Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
PLEASE when you POST threads asking for input on system builds tell us...

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

Used for VR to power an HTC Vive

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

$1200 give or take a few ;)

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

US

4. IF you're buying parts OUTSIDE the US, please post a link to the vendor you'll be buying from.
We can't be expected to scour the internet on your behalf, chasing down deals in your specific country... Again, help us, help YOU.

5. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you anIntel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy,Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc.

Considering i7-6700K (I think that would be decent for VR plus hopefully I can get a bit more juice out of her by OC'ing.). Got HDD's, Need DD4 memory. Need good and efficient PSU and heatsink fan for the CPU. Have a GTX 970 now, so nvidia would be my choice GFX card (would i need to bump up to a faster GPU?) Also a proper PC case.

6. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

SSD's and HDD's, mouse/keyboard, flat panels, and i think that's it.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system atdefault speeds.

Will probably OC a bit. Not 100% sure if i'll do it.

8. What resolution, not monitor size, will you be using?

1x 1920x1200 and 1x1920x1080 (main monitor) so 1080P gaming for now. Probably go 4K early Next Year.

9. WHEN do you plan to build it?
Note that it is usually not cost or time effective to choose your build more than a month before you actually plan to be using it.

Friday :p

10. Do you need to purchase any software to go with the system, such as Windows or Blu Ray playback software?

No software necessary.

Basically i'm trying to build a rig that can sustain close to 90fps (yes I know we are 100% there yet). I'd also like to enable super sampling in VR to increase quality as well. Trying to order the parts tonight from Newegg.com for pickup at their warehouse. Any and all input appreciated. :)

Last edited:

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I would plan on using the 1070 and 1080 based video cards. This build will cost you more then $1200 to put together.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Max spending is $1800. 1070 and most likely the 1080 is in my budget. it's a must have for VR.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
OK, here's the basics. I wasn't sure if you'd overclock, so I didn't get you a better HSF. And you could SLI if you could afford it and you could find the HB bridge required.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: *Zalman CNPS10X OPTIMA CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: *MSI Z170A SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($89.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($129.99 @ Newegg)- On the mobo's memory compatibility list.
Video Card: *Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 8GB AMP! Edition Video Card ($676.98 @ Newegg)
Case: *Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($60.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: *Deepcool 750W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($63.75 @ Newegg)
Total: $1361.67
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-18 18:24 EDT-0400

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
OK, here's the basics. I wasn't sure if you'd overclock, so I didn't get you a better HSF. And you could SLI if you could afford it and you could find the HB bridge required.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: *Zalman CNPS10X OPTIMA CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: *MSI Z170A SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($89.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($129.99 @ Newegg)- On the mobo's memory compatibility list.
Video Card: *Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 8GB AMP! Edition Video Card ($676.98 @ Newegg)
Case: *Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($60.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: *Deepcool 750W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($63.75 @ Newegg)
Total: $1361.67
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-18 18:24 EDT-0400
Holy crap. Thanks so much for the detailed breakdown. This helps tremendously.

Does everyone think this should do the job for VR?

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
I'm thinking about changing the memory to 2x8GB so I can upgrade to 32GB if I need to in the future.

Not familiar with deep cool. Is that a good quality power supply?

And the case. Is it just a basic case or does it have bells and whistles too?

DSF

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2007
I'm thinking about changing the memory to 2x8GB so I can upgrade to 32GB if I need to in the future.

Not familiar with deep cool. Is that a good quality power supply?

And the case. Is it just a basic case or does it have bells and whistles too?
What sort of bells and whistles are you looking for in a case?

The 200R is a nice model for a simple homebuild. It's well-regarded and has nice modern features like toolless drive bays and cable-routing cut-outs. The USB ports and power button are located at the top since most people nowadays leave their tower on the floor unless it's very compact.

Is there anything else you were looking for in a case?

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
What sort of bells and whistles are you looking for in a case?

The 200R is a nice model for a simple homebuild. It's well-regarded and has nice modern features like toolless drive bays and cable-routing cut-outs. The USB ports and power button are located at the top since most people nowadays leave their tower on the floor unless it's very compact.

Is there anything else you were looking for in a case?

Nope, case looks simple and perfect for my needs. Thanks.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Order came up to $1,505.36 in total. I ordered the CPU, GTX 1080 and Arctic Silver 5 from Amazon and the rest from Newegg.com

Also was able to get the free 2 Day ShopRunner using my AMEX card + $55 off using my AMEX points, so grand total is $1,450.36 which isn't too bad.

I just hope Newegg delivers the other part of my order (CPU Cooler, Power Supply, and Case), which was not ShopRunner eligible before the end of the week. That would screw my weekend build plans up completely.

Thanks for all of the input.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Thanks man. If Newegg doesn't have my stuff here by Friday i'm SOL until the weekend after :(

They have a warehouse in NJ so i'm going to ASSume it will ship out and arrive Thursday or Friday.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Well Newegg let me down. Got my case yesterday, today i'm getting my motherboard and RAM. Power Supply and CPU Cooler......Saturday.

This does not work for me. I'd waste all day Saturday waiting for FEDEX to come when I could be assembling and installing OS, stress testing, etc, Friday night and most of the morning on Saturday.

Unfortunately today I ordered:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IKDETOC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E0EXYDC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It arrives today so I should be able to get everything installed and the OS up and running. Gives me a jump on the weekend so I can actually enjoy some gaming.

I probably won't do much shopping on Newegg for stuff that's critical. Anyone know if Newegg has a restocking fee for the items I need to return?

EDIT: Newegg used to be the fastest shipper for me back in the day. For some reason on this order everything is broken up into 3 separate shipments from 3 different locations. The Saturday shipping coming from CA. Had I known before I clicked the order button where items were being shipped from, I would have cancelled the shipment from CA and did a local pickup for something that was in stock.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
It depends on where they have stock of the item(s) you ordered. I get shipped items from many different Amazon warehouses and fulfillment centers as well with Prime.

If you have a Shoprunner account, you get 2-day shipping from Newegg (on most items).

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
So you will have to wait a few extra days, big deal.

maybe you have an unlimited amount of free time, but M-F i'm out of the house by 7 and home by 8pm. Very little free time to be had before i have to go to sleep.

Rinse and repeat. :p

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
It depends on where they have stock of the item(s) you ordered. I get shipped items from many different Amazon warehouses and fulfillment centers as well with Prime.

If you have a Shoprunner account, you get 2-day shipping from Newegg (on most items).

Shoprunner worked great for the case, and the mobo and RAM i'm getting today. I just wish that I knew in advance that they were breaking this up into multiple shipments and from what location, that way I could have expedited the shipment or shopped somewhere else If I knew it wasn't going to arrive in time before the weekend.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Shoprunner worked great for the case, and the mobo and RAM i'm getting today. I just wish that I knew in advance that they were breaking this up into multiple shipments and from what location, that way I could have expedited the shipment or shopped somewhere else If I knew it wasn't going to arrive in time before the weekend.

Yeah, back when they were a 'little' company, everything came from California. Now they have locations in TN an NJ. I live in NC, and when I place a large order from them, it always seems like it will be split into 2-3 shipping orders. It has to be more expensive for them by doing that, but they just must not stock all items at all locations for whatever reason.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Been running ok since late, late, late Friday 8/26 - today.

I've been out of the game since 2011 when I built my 2500K, but what are some good utilities to benchmark or stress test the GPU and the CPU, etc? I want to burn in my components before I overclock.