Building my first gaming PC in almost 10 years; What games so I NEED to play?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RoboChobo

Jul 20, 2011
COMPANY OF HEROES
Video Review
http://www.gamespot.com/company-of-heroes/videos/company-of-heroes-video-review-6157571/

Best WW2 RTS I've ever played, and if you have a sound system like I do, it really does feel like WW2 happening. Played all 3 CoH and it when its on sale its only $9.99 for the whole collection.

Dragon Age Origins
Video Review
http://www.gamespot.com/dragon-age-origins/videos/dragon-age-origins-video-review-6238644/?

Really good RPG :D took me about 70 hours to complete everything in ultimate edition and it was on sale on steam for $14.99 totally worth it!

FEAR and its expansions like Extraction point

Video Review
http://www.gamespot.com/f-e-a-r/videos/fear-video-review-6160885/
Its a shooter with horror elements, gave me alot of jumps, beat the single player campaigns and moving on to Fear 2.Play in a dark room or dark ambiance to get the feel and use either headphones or good sound system & turn it up!, gave me the frights all the time. Wait for it to go on sale on steam, i think it was $5-10 for the pack :D

I'm in the same boat as the OP, I haven't played PC in such a long time and recently built a new comp and playing these gems that I missed during the years.

schott1984

Jan 24, 2012
Its a shooter with horror elements, gave me alot of jumps, beat the single player campaigns and moving on to Fear 2.Play in a dark room or dark ambiance to get the feel and use either headphones or good sound system & turn it up!, gave me the frights all the time.

Sounds like Doom 3. Man, I loved playing that game in the dark w/ the sound up!

Rambusted

Feb 7, 2012
I am absolutely loving just cause 2, its a great open world game. I think it was only 15$ on steam.

Borderlands is kinda like wow with guns, just an awesome game with a really cool art style. I got that one for 4.99 during a steam sale :))

For multiplayer the tribes series is being resurrected. So far the beta has been pretty cool and its always been my favorite multiplayer series so i am hoping for great success when it goes gold.

queequeg99

Oct 17, 2001
What about Hard Reset? I want some input on that game.

I think Hard Reset has a demo you can get on Steam (pretty sure as I played it). Seemed pretty decent. Has a Blade Runner-eque atmosphere. The game play seemed a little clunky but I did end up buying the full game on a super sale over xmas. However, Skyrim has sucked up all of my game playing time (if you can get Skyrim for $30 when it comes on sale next, do it).

Oct 30, 2004
If you enjoy 4x and RTS, try Sins of a Solar Empire Trinity (or wait for Rebellion to come out). It's a 4x and RTS hybrid. It's one of those ground-breaking games that can define and found a new genre.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
- IF YOU HAVENT PLAYED THEM -

RPG:

Mass Effect, and I guess Mass Effect 2
KOTOR 1 and 2. They both have their issues. 2 has a better interface especially for hi-res displays, but the game itself is incomplete cuz it was shoved out the door too fast. It has a beginning and an end, but parts in the middle (like the bot planet) were left out.
Baldurs Gate 1,2 and expansions. Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2, and expansions.
Easiest way it to go Amazon and find the Forgotten Realms Collectors packs. NWN 1 and 2 also have Platinum editions.
Dragon Age 1 and 2 are supposed to be good, but I never played either.

Elder Scrolls 3, 4, and 5. All of them and expansions can now be found on Steam dirt cheap. Skyrim REQUIRES steam no matter how you buy it.
Fallout 3 and all expansions (also on Steam dirt cheap) and New Vegas with all expansions (requires steam no matter how you buy it).

For all games make sure you go to their nexus sites and play with some mods. Especially mods that improve the UI. Sign up for the sites (free) so you can get the search feature. Just look for UI mods that have a lot of endorsements.
For New Vegas look for mods that add a lot of recipes. (You'll understand when you play the game.)

Supposedly Witcher 1 and 2 are good. But I dont think they are required playing. Ditto Gothic 3 and 4.

RTS:

StarCraft 2, obviously. Not everyone loves it but every PC gamer needs to try it. If you dont feel like pissing away the money find a friend who owns it and watch them. Or watch Youtube videos of actual game play.

Dawn of War 1 provides a better RTS experience but it seems most people prefer Dawn of War 2 for some sick reason.

Act of War, both Direct Action and High Treason. They can be found on Steam dirt cheap.

World in Conflict. I think it has an add-on too.

Empire Earth 1 has no online community any more, and a crappy skirmish mode cuz of cheating AI, but the campaigns are fantastic. Watch youtube videos or read walkthroughs if you get stomped.
Empire Earth 2 is better in a lot of ways but they ripped of many ideas from Rise of Nations.
Dont bother with Empire Earth 3, its a joke.

Rise of Nations, and expansion.

Supreme Commander 1 is good but not everybody loved it. It can be had cheap, with expansion. Check it out.
Supreme Commander 2 is a joke. Dont bother.

I still like Age of Mythology better than a lot of other games.

TBS:

Heroes of Might & Magic 3 is still the best. You can try Heroes 5 and all its expansions if you just NEED 3D, but the gameplay is inferior.

Disciples 2 is the prettiest TBS ever made, but gameplay is difficult for some people.
Dont bother with Disciples 3. Pretty, but no substance and not fun at all.

Lots of arguments as to whether Civilization 4 or 5 is the best. Since both are cheap on Steam I will let you decide.

HACK 'n' SLASH:

Titan Quest and expansion are the best experience currently available.
If you want a lesser game but better online play, go for Torchlight and I think Torchlight 2 is finally out.

Dungeon Siege 1, 2, and 3 can all be had on Steam for a low price, but the style of gameplay varies greatly between them. Kind of off-putting really.

FPS:

Too many to list, and I am of the opinion most of them are unimpressive really. I got worn out a long time ago.
I guess you need to play COD4: Modern Warfare. Crysis. And maybe Just Cause 1&2.

4X:

None have come out except Galactic Civilizations 2. Almost a dead genre. Recommend getting the platinum edition from Steam. Again, dirt cheap.

Nov 3, 2004

am I? Microcenter deal to get the processor/mobo deal, maybe not half price, but like 70-80 bucks cheaper over 6 months ago.

RAM was far cheaper on Newegg with those RipJaws, pretty sure I paid like 25 bucks for 8 GB.

Hard Drives were far cheaper before the Thailand flooding. I got my 2 TB Hitachi for 80 bucks, 70 AR.

I paid 155 AR for my Intel 160 GB SSD, but it had a massive rebate attached, so I guess it doesn't really count.

But in any case, it's still a good build that will provide enjoyment regardless of cost. Just crazy to me that prices have gone up rather than down from a half a year ago.

Last edited:

schott1984

Jan 24, 2012
am I? Microcenter deal to get the processor/mobo deal, maybe not half price, but like 70-80 bucks cheaper over 6 months ago.

RAM was far cheaper on Newegg with those RipJaws, pretty sure I paid like 25 bucks for 8 GB.

Hard Drives were far cheaper before the Thailand flooding. I got my 2 TB Hitachi for 80 bucks, 70 AR.

I paid 155 AR for my Intel 160 GB SSD, but it had a massive rebate attached, so I guess it doesn't really count.

But in any case, it's still a good build that will provide enjoyment regardless of cost. Just crazy to me that prices have gone up rather than down from a half a year ago.

EDIT: Ok I feel like an a-hole now. Sorry dude. I guess I never mentioned it in my original post! I've been wondering why people are giving me so much flak, haha.

I paid $55 for my 750gb hdd (not quite what I show in that list; they don't have that one on there. $550 for cpu,mobo,video,memory,dvd,cooler. $70 for the SSD, and so on. I saved a lot with used parts on fs/ft and rebates/promo codes/sales at newegg. That's just the current price for all those items new.

My final price is $922, including monitor..

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
He'll have to send it over Steam since it's an "e-coupon" that resides in your Steam inventory (seen under the Community section).

I'll have to send some games later tonight. If you're not too interested in it, you can just send it back. You won't hurt my feelings. :p

schott1984

Jan 24, 2012
He'll have to send it over Steam since it's an "e-coupon" that resides in your Steam inventory (seen under the Community section).

I'll have to send some games later tonight. If you're not too interested in it, you can just send it back. You won't hurt my feelings. :p

Cool man. I'll have a look. Appreciate it!

schott1984

Jan 24, 2012
x7y0L.jpg

There she is!

Just got done downloading Skyrim and HD pack. Finishing installing some other apps.

I tell you, that windows and driver install is the fastest I've ever had. Easily under 30 mins!

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I tell you, that windows and driver install is the fastest I've ever had. Easily under 30 mins!

It's really hard to go to a computer without a SSD once you have one with them. It's so bad that I even install SSDs in my HTPCs because I can't stand it if they boot too slowly. :p

schott1984

Jan 24, 2012
Anyone have any tips as far as cable management? I swear it doesn't look as bad in person as it does in the pic...

The only cables in the "air-path" are those SATA data and power cables really. everything else is either tucked under the SSD, zip-tied to the mobo side, or zip-tied to the open side.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
It's really hard to go to a computer without a SSD once you have one with them. It's so bad that I even install SSDs in my HTPCs because I can't stand it if they boot too slowly. :p

>2012
>boot

Also, how fast do your SSD's get things? This is my current rig, a $350 Dell from 2006:

bootucf.jpg

I don't find that particularly bothersome.

Supposedly Witcher 1 and 2 are good. But I dont think they are required playing.

They are more so than NWN2, which you did recommend. NWN2 OC ain't a bad playthrough, but the interface is clunky, the graphics are unimpressive given the year, the story doesn't draw you in, and they obviously scrimped on the final act to rush it out the door. As far as the expansions go, from what I've read it looks like it's absurdly easy to overpower yourself (go TWF Ranger and even basic crafted weapons will have you carving through everything).

The Witcher is great and can be found on sale for $5.

Last edited:

pugh

Sep 8, 2000
To each his own.. You might like using a old 6-7 yrd old pc with a nearly 12 year old OS installed on it. Some of us like to upgrade to faster things..

I can concur with his sentiments and using a SSD.

Again to each his own....