Broadwell-E 10 cores?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mondozei

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2013
NV financial statements show 40% of revenue growth for Geforce GPUs - not even just high end. The quarter before that it was 50%. So Shintai is wrong, it's actually growing even more than he thinks.

Russian, what you're showing is the decline for the overall dGPU market outside of gaming, which is something different.

Also, the ASP going into 2016 is lower than it was in 2013, counting for inflation. So while there has been a change from 10 years ago, it has actually declined in recent years.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
My percentage was in relation to Intel, not NVidia. I am well aware of NVidias GTX revenue growth.

But that's the point, revenue shifting towards higher end in a declining volume.

tenks

Apr 26, 2007
I moved to an 8 core HSW-E from a 4930K. The resale value of these HEDT chips is quite good so once you take the initial "hit," it's not too terrible to upgrade at an annual basis. However, I will generally only upgrade if I think I am getting something materially better than what I had before.

Let's suppose I do buy a 10 core BDW-E to replace my 8 core HSW-E...if SKL-E comes in at "only" 10 cores, then do I really want to go through the trouble of ripping and replacing my motherboard/system for +5% perf/clock + AVX-512 + 8 more PCIe lanes? Nope.

But if they offer a 12 core chip, then I know I'm getting all of the improvements above + two more CPU cores. That, at least to me, is worth the hassle of trying to sell my old CPU + mobo a few months ahead of launch and having to basically rebuild my system on top of the additional cash outlay. Fortunately SKL-E won't require new memory like moving to HSW-E did!

tl;dr - if SKL-E is 10 core only, and if I upgrade to a 10 core Broadwell-E, then I wouldn't upgrade; I'd rather put that money towards more GPU horsepower or something. If it's 12 cores, then I'd be much more tempted :)

Make some really great points there. I'm pretty much on the same page as you..It's just I'm buying from "scratch". Don't own an existing HEDT chip to resell. Was going to get a 5820k but decided to wait. Sky-E seems so far away so this 10c is a really nice surprise/relief for my computer plans. The only downside is I'd be investing into an 18 month old x99 platform and get only 1 (the last) generation of chips. SKY-E's I/Os upgrades look really nice..

I'm pretty set on BDW-E if the prices turn out as we all hope.

Aristotelian

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
Make some really great points there. I'm pretty much on the same page as you..It's just I'm buying from "scratch". Don't own an existing HEDT chip to resell. Was going to get a 5820k but decided to wait. Sky-E seems so far away so this 10c is a really nice surprise/relief for my computer plans. The only downside is I'd be investing into an 18 month old x99 platform and get only 1 (the last) generation of chips. SKY-E's I/Os upgrades look really nice..

From a price perspective Europe really does eat it on equipment like this. A 5960x is still 1000 EUR.

I understand the point about using x99 - I think even z170 motherboards are pushing ahead with features. But to get broadwell-e we don't have much choice. I'm hoping that x99 motherboards - or at least some - will be tweaked/improved with the broadwell-e release in mind

Mar 10, 2006

Although the platform is pretty old, the motherboard makers will probably refresh their offerings as they did with IVB-E/x79. Obviously the chipset stays the same, but the motherboard makers will probably add new functionality via third party chips to sweeten the deal a bit.

Aug 11, 2008
Well, again, we are seeing the weakness of x99, right now a 2 generation old chip. I know there is a lot of excitement for a 10 core BW-E, but I still would rather see a mainstream hex core, with 8 and 10 cores for the HEDT platform. 10 core BW will be a *very* niche product, expensive, and possibly not overclocking as well as the lower core count chips. And I still am somewhat skeptical that there will in fact be a 10 core BW-E, until we hear the official announcement from Intel.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
And I still am somewhat skeptical that there will in fact be a 10 core BW-E, until we hear the official announcement from Intel.

We've had at least two leaks from different sources now (Xfastest and Bench-life). Why are you always so skeptical?

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Well, again, we are seeing the weakness of x99, right now a 2 generation old chip. I know there is a lot of excitement for a 10 core BW-E, but I still would rather see a mainstream hex core, with 8 and 10 cores for the HEDT platform. 10 core BW will be a *very* niche product, expensive, and possibly not overclocking as well as the lower core count chips. And I still am somewhat skeptical that there will in fact be a 10 core BW-E, until we hear the official announcement from Intel.

True. I also don't believe the pricing rumors - I believe that if Intel DOES release a 10-core BW-E, it will be a new pricing tier and the 8 core will remain at $999. Or, at most, maybe we'll see Intel eliminate the $999 tier and have the 8 core at $899 and the 10 core at $1099.

Either way, I think I'm still going to wait for BW-E at a minimum to upgrade. True, I'd prefer a newer chipset but I'm just not sure I can wait until Skylake-E to do an upgrade. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and jump on one of the marked down 5820K or 5930K processors - I just can't see any value in the 6700K when you can get a 5820K for around the same price and even less with some of these insane sales we've seen. Heck, the sales on the 5930K put it pretty close to some of the insane 6700K prices we've seen.

ZaphodBbrox

Aug 4, 2015
Note that the current 10c/20t 25MB cache 3.1GHz Haswell Xeon is listed at $2145. I think that the price for the said Broadwell may be close to $1500. I hope not, but that's what I am guessing.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Note that the current 10c/20t 25MB cache 3.1GHz Haswell Xeon is listed at $2145. I think that the price for the said Broadwell may be close to $1500. I hope not, but that's what I am guessing.

The 5960X should have been ~1500$ as well then if you use the previous Xeons as compare.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007

Yeah, I can't see it going for $999. Therefore, if we assume that the remainder of the BW-E line will be priced at around the same levels of current HW-E chips, it might make more sense to jump on the HW-E chips while they're on sale. Not sure a BW-E middle 6 core is worth $150 more than the 5930K, so maybe I should pounce on the 5930K now. With an additional $25 off with VISA checkout plus the reward points I'd get back on my credit card, I'd be looking at around $430 for it.

Last edited:

ZaphodBbrox

Aug 4, 2015
The 5960X should have been ~1500$ as well then if you use the previous Xeons as compare.

I don't have that historical data at hand, just making an educated guess with current prices. A lot may also depend upon the competitive landscape at the time of the BDW-E release.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
I don't have that historical data at hand, just making an educated guess with current prices. A lot may also depend upon the competitive landscape at the time of the BDW-E release.

The data is at ark.intel.com.

The 5960X today is 1059$. So will the 10 core Broadwell. Perhaps 1099$ if we push it due to price corrections.

The only question is what the lower parts will cost. Specially the bottom one.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009

That would be comparing Xeon to Extreme edition though.

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
The data is at ark.intel.com.

The 5960X today is 1059$. So will the 10 core Broadwell. Perhaps 1099$ if we push it due to price corrections.

The only question is what the lower parts will cost. Specially the bottom one.

You have a nasty tendency to speak in absolutes when you don't know things for sure, and you continue to do so even when you don't know for sure, and it's not like you've never been wrong about something before. We don't know, so all we can do is guess, and your guess is as good as mine. I think we'll be looking at $1200 or $1300, with the faster 8-core at $900.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
You have a nasty tendency to speak in absolutes when you don't know things for sure, and you continue to do so even when you don't know for sure, and it's not like you've never been wrong about something before. We don't know, so all we can do is guess, and your guess is as good as mine. I think we'll be looking at $1200 or $1300, with the faster 8-core at $900.
sorry but there is probably zero chance of that. the top cpus still keep staying at about the same price even when they increase core count. no way in hell its going to be 1300 bucks for the 10 core and 900 for the mid range 8 core. I will film myself going to Walmart in my bicycle shorts from 1995 if that happens.

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
sorry but there is probably zero chance of that. the top cpus still keep staying at about the same price even when they increase core count. no way in hell its going to be 1300 bucks for the 10 core and 900 for the mid range 8 core. I will film myself going to Walmart in my bicycle shorts from 1995 if that happens.

Right, but this time they're adding an extra SKU. If they were still aiming for 3 SKUs, I'd agree. However, 4 SKUs means that the price of something has to change. It's just a question of what. Personally, I think the 6-core and slower 8-core stay in the same place as the 5820K and 5930K respectively, while the faster 8-core is $900 and the 10-core is $1200.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Right, but this time they're adding an extra SKU. If they were still aiming for 3 SKUs, I'd agree. However, 4 SKUs means that the price of something has to change. It's just a question of what. Personally, I think the 6-core and slower 8-core stay in the same place as the 5820K and 5930K respectively, while the faster 8-core is $900 and the 10-core is $1200.

Sadly, I have to agree with this logic. Intel doesn't give things away. How long have we been waiting for AVX in Pentiums? "Free" extra cores on HEDT doesn't make a lot of sense.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Sadly, I have to agree with this logic. Intel doesn't give things away. How long have we been waiting for AVX in Pentiums? "Free" extra cores on HEDT doesn't make a lot of sense.
AGAIN look at the history as core count is irrelevant.

Kippa

Dec 12, 2011
Do you think that if they did release a 10 core cpu for mainstream that it could possibly be sub 3ghz?

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Do you think that if they did release a 10 core cpu for mainstream that it could possibly be sub 3ghz?

The 10 core Broadwell is 3Ghz base, 3.5Ghz turbo. Just as the 5960X. Both at 140W.

So if you have to go below 140W, you also have to reduce clocks.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012

Again, history shows you are wrong.

4->6->8-> soon 10 cores.

Always been the same price.

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
Again, history shows you are wrong.

4->6->8-> soon 10 cores.

Always been the same price.

History also shows that there are always 3 SKUs. Thus, one of two things is likely to be happening:

1. There won't be four SKUs
  2. There's going to be some sort of change to pricing in the lineup.

I'd also like to add that history shows that we won't get two consecutive increases in core count, let alone on the same chipset. That's two things going against history, so who's to say that there won't be third? Unless you happen to work for Intel and you know something we don't, you can't really say anything that proves me wrong. All we can do is wait and see. It's possible that the fourth SKU will just slot right in at $800 or so, but that's nothing more than a possibility.

Last edited:

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
AGAIN look at the history as core count is irrelevant.

So, you're saying that there won't be fourth SKU, right? I mean, we are going off of history here, are we not? Based on history, the entry-level SKU should become an 8-core and there should only be 3 SKUs. As a matter of fact, this also means that we should see the mainstream flagship move to 6-cores, correct? And then it should move to 8 cores. Weird.