Breaking the news to the parents

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
with the semester coming to a close, and a jam packed one at that, i'm about to recieve the lowest grade i've ever imagined i could get in my calculus class...a 56 :(.

I've tried this entire semester to keep it up, receiving a 70 last quarter, but don't take me as another screw-off kid. With marching band this semester, and working nonstop, i've done all that i could to keep my grades up. all of them stayed 80-90 except cal.

How can i explain to my parents about my grade without a complete freakout? i dont want to disappoint them, but i know this will, and i just dont know what to do. i've never made a grade this low :(.

Cliffs:
Average student, band/work
Cal grade 56
how can i break it to my parents.

real advice please :(

Rock Hydra

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
Originally posted by: FoBoT

is that 56 a fail or a pass? do you have to take the course again?

Eeeh...I don't know of a anywhere that will pass you with a 56.

txrandom

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2004
I'll tutor you for monies! You go to A&M I'm guessing?

Also, whats your major and why are you taking Calc right now?

SmoochyTX

Lifer
Apr 19, 2003
Just tell them you don't want to participate in any more extracurricular activities because you want to work on your grades. ;)

If you keep up with those kinds of grades you'll be telling the truth eventually anyway. LOL

Dec 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Rock Hydra

If you were taking the NYS regents, you can get a 54 on some tests and still be considered "passing."

CrazyHelloDeli

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2001
Well, if your parents are the type to freak out over that score (which I assume they are, seeing as you posted the question) chances are there isn't anything you can do to not make them freak. Maybe its time to realize you are at critical mass when it comes to work/school and you might need to cut something back.

Rock Hydra

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
Originally posted by: Brainonska511

If you were taking the NYS regents, you can get a 54 on some tests and still be considered "passing."

What regents is that one? I wish that would have been the case for my physics regents. :(

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
i'm in high school still. i dont know, i just really dont want them to freak, since now i've gotten my hours at work cut a bit, and nothing extracurricular at the time. Even with the 56, my overall average ( all classes combined ) is 90+.

chusteczka

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2006
Is this high school? Maybe you need to drop marching band and work so you can concentrate on your classes. Calculus is an important class for anyone no matter what their major. You will now have to take this class again but that is acceptable because you were the opening tuba player for the jocks and their games.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
you can tell your parents to look on the bright side, you haven't failed it three times , yet

(i technically only failed calculus in college once, the first two times i took a "W" to avoid the "F" , i quit trying and switched to human resources management :eek: )

Dec 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Brainonska511

What regents is that one? I wish that would have been the case for my physics regents. :(

Physics was a joke (I think I got a 95, but that doesn't matter anyway), as well as all the others. I think that is more for those Math A/B regents.

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Originally posted by: chusteczka
Is this high school? Maybe you need to drop marching band and work so you can concentrate on your classes. Calculus is an important class for anyone no matter what their major. You will now have to take this class again but that is acceptable because you were the opening tuba player for the jocks and their games.

how'd you know i play tuba?

Originally posted by: tweakmm
Are they asian?

no

i can still pass if i pass the next semester still.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Get your priorities in order. What's more important to you and your future? Marching band? or Good calculus grades? Planning on being a music major? Then if the rest of your grades are good enough to get into the school you want, don't sweat it...if the band is just something fun to do, and you're not planning on taking it in college, or pursuing it as a career, then drop the band, and bust your ass on your school work...
Gotta set your priorities, and stick with them...

chusteczka

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2006
Originally posted by: JM Aggie08
Originally posted by: chusteczka

how'd you know i play tuba?

I am joking. For some reason, it popped into my head.
Any similarity to real people or actual events is merely a coincidence. :p

EDIT:
So who gets the cheerleaders, You with your tuba or those numbskulls butting heads?
In another ten years, those cheerleaders will be looking for the guys who aced their calculus classes.
Used cheerleaders FTW! :p

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Originally posted by: BoomerD
Get your priorities in order. What's more important to you and your future? Marching band? or Good calculus grades? Planning on being a music major? Then if the rest of your grades are good enough to get into the school you want, don't sweat it...if the band is just something fun to do, and you're not planning on taking it in college, or pursuing it as a career, then drop the band, and bust your ass on your school work...

this is where i am torn as well, since i do not know if i want to pursue music in the log run, or just be an average joe. they make high school much more stressful than it needs to be.

tweakmm

Lifer
May 28, 2001

this is where i am torn as well, since i do not know if i want to pursue music in the log run, or just be an average joe. they make high school much more stressful than it needs to be.
Dude, highschool is not stressfull.

Get a good time management system that you can stick to and trust. I'm personally adapting a GTD(getting things done) system to my life to good results. David Allen is the man.

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006

Get a good time management system that you can stick to and trust. I'm personally adapting a GTD(getting things done) system to my life to good results. David Allen is the man.

any books i should get. if i dont get my sh!t together now college with be much worse.

tweakmm

Lifer
May 28, 2001

any books i should get. if i dont get my sh!t together now college with be much worse.
Yes, Getting Things Done by David Allen
Do a search in google for GTD, there is almost a cult like following around it.
I've also found that daily motivation really helps to keep the spirits up.
http://www.43folders.com/
http://www.stevepavlina.com/

No joke, if you have a problem with procrastination every day wake up and yell, "DO IT NOW!" Periodically yell it outloud durring the day(obviously in private).
Mental suggestion can be pretty powerful stuff.