Brack Obama's private prayer published

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Drift3r
Originally posted by: Butterbean
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Obama is a mirror in which we can see the filth that is ourselves or the hope that is our dreams.

Obama is a Marxist/Alinsky hack from Chicago whose kids said he's "stinky" in the mornings. He's not a mirror or a Donnie Darko character. Too much weed.

:disgust:

Yeah whatever get back on your meds.

Hehe, my reaction was somewhat different. I'm going, "What the hell is a Marxist/Alinsky hack and who the hell is Donnie Darko and how did weed get into this?"

My personal terrors run along the lines of fearing belly button lint. I'm wondering what American version of the Madrases terrified poor Butterbean with this sort of shit. Of course it's always possible he's some sort of paranoid novelty, but this sounds pretty canned to me. Donnie Darko, is there even such a person? I have, I will confess, however, been keeping an eye out on the sky. I'm terrified of getting bats in my hair too.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Ocguy31
Its funny that Obama isnt as Liberal as the lefties would like to portray...asking a pretend man in the sky to be his "instrument"...thats fundie talk right there.

The more you look at it, the more they are all the same.

Since when is liberalism opposed to the free practice of religion? :confused:

Try not to confuse left-wing atheists on the internet with mainstream liberalism, eh?

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Obama is a mirror in which we can see the filth that is ourselves or the hope that is our dreams.

Obama is a Marxist/Alinsky hack from Chicago whose kids said he's "stinky" in the mornings. He's not a mirror or a Donnie Darko character. Too much weed.

That was his wife, not his kids. She did it to humanize him. Of course, some women didn't like her talking down about her husband so she dropped it.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Is is time that someone finally calls Butterbean on the fact that Saul Alinsky was not a Marxist?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Yeah, I guess he was a community and labor organizer who believed in working within the system.

That, of course, would mean he threatened a lot of people's source of wealth. The standard operating procedure in a case like that is to buy negative publicity for that person and spread it among the psychotic hate groups and use their madness to destroy the person. Doubtless the nut cases that were created to attack Alinsky are not being used to attack Obama. We could probably go out on the net and find the folk who have Alinsky up their ass and identify Butterbean's Madras.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Yeah, I guess he was a community and labor organizer who believed in working within the system.

That, of course, would mean he threatened a lot of people's source of wealth. The standard operating procedure in a case like that is to buy negative publicity for that person and spread it among the psychotic hate groups and use their madness to destroy the person. Doubtless the nut cases that were created to attack Alinsky are not being used to attack Obama. We could probably go out on the net and find the folk who have Alinsky up their ass and identify Butterbean's Madras.

Text

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Vic

Text

Fascinating. I went and read about Paleoconservatism too.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

Text

Here's a more relevant bit with regards to BB -- Text

In short, he's a Neo-Nazi conspiracy theorist.

Butterbean

Banned
Oct 12, 2006
Is is time that someone finally calls Butterbean on the fact that Saul Alinsky was not a Marxist?

He was. Your probably assuming he as a classical economic Marxist which he was not. He was more of the Gramscian cultural Marxist - hence his warning for the radicals of a vanguard to appear mainstream (like Obama does) so as to penetrate institutions and create chaos (divide and conquer).

Alinsky was not so much a philosopher as a psychopolitical agitator. He taught radicals to "Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it." He wanted people to suffer attacks rather than institutions. He advised using ridicule and defamation because it was "infuriating" and hard to fight back. The Clintons followed Alinsky in there triangulations. The Democrats as a whole use these defamation techniques.

From Rules For Radicals:

"What follows is for those who want to change the world from what it is to what they believe it should be. The Prince was written by Machiavelli for the Haves on how to hold power. Rules for Radicals is written for the Have-Nots on how to take it away."

Thats your Barry right there

Butterbean

Banned
Oct 12, 2006

Text

Here's a more relevant bit with regards to BB -- Text

In short, he's a Neo-Nazi conspiracy theorist.

That link doesn't say anything. Makes it sound like 2 guys invented criticism of Frankfurt school. They are well known Neo-Marxists hugely influential. "Eros and Civilization" by Herbert Marcuse was a synthesis of Marx and Freud and postulated sexual liberation as psychological and political liberation. A lot of the decline of the 60's had its roots in Marcuse and his buddies.

Here's a link of many people influenced by Marcuse (who advocated Freud's polymorphous perversions as a way to erode the restrictive and repressive family unit)

http://www.marcuse.org/herbert/scholaractivists.htm

Some of those listed scholars and activists who were influenced by Herbert Marcuse include

Lowell Bergman professor at the UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism, former investigative journalist and producer of CBS's 60 Minutes and PBS's Frontline.

Norman BirnbaumProfessor at Georgetown University Law School, member of the editorial board of The Nation.

Angela Davis, activist philosopher and professor in the History of Consciousness program at the University of California, Santa Cruz.

Jutta DitfurthJutta.sociologist and German Green party co-founder

Ariel Dorfman, Chilean-American professor of Literature and Latin American Studies at Duke University since 1985; playwright, political essayist, poet, novelist.

Abbie Hoffman

Bill Moyers:

"In 1965, I sent to the President an essay by Herbert Marcuse, the leftist philosopher so admired by the student movement, in which Marcuse applauded LBJ's objectives, but doubted the government's ability to stay the course. "Rebuilding the cities, restoring the countryside, redeeming the poor and reforming education," said Marcuse, "could produce nondestructive full employment. This requires," he said, ''nothing more, nothing less than the actual reconstruction outlined in the President's program. But the very program," he said, "requires the transformation of power structures standing in the way of its fulfillment."

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
It's outrageous that someone would publish a private prayer. That said, that's a pretty tame, standard prayer. Nothing disturbing about it to me.

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Nebor
It's outrageous that someone would publish a private prayer. That said, that's a pretty tame, standard prayer. Nothing disturbing about it to me.

Leave it to Obama to pubish a prayer that was written for him..... :disgust:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Budmantom

Explain?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

He was. Your probably assuming he as a classical economic Marxist which he was not. He was more of the Gramscian cultural Marxist - hence his warning for the radicals of a vanguard to appear mainstream (like Obama does) so as to penetrate institutions and create chaos (divide and conquer).

Alinsky was not so much a philosopher as a psychopolitical agitator. He taught radicals to "Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it." He wanted people to suffer attacks rather than institutions. He advised using ridicule and defamation because it was "infuriating" and hard to fight back. The Clintons followed Alinsky in there triangulations. The Democrats as a whole use these defamation techniques.

From Rules For Radicals:

"What follows is for those who want to change the world from what it is to what they believe it should be. The Prince was written by Machiavelli for the Haves on how to hold power. Rules for Radicals is written for the Have-Nots on how to take it away."

Thats your Barry right there

"Cultural Marxist" is relatively recent term made-up by Neo-Nazis and moral authoritarian paleoconservatives. What is tragic about its use is that it demonstrates a remarkable ignorance about Marxism itself. Marx, for example, would never have advocated these fight-within-the-system techniques that you just copy-and-pasted (as usual) as supposed examples of Alinksy's Marxism. Marxism requires violent revolution, by definition.

So why the smear? I wondered. It made no sense until the obvious hit me. What was Alinsky fighting for? What was his motivation? Social justice and equality. His tactics were questionable, for sure, but that's not what you're actually against, because you clearly have no issue with using similar tactics when it suits your purposes. You're using exactly the same pick it, freeze it, personalize it, polarize it tactic with Obama everyday right on these forums.
So the answer must be that you are fighting against equality and justice in society. IOW, you side with Machiavelli that the "Haves" should be able to hold power forever. So, you're just the other side of the coin from the people you hate.
This is further cemented by your constant hate against Gramsci who yes was a Marxist, but mostly because he stood up against Mussolini's fascism. Thus, you reveal your own true colors.

BTW, I'm a libertarian type. I believe in both social and economic freedom. You can't come in here and play your mine-is-the-only-American-culture Deep South bullshit and expect to get away with it.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: bbdub333
And make me an instrument of your will.

What a crazy religious nut job FREAK! He thinks God will tell him what to do to lead the country! What an idiot religious zealot!

Maybe he doesn't mean the God of light as much as the one of darkness.

Obama follows and teaches the ideas of Saul Alinsky who wrote "Rules For Radicals". The book began with this:

"From all our legends, mythology, and history (and who is to know where mythology leaves off and history begins ? or which is which), the first radical known to man who rebelled against the establishment and did it so effectively that he at least won his own kingdom ? Lucifer."

And out of all of the statements made or written by Alinsky, THIS is what you present to us as evidence of - what exactly, Barack Obama's secret satanic-communist agenda??? Are you really that deluded?

How about a few meaningful Alinsky quotes:

Society has good reason to fear the Radical. Every shaking advance of mankind toward equality and justice has come from the Radical. He hits, he hurts, he is dangerous. Conservative interests know that while Liberals are most adept at breaking their own necks with their tongues, Radicals are most adept at breaking the necks of Conservatives.

Quotes from Mao, Castro, and Che Guevara... are as germane to our highly technological, computerized society as a stagecoach on a jet runway at Kennedy airport.

[A radical] will fight any concentration of power hostile to a broad, popular democracy, whether he finds it in financial circles or in politics.

Life is a corrupting process from the time a child learns to play his mother off against his father in the politics of when to go to bed; he who fears corruption fears life.

There's a good deal one can disagree with in Alinsky's methods. For example, his rather extreme ends-justify-means approach to tackling social problems (and THAT is where your own Alinsky quotation comes in). But people followed, and are still inspired by, Alinsky because of his commitment to social justice. Naturally, your right-wing readings won't ever tell you what Alinsky actually stood for.

Stay ignorant and safe.

RKDaley

Oct 27, 2007
Rabbi condemns release of purported Obama prayer note
This sacrilegious action deserves sharp condemnation and represents a desecration of the holy site," said Rabbi Shmuel Rabinowitz, who supervises the Western Wall, in a statement.

He said notes are supposed to be removed twice a year, on the eve of Jewish New Year and Passover, and placed in a repository under supervision "to keep them hidden from human eyes."

"Notes which are placed in the Western Wall are between the person and his Maker; Heaven forbid that one should read them or use them in any way," Rabinowitz said.

"Anybody who goes to the Western Wall and places a note there does so under the assumption that it's a private communication between him and God, and therefore once he has that presumption of confidentiality, there are rabbinic decrees against reading anybody else's private communications," said Jonathan Rosenblum, director of the Orthodox Am Ehad think tank.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITI...bama.prayer/index.html

Hugh H

Jul 11, 2008
Originally posted by: Budmantom

Source or you are making stuff up.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
What initially seemed to be a journalistic scoop of dubious moral propriety now seems to be a case of an Israeli paper being played by the Barack Obama campaign. Maariv, the second most popular newspaper in Israel, was roundly criticized for publishing the note Obama left in the Kotel. But now a Maariv spokesperson says that publication of the note was pre-approved for international publication by the Obama campaign, leading to the conclusion that the "private" prayer was intentionally leaked...

it now appears that Maariv had collaborated with the Obama campaign in getting the "private" prayer, with its "modest" supplicaton to the Lord, out to the public, buffing his Christian credentials and showing his "humility."

A Ma'ariv spokesman was quoted in the Jerusalem Post as saying that "Barack Obama's note was approved for publication in the international media even before he put in the Kotel, a short time after he wrote it at the King David Hotel in Jerusalem."

http://web.israelinsider.com/b...bject&enZone=Politics&

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: loki8481
What initially seemed to be a journalistic scoop of dubious moral propriety now seems to be a case of an Israeli paper being played by the Barack Obama campaign. Maariv, the second most popular newspaper in Israel, was roundly criticized for publishing the note Obama left in the Kotel. But now a Maariv spokesperson says that publication of the note was pre-approved for international publication by the Obama campaign, leading to the conclusion that the "private" prayer was intentionally leaked...

it now appears that Maariv had collaborated with the Obama campaign in getting the "private" prayer, with its "modest" supplicaton to the Lord, out to the public, buffing his Christian credentials and showing his "humility."

A Ma'ariv spokesman was quoted in the Jerusalem Post as saying that "Barack Obama's note was approved for publication in the international media even before he put in the Kotel, a short time after he wrote it at the King David Hotel in Jerusalem."

http://web.israelinsider.com/b...bject&enZone=Politics&

I heard about this coming home from work. A big lmao at the outrage on this issue when it was Obama who had the damn thing published in the first place. Obama just put egg on your face.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Let's see how the press covers this bit of news.

He went to the wall in order to turn it into some good publicity?
Add this to the fact he didn't want to visit the soldiers because they wouldn't allow cameras.

Little things like this are going to turn a lot of people off. Explains why Obama is barely a head in the polls when he should be killing McCain.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
The MSM won't cover it because it isn't coming from a credible source.

I wonder, does this 'Maariv spokesperson' have any documentation that this note was approved for publication?

Yeah. It is sad to see people who will believe anything without proof, so long as it supports whatever it is that they already wanted to believe.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: ProfJohn

Add this to the fact he didn't want to visit the soldiers because they wouldn't allow cameras.

Little things like this are going to turn a lot of people off. Explains why Obama is barely a head in the polls when he should be killing McCain.

Dude, stop repeating talking points.

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Dari
Originally posted by: Kelvrick
I don't really want someone who is going to lead my country being "an instrument" of anyone's will or that he wants to be said instrument.

G-d is perfect. How can you not want him to be your guiding light?

Maybe he meant the God (yes, capitalized it to annoy you) Kali? :D

Oh, and as 'God' is a title and not a name there is no reason not to write it out fully. Unless you also write 'The L*rd', 'Th*'/'Th!$', 'The @ll-P%w^rF?ll', etc.

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Dari
It's shameful that someone would do this morose act to someone's private prayers.

http://www.time.com/time/world...826734,00.html?cnn=yes

Obama's Private Prayer 'Leaked'

Senator Barack Obama probably thought that the prayer he penned in the solitude of his King David hotel room in Jerusalem would remain between him and the Almighty. But an Orthodox Jewish student had other ideas.

Following Jewish tradition, Obama donned a yarmulke and went to the Western Wall, Judaism's holiest site, where shortly before dawn on Thursday he stuffed his prayer into a crevass between the giant white stones, hewn over 2,000 years ago. Traditionally such prayers, and there are over a million every year, some arriving by fax and email, are collected twice a year and buried on the Mount of Olives. It is considered taboo to read the prayers.

But after Obama and his entourage left the sacred site, an orthodox seminary student went to the Wall, fished out Obama's personal note and delivered it to Maariv newspaper, which duly printed the senator's prayer.

The newspaper's decision to publish Obama's private words was "an outrage", said Rabbbi Shmuel Rabinowitz, supervisor of the Western Wall. "It damages the personal, deep part of every one of us that we keep to ourselves," the rabbi told Army Radio. "The note placed between the stones of the Western Wall are between a person and his maker. It is forbidden to read them or make use of them."

Obama didn't pray for an election victory, a lottery win to help pay for his campaign, or for his Republican rival Senator John McCain to be felled by lightning or a pecadillo. On the contrary; his prayer hints at the struggle within, how Obama is seeking divine guidance to surmount the obstacles that lie ahead of him in his lonely, awesome challenge to become the next president of the United States. On hotel stationary, he penned the following prayer, according to Maariv, which ran a photo of the note: "Lord, protect my family and me," Obama wrote. "Forgive me my sins and help me guard against pride and despair. Give me the wisdom to do what is right and just. And make me an instrument of your will."

Obama, now finishing up the European leg of his tour, has not commented on his private prayer being made public in Jerusalem.

Does anyone actually believe this? The man is a top notch lawyer being guided by many top notch lawyers. Their very purpose is to expect the unexpected and to be intuitive beyond human measure.
Do you actually believe they would not have projected that someone would read this and that it would make its way into the media?
Seriously.
If this were truly Obamas prayer I would be cheering the man on.
I doubt it however.
Propaganda at its finest.
Lord let me live to eat my words!

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ProfJohn

How much are you being paid to parrot this crap over and over?