BSOD "clock watchdog timeout"

Leoplate25

Apr 7, 2019
Hi, i just ran the intel burn test at stock speeds with my Intel i5-9600k (4.3ghz) and my ram at 3000mhz with XMP enabled (Corsair Vengeance Led White) to check system stability and i get this BSOD: "clock watchdog timeout". If i disable Turbo Boost, the test passes just fine. Mother is a Maximus Hero XI WiFi. What could it be? Thanks!

Full setup:

i5-9600k
ASUS Maximus Hero XI WiFi
2x8gb Corsair Vengeance Led White
EVGA GTX 1070 ti SC
Corsair H100i v2
BitFenix Whisper M 750w
SSD Samgung EVO 840 250gb
SSD Samgung EVO 860 1tb
Thermaltake Versa H34
3x Thermaltake Riing White 120mm​

Last edited:

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I have the same motherboard with a 9700K and Corsair 3200MHz memory and I had similar issues when my memory was set to stock or XMP 2. I have no idea why, all of the parts are fine. I'd definitely flash the BIOS and then try the other XMP settings. When my system is misbehaving, Prime 95's 12K FFTs fail immediately.

I almost sent everything back to Amazon, it was super frustrating. I'm not sure I'll trust ASUS after all of this, but it's interesting to see someone else with the problem.

Leoplate25

Apr 7, 2019
I have the same motherboard with a 9700K and Corsair 3200MHz memory and I had similar issues when my memory was set to stock or XMP 2. I have no idea why, all of the parts are fine. I'd definitely flash the BIOS and then try the other XMP settings. When my system is misbehaving, Prime 95's 12K FFTs fail immediately.

I almost sent everything back to Amazon, it was super frustrating. I'm not sure I'll trust ASUS after all of this, but it's interesting to see someone else with the problem.
Tried XMP, XMP 2, auto and every single one failed with turbo boost enabled on the CPU. I change the voltage from auto to offset mode + 0.025 and till now i am running prime95 custom test min fft 512k, max 4096 and ram set to 3/4 of the total memory (12288mb).

Leoplate25

Apr 7, 2019

Memory is fine. I don't know what's going on. It's all on auto, except the RAM (XMP 1). In fact i had the BSOD with XMP disabled, running the cpu at stock settings on auto. Could the cpu receive less voltage than it needed on auto settings???
Here are some captures of Prime95 26.6 custom test (512k, 4096k, 12288mb), CPU-Z and CoreTemp. Do you think everything is fine?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IW-us6KXxeBSS13saes_jpYWTl3a9Oft

Last edited:

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019
Highly likely not enough Vcore. Auto settings are either not right or perhaps the mobo has a problem. I'd set both core and LLC manually and see if it's stable.

Leoplate25

Apr 7, 2019
Highly likely not enough Vcore. Auto settings are either not right or perhaps the mobo has a problem. I'd set both core and LLC manually and see if it's stable.
Thanks. I am kind of a noob and i don't know how to properly rise voltages and set llc. Can you give me some tips? Thanks again.

Leoplate25

Apr 7, 2019
If it helps, here's some info from my BIOS:

View attachment 4965

View attachment 4966
Thanks for taking the time and send me these pics. I have the same config. I am thinking this: could it be the last bios update that have some issues? i have noticed that you don't have the last bios and it's working fine for you. Thanks again!!! I have an error on OCCT and it stopped at 6.18 mins. Here are the pics: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FYysJS04W6wZkU_szINqV7Wxj_qi77zm
I don't know what the error was. Could you give me a hand with that?

Leoplate25

Apr 7, 2019
If it helps, here's some info from my BIOS:

View attachment 4965

View attachment 4966
I ran OCCT test again and i had a BSOD AGAIN!!! It gave me an error while i was running it with +0.025v via ThrottleStop. Now i'm running the OCCT test again with a + offset of 0.050v. I'll let you know how it goes. The BSOD pops up inmediately.

Edit Update: I ran the OCCT test again with the offset and it ran flawlessly.
Edit 2: I roll back to your BIOS version and i'm running some tests.

Last edited:

JoeRambo

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2013
VCCIO / SA voltages are crazy for just 3000 speed, MB is overzealous after enabling XMP and setting them, well north of what is required for 3000 operation.

I'd reset the bios and see what autos are for them ( or just dialin 1.05 - 1.075V for both) and see if it helps with stability.

XMP overall is quite bad idea to use, as it contains a small subset of timings + voltage to set and leaves the rest of the settings for MB BIOS to set. In fact internet lore is that some of what XMP "setup" does is not exposed in BIOS and BIOS clear is required to get rid of it.

Manual DRAM OC is the way to go, dialin 3000 , 1.35 memory volts, VCCIO/SA voltages as above and set primaries as on your sticks ( and don't forget that modern mobos are incredibly picky about the DIMM slots, usually 2 and 4 need to be filled before 1 and 3 from CPU, find it in your manual ).

Leoplate25

Apr 7, 2019
To fix it try updating the systen drivers and run the SFC command to fix the error. But if this on't works for you the diagnose memory for problems. follow the steps to do so:

Step 1: Go to the Cortana’s search box and search for the “memory“.
Step 2: Now, click on the Windows Memory Diagnostic from the search results.
Step 3: After it, choose the Restart now and check for problems (recommended).
Step 4: Your system will boot and the Memory Diagnostics Tool will run automatically. This process will take a few minutes to complete the Windows Memory testing.

Hope this works for you
RAM is fine. I did a memtest too. Thanks!!

Leoplate25

Apr 7, 2019
VCCIO / SA voltages are crazy for just 3000 speed, MB is overzealous after enabling XMP and setting them, well north of what is required for 3000 operation.

I'd reset the bios and see what autos are for them ( or just dialin 1.05 - 1.075V for both) and see if it helps with stability.

XMP overall is quite bad idea to use, as it contains a small subset of timings + voltage to set and leaves the rest of the settings for MB BIOS to set. In fact internet lore is that some of what XMP "setup" does is not exposed in BIOS and BIOS clear is required to get rid of it.

Manual DRAM OC is the way to go, dialin 3000 , 1.35 memory volts, VCCIO/SA voltages as above and set primaries as on your sticks ( and don't forget that modern mobos are incredibly picky about the DIMM slots, usually 2 and 4 need to be filled before 1 and 3 from CPU, find it in your manual ).
Even with XMP disabled, i have BSOD's. I don't know if the mobo isn't giving the CPU enough voltage even at stock clocks. I have noticed auto LLC is at 7, should i change that? Will it help if i post my BIOS settings (pictures) here?

Leoplate25

Apr 7, 2019

HisEvilness

Mar 23, 2019
www.hisevilness.com
Hi! No, i don't have another CPU. I'm using the PC without turbo boost and with XMP enabled without problems... :/
Yes i saw that XMP was not the problem, watchdog usually means the cpu runs out of step, I had this as well a couple of times when doing a overclock the clock was almost stable only needed a slight volt increase or I was too generous with the Rin BUS OC, running ringbus on 43 with boost is stable?

Leoplate25

Apr 7, 2019
Yes i saw that XMP was not the problem, watchdog usually means the cpu runs out of step, I had this as well a couple of times when doing a overclock the clock was almost stable only needed a slight volt increase or I was too generous with the Rin BUS OC, running ringbus on 43 with boost is stable?
Hi, i'm kind of a noob when it comes to oc. The thing is: if i run the cpu at stock, with turbo boost enabled and xmp enabled, i have bsod's. I am not even overclocking the system. Next time i bought a locked cpu. How can i increase the voltage at stock and how can i put the ringbus at 43? Thanks!!!

EDIT: Should i put the cpu multiplier at 43 in all cores?

HisEvilness

Mar 23, 2019
www.hisevilness.com
Hi, i'm kind of a noob when it comes to oc. The thing is: if i run the cpu at stock, with turbo boost enabled and xmp enabled, i have bsod's. I am not even overclocking the system. Next time i bought a locked cpu. How can i increase the voltage at stock and how can i put the ringbus at 43? Thanks!!!
The guide I linked in my previous reply is for the 8086k but on the Hero XI motherboard, you can follow the steps since the 8086k and 9***K are the same.
The difference mainly will be the voltages needed for getting to a stable OC but the settings for the rest will remain exactly the same.

Covers the ringbus for the motherboard, but take it from step 1 and set everything up the only difference will be, some other people here posted their volts(vcore) so you can use those as a stepping stone.
https://www.hisevilness.com/articles/technology/intel-i7-ocing-the-8086k-on-z390.html?start=4

Leoplate25

Apr 7, 2019
The guide I linked in my previous reply is for the 8086k but on the Hero XI motherboard, you can follow the steps since the 8086k and 9***K are the same.
The difference mainly will be the voltages needed for getting to a stable OC but the settings for the rest will remain exactly the same.

Covers the ringbus for the motherboard, but take it from step 1 and set everything up the only difference will be, some other people here posted their volts(vcore) so you can use those as a stepping stone.
https://www.hisevilness.com/articles/technology/intel-i7-ocing-the-8086k-on-z390.html?start=4
Can i put 43 on CPU core ratio? And in "min" and "max" cpu cache ratio, how much should i put for 4.3? Another question: when you do a cold boot in your maximus xi, it turns on, off for 3 seconds and on again? How much voltage should i put for 4.3ghz? Should i put manual, offset + or adaptive? Some people told me that is normal and it's called memory training, is that right? Thanks again!!!!

HisEvilness

Mar 23, 2019
www.hisevilness.com
Can i put 43 on CPU core ratio? And in "min" and "max" cpu cache ratio, how much should i put for 4.3? Another question: when you do a cold boot in your maximus xi, it turns on, off for 3 seconds and on again? How much voltage should i put for 4.3ghz? Should i put manual, offset + or adaptive? Some people told me that is normal and it's called memory training, is that right? Thanks again!!!!

Ringbus is not the CPU core ration that is the speed at the CPU components talk to each other, CPU core ratio is the Ghz overclock you want to achieve, ring bus does not offer much in terms of achieving more performance so my recommendation is to use 43 that is the stock speed.
Manual input is easier and is also covered in the guide. Looks like people here dailed in 1.075 in vcore, LLC 6 or 7, memory training is just to make sure your ram works and it working just fine. Looking at some random numbers for the 9600k, stay UNDER 1.4vcore, 1.325 to 1.375 for 5ghz OC is normal make sure the temps do not exceed 80c

Leoplate25

Apr 7, 2019
Ringbus is not the CPU core ration that is the speed at the CPU components talk to each other, CPU core ratio is the Ghz overclock you want to achieve, ring bus does not offer much in terms of achieving more performance so my recommendation is to use 43 that is the stock speed.
Manual input is easier and is also covered in the guide. Looks like people here dailed in 1.075 in vcore, LLC 6 or 7, memory training is just to make sure your ram works and it working just fine. Looking at some random numbers for the 9600k, stay UNDER 1.4vcore, 1.325 to 1.375 for 5ghz OC is normal make sure the temps do not exceed 80c
I got 69 degrees C in IntelBurn Test at stock clocks (4.3ghz), and 67 in OCCT. I think i get a bad chip or my cooler isn't good enough (Corsair H100i v2). I don't think i can even reach 4.5, hahaha! I onlye need the cpu running fine at stock clocks. Should i add 0.050v offset +? Will it be enough? I do not know how much voltage i've got at 4.3. I'll run Prime95 and i let you know.

HisEvilness

Mar 23, 2019
www.hisevilness.com
4.3 is very low clock speed on par with 1st gen Ryzen the chip should be able to reach 5.0ghz unless it is really bad then your talking 4.8ghz to 4.9ghz.
Just dail in 50 on the core ration sync all cores and put in on manual 1.35 vcore and see if that boots, do some stress tests when it does boot. If that fails dail in 49 on the core ration rinse and repeat.

Leoplate25

Apr 7, 2019
4.3 is very low clock speed on par with 1st gen Ryzen the chip should be able to reach 5.0ghz unless it is really bad then your talking 4.8ghz to 4.9ghz.
Just dail in 50 on the core ration sync all cores and put in on manual 1.35 vcore and see if that boots, do some stress tests when it does boot. If that fails dail in 49 on the core ration rinse and repeat.

These are voltages and temps i got at 4.3ghz (stock):

OCCT: voltage 1.083v to 1.110v - 63 degrees C maximum
Prime95 v26.6: 1.048v to 1.057v - 59 degrees C maximum
CineBench R15: 1.066v
On BIOS: 1.119v to 1.128v

HisEvilness

Mar 23, 2019
www.hisevilness.com
43 Was for the ringbus that is not the CPU, so forget that for now. Using the same volts set it to 44, boot, stress test, on pass go back to bios, dail in 45, boot, stress test, repeat increase until it fails.

9600K has a boost up to 4.6ghz, stock is 3.7Ghz just to make a note of that.