Brexit Deal Voted down in "Historic Defeat" according to BBC News site (Brexit still happening but PM May is in trouble)

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
In case anybody wondered what the options they said no to were:

business_2019-Mar-27.jpg

doublefacepalm.jpg

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
It’s because you already know the answer and have known the answer for a long time. The answer is not to leave.

There’s no magical combination of conditions that are going to come up which change the fundamental stupidity of this choice so the answer is clear: since the first referendum your country learned a few things and realized it made a mistake. Fix that mistake.

No good telling me! I don't get to decide. I had my one vote already and I was outvoted.

Though, the actual voting results seem more hopeful on second viewing. The options that came closest to passing are the options that are closest to remain. In particular those that involve staying in the customs union. As they will probably be voted on again, there might be a bare majority for one of those next time round, after MPs see where the support lies. Maybe.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Just do a hard Brexit and roll with it. The electricity will still be on, the ports still work, everything will be ok. And they’ll be their own country again.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Just do a hard Brexit and roll with it. The electricity will still be on, the ports still work, everything will be ok. And they’ll be their own country again.
The problems with Ireland will return and trash bins will start exploding again! Classic Britain will be back!

Reactions: DarthKyrie
Nov 25, 2013

Given that degree of ignorance I have to ask, why flaunt it? It's not actually something to be proud of.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
they apparently want to crash and burn out of the EU and to hell with the consequences.

The only way I could translate those voting patterns into a coherent position was "We don't want to choose no-deal, but if it happens through our inaction, we're OK with that".

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
The only way I could translate those voting patterns into a coherent position was "We don't want to choose no-deal, but if it happens through our inaction, we're OK with that".
kind of reminds me of that scene from raiders of the lost ark( or temple of doom, can't remember which) with the large stone sphere rolling towards Indy but in this case it doesn't look like he'll get out of the way in time.

they got the ball rolling but are unable to control it.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I think I would be OK with the kind of soft-Brexit that left us with a good share of the costs/benefits of the EU but minus 'democratic' representation. Because I don't think that representation did us (or me at least) any good anyway.

Firstly the EU's voting system is absurdly baroque and gerrymandered so never felt like it offered much control to ordinary voters, and secondly what representation the UK did send to the EU parliament and commission largely involved UK parties and politicians I personally don't care for (we sent quite a few UKIPpers, and at one point some BNPers). Indeed there are non-UK political forces in the EU I feel more in tune with than many of our own. So how much of a loss would it be to lose the little 'say' we had, that was in any case more-often-than-not used to push policies I didn't want anyway? (And to try and block the bits of EU legilstation I actually agreed with)

Hopefully, whatever happens the Tory party will take a tremendous hit from this.

One thing that cheers me is hearing Brexiter voters spitting blood and vowing they will never vote Tory again after this betryal...and, wonderfully, hearing other former Tories saying the same thing from a pro-remain position. Both parties will alienate supporters but the Tories have more to lose because they are in power during the whole mess.

Veliko

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2011
I think I would be OK with the kind of soft-Brexit that left us with a good share of the costs/benefits of the EU but minus 'democratic' representation. Because I don't think that representation did us (or me at least) any good anyway.

Firstly the EU's voting system is absurdly baroque and gerrymandered so never felt like it offered much control to ordinary voters, and secondly what representation the UK did send to the EU parliament and commission largely involved UK parties and politicians I personally don't care for (we sent quite a few UKIPpers, and at one point some BNPers). Indeed there are non-UK political forces in the EU I feel more in tune with than many of our own. So how much of a loss would it be to lose the little 'say' we had, that was in any case more-often-than-not used to push policies I didn't want anyway? (And to try and block the bits of EU legilstation I actually agreed with)

People underestimate how much influence we have in the EU and overestimate how much influence they have in the UK.

Some of the things that people complain about the most - expansion of EU to include Eastern Europe being a big one - were driven by the UK in the first place.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
People underestimate how much influence we have in the EU and overestimate how much influence they have in the UK.

Some of the things that people complain about the most - expansion of EU to include Eastern Europe being a big one - were driven by the UK in the first place.

That one in particular was - and I wasn't especially keen on that one. In doing that, incidentally, the UK was partly following the wishes of the US, or at least that's how much of the rest of the existing EU saw it.

The massive irony of course is that the A8 is one of the main things the conservative anti-EU side are now really upset about. They are angry at the results of their own policies (pretty standard for conservatives). Though to be fair, I suppose, that reflects the fact that the Tories have always been a kind of coalition. There are different types of conservative.

I have a lot of suspicions about that expansion process. I think there was a lot of cynical dealing about it.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I suspect that you dont quite comprehend what no deal involves.

Hint. We have no trade treaties. We are party to EU treaties, when we leave we have nothing.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
I missed where the occupation forces withdrew after the vote and they were able to reopen parliament. Since they were not their own country before. Have a link to the news coverage of the withdrawal?