Boy Gets $90,000 Along With eBay-Bought PS2

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Unfortunately, he was stupid enough to report it to the authorities.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: jpeyton

Well, there aren't a whole lot of reasons to have $90k cash sitting around. One of those reasons would be that the money came from illegal activities. If that is the case, will the criminal be dumb enough to claim his money? We'll see. :)

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
File for missing item :) (the 2 games that were not included)

Also, if the owner doesnt claim it, the family can petition to get the 90K$ for themselves.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Tiamat
Also, if the owner doesnt claim it, the family can petition to get the 90K$ for themselves.
Unless the police determine they were ill-gotten funds, in which case they are confiscated.

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003

you must be the seller

i don't think a threat like that will reach him if it's posted here though, you'll need to contact the boy directly

AlgaeEater

May 9, 2006
Once in a life time opportunity. This isn't an electronic transfer of funds where it's traceable. It's literally just cash money in a box. Take it and donate half of it to charity if you have a guilt trip on it.

For those of you who go "Blah blah blah, traceable, etc", I don't think so in this case. It's hard to trace cash unless it's specifically in sequential order or literally fresh from a bank. If all these bills were crisp and new, then perhaps turning it in would be a good idea.

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
Turn it in of course. Otherwise you'd go and and try to spend it or put it in a bank account and soon you'll be hearing "Sir, just a moment, let me check something..." and five minutes later the cops swarm in.

AlgaeEater

May 9, 2006
Lots of places take cash, no questions asked. Putting money into a bank like that is asking to be caught. :beer:

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
Originally posted by: AlgaeEater
Lots of places take cash, no questions asked. Putting money into a bank like that is asking to be caught. :beer:

Okay lets try scenario 2 then

You launder the money, then one night a few months later you are lying asleep in bed when three guys break into your bedroom, and threaten to kill you until you give them the money. You tell them what you did. They kill you.

Q

Lifer
Jul 21, 2005

Stocks.

But really, I'd report it too, like Cobra said, you could have guys break in and threaten to kill you.

EDIT: Wait, I see what he means now...nevermind

AlgaeEater

May 9, 2006
Originally posted by: SVT Cobra

You launder the money, then one night a few months later you are lying asleep in bed when three guys break into your bedroom, and threaten to kill you until you give them the money. You tell them what you did. They kill you.

I understand your reasonable paranoia of the situation, but in that scenario it's possible they'll come and kill you anyway since you know about the money.

:beer:

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: SKORPI0
Link. :shocked:

What would you do if this happened to you?

Definitely leave positive feedback.

A++++ SELLER. DELIVERED ITEM AS DESCRIBED AND THEN SOME. WOULD DO BUSINESS AGAIN!

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
Originally posted by: SVT Cobra

I understand your reasonable paranoia of the situation, but in that scenario it's possible they'll come and kill you anyway since you know about the money.

:beer:

In that case, that's why you always sleep with one eye open. :p

Most likely though they either wanted to get rid of the money, or made a stupid mistake (or someone else sold it to you without knowing it was in there) and want their money back. They'll be a lot less pissed if you did not spend it.

If they only care about you knowing about the money, then one it is too late because you reported them, and two they don't even need to confront you because you don't know who they are.

PhoenixOrion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2004
Originally posted by: Tiamat
File for missing item :) (the 2 games that were not included)

The boy could have at least taken $600 of the stash to upgrade his PS2 to a PS3. Actually, could have made it to an even $1000....$400 for PS3 games.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, no sh!t.. WTF?!

I would have shat myself. Then put the money under my mattress and continued on as normal. ;)

As was alluded to... Most people don't have 90k in cash laying around. That's odd, to say the least..It was probably gotten through illegal activities. Otherwise, the story wouldn't have even gotten this far. If it was legit, the owner would have tracked the package down himself and beat down a UPS man if necessary. :laugh:

There's no way I would have contacted the authorities. I would have given it back if the owner asked for it, though.