Broadwell-E Owners Thread

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Which Broadwell-E did you buy?

• Only the best for me, 6950X!

• Eight core goodness, 6900K.

• Six cores with lots of PCI-E lanes, 6850K.

• Six cores and 28 PCI-E lanes on the "cheap," 6800K.

• I own a Haswell-E, am not buying Broadwell-E, but demand to be represented in this poll!

Results are only viewable after voting.

nathanddrews

Graphics Cards, CPU Moderator
Aug 9, 2016
www.youtube.com
Anyone in this thread upgraded from Haswell-E to Broadwell-E? I've got an X99 motherboard collecting dust and trying to decide between the two lineups. I really would like to go 8-core, but due to cost may have to stay at 6-core.

I'm mostly looking at running several VMs in place of my physical servers (a couple i3 machines and an i5 machine). Good idea? Bad idea? Worth it?

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Anyone in this thread upgraded from Haswell-E to Broadwell-E? I've got an X99 motherboard collecting dust and trying to decide between the two lineups. I really would like to go 8-core, but due to cost may have to stay at 6-core.

I'm mostly looking at running several VMs in place of my physical servers (a couple i3 machines and an i5 machine). Good idea? Bad idea? Worth it?

If you're looking to just run some VMs, I'd look at Xeon models to save some money (assuming your board supports them).

The Stilt

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2015
Hey guys. I purchased a Xeon E5-1650 v4 (Xeon equivalent of the i7-6850K - I'm not overclocking and it was $50 cheaper than the i7). I just started to do some preliminary thermal testing with Prime95 and noticed that the clock drops 100MHz below the advertised base the second I launch the stress test. Is this an AVX offset?

Also, I have it running on an Asus X99-M WS, but this is the first Asus board I've had in a while and I'm not familiar with their BIOS. Does enabling XMP via AI Overclock Tuner do anything beyond just enabling the XMP RAM profile? It seems a weird place to have the setting.

There should be an option called "AVX Instruction Core Ratio Negative Offset", under the "Ai Tweaker" -tab in the bios.

I would highly suggest that you don't use the XMP option, since ASUS boards tend to automatically increase the voltages when you do so. Select manual mode and dial in the settings by hand. There is a huge amount of settings, however most of them you can ignore. You can't really break anything, unless you intentionally disable the protections and do something silly.

nathanddrews

Graphics Cards, CPU Moderator
Aug 9, 2016
www.youtube.com
If you're looking to just run some VMs, I'd look at Xeon models to save some money (assuming your board supports them).

The 10-core Xeon E5-2630 v4 is only $699... that's actually tempting. But the low clock speed (2.2, 3.1 boost) seems like it might negatively impact things like transcoding or gaming - if I end up dedicating a VM to gaming. Seems like all of the low-priced Xeons have clock speeds between 1.4GHz and 2.4GHz, nothing really comparable to the i7 SKUs.

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
I am joining the club today guys. I went ahead and pulled the trigger finally. They had a killer deal I couldn't pass up at newegg for the Asrock Taichi x99 motherboard for $219 shipped plus $33.33 off with promo code "EMCFEFT27" incase anyone else wants to snag one up before they are all gone.And on top of the $33.33 off they have a $20 mail in rebate. I also got 16gb 4x4gb of Crucial Ballistix DDR4 2400. Its the Pure white ram and heat sink kit. All thats left now is to hunt down a CPU.
Right now I am using a 8c/16t E5-2670 SR0XK cpu on a X79 motherboard overclocked to 3.6Ghz turbo.So I would be wanting something that can out pace what I am using right now.Any thoughts what would work best as a CPU upgrade for me? Thanks :)

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
I am joining the club today guys. I went ahead and pulled the trigger finally. They had a killer deal I couldn't pass up at newegg for the Asrock Taichi x99 motherboard for $219 shipped plus $33.33 off with promo code "EMCFEFT27" incase anyone else wants to snag one up before they are all gone.And on top of the $33.33 off they have a $20 mail in rebate. I also got 16gb 4x4gb of Crucial Ballistix DDR4 2400. Its the Pure white ram and heat sink kit. All thats left now is to hunt down a CPU.
Right now I am using a 8c/16t E5-2670 SR0XK cpu on a X79 motherboard overclocked to 3.6Ghz turbo.So I would be wanting something that can out pace what I am using right now.Any thoughts what would work best as a CPU upgrade for me? Thanks :)

6800K all the way. If you must have 8c/16t then 6900K or a used 5960X..

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
Thanks for the fast reply. I think I will snag a 6800k as that seems like the sweet spot these days?
How are the 8 and 10 core Xeons running on these x99 motherboards or shouldn't I waist my time? I heard something like the 6 core E5-1650 v4 were pretty good too and are supposed to be unlocked maybe? I'm gonna go do some research and googling on the subject to see what I can come up with.

rchunter

Feb 26, 2015
Thanks for the fast reply. I think I will snag a 6800k as that seems like the sweet spot these days?
How are the 8 and 10 core Xeons running on these x99 motherboards or shouldn't I waist my time? I heard something like the 6 core E5-1650 v4 were pretty good too and are supposed to be unlocked maybe? I'm gonna go do some research and googling on the subject to see what I can come up with.

E5-1650 v4 is definitely locked.. You should buy I7 6800k or 6850k if having an unlocked chip is important to you.

Reactions: PCTC2

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
There are some Xeon models that have traditionally been unlocked, but not the higher core counts.

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
Na the unlocked thing isn't that super important to me but being a cheapskate that I am and getting lots of cores for as little as possible is lol.Oh boy just got my tracking info from Newegg as I was typing this, jeez cant believe it took them 24 hours to package my item for shipping. Usually I order something in the morning and it ships later that night. Ya I know I am being impatient,I am just excited to get a new next gen build going.Although I did just have a i7 6700k for a little over a week and a half and it was pretty sweet but had to part with it cause my kids needed a new pc for school work :( sorry had to vent.. Anyways I am torn between the 2 6800k and 6850k. Is there any real world difference?
I am guessing the 6800k has 28 pci lanes and the 6850k has more? That is one thing that does matters to me. The more lanes the better!!

rchunter

Feb 26, 2015
Na the unlocked thing isn't that super important to me but being a cheapskate that I am and getting lots of cores for as little as possible is lol.Oh boy just got my tracking info from Newegg as I was typing this, jeez cant believe it took them 24 hours to package my item for shipping. Usually I order something in the morning and it ships later that night. Ya I know I am being impatient,I am just excited to get a new next gen build going.Although I did just have a i7 6700k for a little over a week and a half and it was pretty sweet but had to part with it cause my kids needed a new pc for school work :( sorry had to vent.. Anyways I am torn between the 2 6800k and 6850k. Is there any real world difference?
I am guessing the 6800k has 28 pci lanes and the 6850k has more? That is one thing that does matters to me. The more lanes the better!!

Yeah i7 6850k has 40 pci lanes. Congrats on the new build. I'm sure you'll love it.

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
Thank you... So I am thinking then the 6850k is what I am going to want then. You guys know where I could get one the cheapest? I usually buy from newegg but there has got to be some place out there selling it for less then $609.99.. I would like to get to as close to $500 as possible.

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
I dont get it.. why is there a huge $200 difference between the 6800k and the 6850k? Just for those 12 extra pci lanes? $50 bucks I could see but not $200!! I knew there was going to be a catch somewhere but for crying out loud Intel cut the poor people like me a break. :mad:

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
It's called market segmentation, and Intel is good at it. For those poor unfortunate X99 builders (lmao), there is the 6800K. Most don't really need all the lanes, though.

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
Awww screw it I'm getting the 6800k for now and if I want more cores later on I can always upgrade in the future when and if prices come down a bit. I just can't justify $609.99 right this second when I can get a 6800k for $200 less.Another thing that didn't cross my mind till now is my psu. I am using a corsair 650w Bronze PSU is that gonna be enough to power this build or am I gonna need something stronger? Right now I am only using a single GTX 960 4gb GPU but plan to get a pair of RX 490x's at release for some 4k gaming.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
650W is plenty for HEDT plus one midrange card, but for dual GPU you will want to do the math for a bigger PSU.

grifon0991

Dec 5, 2017
Yea, I understand that you are. I just spent weeks looking into it and asked several people with both and was told it was would be fine. Someone provided that picture to me, it wasn't what I was going by, just something extra.

I guess I'll find out the hard way

good afternoon. i iwant to ask you about this post https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/broadwell-e-owners-thread.2475010/page-5
did you install noctua nh-d15 in your CM Storm Scout II? does side panel close easily? if you can, please, sent photo how does it look. thank you very much.

Reactions: 2blzd