Broadwell-E Owners Thread

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Which Broadwell-E did you buy?

• Only the best for me, 6950X!

• Eight core goodness, 6900K.

• Six cores with lots of PCI-E lanes, 6850K.

• Six cores and 28 PCI-E lanes on the "cheap," 6800K.

• I own a Haswell-E, am not buying Broadwell-E, but demand to be represented in this poll!

Results are only viewable after voting.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
people saying what a waste of money it would be 8 years of service proved them wrong

yeah considering it launched around $350 if I remember correctly the Q9450 was well worth it for you. The QX9650 might have been a bit hard pill to swallow since it was a $1000 CPU at the time, but even that if it lasted until now would have been a decent value.

asendra

Nov 4, 2012
Incredibly value for you no doubt.
But I think we can all agree that the majority of people that buy these >1000$ cpus are going to be upgrading to the latest and greatest again come Skylake-E or Cannonlake-E, no matter what.

Mar 10, 2006
Incredibly value for you no doubt.
But I think we can all agree that the majority of people that buy these >1000$ cpus are going to be upgrading to the latest and greatest again come Skylake-E or Cannonlake-E, no matter what.

Resale value is pretty good on these chips though.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Heh... my question for the 6950X owners would be "How on Earth did you get so much disposable income to burn, and how can I get some of it?" :)

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Resale value is pretty good on these chips though.

That's true, and the savvy enthusiast takes advantage of that for cheaper upgrades. It's something I've considered getting into over the years but my 2600K has performed so well (as did the Core 2 before it) that I've chosen to stick with it over the years rather than upgrade. It is a double-edged sword for me - I truly miss the days when you pretty much HAD to upgrade to play the latest games but on the other hand, I am saving a ton of money to pour into my other hobbies - I'm obsessed with home automation right now and am planning to build a 100 TB SAN to alleviate the disk I/O issues on my huge server. :D

Heh... my question for the 6950X owners would be "How on Earth did you get so much disposable income to burn, and how can I get some of it?" :)

Many of these guys upgrade frequently enough that they can resell their old stuff at pretty good prices, which greatly reduces their upgrade costs. One interesting thing I've found about myself is that as I've gotten older, I've spent less on computer gear even as my income skyrocketed. I remember spending $1000 on a Pentium 120 when I was in grad school and living on an RA salary. Spending $1000 on a CPU now, even though I wouldn't even notice the expense, is something I just can't force myself to do unless I can see performance numbers which justify the expense. That isn't the case right now, though as time goes on, the platform updates have to be considered as well and I'm nearing the point where a platform update may be as important as the CPU upgrade. The platform piece is also why I'm having a hard time justifying Broadwell-E - X99 is 2 years old at this stage and I'd be 2 years behind the curve if I bought today.

Last edited:

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Have you given 12Gb SAS-DAS enclosures a thought?

Nothing is off the table at this point. I haven't started really designing the solution yet, but my disk I/O is suffering to the point where I'll have to do something soon. I had intended on adding a "fast" array eventually for my database servers, and that time is very soon.

Aug 11, 2008

Well, it is a terrible value, and I would not consider it even if I had the money, just as a matter in principle. That said, hate to sound too first world, but people spend much more that that on vacations, luxury cars, expensive houses, and so on. So there are plenty of people with the disposable income to purchase it, let alone some perhaps who will use it for work purposes.

I am definitely not trying to justify the price however, because I think it is outrageous, and I think even for people that can afford it, intel will face a lot of resistance simply because people do not like to be taken advantage of. If they had managed to make a big IPC or overclocking improvement on top of the additional cores, the price would be less outrageous, but outside of more cores, the release is probably the worst in HEDT history as far as improvement in performance is concerned.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Well, it is a terrible value, and I would not consider it even if I had the money, just as a matter in principle. That said, hate to sound too first world, but people spend much more that that on vacations, luxury cars, expensive houses, and so on. So there are plenty of people with the disposable income to purchase it, let alone some perhaps who will use it for work purposes.

I am definitely not trying to justify the price however, because I think it is outrageous, and I think even for people that can afford it, intel will face a lot of resistance simply because people do not like to be taken advantage of. If they had managed to make a big IPC or overclocking improvement on top of the additional cores, the price would be less outrageous, but outside of more cores, the release is probably the worst in HEDT history as far as improvement in performance is concerned.

Personally, I agree with you. I can afford the 6950, but the value proposition just isn't there especially when a 6700K will beat it in most of the stuff I run. You will hear some justify the expense as "but games will use more cores in a few years!" Well, most of the guys who buy the 6950 upgrade so often that they'll never get to the point where their 6950 would be useful for gaming before they move on.

However, I really don't blame people who want it and buy it. I have hobbies too and spend a lot of money on things people would find dumb and of questionable value.

rpmtl

May 31, 2016
Well, it is a terrible value

Unfortunately with the decline in popularity of the desktop computer I fear future prices of high-end desktop CPU's will go even higher as fewer people will be buying them. The same thing is happening with high-end dSLR cameras as most of that market has moved to using mobile phones.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
Intel could come up with a refresh chipset on a newer process, but it didn't. Kaby lake is getting one, for example and so did Broadwell DT. Just lazy, imo.

Vote with your wallet, I say. Still might get one, though :p

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Where's the poll option for "Potato - I'm poor, and only buy Celerons"? J/K.

Anyways, at $449, for a six-core BDW-E... hmm, tempting. Not that I need a six-core for anything in particular, but it would certainly help my DC scores.

I've got two AMD 1045T 2.8/3.2Ghz (early Turbo implementation, can turbo 3 out of 6 cores at a time). One of them, I had OCed to 3.5Ghz.

About how much faster is a 6800K than a 1045T? Just for curiosity sake.

Brent

Oct 9, 1999
The platform piece is also why I'm having a hard time justifying Broadwell-E - X99 is 2 years old at this stage and I'd be 2 years behind the curve if I bought today.
If you bought a "refreshed" X99 board today that has similar features to the Z170 boards you can buy now, how are you being negatively impacted? I ask because what you've said actually mirrors what I've been thinking about on the topic, as well.

I'm debating between the 6800K and the 6700K now, myself, as I consider whether to upgrade off my trusty i5-2500k. I haven't pushed the 2500k to its limits, admittedly, but I'm considering the expense anyway to bring my personal PC up to more modern standards. The 2500k only offers PCI-E 2.0, not 3.0. Since I intend to invest in either the GTX 1070 or 1080 somewhat soon, I'd like to move to a CPU that provides the full PCI-E 3.0 bandwidth to the card. (And yes, I have considered picking up an i7-3770k but at over $250 on eBay, on average, I just can't justify investing my money into a platform that is starting to feel old, finally.)

Last edited:

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
About how much faster is a 6800K than a 1045T? Just for curiosity sake.

Well if we look at Cinebench R11.5 scores a 6 core thuban at about 4Ghz will get you ~8 points. A 5820k at stock is ~11.3, and can hit 14.5-15.5 depending on the OC.

So a 6800k I would expect to hit ~11.5-12 at stock and 15-16 when OC'd. So a good doubling in performance compared to that 6 core thuban.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
If you bought a "refreshed" X99 board today that has similar features to the Z170 boards you can buy now, how are you being negatively impacted? I ask because what you've said actually mirrors what I've been thinking about on the topic, as well.

Forgive my long post, but let me shed some light on my (somewhat rambling) thought process. I don't know about you, but I enjoy when people post these kinds of posts because it helps me see other points of view I haven't considered.

Anyway, your question is a good question and in all honestly, probably not much that I'd really use. I had heard that many of the X99 boards had (IIRC) USB issues, but when I asked here, people didn't seem to experience those issues. I thought the Z170 had some native support for a few things that the X99 required an add-on chip, but I could be wrong there and need to review again. The one major thing X99 does have over Z170 is a better upgrade path IMO - if you go with a 6800 now you can always upgrade to a 6950 down the road when prices drop and the cores are more utilized. With the Z170, you're likely only going to be able to move to another quad core in the future (KabyLake).

I'm debating between the 6800K and the 6700K now, myself, as I consider whether to upgrade off my trusty i5-2500k. I haven't pushed the 2500k to its limits, admittedly, but I'm considering the expense anyway to bring my personal PC up to more modern standards. The 2500k only offers PCI-E 2.0, not 3.0. Since I intend to invest in either the GTX 1070 or 1080 somewhat soon, I'd like to move to a CPU that provides the full PCI-E 3.0 bandwidth to the card. (And yes, I have considered picking up an i7-3770k but at over $250 on eBay, on average, I just can't justify investing my money into a platform that is starting to feel old, finally.)

I hear you. The only things which stopped me from going with a 6700K last fall were:

1. Lack of availability and therefore, price gouging was occurring.
2. The lackluster performance gain over Haswell.

On average, the 6700K is around 30% faster than my 2600K at the same clock. Sure, there are tasks where it is 50% faster, but that seems to be the exception, not the rule. I also nearly bit on the holiday sales on the 5820K and 5930K; the thing that held me back was that at the time, I don't think any of the current X99 boards promised to support BW-E with firmware updates. So I went ahead and passed again.

I then convinced myself that I would look at BW-E and once some of the leaks happened, planned on building a new rig around it. I seriously considered going with the 6950 when people told me it was going to be $1000 (I didn't believe them, but I had my fingers crossed. :D) In fact, I have already bought some components for the new rig - a nice EVGA 1000W Platinum power supply I got for a ridiculous price and a 980Ti which I'm using in my current rig.

So where am I now? That's a good question and I'm still on the fence. My rig performs well but has odd USB issues that frustrate me sometimes. It is 5 years old and has been overclocked between 4.3 and 4.5 Ghz the entire time. KabyLake looks to have Optane support, but I'm not sure how crucial that will be for me and if it is worth waiting for. At any rate, I think what I'm going to do is hold tight until the fall to see what Zen brings to the table and also learn more about Optane. I figure if Zen can approach Ivy or Haswell IPC but give us 8+ cores for $600, that is a win no matter how you look at it - I could go that route OR Intel will drop their prices and I can stay with Intel.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Does it really matter if functions are build into the chipset or via an added controller, if just the controller added is a good one? No matter what you choose then the X99 will offer more PCIe lanes than the Z170.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Does it really matter if functions are build into the chipset or via an added controller, if just the controller added is a good one? No matter what you choose then the X99 will offer more PCIe lanes than the Z170.

It doesn't matter so much if the functions are built into the chipset or added via an additional controller - the controller itself is what actually matters. I prefer to avoid third-party controllers if possible, but that might be old school thinking on my part and they may be fine. I haven't looked, but are there X99 boards with Alpine Ridge?

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
it doesn't matter so much if the functions are built into the chipset or added via an additional controller - the controller itself is what actually matters. I prefer to avoid third-party controllers if possible, but that might be old school thinking on my part and they may be fine. I haven't looked, but are there x99 boards with alpine ridge?

gigabyte x99p-sli

Brent

Oct 9, 1999
I haven't looked, but are there X99 boards with Alpine Ridge?
First: Thank you for your lengthy and well-thought-out response to my questions. There is no "one configuration works for everyone" here - that's the beauty of being a hardware enthusiast.. even if you're more of an armchair enthusiast like myself. ;)

Second, to answer your question, there are X99-based motherboards with Alpine Ridge the Gigabyte X99P-SLI is supposed to have it. I also see the ASUS' "refresh" motherboards are supporting an Alpine Ridge-based add-on card per http://www.fudzilla.com/news/40663-asus-announces-new-rog-strix-x99-gaming-motherboard

For myself: I'm leaning more towards the 6800 on the X99 platform. All of these motherboard chipsets are "doomed" to eventually fade into obsolescence over the years. We just have to buy and hope that our choices will last long enough to reduce the TCO for us while providing maximum bang-for-the-buck at the time we buy.

The 6700K vs 6800K question is almost a joke since the differences aren't too extreme. Socket 1151 has at least 1 more processor upgrade for it but do we want to buy today based on what might come later (and is already known to have a new motherboard chipset - the Z270, if I am not mistaken).. or do we go with the established-and-venerable Socket 2011-v3 and either the Haswell-E or Broadwell-E CPUs, knowing that BDW-E is the last CPU for the socket?

It's not an easy question but I am finding myself leaning more-and-more towards the 6800K just to have the extra cores..even if I never need them. :)

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
I am also looking to buy and am being torn between 6700k and 6800k. I dont think I care about the extra core as am I more interested in which clock per clock core for core is better.

Brent

Oct 9, 1999
I am also looking to buy and am being torn between 6700k and 6800k. I dont think I care about the extra core as am I more interested in which clock per clock core for core is better.
My opinion would be that, for you, the decision lies most strongly with the i7-6700K. With that said, everything is subject to what I've commonly seen referred to as being the "silicon lottery". :)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Are there X99 ATX mobos with four evenly-spaced PCI-E x16 slots? (Even if they are electrically x8?)

I own what I consider to be a magnificent (Edit: AMD 6-core, Thuban) workstation board of the time, an MSI 790X-something, that has four evenly-spaced PCI-E x16 slots, that can run in x16/x16 or x8/x8/x8/x8. I have used it for distributed-computing, with three or four video cards (single-slot, in my case), power-supply permitting.

I would like to do something like that again, build a nice "crunch rig", maybe with 4x Polaris 10 / RX 480 cards, if they are really $200. (Like the list price of my single-slot HD4850 cards before them.)

Would such a mobo, if it exists, work in x8/x8/x8/x8 mode, with a 6800K CPU? Or would you need a 6850K or whatever the one with more PCI-E lanes? I'm pretty budget-conscious, so if this isn't going to work with the cheaper chips, I probably won't do it.

Edit: This one looks pretty nice:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128885

Last edited:

Brent

Oct 9, 1999
Are there X99 ATX mobos with four evenly-spaced PCI-E x16 slots? (Even if they are electrically x8?)

I own what I consider to be a magnificent (Edit: AMD 6-core, Thuban) workstation board of the time, an MSI 790X-something, that has four evenly-spaced PCI-E x16 slots, that can run in x16/x16 or x8/x8/x8/x8. I have used it for distributed-computing, with three or four video cards (single-slot, in my case), power-supply permitting.

I would like to do something like that again, build a nice "crunch rig", maybe with 4x Polaris 10 / RX 480 cards, if they are really $200. (Like the list price of my single-slot HD4850 cards before them.)

Would such a mobo, if it exists, work in x8/x8/x8/x8 mode, with a 6800K CPU? Or would you need a 6850K or whatever the one with more PCI-E lanes? I'm pretty budget-conscious, so if this isn't going to work with the cheaper chips, I probably won't do it.

The motherboard and CPU do exist to support this configuration but it's definitely not a budget-friendly configuration:

The ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 ($600) does have 4 evenly-spaced PCI-E x16 slots:

Here's a link to the NewEgg product info, if that helps?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132838

From the link:

4 x PCIe 3.0 x16 slots (supports x16, x16/x16, x16/x8/x8, x16/x8/x8/x8 or x8/x8/x8/x8 mode with 40-LANE CPU; x16, x16/x8 or x8/x8/x8 mode with 28-LANE CPU)* [CPU]
To get the 8x/8x/8x/8x configuration, you would need a 6850K or greater so that you have 40 PCI-E lanes to give the slots the bandwidth that they need to support your intended configuration on whatever motherboard you choose. The 6850K is $650 at NewEgg (but sold out, currently).

Last edited:

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013

Edit: This one looks pretty nice:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128885

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128772