broken tail light ticket UPDATE NUMBER 2

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

venkman

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2007
Originally posted by: RGN
Originally posted by: BHeemsoth
Originally posted by: venkman
With property tax revenue down due to falling property values, municipalities are putting increasing pressure on police to generate ticket revenue. This is only the beginning.

Property values as computed by municipalities are quite different from actual selling prices on the market.

Most municipalities have some form of a mathematical formula to determine value.

The current real estate market has no bearing on government determined property values.

Correct. Also, there are many localities that have no incoming revenue from property tax. The tax paid goes to the county and schools, not the local government.

I can't speak for everywhere, but I know that my parents' property tax bill was more than a $1000 less this year.

Sphexi

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2005
Way to be a douche. If I got your little letter I'd still stick you with the ticket and court costs. Next time try being polite.

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Sphexi
Way to be a douche. If I got your little letter I'd still stick you with the ticket and court costs. Next time try being polite.

No kidding. That's a real dick of a letter.

ELopes580

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Originally posted by: CasioTech
I wasted no time contacting my local PD and voicing my opinion on behalf of my g/f in this regard.

"An incompetent officer pulled me over and gave me a ticket for a faulty brake light. I later researched and found that in the state of Florida you are permitted to only have 2 out of 3 brake lights working. I did in fact have 2 out of 3 brake lights working and was still pulled over for 1 faulty brake light and issued a citation. Now I have to pay for dismissal and waste time going to a court house because of an officer's incompetence. This is both an outrage and waste of the systems resources. In addition my record is and always has been flawless in my 5+ years of driving.

the badge number is supposedly 7*** and the citation number is 2***-***.

Thank you,
Idiot Boy.

Yea good one there bud. Why don't you just call 911 on the phone right now and tell them all how stupid they are. I am sure you will get first rate service when they show up at your door with cuffs and the baton.

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005
Uhhh... WTF were you thinking when you sent that letter?

Better yet, WTF were you thinking when you wrote it? Do you think the cops give a crap about your research into Florida law? Even if your research is correct, there's not much the police can do now about your ticket- take it to court, give the explanation to the judge (along with your research), and everything will work itself out fine.

All you've done now is ensure the police officer will be there when it goes to court, and will testify that he saw more than one brake light out. Now prove him wrong, or try to. You will only end up looking like a whiny liar, even if you are telling the full truth.

CasioTech

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2000
say what you want, if everyone wrote letters about matters like these we might have a better system. I won't be saying things like these when we'll go to court of course but I feel my letter is appropriate as a complaint.

I don't know how many of you pay taxes but I am outraged that my tax dollars go to stopping people with a broken brake light and not enforcing speeding, DUI and other issues associated with a holiday as large as Memorial Day which are far more important.

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
say what you want, if everyone wrote letters about matters like these we might have a better system. I won't be saying things like these when we'll go to court of course but I feel my letter is appropriate as a complaint.

I don't know how many of you pay taxes but I am outraged that my tax dollars go to stopping people with a broken brake light and not enforcing speeding, DUI and other issues associated with a holiday as large as Memorial Day which are far more important.

Yeah, how dare they enforce the law.

CasioTech

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2000
Originally posted by: QED
Uhhh... WTF were you thinking when you sent that letter?

Better yet, WTF were you thinking when you wrote it? Do you think the cops give a crap about your research into Florida law? Even if your research is correct, there's not much the police can do now about your ticket- take it to court, give the explanation to the judge (along with your research), and everything will work itself out fine.

All you've done now is ensure the police officer will be there when it goes to court, and will testify that he saw more than one brake light out. Now prove him wrong, or try to. You will only end up looking like a whiny liar, even if you are telling the full truth.

it says faulty brake LIGHT (not lights.) I wouldn't be surprised to see him show up and lie outright though which will further prove my point.

They probably won't care about any email about anything. I voiced my opinion which may or may not make a difference and that's all I care about.

ELopes580

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Dude just STFU and go visit the next thread about the smoked meat. I'm sure you'd enjoy that thread due to self interest. You are either tensed or stupid.

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
I wasted no time contacting my local PD and voicing my opinion on behalf of my g/f in this regard.

"An incompetent officer pulled me over and gave me a ticket for a faulty brake light. I later researched and found that in the state of Florida you are permitted to only have 2 out of 3 brake lights working. I did in fact have 2 out of 3 brake lights working and was still pulled over for 1 faulty brake light and issued a citation. Now I have to pay for dismissal and waste time going to a court house because of an officer's incompetence. This is both an outrage and waste of the systems resources. In addition my record is and always has been flawless in my 5+ years of driving.

the badge number is supposedly 7*** and the citation number is 2***-***.

Thank you,
J*****.

Making a false statement?

But seriously. Here seems to be the actual Florida State Statutes on brake lights:

Title XXIII Chapter 316.221 (1)

Title XXIII Chapter 316.222 (1)

EDIT: The officer should have written the statute number that was broken. What is it?

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005

Your letter is not appropriate as a complaint. An appropriate complaint is well-thought out and reasoned, has an appropriatately detailed explanation of your grievance, and concludes with a reasonable remedy for the situation. Your letter contained none of that.

It will change nothing, except ensure that the cop will see you in court, and the next time they pull you over they will write you up for everything they can find.

CasioTech

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Born2bwire

Yeah, how dare they enforce the law.

you mean how dare they NOT enforce the law. 1/3 broken brake lights isn't braking any laws.

My options are to pay a fee to dismiss the citation (which we will not do out of principle, for a citation which shouldn't have occurred.) Go to court which will cost time and money, or get her license suspended by not doing anything about it.

Sure there are much worse things that can happen to someone and I am not really going to bother with such trivial issues anymore. I voiced my concerns and feel better now.

I'd wager 95% of you would write the exact same email. Which I wouldn't blame you for, because you would be right and perfectly within reason.

and yes, I feel that someone who issues a citation for this is incompetent.

CasioTech

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2000
Originally posted by: coldmeat
1/3 broken brake lights isn't braking any laws.

Can you prove this?

316.221 Taillamps.--

(1) Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer, and any other vehicle which is being drawn at the end of a combination of vehicles, shall be equipped with at least two taillamps mounted on the rear

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007

Can you prove this?

316.221 Taillamps.--

(1) Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer, and any other vehicle which is being drawn at the end of a combination of vehicles, shall be equipped with at least two taillamps mounted on the rear

yes, but

On vehicles equipped with more than one taillamp, the lamps shall be mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable.

it seems to me like if the one on the right was out, then the 2 that were working weren't on the same level, depending on where the 3rd on is.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

Can you prove this?

316.221 Taillamps.--

Are you confusing the third brake light as a tail lamp? B/c it's not.

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
You may be in the right, but the letter you wrote is written so juvenile that it will make you seem like you are wrong.

You need to think in terms of the person who will be reading the letter.. unless you like it when your letter is going to get tossed in the trash.

CasioTech

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2000
my 3rd light happens to be slightly higher than the other two when viewed on a plane. Which one may or may not consider level.

either way, I really just plan show the tail light fixed and have it dismissed immediately.

CasioTech

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2000
Originally posted by: brxndxn
You may be in the right, but the letter you wrote is written so juvenile that it will make you seem like you are wrong.

You need to think in terms of the person who will be reading the letter.. unless you like it when your letter is going to get tossed in the trash.

Yes I was completely aware my letter would get tossed away as I was writing it.

I know how the system works, once the ticket is entered, they cannot (or will not) do anything to reverse it. I fully expect that I will have to get it dismissed in court and therefore, wrote a seemingly spiteful letter because of it.

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005
Originally posted by: brxndxn

Yes I was completely aware my letter would get tossed away as I was writing it.

I know how the system works, once the ticket is entered, they cannot (or will not) do anything to reverse it. I fully expect that I will have to get it dismissed in court and therefore, wrote a seemingly spiteful letter because of it.

So essentially you unknowingly wrote a confession the police department (you admitted you had a burned-out taillight). You slander the police department with your juvenile comments when it is now apparent they did their job properly, and yet somehow you expect the judge will simply dismiss the charge now? :confused:

CasioTech

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2000
there is no question that one tail light is out. My "juvenile" comments are subjective and may be true. And we would be happy to pay a citation dismissal if my letter will ACTUALLY get around to the judge!