Question Bluetooth audio with headset possible on Asus Z390 Hero XI?

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
Is it possible to use a wireless BT headset with the Asus Z390 Hero XI? I have the Bose QC35 headset and the 2.5mm jack is hopeless, I'm on my 3rd cable and they just keep falling out. So I'm wondering if its possible to just use BT audio from my motherboard.

I've tried searching for BT devices in the "Bluetooth & other devices" menu in Windows 10 control panel but it doesn't find anything (the headset is in pairing mode). My regular audio device is the common Realtek audio, and there's also Nvidia audio from my 2080Ti which I'm not using for anything AFAIK.

I have the latest Intel bluetooth driver (tried various versions, official, beta, WHQL). The entry in Device Manager under Bluetooth is: "Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R)". There's also a few others, "Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI)", "Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator", and "Microsoft Bluetooth LE Enumerator".

Is this even possible? Or might I be doing something wrong?

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Does your board have Wifi? If it does, then it has bluetooth 5.0.
Bluetooth settings are in the start menu under settings, then go to bluetooth & other devices. Then you hit add bluetooth or other devices.

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
You also have to put your headphones into "pair mode". You'll have to look at your particular model, but all my headphones I have to hold down the on button for 10 seconds. You then would search for the device in Windows settings / devices.

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
Turns out the antenna was not connected! It had me fooled since I could spot the Wifi networks but the BT only turned up one "unknown device", seems it is completely useless without the physical antenna. I repeated the suggested steps so many times I thought I was going crazy until it clicked based on the wifi mention. I guess if Windows had a "bad connection" warning on BT I could have been saved the trouble... well, lesson learned I guess. Thanks for the suggestions!

Reactions: Muadib