Bobby Bowden says he was fired and didn't willingly resign...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SearchMaster

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2002
Bobby had been claiming he would coach "one more year" many, many times over the years. He had made comments throughout last year that he wasn't sure if he was coming back or not, his sons had said he was NOT going to ever retire, and he had begun an effort to raise money to buy out Jimbo Fisher's contract (who had been named Head Coach In Waiting). In addition, while he was in on the initial discussions that led to Fisher being named HCIW, he later said he never agreed to that and it was FSU's problem to pay him out if he (Bowden) decided to stay past 2010.

Not to mention the behind-the-scenes issues alluded to by Genx87. Mickey Andrews had tried to resign every year since his son's suicide, but Bowden would beg him to stay because he didn't want to lose control of the hiring process....and wanted Amato to take over this year (2010). Obviously Fisher needed to get "his guy" in as soon as possible (plus, as said, he hated Amato).

I love Bobby Bowden, I think he is(was) a great coach and an even better man. I've met him several times and I hated how things ended at FSU. However, he could have made it easier on everyone but chose to fight the inevitable. And I don't believe for one second that he would have willingly left after this year, the battle would have just been extended to the end of this year.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Hey Bowden, since when was the last time your team a contender? Yup, just what we thought. Stop whining like a soft pu**y that you and your team had became.

I still remember Miami vs. FSU game was something to looking forward way back when.

In all sports, especially big time college football programs, if you don't win championships ==> you are out/fired/resign/push out/whatever/etc.

Last edited: