Bobby Bowden says he was fired and didn't willingly resign...

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Updated with Wetherell's response below (Post 24)

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5493285

NEW YORK -- Bobby Bowden says he had always had a good relationship with former Florida State president T.K. Wetherell, but after Bowden's ouster last season, the friendship likely is beyond repair.

Bowden, who embarked on a nationwide tour Tuesday to promote his new book, "Called to Coach: Reflections on Life, Faith and Football," told The Associated Press he also doesn't want Florida State, where he was the head coach for 34 years, to "spread the story that I voluntarily, happily resigned."

The men's connection began 47 years ago, when Wetherell was a wide receiver under Bowden, his position coach at Florida State.

But after Wetherell, who became the university's president in 2003 and stepped down in 2009, forced Bowden out last season, the friendship appears substantially damaged.

Bowden, 80, told the AP Tuesday: "I doubt I'll have a relationship with T.K. anymore."

In an interview with The Sporting News, which will be published Monday, Bowden said, "I never thought [Wetherell] would ever do to me what he did. I'm disappointed, but it's not like I'm going to cut my wrists."

Wetherell on Monday told the Palm Beach Post that he still considered Bowden a friend, but acknowledged the relationship is "strained."

"That's the business he is in and that's the business I was in," Wetherell said, according to the Post. "I would love to have the opportunity at some point to reconnect, play golf, have a barbecue. I think it's going to take some time to get there from his perspective."

Bowden announced his retirement -- in what was more of a forced resignation -- Dec. 1 last year, an unceremonious end to his tenure with the Seminoles, which included two national titles, 33 straight winning seasons and a 14-year run of top-five seasons that ended in 2000. The Seminoles were 7-6 last season.

Jimbo Fisher, the offensive coordinator and designated coach-in-waiting, took over after the Gator Bowl, Bowden's final game.

Bowden had been pushing defensive coordinator Mickey Andrews to succeed him, but was told that would never happen.

What triggered the eventual push out the door was the fact Florida State went 38-28 in his last five seasons, and the board of trustees and Wetherell believed it was time for a change.

Bowden, who had asked to coach one last season, told the AP that Wetherell presented him with two alternatives.

"Number one, you can stay as ambassador coach. I don't think I've ever heard of an ambassador coach in my life. I said, 'Well, what is an ambassador coach?'

"He said, 'Well, you can remain the head coach but you can't coach out on the field.' Now how can I be the head coach of this team if I can't go out on the field? So I said, 'Well that's out.'

"So I said, 'What's the next alternative?' The next alternative, we ain't going to renew your contract," Bowden said with a big laugh. "Does that sound like I resigned?"

While I was never a fan of FSU or Bowden, that sounds like a crappy way for a college football legend to go out. Can you imagine say, Penn State, doing the same thing to Jopa because he's mediocre now? Bowden should have been given the option to retire on his own terms after what he did for that school. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Bog money to be had or lost. Colleges aren't going to sacrifices millions and millions of dollars due to somebody being a "legend".

Jopa is nothing but a figurehead at this point. You really think he is calling the shots and running practices? No. I'm guessing Bowden simply didn't want to take a backseat to anyone and FSU had no choice. And per the article/Bowden's explanation that is exactly what happened. His arrogance and ignorance caused him to be fire. He was ineffective.

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Bobby would have never willingly retired.

I tend to agree. I think they gave him quite a few years to gracefully exit and he kept pushing it until they were forced to force him out. It wasn't a rash decision made on one season of let downs.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5493285

While I was never a fan of FSU or Bowden, that sounds like a crappy way for a college football legend to go out. Can you imagine say, Penn State, doing the same thing to Jopa because he's mediocre now? Bowden should have been given the option to retire on his own terms after what he did for that school. Thoughts?

There is more to the story. There were basically two coaching staffs within the program. Bowden, Mickey Andrews, and Amato. The rest were with Jimbo. Jimbo the head coach in waiting wanted input on Mickey's replacement since he would be the head coach in the 2011 season regardless if Bowden came back in 2010. And it should be noted Mickey lost his desire after his kid killed himself in 2007. He was set to retire earlier but Jimbo wanted him to stay due to Amato taking his place if he left. But Bowden refused and wanted to promote Amato. Amato and Jimbo did not get a long at all. And Amato was fucking up the recruiting trail by promising players who shouldnt sniff the field at FSU scholarships.

The whole thing was Bobby's doing in the end. I love the man but he simply lost his way about 10 years ago when he hired Jeff as his OC and wouldnt let go. A lot of malaize in the program as well the last 10 years. Bobby could had helped himself by not trying to appoint Amato for a single year as Andrew's replacement. But he didnt. He could have stayed one last year and gone out in dignity. Instead he went out looking like a giant baby.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
I tend to agree. I think they gave him quite a few years to gracefully exit and he kept pushing it until they were forced to force him out. It wasn't a rash decision made on one season of let downs.

Um, his last two seasons were 9-4 and 7-6 with both years going to bowl games... not exactly "let downs". Like Genx87 said, it was definitely way more political than anything.

I'd love to see Bowden go to another program and win just to stick it to FSU but he's probably too old. There is Jopa, Bowden, Bear Bryant and everyone else. Anyone who has more wins than Bear Bryant with roughly the same winning percentage (76 vs 74) is someone special.

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
It's both of their faults. Bowden should have retired sooner once his teams started sucking. The school should have found a way to be less obvious about pushing him out the door.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Um, his last two seasons were 9-4 and 7-6 with both years going to bowl games... not exactly "let downs". Like Genx87 said, it was definitely way more political than anything.

I'd love to see Bowden go to another program and win just to stick it to FSU but he's probably too old. There is Jopa, Bowden, Bear Bryant and everyone else. Anyone who has more wins than Bear Bryant with roughly the same winning percentage (76 vs 74) is someone special.

I wouldnt say it is political as much as the program needed to have Fisher make the call on who is going to be the replacement for Andrews. Bobby meddled enough and his guys, especially amato, were dividing the team. The university's board finally had to put its foot down and make it clear to incoming recruits Fisher was their guy. FSU had a real problem recruiting due to these issues. It isnt like they dont have in state competition or anything with FLorida, Miami, and even USF.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Going to a bowl game, especially when you are a decently named school, isn't that big of a deal anymore. There's so many freaking bowls now, you have to A) Have a winning record B) have a decent fan base that will travel and you will get into SOME bowl.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
As a die hard Penn Stater, JoePa better look at this as an example of when it is good to get out and not stay if/when he is no longer wanted.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Going to a bowl game, especially when you are a decently named school, isn't that big of a deal anymore. There's so many freaking bowls now, you have to A) Have a winning record B) have a decent fan base that will travel and you will get into SOME bowl.

You realize that Bowden's only losing year at Florida State was his first in 1976? He's been winning since most of you were born...

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
You realize that Bowden's only losing year at Florida State was his first in 1976? He's been winning since most of you were born...

I was born before 76 thank you very much.
I didn't comment on his record... I commented on the "both years going to bowl games" That prett much means nothing nowadays for a big named school.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
I was born before 76 thank you very much.
I didn't comment on his record... I commented on the "both years going to bowl games" That prett much means nothing nowadays for a big named school.

Finishing 9-4 is a pretty dam good year (esp losing OOC to National champs Florida) and they won the ACC as recently as 2005. Florida State fans must be spoiled little babies, most schools would love to go 9-4 let alone win their conference in the past 5 years. Like I said, not a huge fan of Bowden but it's ridiculous to think that he's going to win the ACC every single year out of 12 teams.

SearchMaster

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2002
Finishing 9-4 is a pretty dam good year (esp losing OOC to National champs Florida) and they won the ACC as recently as 2005. Florida State fans must be spoiled little babies, most schools would love to go 9-4 let alone win their conference in the past 5 years. Like I said, not a huge fan of Bowden but it's ridiculous to think that he's going to win the ACC every single year out of 12 teams.

As I recall, you're a Mountaineer fan...where Bowden was hung in effigy and left after a 9-3 record and 42-26 record overall. I can understand where people feel sorry for an older man who built a program being pushed out the door but you're not seeing the bigger picture and how much risk Bowden's own actions were putting the program in.

moparacer

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2003
As a die hard Penn Stater, JoePa better look at this as an example of when it is good to get out and not stay if/when he is no longer wanted.

As a die hard PSU fan also I feel something similar to this is brewing in Happy Valley.

Joe needs to come out and say 201_ is IT.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
yes he does, it will be sad when he does. I still feel hes way classier than bowden

bowden made his bed and is now sleeping in it. FSU is no where near the team, it was 10, or even 5 years ago.

even in IL in the 90's you saw FSU stuff EVERYWHERE, not anymore!

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
As a die hard PSU fan also I feel something similar to this is brewing in Happy Valley.

Joe needs to come out and say 201_ is IT.

I thought the same thing back when we were having back to back to back losing seasons, but realistically, Joepa has already stepped down.

He did what Bowden refused to do (turn over the reigns). I don't think the situation is the same for PSU and FSU.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000

WTF... can you not see I am commenting STRICTLY on the "defense" of saying they went to bowl games? That's it... not Ws or Ls. Not where they finished in the coference etc etc. Just the fact that "Bowl Games" don't mean squat for the most part.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Bobby would have never willingly retired.

and if he lost his coaching touch... time to get rid of him. Happened to Phil Fulmer at Tennessee... the SEC evolved and he didn't. He got fired. Someone was tired of lackluster records and felt it was best... regardless of what he did to the program or what type of person he was. It was a business decision. Not the best way to handle it... but it happens.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
WTF... can you not see I am commenting STRICTLY on the "defense" of saying they went to bowl games? That's it... not Ws or Ls. Not where they finished in the coference etc etc. Just the fact that "Bowl Games" don't mean squat for the most part.

Thanks Captain Obvious. And I was expounding upon the fact that FSU really didn't have bad seasons (regardless of bowls they made) and that some FSU fans are spoiled brats who think they should win the ACC every year.

If Bowden really was hurting their recruiting then FSU should have had enough balls to tell that to him and have him address it with Amato instead of just canning him. It also sounds like it was personal with Wetherell so he wasn't going to play fair regardless of the situation which is why there is still bad blood. Ambassador Coach? Are you serious? That's a big slight, especially if Bowden thought he would be coach for another year.

Wetherell finally responded this morning:
“There were basically two options and neither were going to come out good. The whole idea of an Ambassador Coach made no sense to me or him when we talked through it but I told some of the Board of Trustees and Boosters I would present it—but was not committed to it and didn’t think Bowden would want it either. To his credit, he dismissed all variations of it right off the bat.

“That left option 2 — not renewing his contract. It is not all that complex—just that simple. Option 3 of one more year or 400 wins (which probably would mean 2 more years) would not have moved the program forward and hindered the Presidential search that I knew was coming so Bobby chose to announce his retirement. End of story — end of friendship.

“I suppose the question that needs to be asked/answered is FSU’s football program better off today because of that action? It will take a while to get that answer. I hope they will win some games this year—challenge for the State Championship, ACC Championship and maybe in time a National Championship. I hope the enthusiasm will return to the program and I hope Coach Bowden will come back to FSU in time and accept the rewards he deserves as a true Seminole and college football icon. Time will tell.”

I'm a little confused as to how "one more year" of Bowden coaching would "hinder the Presidential search". Wetherell has to be full of sht, basically he wanted Bowden out because he knew the new President wouldn't have any power over Bowden after he was gone. 1 more year of coaching a mediocre team is nothing after he provided 33 straight winning seasons. It was definitely personal, a real man would have sat down with coach and hammered it out instead of giving stupid ultimatums like "Take Ambassador Coach or resign" and not be offered Option 3 (finish out the last year) which was promised him. You can't tell me if you were a living legend you wouldn't think that's disrespectful.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
There is more to the story. There were basically two coaching staffs within the program. Bowden, Mickey Andrews, and Amato. The rest were with Jimbo. Jimbo the head coach in waiting wanted input on Mickey's replacement since he would be the head coach in the 2011 season regardless if Bowden came back in 2010. And it should be noted Mickey lost his desire after his kid killed himself in 2007. He was set to retire earlier but Jimbo wanted him to stay due to Amato taking his place if he left. But Bowden refused and wanted to promote Amato. Amato and Jimbo did not get a long at all. And Amato was fucking up the recruiting trail by promising players who shouldnt sniff the field at FSU scholarships.

The whole thing was Bobby's doing in the end. I love the man but he simply lost his way about 10 years ago when he hired Jeff as his OC and wouldnt let go. A lot of malaize in the program as well the last 10 years. Bobby could had helped himself by not trying to appoint Amato for a single year as Andrew's replacement. But he didnt. He could have stayed one last year and gone out in dignity. Instead he went out looking like a giant baby.

Sums it up pretty well. Bobby hiring Jeff was a huge mistake, and it should have never been allowed. Not firing Jeff was an even larger mistake. The boosters had to basically bribe Jeff to get him to leave, even though his contract was already going to expire anyway.

I've got a lot of respect for Bobby Bowden, but just because he built the program doesn't mean he should be allowed to destroy it.