Breaking News: United States attacks AQ in Syria.

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: LunarRay
Gee... Has anyone ever stopped to figure out why folks hate the US and others? We think we know why some hate the Jews but I'm not sure we actually understand that from the other perspectives.

It is our Foreign Policy, I think, driven by the sad notion of "Our National Security"... everything under the sun can meet that criteria. All it takes is a position paper and there it is. We will be in conflicts forever until either we force all the unlike thinking folks to come to our positions or terminate them or.... change our positions to accommodate their belief and living history... They ain't us... they are them.. and would we want others to tell us how to live? Doubt it... And, what makes our thinking right... Divine Communication I guess.. from the true God. I'm not sure I know which one it is... folks seem to know they are right all the time. Must be real hard to accept when folks living in the same country don't agree with the thinking others espouse... Guess they have the wrong God.. or maybe no God... nah... everyone has a god of some sort.

:roll: Right, so we deserve to get attacked. Much like a woman in revealing clothing is asking to get raped.

Islamic radicals hate us because we arm/protect Israel. They know that they will not be able to "push the jews back into the sea" until we stop supplying them with weapons, or come apart ourselves.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
PrinceofWands said:
"There are 3 reasons to be allowed to commit military action in another nation"

Under the UN Charter the issue is quite clear and since by Treaty this is the law of the US we are obliged to follow it..
In part, the treaty indicates one may invade a sovereign nation IF it is to preempt an attack by that nation upon the nation doing the supposed attack. Any nation may invade under these conditions with out UN approval. But, I see no other right to invade a sovereign nation contained in the Law..

The UN? Come on Peanutbutter man, the UN? Puhfugginleeze. They couldn't find their way out of a wet paper bag and you think we can't do anything unless they say we can?

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Gee... Has anyone ever stopped to figure out why folks hate the US and others? We think we know why some hate the Jews but I'm not sure we actually understand that from the other perspectives.

It is our Foreign Policy, I think, driven by the sad notion of "Our National Security"... everything under the sun can meet that criteria. All it takes is a position paper and there it is. We will be in conflicts forever until either we force all the unlike thinking folks to come to our positions or terminate them or.... change our positions to accommodate their belief and living history... They ain't us... they are them.. and would we want others to tell us how to live? Doubt it... And, what makes our thinking right... Divine Communication I guess.. from the true God. I'm not sure I know which one it is... folks seem to know they are right all the time. Must be real hard to accept when folks living in the same country don't agree with the thinking others espouse... Guess they have the wrong God.. or maybe no God... nah... everyone has a god of some sort.

If our foreign policy was to blame, why were we attacked during Bill Clinton's presidency? He did more more for the people of the Middle East than any president in recent memory.

Why, for that matter, did a Palestinian kill Bobby Kennedy?

Blaming the victim is illogical. At some point you have to look at the perpetrator and analyze his reasoning for doing what was done. In the case of Islamic terrorist attacks, they generally come right out and tell us. We just haven't been listening.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
PrinceofWands said:

Under the UN Charter the issue is quite clear and since by Treaty this is the law of the US we are obliged to follow it..
In part, the treaty indicates one may invade a sovereign nation IF it is to preempt an attack by that nation upon the nation doing the supposed attack. Any nation may invade under these conditions with out UN approval. But, I see no other right to invade a sovereign nation contained in the Law..

The UN? Come on Peanutbutter man, the UN? Puhfugginleeze. They couldn't find their way out of a wet paper bag and you think we can't do anything unless they say we can?

I didn't get that from what I read. I thought he said 'just a position paper put forth and the President can take us into any disaster that he wants, which is exactly what the imbecile did. I think what he said was that it was illegal under international law and we signed the treaty binding us to that law. I think the implications are is that our Imbecile in Chief is an international War Criminal, but nothing can be done about it. And that is why it would be much better if fools like you wouldn't vote.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Ocguy31

:roll: Right, so we deserve to get attacked. Much like a woman in revealing clothing is asking to get raped.

Islamic radicals hate us because we arm/protect Israel. They know that they will not be able to "push the jews back into the sea" until we stop supplying them with weapons, or come apart ourselves.

Always nice to hear from somebody who knows the right God.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
PrinceofWands said:

I think what he said was that it was illegal under international law and we signed the treaty binding us to that law. I think the implications are is that our Imbecile in Chief is an international War Criminal, but nothing can be done about it.

Actually, for how horrible going into Iraq was, it was *not* technically illegal. After the Gulf War, we signed a cease-fire with Iraq, setting up no-fly zones in the north and south. They shot at our patrol planes SEVERAL times, and even downed a spy plane.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/1511540.stm

This is all that is technically needed to break the cease fire and enter the country. It doesnt matter if you agree with it or not, or think its splitting hairs, but thats how it works.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: XMan

If our foreign policy was to blame, why were we attacked during Bill Clinton's presidency? He did more more for the people of the Middle East than any president in recent memory.

Blaming the victim is illogical. At some point you have to look at the perpetrator and analyze his reasoning for doing what was done. In the case of Islamic terrorist attacks, they generally come right out and tell us. We just haven't been listening.

That you're not listening is exactly what LR seems to me to be saying so I guess you agree with him.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000

:confused:

May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: palehorse
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands
There are 3 reasons to be allowed to commit military action in another nation:

1. You've been invited/allowed by the official government, or an overwhelming majority of the people, AND there is an absolutely known direct threat against us which has attacked us from that nation.
2. That nation (ie the government officially, or an overwhelming majority of the people) performed the attack against us.
3. That nation (ie the government officially, or an overhwleming majority of the people) has launched attacks against other nations who did not first attack them AND the global community has agreed to commit to war against them to cease such actions.

That's it. Anything else is an illegal act of war, and the entire world should band together against the aggressor.
In 2001, we loudly announced a fourth reason to the entire world. If a nation houses or supports Al Qaeda and refuses to hand them over to us, we will take care of the issue ourselves.

Based on that criteria Afghanistan is questionable at best, Iraq is flat out wrong.
In Afghanistan, America and NATO are in an honorable and just war against the Taliban and AQ. Period.

Iraq was wrong, yes.

We can work against ideologies we don't agree with, in lawful ways. We can reach accommodation with those who are willing to do so. We can contribute to solving the problems which create such groups in the world. We can commit to social and economic sanctions, and encourage others to do the same. With enough global pressure one of two things must occur: the offender will cave partially or completely, the offender will violate us in a manner already covered in the reasons for war above. This will not always work, but will diffuse a large percentage of issues. The rest is simply the cost of existing with others on the same planet.
We must do all of the above and hunt down and destroy AQ wherever they pop up. Failing to do so would be a tactical blunder beyond comprehension. Unlike you, I am not willing to sacrifice innocent lives, without recourse, simply as a "cost of existing with others on the same planet."

You are essentially justifying the existence of terrorist sanctuaries which is entirely unacceptable.

Having caused so much damage already, leaving could cause extensive problems. However, done correctly, it could also alleviate many problems. Staying WILL cause problems, as has already been demonstrated clearly. Leaving at least returns us to a position of ideological superiority.
There is no doubt that we can leave Iraq "correctly," but doing so may take eight years.

See how that works?

Unfortunately, leaving tomorrow is not an option.

Moreover, with proper social and economic support it should be possible to accomplish much of the positive goals of our invasion, without as much cost, losses, invoking of anger, etc. It is always best to lead by example, not by force.
true... but, now that we're there, both methods are required.

If any nation is taken over by any ideological group, it presents issues. The situation you suggest would be no worse than any other, such as neo-cons taking over control of the USA, as already demonstrated. Again, the way to handle it, like anything else, is through negotiation and compromise. In extreme situations you implement sanctions and gather global support. That either forces a change, or leads to acceptable warfare.
you... just... don't... get... it.

Countries like Somalia, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Syria, Sudan, etc, do not have centralized governments that are capable of controlling their own entire territory. Al Qaeda has taken advantage of that fact for more than a decade. they have used such places to establish safe havens from which they operate and export terror throughout the entire free world.

It sounds as though you would encourage such safe havens to exist by tying our hands. How would sanctions or negotiations with the central governments of those nations have ANY impact on the existence of AQ safe havens within their territories?!

I would go considerably farther than the original plea by extending this 'hands-off' attitude to all covert operations as well (with the possible exception of information gathering). In other words, no more school of the americas, no more cia overthrows, etc. It only goes badly for everyone involved. All such actions are at LEAST as bad as overt military engagements.
You're a pacifist, plain and simple.

Good luck with that. I'll be over here ensuring you have the right to stay that way...

No, you'll be carrying out illegal and often immoral operations that I neither asked for nor support for a lunatic administration. I served my time, and would again if the situation called for it. It doesn't.

Calling me a pacifist is perhaps the funniest thing you have ever said, and that's saying a lot. I just prefer my violence be tempered with rationality and, yes, even morality.

Jun 26, 2007
we shall fight on the landing grounds,
we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
we shall fight in the hills;
we shall never surrender.

Wherever they are, they will know that we're coming for them and they will never feel safe, no matter where they are in the world.

May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: JohnOfSheffield

Wherever they are, they will know that we're coming for them and they will never feel safe, no matter where they are in the world.

And that certainly wouldn't inspire anyone to fight tooth and nail...feeling persecuted and hunted like that.

Not saying many of them don't deserve it, only that as a policy it absolutely guarantees fanatical resistance and easy recruitment against us. In other words, it constitutes self-fulfilling prophecy and solves nothing.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
PrinceofWands said:

But, CAD it is the law of our land... by Treaty and all that... you know... sorta spose to follow that.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
PrinceofWands said:

I think what he said was that it was illegal under international law and we signed the treaty binding us to that law. I think the implications are is that our Imbecile in Chief is an international War Criminal, but nothing can be done about it.

Actually, for how horrible going into Iraq was, it was *not* technically illegal. After the Gulf War, we signed a cease-fire with Iraq, setting up no-fly zones in the north and south. They shot at our patrol planes SEVERAL times, and even downed a spy plane.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/1511540.stm

This is all that is technically needed to break the cease fire and enter the country. It doesnt matter if you agree with it or not, or think its splitting hairs, but thats how it works.

Well... not to split hairs.. but the UN Charter is the Law and we did sorta meet the criteria by stating....
Iraq has WMD, The delivery systems to effect launch, and they intend to do so within 45 day.... That is what we said to justify invasion.... to thwart an attack on the US or its possessions

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: XMan

Cuz our foreign policy dictates how we interface outside our borders??? I'm quite certain all this didn't occur cuz we raised sales tax in Oklahoma... or Iowa.

Jun 26, 2007

And that certainly wouldn't inspire anyone to fight tooth and nail...feeling persecuted and hunted like that.

Not saying many of them don't deserve it, only that as a policy it absolutely guarantees fanatical resistance and easy recruitment against us. In other words, it constitutes self-fulfilling prophecy and solves nothing.

"many" of them don't deserve it?

And you are wrong, without the war in Iraq, which was the biggest mistake in modern history and has led to a spread of violence that will last for at least a centurey, we could focus on the issue at hand. Hell, if the invasion of Afghanistan would have been as spectacular and YEEE HAAAWW as the invasion of Iraq and with the same amount of troops on the ground it would have been over in a month and there would be NO one left to fight.

You're trying to blame me and the likes of me for the ineptitude of your own government? Won't stick with me, i've done my job flawlessly in all three current zones and have absolutely no regrets about any of it.

Jun 26, 2007
PrinceofWands said:

But, CAD it is the law of our land... by Treaty and all that... you know... sorta spose to follow that.

You'll lose what little support you have in Iraq and all support in Afghanistan if you don't.

Of course, then you can be all mavericky and go mavericking all over the place.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003

:confused:

You look confused!.. Ah, but it's no wonder with all the folks pulled to one side of an issue or another and sitting there trying to conjure up anything that remotely justifies what their 'feelings' are.
I figure the place to start any analysis of this sort is to find the legal standing for it and then move to where that takes one. This sort of scenario works for Gitmo and Iraq and Iran and most anything or anywhere.. The Rule of Law.. It is what makes us Free. God or Gods or absence of them is not relevant to OUR law even though the law is developed by folks with their own bias (and the need to get reelected) that is inculcated and nurtured over the years. (for the most part, anyhow)
What we do in Israel is based on our assessment of the National Security interests there and perhaps that a God has earmarked the Jews as his chosen people - I presume the Jews living in downtown Burbank are covered too by this condition. The folks with out any God to guide them sorta look to what they 'feel' is the right thing and some even consider the legal aspects too.
My God, and I think I can reveal this with out upsetting him, don't much care about any of this. I figure he has a conduit to each person that is, was and ever will be.. a personal conduit that is separate and apart from what ever reality the folks may endure under. It is folks who push their positions on others always seeking to justify their bit by attacking the other folks bit... We seem to forget that we is we and they are they. Well,... under law the UN can authorize us invading a nation to eliminate Human Rights issues and termites if we take a notion to... but under law... It is fine by me to respond to any situation legally and with the force to eliminate the issue but no further.

My God once said - or I read he said but seems like he would have said had he not said - while looking at a Roman coin.... "Who's face is it upon this coin?" someone said "it is Cesar's face" and he said "Then render unto Cesar that which is Cesar's and unto God that which is God's"... Sorta His Law... IOW... My God don't care about nuttin but the souls of mankind... and maybe ever the puppies and kitties but I don't have a clue there.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
PrinceofWands said:

You'll lose what little support you have in Iraq and all support in Afghanistan if you don't.

Of course, then you can be all mavericky and go mavericking all over the place.

hehehehe right... I think that IF I were elected President and IF I had a mandate to end all this I'd be fighting in the Capital of the Nation I wanted to ummmm maverick in.. IOW... I'd start at the top and work down... sooner or later I'd convince folks to see it my way or not see at all... but I'm simple that way. It does presume I'd have the legal footing to do that but if so, that is how I'd do it.. My MOABs would visit upon the leaders of the countries supporting terrorists the terror contained there in... My religion or their's has no concern to my prosecution of the effort... I don't care what they are... I do care about the innocents and would have to evaluate their ummmmmm safety and all that but if I could end it by loosing 10 to save 1,000,000, I'd do it.
Someone ought to have said ... IF you cut of the head the legs and arms are useless... OK... I know... the arguement is .. can't do that if they are hiding in the mountains... well... I do love the mountains... especially K2... hate to see it gone... but with that goes them.

May 16, 2000

And you are wrong, without the war in Iraq, which was the biggest mistake in modern history and has led to a spread of violence that will last for at least a centurey, we could focus on the issue at hand. Hell, if the invasion of Afghanistan would have been as spectacular and YEEE HAAAWW as the invasion of Iraq and with the same amount of troops on the ground it would have been over in a month and there would be NO one left to fight.

You're trying to blame me and the likes of me for the ineptitude of your own government? Won't stick with me, i've done my job flawlessly in all three current zones and have absolutely no regrets about any of it.

About that I totally agree. That's how it should have gone. I disagree that there would be no one left to fight...there will ALWAYS be people of the opposing viewpoint. We're not facing an enemy, we're facing an idea and ideas can never die. Even if you had a magic button that would instantly kill EVERY terrorist in the world, there would be more tomorrow. The best you can accomplish is reducing their number and temporary power base.

However if you do so at the expense of justice, at the cost of ideology...well, then it's just going to be that much worse the next time, AND that next time will come that much faster.

I don't recall blaming you for anything. I just pointed out that the mindset you espoused had negative consequences if applied to foreign policy.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
There is nothing wrong with JOS saying---we shall fight on the landing grounds,

Even though he is using the words of Winston Churchill, uttered in the dark days of WW2, when a German cross Channel invasion looked probable, and all the rest of Europe was already under Hitlers thumb.
And as Germans were boasting they would wring the English neck like a chicken, Sir Winston pointed out, some chicken, some neck, and proved he was right in the end.

The problem with such inspiring words, is that they cut both ways for the Arabs and Afghan people. And while the English have not had to deal with a real invasion since 1066, when William the Conquer accomplished the feat in 1066, quite a number of Muslim countries have been conquered by the Brits. And while they are not quite as resolute, and do not quite say we shall fight on the landing grounds,

The bottom line is that they still never surrender. These countries are used to time lines measured in Centuries. Its their history, and they always win in the end. Some food for thought for you JOS, try to oppose powerful historical forces and you get crushed, go with historical forces and you can gain allies.

Jun 26, 2007

About that I totally agree. That's how it should have gone. I disagree that there would be no one left to fight...there will ALWAYS be people of the opposing viewpoint. We're not facing an enemy, we're facing an idea and ideas can never die. Even if you had a magic button that would instantly kill EVERY terrorist in the world, there would be more tomorrow. The best you can accomplish is reducing their number and temporary power base.

However if you do so at the expense of justice, at the cost of ideology...well, then it's just going to be that much worse the next time, AND that next time will come that much faster.

I don't recall blaming you for anything. I just pointed out that the mindset you espoused had negative consequences if applied to foreign policy.

I've been in Afghanistan for six years with two six months periods off, i don't give a flying FUCK what you think.

I've lived with the population and the ONLY thing they want after four decades of hell is peace, rid them of the Talibans and there will not be ONE left to fight.

Now the Talibans aren't here and neither are we, Pakistan needs to get their shit together because obama is not going to give them blow jobs and swallow like Bush has or McCain will.

Re-enforcements are coming, better strategies are being developed, new planes are coming that are not bound by US orders, it's pretty much surrender or die for them.

Don't EVER tell a Captain in the middle of the zone we're discussing that he doesn't know because he always does.

May 16, 2000

I've been in Afghanistan for six years with two six months periods off, i don't give a flying FUCK what you think.

I've lived with the population and the ONLY thing they want after four decades of hell is peace, rid them of the Talibans and there will not be ONE left to fight.

Now the Talibans aren't here and neither are we, Pakistan needs to get their shit together because obama is not going to give them blow jobs and swallow like Bush has or McCain will.

Re-enforcements are coming, better strategies are being developed, new planes are coming that are not bound by US orders, it's pretty much surrender or die for them.

Don't EVER tell a Captain in the middle of the zone we're discussing that he doesn't know because he always does.

I don't care if you don't care what I think. As a human being I am entitled to an opinion. As a student of history and political science I'm entitled to present a considered argument. As an American I'm entitled to vote my conscience for the person I feel will create foreign policy most closely resembling those stances. You can feel free to do any or none of those yourself as well. Welcome to free will.

Bullshit. The only thing you know is what's visible to you, and what's told to you. That's why the people who make big decisions aren't the ones holding the weapons and getting shot at. Your position would entitle you to respect and possibly even deference if we're considering who would be best suited to physically participate in an action in Afghanistan. It means nothing when discussing the ramifications of foreign policy. Being shot at, and shooting others, doesn't make you important, or right. Ballsy, maybe. But not inherently right or special.

I'm not asking who can 'win the fight'. I'm questioning why we're fighting and if it should continue. I'm asking questions about things that have nothing to do with troop deployment, logistics, and firepower...but philosophy, morality, and justice. You, and the military in general, may be experts at the first but that doesn't qualify you to influence the second. In fact, it should always be the other way around.

The 'Taliban' is a Sunni Islamist movement with a certain set of goals and philosophies, currently headed by certain people and doing certain things. Some leaders of the movement have come and gone, but the movement itself remains. Some policies and activities of the movement have changed, but the movement itself remains. If they changed their name they would still be the same people and the same goals. If you killed them all tomorrow the name would still exist, and the goals, and others who came to share those goals would reform it. My point is that just removing the people doesn't change anything. They came together and developed their ideals for a reason and in a certain way, and just removing the people doesn't change those aspects. You cannot remove an idea. Ever.

Nothing you do, militarily, will ever 'fix' the issues that caused them to form in the first place. Nothing you do culturally or economically will ever fully remove the concept they fight under. For all time we will be faced with the potential for such actions. The only question is how we will face it. Will we abandon morality, rationality, and ideology and become what we despise in order to accomplish nothing at immeasurable cost to the world?

As always I respect any individuals choice to participate in something they believe in. As a former military member I know the crap that servicemen face and respect the hard work they do. Just realize that doesn't mean I want you to run the world, because our overall goals and philosophies may not be compatible.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
As Jos asserts, Don't EVER tell a Captain in the middle of the zone we're discussing that he doesn't know because he always does. Well, Jos, I shall drink a toast to every Captain, Major, Colonel, and General in every losing war over the centuries. Including quite a few in the US. When it came to a General, for my money, no one in history looked more like a general than William Westmoreland. He still failed to win the war in Vietnam and you ain't any different JOS. No one questions your competence or dedication, but if Nato does not get politically smarter, we will all lose in Afghanistan.

And when it comes to political smarts, pardon me JOS, you seem to be in denial and standing behind the door. If you had any brains, you would be at least starting to question a strategy that is failing for seven years running. Even your British Generals openly admit it.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
It sounds like the self-defense clauses in Article 51 of the UN charter may be the answer all of you legal types were looking for... me? I just call it common-fucking-sense.

U.S. cites self - defense in raiding Syria from Iraq
WASHINGTON: A raid into Syria on Sunday was carried out by American Special Operations forces who killed an Iraqi militant responsible for running weapons, money and foreign fighters across the border into Iraq, American officials said.

The helicopter-borne attack into Syria was by far the boldest by American commandos in the five years since the United States invaded Iraq and began to condemn Syria's role in stoking the Iraqi insurgency.

The timing was startling, not least because American officials praised Syria in recent months for its efforts to halt traffic across the border.

But in justifying the attack, American officials said the Bush administration was determined to operate under an expansive definition of self-defense that provided a rationale for strikes on militant targets in sovereign nations without those countries' consent.

Together with a similar American commando raid into Pakistan more than seven weeks ago, the operation on Sunday appeared to reflect an intensifying effort by the Bush administration to find a way during its waning months to attack militants even beyond the borders of Iraq and Afghanistan, where the United States is at war.

Administration officials declined to say whether the emerging application of self-defense could lead to strikes against camps inside Iran that have been used to train Shiite "special groups" that have fought with the American military and Iraqi security forces.

American officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the secrecy of the raid said the mission had been mounted rapidly over the weekend on orders from the Central Intelligence Agency when the location of the man suspected of leading an insurgent cell, an Iraqi known as Abu Ghadiya, was confirmed. About two dozen American commandos in specially equipped Black Hawk helicopters swooped into the village of Sukkariyah, 10 kilometers, or six miles, from the Iraqi border, just before 5 p.m., and fought a brief gun battle with Abu Ghadiya and several members of his cell, the officials said.

It was unclear whether Abu Ghadiya died near his tent on the battlefield or after he was taken into American custody, one senior American official said.

One United States official described Abu Ghadiya as Al Qaeda in Mesopotamia's "most prominent" smuggler of foreign operatives crossing the Syrian border into Iraq, and in February the Treasury Department named him as one of four major figures in that group living in Syria.

The official said Abu Ghadiya was in his late 20s and came from a family of smugglers in Anbar Province, in western Iraq. He was also suspected of having led an attack in May on a police station in western Iraq that killed 11 Iraqi officers, an American official said.

Spokesmen for the Defense Department and the CIA declined to comment on the attack. On Sunday, an American military official had denied that American military helicopters had played a part in the raid.

Since the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks, the United States has attacked terrorism suspects in the ungoverned spaces of countries like Yemen and Somalia. But administration officials said Monday that the strikes in Pakistan and Syria were carried out on the basis of a legal argument that has been refined in recent months to justify strikes by troops and by rockets on militants in countries with which the United States is not at war.

The justification is different from the concept of pre-emption the administration articulated immediately after the Sept. 11 attacks, and which was used as the rationale for the invasion of Iraq. While pre-emption was used to justify attacks against governments and their armies, the self-defense argument would justify attacks on insurgents operating on foreign soil that threatened the forces, allies or interests of the United States.

Administration officials pointed Monday to a passage in President George W. Bush's speech to the United Nations General Assembly last month as the clearest articulation of this position to date.

"As sovereign states, we have an obligation to govern responsibly, and solve problems before they spill across borders," Bush said. "We have an obligation to prevent our territory from being used as a sanctuary for terrorism and proliferation and human trafficking and organized crime."

In seeking to carry out cross-border missions inside Pakistan and now in Syria, the U.S. government is expected to make the case that these operations will help protect the lives of American troops. It is not clear how far-reaching the White House may be in seeking to apply the rationale, but several senior American officials expressed hope that it would be embraced by the next president as well.

The American military has on occasion mounted attacks on Syrian soil to support its military operations in Iraq, but they mostly have been cross-border missile strikes, and there was a rare case of ground forces briefly crossing the frontier in hot pursuit of insurgents.

In London on Monday, Syrian foreign minister, Walid al-Moallem, accused the United States of "terrorist aggression" in the raid, in which Syria said eight civilians had been killed. A senior American official said that all the people killed in the assault were militants, and that women and children living with the militants had not been harmed.

In seeking support in international law for its actions, the Bush administration is joining a list of nations that have cited Article 51 of the United Nations Charter, which enshrines the right of individual or collective self-defense to all member states.

Over the years, a growing body of legal argument has made the case that this right of self-defense allows a nation to take military action on the territory of another sovereign nation that is unable or unwilling to take measures on its own to halt the threat.

This argument was emphasized when the Israeli military mounted a hostage-rescue mission at Entebbe airport in Uganda in 1976, and similar arguments have been made to defend actions by the Colombian military against the FARC guerrillas seeking haven in neighboring countries, and Turkish troops pursuing Kurdish militants in their sanctuaries in northern Iraq.

Israel also made this argument when, in September last year, its warplanes attacked what Israel said was a nuclear reactor in Syria that was nearing operational capability.

This month, General David Petraeus, the former top commander in Iraq, said that the flow of foreign fighters into Iraq had dwindled to less than 20 a month from a peak of more than 120 a month a year ago.

But one military officer said Monday that while Syria had been able to take specific steps like detaining combat-age men found flying into Damascus airport on one-way tickets, there had been less success in halting the flow of money and weapons to the insurgency.

The Iraqi government found itself in an awkward position on Monday as it sought at once to remain on friendly terms with Syria, which is a neighbor and now home to more than a million Iraqi refugees, but also to bolster the United States in going after people believed to be fomenting antigovernment unrest in Iraq.

"This area was a staging ground for activities by terrorist organizations hostile to Iraq," said Ali al-Dabbagh, the Iraqi government spokesman.

He said Iraq had previously requested that Syrian authorities hand over insurgents who used Syria as their base.

Mark Mazzetti contributed reporting from Washington, and Alissa J. Rubin from Baghdad.