Brain damaged BestBuy TV shopper

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Hugs my 60" Panny VT60.

If I was buying now, I'd buy 4k. I keep my TVs for years.

Sony XBR used to be high end TVs. Has that changed?

You are right. When my Pioneer plasma went south I had to make a choice on what to replace it with. It took two years before I finally did even though it needed it.

Sony XBR are still high end tvs. The XBR series is Sony's top end line, Samsung has the SUHD line, and Vizio the R (reference) series. LG simply has an OLED lineup that is their top end. I do not know about sharp and Panasonic to be honest.

Last edited:

AntiHypocrite

Dec 20, 2015
It's pretty late in the game now, I admit, but who knows? Someone could possibly be looking at a used unit and consider a review very helpful, so here goes...

We ended up purchasing a returned LG webOS TV OLED65B6P in 2016. I had a couple of guys in the BestBuy store remove it from its perfect packaging, so we could give it an NCIS-type visual inspection and, long story short, it looked flawless (and still does to this day).

We're very close to six years of regular use and, quite honestly, I cannot lodge any major complaints about this TV. The only minor complaint I have is a bit of "ghosting" during video containing fast movement. When I watch video where the movement is fairly slow, there is zero ghosting, but really fast action shots -- against bright backgrounds especially -- will display some ghosting. Other than that, this has been an excellent and very dependable TV.

In addition to detailing our minor complaint, I suppose that I should also explain the strengths of this television. We watch a lot of programming that involves the great outdoors. When it comes to outdoor video, the picture quality of this OLED model is as good as any TV I've ever watched: even the newest models.

Anyway, that's an honest six-year review from a couple of first time OLED TV owners.

All the best of luck to you...

Last edited:

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
The only minor complaint I have is a bit of "ghosting" during video containing fast movement.

...the picture quality of this OLED model...

Glad you like your purchase. My friend has an OLED and it is amazing.

It is my understanding that OLED panels switch very fast and should not be subject to ghosting. This is supposed to be one of their advantages. Maybe someone can chime in about this or maybe there is some kind of setting?

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ Thanks but, TV tech changes so much, that nobody is looking to buy a 6 year old TV today and how it aged well, doesn't really tell anything about a current model LG, although I would "HOPE" that if you pay that much, that anything you buy will last a few more years than the budget offerings.

By budget offerings I mostly mean 2nd/3rd tier brands. I see a lot of people tempted to get more/newer tech or larger size for same price by settling for a 2nd tier or lower brand and a lot of them may not have the 6+ year lifespan that yours has had, but of course I don't really mean years, more like running hours in a moderate ambient temperature.

... and yeah, please don't use the blue text, very hard to read for those of us using the forum dark mode.

AntiHypocrite

Dec 20, 2015
I've never quite understood the "mission" of the forum police. You do understand that you don't have to participate in open forums, right? So please don't arrest me for trying to close a forum that I started. Have a nice day.

Jul 27, 2020
I was purposely giving the thread I started closure by writing an honest six-year review for others who may wish to buy a used LG OLED TV.
If you don't mind, could you run this on your OLED:

See if you can see any faint images or ghosts, especially in the four corners of the screen where logos often appear and stay fixed.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
I've never quite understood the "mission" of the forum police. You do understand that you don't have to participate in open forums, right? So please don't arrest me for trying to close a forum that I started. Have a nice day.
we don't archive threads specifically so that people can come back years later and provide updates or help get answers with problems that other users may have been able to work through.

AntiHypocrite

Dec 20, 2015

See if you can see any faint images or ghosts, especially in the four corners of the screen where logos often appear and stay fixed.
Hi Igor ~

I'd be more than happy to help you in any way I can, but I'm not proficient when it comes to employing our LG OLED TV as a computer monitor. I see that the test video you included in your post comes from YouTube (YT), but, once again, I'm not sure how to play back a YT video on our TV. If you could write back with some pointers, I will give it a try. By the way, our LG OLED TV has been used with an antenna-based DirecTV system for most of its service life.

Jul 27, 2020
If you could write back with some pointers, I will give it a try.
You can use the built-in youtube app in your LG TV but you would first need to connect it to the internet. Once in the youtube app, search "OLED Burn In Checker" and run the video. If all this sounds a bit complicated, no worries. I was just curious.

Reactions: AntiHypocrite

AntiHypocrite

Dec 20, 2015
No problem, Igor, now you've got me more than curious. :p

I try not to turn on "the box" until the evening, but I'll definitely try to play with the settings to see if I can get a connection to the interwebs as soon as I get some time for it. Either way, I will let you know what I come up with.

Jul 27, 2020
It may ask for the latest firmware update and I think you will need to let it update. Might be required to run the Youtube app.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Another option is just download the youtube video on a computer, put it on a flash drive, plug into TV, pick it as the source in the TV menu (if it doesn't automatically pop up asking to do this when it detects the drive) and play from that. Well, there are even more potential options but this one only takes one sentence to describe in terms that are small steps.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

AntiHypocrite

Dec 20, 2015

Okay, so first things first, I must give credit to @mindless1 for his simple suggestion (for a simple old veteran). I used the AirPlay function on our MacBook Pro to play Igor's "OLED Burn In Checker (4K)" YouTube video...and, yes, I did see some very faint images in lower-right corner and along the bottom of the screen: but it was only visible when the color red filled the screen. For every other color used in the test, I saw absolutely nothing.

If nothing else, I'm a honest man, so I have to clearly state that I don't know what seeing faint images in the red screen means, but I hope that it's helpful to @igor_kavinski and anyone else interested in what a 6-year-old LG OLED performs like.

Regardless, learning new "stuff" is fun! :beercheers:

Jul 27, 2020
yes, I did see some very faint images in lower-right corner and along the bottom of the screen: but it was only visible when the color red filled the screen. For every other color used in the test, I saw absolutely nothing.
That's a great result! I have an OLED too so it's good to get confirmation from a long time user that burn-in isn't that big of an issue as some TV reviewers have made it out to be.

Reactions: AntiHypocrite