Brisk walking slows aging

Jul 27, 2020

Brisk walking has previously been linked to an increase in life span of up to 20 years, and this longer life expectancy can result from as little as 10 minutes of walking a day. Now, we also have a causal link between this specific physical activity and telomere length.

The key seems to be pushing the body and not letting it be too comfy.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
This isn't the only thing I've read recently that indicates brisk walking is a very positive activity for the body. Glad I've been doing it for a few years now (and have always been considered a "fast walker"). Guess that could help explain why people tend to think I'm younger than I am.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

The key seems to be pushing the body and not letting it be too comfy.

This feels like one of those "a glass of wine reduces your risk of heart attacks" studies. That is, it's not really a causal link so much as it is a reflection of how overall quality of life affects your longevity.

If you're the sort to walk briskly, you're probably also taking better care of yourself in general — more intense exercise, better diet, fewer vices. You also have more free time and more chances to reduce stress.

That's not to say this study is irreparably flawed, but I'd be more likely to trust it if we knew the only significant differentiating factor was walking speed.

Reactions: purbeast0

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I’ve recently learned walking backwards can reverse joint wear down / problems as well. Check out a book called knee ability zero by this kneesovertoes guy
Does using my bike when I spar count? :p

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
no one debates that walking is good for your health.

I try to walk 5000 - 8000 steps a day. I get my heart rate between 110 and 120.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
no one debates that walking is good for your health.

I try to walk 5000 - 8000 steps a day. I get my heart rate between 110 and 120.
Courtesy of my training, briskly walking uphill with a 17 lb pack doesn't even get me up to 110 some days :confused_old:
So it's nice that the training bears fruit, but also kind of a hassle because I have to work that much harder to get into my target zones now. Climbed my first real mountain a couple weeks ago, though.

• Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski

Hotrod2go

Nov 17, 2021
Brisk walking is excellent & even better in combo with hill climbing. I would also add that doing push ups is excellent for encouraging improvements in peripheral circulation throughout the body, especially to the head. However, like with any lifestyle change, it involves will power & dedication to do it as part of a weekly routine, this is where most fall by the wayside & can't or won't do it.