Breaking News: US seizing mosques that bankroll Iran's regime of evil

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
but but but, the supreme court says money is free speech, and free speech is a corner stone of our country. We are for free speech aren't we?

And it sounds more like a property grab gone a muck to me, hopefully the courts will step in and assert due process of law before we all lose our rights also.

Sad that your place of worship might end up a KFC parking lot?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Good thing for you that Americans aren't too fond of eating Ostrich.

See, this is the problem with the world. People have differing Ideologies/Agendas, that will never change. You either Accept reality and one day live in Peace with each other or you make people with opposing Ideas your Enemy and War with each other.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Another war is exactly what the US needs. The current two are going pretty badly so I think third time is a charm, and as everyone knows wars are awesome economic boosts. I just don't see a drawback to it.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Another war is exactly what the US needs. The current two are going pretty badly so I think third time is a charm, and as everyone knows wars are awesome economic boosts. I just don't see a drawback to it.

Actually, I think we need our confidence back. Instead of Iran, we should attack Iceland or Tuvalu.

Edit: For the record, Iceland and Tuvalu are both evil. Therefore either one is OK to invade.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Actually, I think we need our confidence back. Instead of Iran, we should attack Iceland or Tuvalu.

Edit: For the record, Iceland and Tuvalu are both evil. Therefore either one is OK to invade.

LOL I would vote Iceland since I have literally no idea where and what Tuvalu is, except Iran has much hotter women than does Iceland. Plus we're right next door and we've pretty much worn out our welcome in Iraq, so . . .

sandorski, real life is not a video game server; both sides don't have to agree to go to war. Remember 9/11?

Last edited:

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
LOL I would vote Iceland since I have literally no idea where and what Tuvalu is, except Iran has much hotter women than does Iceland. Plus we're right next door and we've pretty much worn out our welcome in Iraq, so . . .

sandorski, real life is not a video game server; both sides don't have to agree to go to war. Remember 9/11?

True enough. However, Hate is the first step.

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000
See, this is the problem with the world. People have differing Ideologies/Agendas, that will never change. You either Accept reality and one day live in Peace with each other or you make people with opposing Ideas your Enemy and War with each other.

And that one day was 9/11.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Careful... You're going to break some sarcasm meters with talk like that!

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
The US buys nothing from Iran and vice versa; we have no ties of any kind since the 1979 mass kidnapping. Most of Iran's oil goes to China, France and Germany if memory serves. The bulk of US oil comes from Canada and Mexico, actually; apparently to Democrats oil is evil if pumped by the USA. (The Republicans will happily let you pump it but refuse to make you be responsible for your inevitable mess. You just can't win in Washington.)

Glad to hear that about your mosque though, that's good advice for everyone.

Thanks for the clarification :).

For the record, I have been to plenty of Mosques around Ontario and no place has ever touched on the politics of the world. They have however talked about hardship because of war in Afghanistan, Palestine, Iraq.. and to pray for those people.

But corollary to that I know plenty of people who are Muslim and are very critical about the US's actions, but no more than any white Canadian who is the same way.

I hope this helps shed some insight since I am not an Islamic apologist (I barely post in P&N)

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Thanks for the clarification :).

For the record, I have been to plenty of Mosques around Ontario and no place has ever touched on the politics of the world. They have however talked about hardship because of war in Afghanistan, Palestine, Iraq.. and to pray for those people.

But corollary to that I know plenty of people who are Muslim and are very critical about the US's actions, but no more than any white Canadian who is the same way.

I hope this helps shed some insight since I am not an Islamic apologist (I barely post in P&N)

I would imagine the great majority of mosques are not radical. Certainly those people have it rough and need prayers, and aid if it can be kept from the terrorists. War is hell on civilians, sometimes worse than on soldiers (who tend to have fairly dependable supply systems.) For that matter there's nothing wrong with criticizing the USA if you think we did a bone-headed thing (or things.) It's only people that criticize the USA just because we are fighting Muslims - that support Muslims no matter what they do, maybe they killed 3,000 Americans but that doesn't matter because we're brothers in Allah - that are a problem to me.

And I never suspected you were an Islamic apologist.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The people are supporting the government. You dont have to kill all the people. Just take out the nuclear facilities and blow up their refinery and let them kill each other. Many people in Iran are not aligned with their government. We could do to Iran what Iran does to other countries. Give arms and money to the factions that would destroy it like the Kurds and the college students. Iran is like a powder keg.

Keep in mind that when you help your enemy's enemy, that the new faction could be worse than the one in power. The USA has learned the hard way many times. One side can be worse than the other.

It is obvious that Iran is shipping arms and ammunitions to other groups like the Palestinians. Se we should start by blockading Iran as much as possible.

Isreal would probably bomb Iran if we let them. If we both attacked at the same time we could probably take out their defenses and their ability to attack Iraq. Of course then the world oil supply would be disrupted and we would pay for it financially. So we just cant win. Only thing left is to try to box them in or keep an eye on them and show the rest of the world their true intent.

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
It's easy to say the people are supporting the Government when the Government is a Theocracy that will kill people who don't.

If it is not clear, I am for taking down the Iranian GOVERNMENT as hard as possible, but the people should be spared as much as possible.

Iraq is a good example of this. As I recall we targeted the Government quarters, found and killed Saddam, etc.

I don't know why Afghanistan is such a tough cookie to crack, but apparently due to its size, and mostly peasant people, it is.

Anyway, I just wanted to say Bomb Away, but not indiscriminately.

SamurAchzar

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2006
I wonder how loud would be the liberal whine fest if Israel begins sponsoring a terrorist organization, lets say Kurdish, with money and weapons. Israel has one of the most advanced weapons industries in the world, they would cause Hizbullah Iranian-provided arsenal to look like fireworks. Yea, I like this idea.

Eye for an eye.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
It's easy to say the people are supporting the Government when the Government is a Theocracy that will kill people who don't.

If it is not clear, I am for taking down the Iranian GOVERNMENT as hard as possible, but the people should be spared as much as possible.

Iraq is a good example of this. As I recall we targeted the Government quarters, found and killed Saddam, etc.

I don't know why Afghanistan is such a tough cookie to crack, but apparently due to its size, and mostly peasant people, it is.

Anyway, I just wanted to say Bomb Away, but not indiscriminately.

Iraq is the exact reason why that's a bad idea.

Iran's regime is nowhere near as corrupt as Iraq's was. Give Iran time and don't keep polarizing the Iranian People and they'll change their own Government.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I wonder how loud would be the liberal whine fest if Israel begins sponsoring a terrorist organization, lets say Kurdish, with money and weapons. Israel has one of the most advanced weapons industries in the world, they would cause Hizbullah Iranian-provided arsenal to look like fireworks. Yea, I like this idea.

Eye for an eye.

Policy of Fail

SamurAchzar

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2006
Policy of Fail

Sorry, I just can't see why Israel should continue being attacked by proxies of a country it doesn't even share a border with. I think Israel should take the war to their territory, the sooner the better.

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
Iraq is the exact reason why that's a bad idea.

Iran's regime is nowhere near as corrupt as Iraq's was. Give Iran time and don't keep polarizing the Iranian People and they'll change their own Government.

I have a lot of faith in the Iranian People, but I have had that faith for going on five years now, and the lack of any change, or if there has been change, it's been for the worse, plus 9/11 etc., makes me think that action is appropriate.

We can't just sit and wait for what the people might do, while the Government is so threatening.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I have a lot of faith in the Iranian People, but I have had that faith for going on five years now, and the lack of any change, or if there has been change, it's been for the worse, plus 9/11 etc., makes me think that action is appropriate.

We can't just sit and wait for what the people might do, while the Government is so threatening.

9/11 has absolutely nothing to do with Iran.