Question Build now or wait for Zen 4?

Spydermag68

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2002
I currently running a Skylake 6700k processor and looking to to a full build upgrade. I am the type of person to build on the high end of systems and hang onto them for a long time.

Currently I am buying parts over time and planning to buy CPU, motherboard and memory all at one time. With the prices of the AMD 5950 dropping and the lower cost said system.

I am a little conflicted about if I should hold out for a ZEN 4 build with potential to upgrade the CPU/GPU sometime in the future.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
Zen 4 will support DDR5 and PCIe 5.0 , but I'll probably wait a little before jumping in. I've had bad luck in the past with platforms that introduce new standards - X99 and DDR4 was the last time. After seeing motherboard prices take a big jump going from PCIe 3 to PCIe 4, I'm afraid to guess what the cost for the next gen will be.

DasFox

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Wait for Zen 4. Lisa Su said it'll have the longevity that the AM4 platform had. So like 2-3 maybe 4 CPU drop-ins if you keep the same board

Well anytime a new platform comes out, it’s more than just waiting on the release, bios, firmware, driver updates, etc., it can be a long road after release before reaching stability.

I usually only buy hardware after it’s been out at least a year. Companies with their BIOS issues/updates, need we say more... LOL

Early Adopter or Stable User, your choice.

Hardware, it’s really about your needs, and pockets...

Ryzen 5 5600x are on sale, still a nice platform, and the ROG Strix B550-F Gaming, if you’re a gamer.

I’d personally give Zen 4, DDR5 and PCIe 5.0, 6-12 months after release, I always wait 6-12 months on any hardware...

Last edited:

DasFox

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
There’s always something going on in the world of hardware to be on the watch for, that’s for sure, and I don’t like being the guinea pig LOL.

I don’t think I’ve ever bought any pc hardware less than a year old. Most of the time it’s all been 18-24 months old when I buy.

I’m building a new box now, just bought a Rog Strix B550-F Gaming with a Ryzen 5 5600x on the way.

I also run Linux, so I really watch out to make sure the hardware has good kernel support too before buying.

Spydermag68

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2002
The last time I built a computer for myself I waited for Skylake to drop and I got an i7-6700K a month later. Right now I have planned out my build. I have a case, a Lian Li Dynamic Evo, two 360 radiators, 10 Corsair fans, hard line tubing and fittings to match my theme. Right now I am waiting for the Zen 4 CPU, Memory, and motherboard.

One of the last things I will be buying is the power supply. The new video cards are monsters with how many watts they will need to run. Also I will be getting custom cables so the final build of the computer most likely will be closer to December. By then there will reviews out on what MB are the most stable and have updated BIOS.

Reactions: BTRY B 529th FA BN

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
I did this on the Intel side and it was a bit of a Cluster-F to deal with all of the moving targets on the HW side.

Thankfully for you AMD heads all of that has shaken out at this point with the biggest issue being DDR5 being scarce and forcing our hands to use DDR4 or pay the $300+ tax on the RAM / MOBO.

There's nothing on the market right now though for PCI5 devices though they're likely to show up around the launches in Q3/Q4.

There's nothing wrong with jumping in head first at launch if you know what you're getting yourself into. I didn't have any issues with the build other than waiting on Linux kernel to update to include provisions for ADL / hybrid CPU instructions. Even without them enabled it still flies for processing files and performing as my all in one router/switch/firewall/NAS/DVR and a few other functions. I don't need a GPU though since it's a headless server so, can't really speak to that.

Switching to a LGA 1700 socket though threw a curveball into the cooler market though initially some were offering adapters for prior kits and some new products came out w/ a slight delay that didn't need to be rigged. There will be likely some slight fitment issues surrounding launch if vendors don't have proper pieces available.

The GPU / PSU thing though could get interesting with the higher output needed for some of the monsters being discussed being 900W and a different connector. I suspect there will be adapters that go inline on the GPU end to converge a couple of leads from the PSU in the new socket on the cards. There should be new PSU cables though to accommodate them around the same time as GPU releases though.

It's all a bit of speculation but, reasonable to expect things to come together around the same time.

Reactions: Spydermag68