Brony@Home would like to formally challenge Team AnandTech

tiwake

Jul 15, 2017
On behalf of the Brony@Home folding@home team, I would like to challenge TeamAnandTech to a folding@home competition.

Normally our competitions run for two months. It would be preferred if the competition ran from 0UTC January 1st 2018 at the beginning of the year, and end at 0UTC March 1st 2018

The date and duration is not firm, but it is the most preferred for us. We are quite flexible though. If the duration and date is not desirable, please let me know so we can make it more agreeable.

If you accept this challenge, we have much work to do. But I believe we can, with the power of friendship, be a formidable opponent.

--Tiwake

798752.png

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
TeAm AnandTech is primarily a BOINC team, with one die-hard Folding Master. We do however hold an annual team Folding competition for the month of December, and many of us (in the Northern Hemisphere) tend to fold some on into January. I am not sure we would want to commit to a two month challenge, but if you can start on December 1st, I believe we would gladly like to compare scores with your team through January 1st.

And speaking of your team, my congratulations on your rise amongst the ranks! Very impressive ppd!

PS: To the TeAm: Tom's hardware has passed us. Grrr.

Reactions: Ken g6

tiwake

Jul 15, 2017
Brony@Home started off as a folding@home team and later expanded into the various other BOINC projects... heh

Would it be more agreeable to have the competition from December 1st to February 1st? Our (normally internal) competitions are that long because we give away prizes to our team members based on a raffle concept (more points is more tickets). It would be kind of silly to have a competition with videocards as prizes without some marginal amount of effort put in. Also the spinup time too... heh.. as people learn about the competition, and new people getting involved with bonus points and such, peak PPD does not even really happen till 4-5 weeks in from the start of the competition, normally.

I do thank you for the compliment. your last competition was pretty impressive too, peaking at 50mill points/day :3

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Speaking for myself only, I would likely participate, since it probably won't interfere with any Formula BOINC sprints.

iwajabitw

Aug 19, 2014
Speaking for myself only, I would likely participate, since it probably won't interfere with any Formula BOINC sprints.
+1
I know I owe Mark some F@H for all his Formula help. 2 months is a long race, but what the heck...

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I was close to maxed out on my apt power circuits (I think, based on estimates), last Dec. I don't have a particularly efficient set of GPUs.

Reactions: HutchinsonJC

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Is this CPU or GPU ? and did you say 2 months ? I just got my electric bill, and it went from $478 to $364 and thats with ALL CPU clients shot off, and 30% of the GPU clients shut down. Let me know more details, and I will think about it.

tiwake

Jul 15, 2017
Is this CPU or GPU? and did you say 2 months? ... Let me know more details, and I will think about it.
2 months, any computing device to run folding@home on is fair game (I hear there is an android client these days). What other details do you want to know? We are flexible with the starting date.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Now that I am awake (I was up for 24 yours yesterday, first day of vacation), I would say lets do it the month of December, and Jan 2018 (if you can't agree to just the December race). Like Tony said, we can only get the team to agree to everyone doing it except December.

Last edited:

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
As I see it, if we can run the challenge from December 1, 2017, to January 31, 2018. I am prepared to coordinate the TeAm's participation.
This would fit very nice with our 12th Annual Folding@Home Holiday Season Race.
We would run the 12th ... Race as usually from December 1, 2017 to January 1, 2018 and those who are so inclined would continue to fold until January 31, 2018 for the Challenge. I would be interested in both events.
IIRC we have also a challenge for a repeat of the the 2-weeks race against Tom's Hardware team. We can run all of theses events without any trouble ...
We have our rules for the for the 12th ... Race (see below). I hope that those rules are not a problem ...

From the previous 11 races:
Here are the rules:

1: Have fun.
2: Let others have fun.
3: Crunch as much as you can, as often as you can and as efficiently as you can.
4: Assimilating computers, adding members to the teams, switching teams and borghing is allowed.
5: (Sid's rule) Whistle while you work; DON'T whistle while you sip.
6: (Sid's rule) No pouting.

Comment: Sid is a member of the TeAm. He has, unfortunately, not been active for quite a few years ... but we keep his two rules anyway.

For members of TeAm AnandTech:
  • Please post in this thread if you intend to take part. - Comment: We have a special race thread for the competition.
  • If you need help installing or running the F@H app go to: http://folding.stanford.edu/home/ or ask for help here. The TeAm AnandTech number is 198. [Edit by Smoke]
  • I'll put the sub-teams together one day before the race but the discussion about who will race against whom is open.
  • Please remember: joining and recruiting (as well as borghing, assimilating and upgrading hardware) is allowed and encouraged.
  • Once the race is started, I decide into which team the new members go.
  • Please follow your good sense and your employer's/friend's rules if you are considering to use computers which do not belong to you!
From the race in December 2016: For members of Hardware Canucks Folding Team and Tom's Hardware Folding Team:
  • The only score which counts are the Folding@Home scores.
  • Rules 1 - 6 apply (see above).
  • Please remember: joining, recruiting as well as borghing, assimilating and upgrading hardware is allowed and encouraged.
  • Please follow your good sense and your employer's/friend's rules if you are considering to use computers which do not belong to you! You are allowed to use computers which are used for testing in reviews ( ;) Tom's Hardware)
  • The Distributed Computing forum is a very polite forum. Please follow the forum rules. "Badmouthing", a mild degree of non-personal harassment is tolerated, personal attacks are not. Comment: the mod "Smoke" decides what is "mild" and what is out of bounds in this forum
  • I'll keep track of the racing teams' scores. However, since I am merely a human being and thus prone to make mistakes now and then (I do try to check and double check ...) other stats-masters and stats-wizards are encouraged to do their own stats. When errors are found, please post in this thread, and the errors will be corrected.
Let us discuss the rules above. We are quite flexible and would really like a good competition. All comments (i.e. from the TeAm members as well as from the members of Brony@Home folding@home team) are very welcome.

indydude345

Nov 5, 2016
This seems like an interesting challenge. Should have a few more systems up and running by then... so I'm definitely in.

tiwake

Jul 15, 2017
Could you guys persuade the other two teams to go two months as well? This would be a lot of fun... at least 20% more fun. Remember, more science is more better.

The defined set of rules from the previous competitions are good for us. I did pay close attention to you guys for your last competition. Perhaps turn this into an annual thing as well. ;)

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Could you guys persuade the other two teams to go two months as well? This would be a lot of fun... at least 20% more fun. Remember, more science is more better.

The defined set of rules from the previous competitions are good for us. I did pay close attention to you guys for your last competition. Perhaps turn this into an annual thing as well. ;)

Nice that the rules are OK with you ...
About persuading the other two teams ... I don't honestly know. I think we overwhelmed the Canadian team too much for a rematch, but it may be possible.
Tom's Hardware's folding team was for two weeks only because the owners of the web-site wanted to donate to a charity before Christmas. I don't know if a similar situation will arise again ... parhaps we should check ... ;)

PCTC2

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2007
This intrigues me. I wonder if I will participate for the first time in a few years. Generally, 99% of the points I have in F@H were through December races, borging as many machines as possible. :p

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I'm in, with whatever GPUs I can muster for the cause. (Might not do CPU, because it seems like a waste to use CPUs for F@H, when GPUs score so much higher, and CPUs can be put to better use elsewhere, on CPU-only projects. However, I can potentially be convinced of using CPUs for F@H, if you all think that it would make a difference.)

What GPUs do better at F@H? NVidia or AMD? I've got a GT630/730 in one Ryzen box, and a 4GB RX 460 in another. Both could be potentially swapped out, for either an R9 270X, or a GTX1050ti 4GB.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Nvidia does better for F@H and the 10 series are VERY power efficient.