Brownie Mix: If I don't use an Egg, will they just come out chewier/less cake like?

acidvoodoo

Platinum Member
Jan 6, 2002
i just found one of those Betty Crocker Brownie mixes in my cupboard. It ses to add water, oil, and one egg. Now, i don't have any eggs, and i can't really be arsed to go get some, and i want brownies, dammit :D

So, if i don't add an egg, rather add abit more oil instead, will i egg up with thin/chewy brownies, rather then the cake like ones. I actually like thin chewy brownies anyway.

advice?

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
I think you can substitute applesauce for an egg. I am not sure though of the taste effects, though I can't see it being any worse than it being too oily.

acidvoodoo

Platinum Member
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by: datalink7
Just add weed... everything tastes fine when you have the munchies ;)

if i can't be arsed goin to the store to get eggs, i can't be arsed goin out to find a friend to get weed ;)

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Oh man, who's the guy on the forums that had his GF bring him brownies while he was sick? She had a good egg substitute :D

(can't find the thread that story was from...)

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Originally posted by: geno
Oh man, who's the guy on the forums that had his GF bring him brownies while he was sick? She had a good egg substitute :D

:Q

Spac3d

Banned
Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by: WinkOsmosis

hehe

Grasshopper27

Banned
Sep 11, 2002

That would be funnier if it was the guy bringing her the brownies...

*mind in the gutter*

: ) Hopper

arcas

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2001
Generally those one-egg recipes already create chewy brownies (they usually say something like add an extra egg or two if you want cake-like brownies). Leaving the eggs out entirely might result in something that resembles thick pudding moreso than brownies... :D

acidvoodoo

Platinum Member
Jan 6, 2002

eggs=high in protein, similar to something else

well, i can see a correlation

but, that's discusting :p

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Yeah, if I could only find the thread the guy posted the story in, I'd have a great quote :)

GtPrOjEcTX

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by: murphy55d
I think you can substitute applesauce for an egg. I am not sure though of the taste effects, though I can't see it being any worse than it being too oily.
I think you substitute applesauce for the oil....I've never tried it w/o the egg.

And you don't appleize it...it doesn't taste like apple...I think it tastes better.

acidvoodoo

Platinum Member
Jan 6, 2002
well its ok now, someone else was goin out and i aksed to pick up some eggs for me, so i'll just have to wait a little longer

Yo Ma Ma

Lifer
Jan 21, 2000
Originally posted by: GtPrOjEcTX
Originally posted by: murphy55d
I think you substitute applesauce for the oil....I've never tried it w/o the egg.

And you don't appleize it...it doesn't taste like apple...I think it tastes better.
Yep, applesauce is sub'd for the oil... not sure what would happen with no egg at all, I think the egg binds it all together. What the heck, give it a try, it'll still be chocolate :)

sciencetoy

Oct 10, 2001
I can't believe i know this, but --

Egg does a few things: adds liquid, helps it rise, adds body.

You can leave out the egg, add some extra liquid and a tiny bit of baking powder type stuff to make it rise.

For some reason, a banana works reasonably well as an egg substitute too.

Or just make it without the egg, add a bit more liquid, and it won't rise but it'll be flatter and good.

Rastus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
If you don't put egg in it, it will be real bad. Trust me on this one guys, been there, done that. It sets up like concrete when it bakes without egg.

Kaieye

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I saw this thread about one hr. ago and I have another 15 mins. for my brownies to finish.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I wouldn't think no eggs would be good, but on the big box of brownies that requires 2 eggs I made them with one and they were good.

No eggs, I think they would fall apart or turn into a non-brownie substance.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
By popular request:

So I had a girlfriend for all of 9 months. She dropped by one afternoon when I was sick with a pan of brownies and a video tape with the simpsons on it (my favorite show). so I start eating the brownies and turn on the tape. midway through it, it cuts to her ******* off some dude. he **** in her mouth, she looks at the camera, and says "you're dumped. enjoy the brownies" - and spits the mouthful of *** into a bowl of brownie mix. ****ed up huh? I want to die.

Grasshopper27

Banned
Sep 11, 2002
Originally posted by: Millennium
By popular request:

So I had a girlfriend for all of 9 months. She dropped by one afternoon when I was sick with a pan of brownies and a video tape with the simpsons on it (my favorite show). so I start eating the brownies and turn on the tape. midway through it, it cuts to her ******* off some dude. he **** in her mouth, she looks at the camera, and says "you're dumped. enjoy the brownies" - and spits the mouthful of *** into a bowl of brownie mix. ****ed up huh? I want to die.
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.......................................................

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Millennium
By popular request:

LMFAO!