Question Brand new ADATA SSD runs way hot and throttle!

rezasmith

Nov 19, 2020
So i just got this SSD today , it's ADATA SU650 480GB and i was really surprised , at first i encountered a bug where data written was 700TB before even making a partition (spoiler alert : it's 25660TB after a couple of hours LOL) so this is not too much of a problem just a software bug

but then after monitoring for a bit i realized the temperature is WAY HIGH , my windows is on my other ssd and im not even using the ssd in anyway and it idles at 67C as i'm writing this , it was lower before but it is 67c right now

when it was cooler i did run crystaldisk and the speed was actually impressive but when i noticed the temp went higher than 70c i ran crystaldisk again and it throttled to hell (screenshots at the end)

So I can't really refund it but i think i can get another one , but what i'm scared of right now is that all of SU650 SSDs are this bad , is this the case?

gcDYqYP.jpg

VKS0pk4.jpg

NewMaxx

Aug 11, 2007
Most SSDs throttle in the 70-80C range. The SU650 is known to be a lesser drive and can run hot. I would consider that too hot, but your case cooling must be a large factor.

rezasmith

Nov 19, 2020
Most SSDs throttle in the 70-80C range. The SU650 is known to be a lesser drive and can run hot. I would consider that too hot, but your case cooling must be a large factor.
but , for example , i have had my 850 evo ssd for 4 years now and the max temp ever recorded on it is 55c , i have this adata ssd for 24hours and max temp is 90c ! they are in their own bracket so i don't really think that's the issue

NewMaxx

Aug 11, 2007
but , for example , i have had my 850 evo ssd for 4 years now and the max temp ever recorded on it is 55c , i have this adata ssd for 24hours and max temp is 90c ! they are in their own bracket so i don't really think that's the issue

Various factor for that - SLC caching, density of the NAND packages, etc. Also as razel stated, that many TB written seems off, although I guess that's not reflected in CrystalDiskInfo?

rezasmith

Nov 19, 2020
Various factor for that - SLC caching, density of the NAND packages, etc. Also as razel stated, that many TB written seems off, although I guess that's not reflected in CrystalDiskInfo?
yeah TB Written is just a software bug i assume? it doesn't show in crystaldiskinfo but it shows the right amount in Sentinel which is like 500GB after 45Hours