Breaking Up California Into Three States?

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
It looks like someone is trying to break up California into three states again:

http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article168118272.html

This breakup map doesn't make any sense to me. Who's crazy idea was it to lump the ultra liberal Silicon Valley and San Francisco areas with the "Jefferson" conservative stronghold in northern California? It would be like trying to ask New Hampshire and Massachusetts to merge... not gonna happen, dawg.

Nov 25, 2013
It looks like someone is trying to break up California into three states again:

http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article168118272.html

This breakup map doesn't make any sense to me. Who's crazy idea was it to lump the ultra liberal Silicon Valley and San Francisco areas with the "Jefferson" conservative stronghold in northern California? It would be like trying to ask New Hampshire and Massachusetts to merge... not gonna happen, dawg.

He used to want it in 6 pieces

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...t-california-into-six-new-states-9145453.html

I wonder if he has any ties to Russia

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/04/...termind-prefers-russia-really-explains-a-lot/

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...hind-a-secession-effort-in-california/517890/

Reactions: Thebobo

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I actually like the six region version a bit better. It separates the Silicon Valley and San Francisco into a small and wealthy Liberal powerhouse state like Connecticut, and takes the Conservative Northern California areas makes them separate states. These regions could finally manage themselves properly, instead of letting Sacramento continue to pass "Once size, fits nobody" legislation.

Reactions: sao123

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
I only support splitting California into three parts if we're not able to get rid of it all at once. See if China wants to buy the entire thing and if they're not interested then we part it out.

Reactions: pcgeek11

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
It would make more sense to break Arizona into three States than California. We could have Hispania, White Mountain and, the largest gated community in the planet, Phoenicia.

Reactions: soundforbjt

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
If memory serves, wouldn't they also need the permission from Congress as well?

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Hey, let's have the Republicans split California up like they do with their gerrymandering. The revised map should look pretty interesting.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
So basically a way to gerrymander the state to benefit republicans. Northern California would be slightly liberal and probably competitive, California would be hugely liberal, and socal would be bedrock conservative.

Not really shocking. Divide and conquer with their failed policies.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
But far NorCal (AKA The State of Jefferson) is pretty conservative...

As a former (transplanted) Californian, I don't blame folks for wanting to break the state into smaller pieces. As it currently exists, the big cities control the legislature which passes laws that just don't fit the rest of the people in the state. (as was said earlier, "one size fits none")
Californians are painted as a bunch of liberal hippies, but in reality, the state is pretty well mixed when you look at distribution by area and not population.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I only support splitting California into three parts if we're not able to get rid of it all at once. See if China wants to buy the entire thing and if they're not interested then we part it out.
Unfortunately California is too important to the US economy. A huge supply of the agriculture comes from CA as do most of the imported goods. That's leaving out the technology part as well.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
But far NorCal (AKA The State of Jefferson) is pretty conservative...

As a former (transplanted) Californian, I don't blame folks for wanting to break the state into smaller pieces. As it currently exists, the big cities control the legislature which passes laws that just don't fit the rest of the people in the state. (as was said earlier, "one size fits none")
Californians are painted as a bunch of liberal hippies, but in reality, the state is pretty well mixed when you look at distribution by area and not population.

So the state is pretty well mixed so long as you don’t look at the people? That’s true about every state, and the US as a whole. The reason why the big cities control the legislature is because that’s where all the citizens live. It’s a feature, not a bug.

I would say the real problem in America is that the big cities don’t control enough, relative to their population. We tend to prize cows over people when it comes to representation.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Californians are massively underrepresented nationally. State of 40 million gets the same number of senators as Wyoming, with half a million. Really it should be divided into 80 states just to balance things out.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Californians are massively underrepresented nationally. State of 40 million gets the same number of senators as Wyoming, with half a million. Really it should be divided into 80 states just to balance things out.

The Senate is, by design, a less democratic body. Argue for more House seats instead.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Yeah get rid of 1/7th of our GDP. Brilliant.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
People tend to forget that large parts of California would probably turn into a desert if it wasn't supplied by the Colorado river. Something tells me that would be a problem for them if they ever actually did secede. As it is, a lot of that water gets diverted for agriculture before it gets there.

Jul 9, 2009
The way they have it divided would make 2 blue states and a red state. If it was split at the coastal counties you'd get a red state and a blue state. Or coastal counties and a north/ south split would be 2 red states and a blue state.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
The way they have it divided would make 2 blue states and a red state. If it was split at the coastal counties you'd get a red state and a blue state. Or coastal counties and a north/ south split would be 2 red states and a blue state.
^^ And this is why it will never happen. Party folks do the math and will never agree to give the other party two more (or four more or ten more) senators.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
That's a dumb design.
Not at all and was necessary to form the US. Otherwise states with smaller populations wouldn't have joined.

If the Senate was based on population it would be just like the House of Reps and therefore be redundant and unnecessary.

There's a reason we don't have pure democracy: Mob Rule.

Fern