Breast-feeding fight yields legal victory

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
For once, the "nanny" state gets it right!

My wife often gets funny looks when she nurses our 19 month old son, and I've been waiting for the day when someone asks her to "take it elsewhere". I'm not sure what the legal provisions of this law are yet, other than probably the right to file a civil lawsuit.

Rebuked for her attempt to nurse her child at a health club, a La Grange woman launches a drive that leads to a new state law

By Colleen Mastony, Tribune staff reporter. Tribune staff reporters Bonnie Miller Rubin and Christi Parsons contributed to this report

August 15, 2004

Kasey Madden was trying to lose a few pounds after having a baby when she headed to her local fitness center last fall. But when the gym's manager rebuked her for nursing her baby in the day-care area, the La Grange mother launched a campaign that likely will strengthen a woman's right to breast-feed in public.

A bill prompted by Madden's experience that is expected to be signed Monday by Gov. Rod Blagojevich will add Illinois to a list of two dozen states that allow women to nurse anywhere. The new law will give women the right to go to court against any business or agency that tries to stop them from nursing.

The bill follows a wave of laws passed across the country in the last 10 years and comes as the rates of breast-feeding have reached the highest levels in 50 years. A study in 2002 found that 70 percent of newborns are breast-fed in the hospital, the highest recorded rate.

But as more women dump formula in favor of breast milk, some people still try to nudge them into the bathroom or another out-of-the-way place.

Madden, 39, is one of many who have turned their personal experience into political action.

"I was so angry," she said, recalling her run-in with the health club manager. "I thought, `My baby needs to eat. It's this tiny little redhead, and she wants her mommy.' It was that simple for me."

Though Illinois had passed laws in the 1990s that prevented nursing women from being arrested for indecency and required employers to provide private space for nursing mothers, no laws gave women the right to nurse in public.

Health club disagreement

Madden stepped into this legislative loophole last fall when she went to Life Time Fitness in Burr Ridge with her husband and two children, a 2-year-old and 5-month-old. Madden dropped both children at the staffed day-care area and headed for the treadmill. She was a few minutes into her workout when she heard her name on the intercom. Her 5-month-old, Sadie, had become fussy and hungry. Madden took the child and sat down on the floor to nurse.

A moment later, she says, a manager asked her to leave the day-care area, noting that some might find breast-feeding offensive. He directed Madden to one of two rooms. One was furnished with a bench. The other didn't allow toddlers, so Madden couldn't bring her 2-year old.

Dumbfounded and furious, Madden exchanged words with the manager. Then she and her husband carried their two children out of the club. Sadie, oblivious to the fight, had fallen asleep.

At home, Madden--who usually spent her days ferrying children and arranging play dates--logged onto the Internet to research the law and launched her campaign. She dashed off letters to the American Civil Liberties Union, Blagojevich, his wife, Patti, and several state legislators.

She found an ally in state Sen. Don Harmon (D-Oak Park), whose wife was pregnant with the couple's third child.

"It struck me as obtuse that a mother couldn't nurse her baby in a child-care area at a health club," Harmon said. "I have not met a nursing mother who is anything but modest. They're not trying to inflame people's attitudes. It's a natural and loving connection between a mom and a baby."

Laws regarding breast-feeding are relatively new. Florida led the nation in 1993 by enacting the first comprehensive legislation that gave women the right to nurse anywhere. Since then, New York has adopted language that defines breast-feeding in public as a civil right, and a 2001 Louisiana law calls any attempt to prohibit a mother from breast-feeding in public a form of discrimination.

Advocates say the laws have been slow to change in part because society can't seem to reconcile the idea that breasts--as objects of fascination and sexual desire--also are baby-feeding mechanisms.

Group champions cause

At La Leche League, a Schaumburg-based group that promotes breast-feeding, workers say they field one call a week from women who have been asked to leave a public area because they were breast-feeding.

"It happens a lot," said Kenneth Friedman, a lawyer who began working on the issue after the death of his wife, Elizabeth Baldwin, a breast-feeding advocate. "I think there are a lot of women out there where someone says something and they just stop breast-feeding. You never hear about it."

Monica Balc ,a South Side artist, was visiting the Field Museum last year when her 8-month-old daughter became hungry. Balc started breast-feeding--until a volunteer told her that she was "being obscene" and asked that she go to a restroom.

"I said: `Do you eat in a restroom?'" Balc said. "To get such a reaction to something so natural was shocking to me."

Indiana State Rep. David Orentlicher sponsored a bill last year to decriminalize breast-feeding after he heard from constituents who were harassed for discreetly nursing in public places.

At the Indianapolis Museum of Art, one mother was asked to leave because workers there said her actions violated the prohibition against bringing food and drink into the galleries.

But changes in laws and attitudes have occurred, sometimes one woman at a time. This month, a group of 100 women and family members staged a `nurse-in' where they breast-fed their babies en masse at a Maryland Starbucks whose employee had asked a nursing mother to leave or go into the restroom.

After letters and calls from Madden, officials at Life Time Fitness changed their policy. Though they say the incident was a misunderstanding, they have since told managers and workers that women should be allowed to nurse anywhere in the club.

"A woman has this happen to her, and she becomes a spark plug," Friedman said. "She writes all these letters and gets people to listen, and a change is made. That spark plug can happen anywhere."

A healthier choice

Studies show that breast-feeding reduces the risk in infants of diarrhea, influenza, constipation, ear infections, meningitis, sudden infant death syndrome, allergies and diabetes. It also has been linked to higher IQs. Nursing mothers return to pre-pregnancy weights faster and have lower risks of ovarian and breast cancer than those who don't nurse.

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that mothers breast-feed exclusively for six months and continue until their child is at least a year old. But most women don't breast-feed as much as doctors recommend.

Only 30 percent of U.S. infants are breast-fed at 6 months, and fewer than 20 percent are still receiving breast milk when they reach their first birthday, according to an annual study by formula-maker Abbott Laboratories, which has tracked breast-feeding trends since 1954.

"Our society has made women who breast-feed feel uncomfortable," said Melissa Vance, a lawyer who works on legislative issues with La Leche League. "A woman feeding her child is made to feel as if she is doing something bad."

Advocates hope that new laws will help raise rates of breast-feeding.

"There are so many benefits to breast-feeding," said Patti Blagojevich, who is breast-feeding her second child. "If we can make people less hesitant to bring their children in public and less worried about being discriminated against, then that's a good thing."

Blagojevich plans to announce the law at the state fair in Springfield, where she will attend a celebratory gathering at a mobile nursery, set up for women to nurse in air-conditioning and quiet.

Kasey Madden will be at home taking care of her three children when the governor signs the bill Monday.

Her younger child has stopped breast-feeding, so Madden won't benefit from the law. But, she says, "at least my daughters will enjoy this legislation some day."

Copyright (c) 2004, Chicago Tribune

DWW

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2003
As long as they do it in the bathroom I'm all for breast-feeding in public buildings.

Or at least put a blanket around yourself and make it hard to see anything unless you stare hard enough.

Todd33

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2003
Feeding a baby is a pretty normal and healthy thing. It's not like the woman is topless and Ashcroft has to run over and throw a drape on her. Let them feed where they want, people are too uptight.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
You shouldn't have made light of this, I'm sure it is just because the Neocon's plate is full and they just haven't gotten around to this yet to ban it.

Well, unlike much of the other crap the Left* wants to put on the agenda, breast-feeding actually IS natural, and should be accepted.

[ * I'm trying to coin a phrase to match your ever-so-witty-and-prevalent use of neocon ;) ]

Klixxer

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2004
Originally posted by: DWW
As long as they do it in the bathroom I'm all for breast-feeding in public buildings.

Or at least put a blanket around yourself and make it hard to see anything unless you stare hard enough.

Yes, showing skin in public is horrible, on with the veil you slutty mother.

DWW

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2003
Originally posted by: Klixxer

Did I say that? Don't put words into my mouth.

I never once said skin is horrible but if non-breastfeeding women can't walk around with tits in the air then why should those breasfeeding? It is discrimination against one party. Make it fair and balanced or none at all.

3chordcharlie

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2004
Originally posted by: cKGunslinger
You shouldn't have made light of this, I'm sure it is just because the Neocon's plate is full and they just haven't gotten around to this yet to ban it.

Well, unlike much of the other crap the Left* wants to put on the agenda, breast-feeding actually IS natural, and should be accepted.

[ * I'm trying to coin a phrase to match your ever-so-witty-and-prevalent use of neocon ;) ]

While I doubt your de-facto claim to be the presiding judge of what is natural, congratulations are in order for not making a fool out of yourself by calling someone a 'neo-liberal'. It looks like someone has been paying attention when others failed to do so!

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000

Do you eat your lunch sitting in a bathroom?

Response to Dave: Most Neocons fully support this type of thing, it's a perfectly natural, family-centric thing.

Klixxer

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2004

I never once said skin is horrible but if non-breastfeeding women can't walk around with tits in the air then why should those breasfeeding? It is discrimination against one party. Make it fair and balanced or none at all.

No, you just asked her to "cover up" which is pretty much what the talibans asked their women to do.

Explain what the big problem with showing the skin of a mothers brest while feeding her baby is.

I have a hard time grasping that anyone, ANYONE would have a problem with a woman brestfeeding in public, such a person must be truly wacked in the head.

DWW

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2003
Originally posted by: alchemize

Do you eat your lunch sitting in a bathroom?

Response to Dave: Most Neocons fully support this type of thing, it's a perfectly natural, family-centric thing.

family-centric heh heh

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

No, you just asked her to "cover up" which is pretty much what the talibans asked their women to do.

Explain what the big problem with showing the skin of a mothers brest while feeding her baby is.

I have a hard time grasping that anyone, ANYONE would have a problem with a woman brestfeeding in public, such a person must be truly wacked in the head.

You heard Alchy, some Neocons are into the "Taliban" thing. Some is some too many.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
Originally posted by: 3chordcharlie

While I doubt your de-facto claim to be the presiding judge of what is natural, congratulations are in order for not making a fool out of yourself by calling someone a 'neo-liberal'. It looks like someone has been paying attention when others failed to do so!
Ah, my apologies, as it seems my winky-smiley-face was pushed to the end of my comment, instead of after my first sentence, as I had intended. The entire post was meant to be tongue-in-cheek, and a shot against my fellow "neocons."

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
Originally posted by: Todd33
Feeding a baby is a pretty normal and healthy thing. It's not like the woman is topless and Ashcroft has to run over and throw a drape on her. Let them feed where they want, people are too uptight.
:thumbsup:

3chordcharlie

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2004

Ah, my apologies, as it seems my winky-smiley-face was pushed to the end of my comment, instead of after my first sentence, as I had intended. The entire post was meant to be tongue-in-cheek, and a shot against my fellow "neocons."

My bad;)

DWW

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2003

Okay, "the talibans" (haha) forced women to cover their whole body. You cannot rationally compare both. If you try to compare both you must be "wacked in the head."

The only problem is that it is wrong to deny women without newborns the same right to hang out their set in public. What if my girlfriend and I would love if we could enjoy a nice breast-fondeling at the local movie house, you know, for a mid-movie snack?

Why should we be denied the right? This is the 21st century and I'm tired of being discriminated against.

Again, I never had a problem with a woman breastfeeding, just that it is a discriminatory system that favours those who have children and not those of us who are "different".

Let me ask you this: is masturbation normal? Yes it is. Well what if you have the unending urge to whip it out and satisfy yourself at a family center. Why shouldn't it be considered okay? Hell you could get your family to help you out even and it can be good, happy fun times & bonding for all. Why is that so different?

Really...sex, masturbation and physical urges are natural even to a further extent than breastfeeding. Why is it so demonized?

Crimson

Banned
Oct 11, 1999
I don't have a huge problem with it, but cover yourself up. I dont however buy the 'its natural' argument.. Urination is natural, yet we don't allow it in public places.. you do it in private with members of the same sex.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000

Okay, "the talibans" (haha) forced women to cover their whole body. You cannot rationally compare both. If you try to compare both you must be "wacked in the head."

The only problem is that it is wrong to deny women without newborns the same right to hang out their set in public. What if my girlfriend and I would love if we could enjoy a nice breast-fondeling at the local movie house, you know, for a mid-movie snack?

Why should we be denied the right? This is the 21st century and I'm tired of being discriminated against.

Again, I never had a problem with a woman breastfeeding, just that it is a discriminatory system that favours those who have children and not those of us who are "different".

Let me ask you this: is masturbation normal? Yes it is. Well what if you have the unending urge to whip it out and satisfy yourself at a family center. Why shouldn't it be considered okay? Hell you could get your family to help you out even and it can be good, happy fun times & bonding for all. Why is that so different?

Really...sex, masturbation and physical urges are natural even to a further extent than breastfeeding. Why is it so demonized?

Actually, you are a perfect example of why there is so much misunderstanding surround this. You've sexualized the breast with your comparisons. Breast != sex. Perhaps if you wish to use a valid analogy you should discuss topless female laws like New York has.

3chordcharlie

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2004
Um.. because the baby is hungry and for the vast majority of women, breastfeeding is the healthiest way to feed the baby?

Failure to masturbate causes what? Wet dreams if you put it off a month or two?

DWW

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2003

Actually, you are a perfect example of why there is so much misunderstanding surround this. You've sexualized the breast with your comparisons. Breast != sex. Perhaps if you wish to use a valid analogy you should discuss topless female laws like New York has.

WHERE DID I SEXUALIZE IT? WHERE?

I said mid-movie snack, meaning I'd like to wet my tongue with some milk. Did I ever say it was for sexual reasons? NO.

Though I discussed sex later it was in COMPARISON TO NATURAL HUMAN PHENOMENON.

Why are people constantly putting spin on what I say in this thread?

Klixxer

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2004

You only want to cover up "some" parts so i guess you are not really as bad (ie, you are just semi-taliban, but hang in there, some day you might grow up to be a full fledged taliban), but the rest of your post is just so stupid that i have a hard time coming up with a response that i wouldn't get banned for.

I understand that you haven't seen a pair of breasts before and therefore feel very offended when you do, no, actually, i still don't get it.

You truly are wacked or a sick SOB to compare sexual actions to breastfeeding.

You need help, you really do.

Klixxer

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2004

WHERE DID I SEXUALIZE IT? WHERE?

I said mid-movie snack, meaning I'd like to wet my tongue with some milk. Did I ever say it was for sexual reasons? NO.

Though I discussed sex later it was in COMPARISON TO NATURAL HUMAN PHENOMENON.

Why are people constantly putting spin on what I say in this thread?

Are you completely dense, you used sex and masturbation as examples, if that isn't to sexualize it then WHAT is.

She is FEEDING her baby, there is a difference between FEEDING HER BABY and you fondeling her breasts.

I understand i am talking to someone who will never get it though.

DWW

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2003
You only want to cover up "some" parts so i guess you are not really as bad (ie, you are just semi-taliban, but hang in there, some day you might grow up to be a full fledged taliban), but the rest of your post is just so stupid that i have a hard time coming up with a response that i wouldn't get banned for.

I understand that you haven't seen a pair of breasts before and therefore feel very offended when you do, no, actually, i still don't get it.

Again, personal attacks and word-spin by The Other Side. Is that all they are capable of?

Thanks Klixxer.

Klixxer

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2004

Again, personal attacks and word-spin by The Other Side. Is that all they are capable of?

Thanks Klixxer.

I don't know what "the other side" is but i am sure there is a meaning hidden in there somewhere.

(just waiting for this punk to call alchie a liberal)

Darkhawk28

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2000

If you told my wife to go to the bathroom to breastfeed, I'd probably take you and stick your head in the toilet. :|