Body Hair - What's the point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Probably a silly question.

I'm a pretty hairy guy. Hairy legs, hairy chest, hairy arms, I have to shave my face every other day, etc.

I'm considering getting pretty extensive laser hair reduction.

First things first, I'm going to have the back of my neck done, and some various spots on my back that I usually shave.

But this has me thinking.. I'd like to do my entire body. I don't mind the hair, but I'm a little more hairy than I'd like to be, and I'm sick of grooming myself. Fortunately I'm blond so most of my body hair isn't dark.

Is there an upside to body hair? What purpose does it serve? If I have my legs done, am I going to regret it because jeans will cause my friction on my skin because I don't have hair there? If I have my armpits done, will it cause perspiration issues?

I'm not wanting to be a 'pretty boy', I just don't like all the hair. I'd love to do my face, and never have to shave again.

Thoughts?

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
I've shaved my armpits before and it caused my sweat to drip down the side of my body, it was pretty gross. Now I just trim it if it gets out of control.

I'd love to laser my chest and back hair though, I have way too much of it.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I've shaved my armpits before and it caused my sweat to drip down the side of my body, it was pretty gross. Now I just trim it if it gets out of control.

I'd love to laser my chest and back hair though, I have way too much of it.

That's what I was wondering about my arm pits. I can see where the hair there serves a purpose.. by my legs and back?

I wonder if they can 'thin' it out using a laser.. so that maybe my arm pits don't have as much hair.. ie.. laser every other hair so they get rid of half of it and I still have some it's just not so bushy.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
You asked what purpose it serves. My question to you is, what problem does it cause?

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
Agreed that it's annoying. I'd say the only benefit to a lot of body hair is that it helps your body retain heat more in colder weather. Not sure if that's relevant where you are.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
Emasculated men think it's icky and gross.

It's not fun having to shampoo your whole body to be somewhat clean.

By default the laser removal will thin the growth. It only destroys hair follicles that are in the growth phase and you need to go multiple times to get to the maximum amount of reduction. It's not good that your hair is blonde by the way. The normal laser only works on dark hair. There's special ones that'll work on lighter hair and or darker skin, but they're not as effective as the normal one is for fair skin/dark hair. If you got a consultation they should have went over this stuff with you.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
Some body hair serves the purpose of retaining your body's unique smells. So if you've ever had a woman tell you she likes the way you smell (not talking cologne or any of that stuff, but your musk) you may be giving up some of your ability to have the ladies remember you. Smell is a very powerful sense that not a lot of people even realize is effecting them.

I know my fiance loves to wear shirts that I've worn becuase she tells me they smell good.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
That laser hair removal has got to be expensive, particularly if you're going to do it over your entire body. Try Nair for Men, instead. It doesn't last as long, obviously, but it works.

Mar 22, 2002
Hair tends to grow where the body is hottest. It helps increase the surface area and maximize use of the sweat to keep the body temperature from rising under exercise conditions, during hot weather, etc.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
That laser hair removal has got to be expensive, particularly if you're going to do it over your entire body. Try Nair for Men, instead. It doesn't last as long, obviously, but it works.

you don't want to nair your ass though.. then it comes back stubbly, and the friction, itching, etc.. it's not fun.

HomerX

Mar 2, 2010
a relatively new study suggests that an important role of body hair is/was to detect insects much faster...

Btw i am shaving my arm pits every 2-3 days an i have no problem with dripping sweat...

Status
Not open for further replies.