Blue ray

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
I would get the Lite-on one for around $140. The difference is nill except price.

You have to use a codec to upconvert standard DVDs with PC one, I think its ACfilter if im not mistaken, forget off hand.

themisfit610

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2006
Okay a little lesson:

The optical drive has _absolutely_ nothing to do with the image quality of your videos.

The software you use to play video, on the other hand, has EVERYTHING to do with image quality.

If you're playing BluRay / HD-DVD, the only way to do so in real-time is with PowerDVD or WinDVD. They're awful pieces of software (slow, bloated, expensive, annoying), but do a decent job, provided you can get its RGB conversion working properly.

If you're playing DVDs, there's lots of good options. Media Player Classic (Home Cinema) with ffdshow-tryouts has the capability to "upconvert" (I use that term loosely because it can be as simple as stretching video to fill your screen, or something much more complicated) very nicely. Using a sharp resize filter, adding a bit of sharpening, and adding a tiny bit of HD grain will give most movies a nice look.

~MiSfit

Aberforth

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2006
Originally posted by: jadbox1
Would i get the same picture Quality with this http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16827136137 as this http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16882676111 ??
also do you know if the burner for computer upconverts reg dvds?

Yes, but make sure you have a proper codec. I recommend installing Vista codec Pack + 64bit plugins ( http://shark007.net/) if you have vista 64. Anyway here's a screenshot taken from my notebook using Windows Media Player 64: http://img521.imageshack.us/im.../161/dzxfhbdxfbpq3.jpg

btw I am thinking of buying that LG drive too, it should have no problems.

Edit: Also PowerDVD has built in bluray support so no need to install additional plugins.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
jadbox1, don't get a blu-ray BURNER, just get a bluray reader. You can save $100+ dollars difference. blu-ray burning is still in infancy, expect it to jump leaps and bounds within the year.

This is the one I got. http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16827106225

It plays wonderfully every movie I used.

DO NOT do what above poster said, just get ffdshow, it will upconvert normal DVD by itself in media player classic.

Aberforth

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2006
jadbox1, do not do what every cheapskate tells you, you'll end up spending more money than you realize.

Aberforth

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2006
i dont care about money what is right way to do it

Just get that LG drive, it will work fine as long as you have a decent processor and a video card.

Also You can back up upto 50 gigs on a dual layer disc.

jadbox1

Jun 22, 2004
ok i have another question im using a 32" lcd TV for my second monitor and it doesnt use the whole screen. it is blacked out about a half inch all the way around. anyway to to get rid of it

Aberforth

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2006
ok i have another question im using a 32" lcd TV for my second monitor and it doesnt use the whole screen. it is blacked out about a half inch all the way around. anyway to to get rid of it

What's the resolution? While watching videos you can stretch the videos by a bit (with PowerDVD) so that it covers the black area.

jadbox1

Jun 22, 2004
its ok when watching movies and it doesnt really bother me too much. it is my desktop and when im gaming it doesnt fill up. the res is 1768 by 992

Aberforth

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2006
Your display drivers will probably have options to set custom resolution or screen scaling.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
Spending more money then he relies? So let me get this straight.. he saves a hundred or so dollars..and what exactly is the drawback?

Thats right..nothing.

BUrning a blu-ray disk 50gigs is still a LONG TIME. Not to mention they are expensive. Not to mention that current bluray burnable disks will NOT be backward compatible with next gen burning in less than a year time.

Its actually cheaper AND smarter to spend that hundred+ dollars on a 750gig hardrive to backup data to and get just the $135 blu-ray reader i mentioned.

Sorry to throw reason and logic into a internet thread..

themisfit610

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2006
Yes, but make sure you have a proper codec. I recommend installing Vista codec Pack + 64bit plugins ( http://shark007.net/) if you have vista 64. Anyway here's a screenshot taken from my notebook using Windows Media Player 64: http://img521.imageshack.us/im.../161/dzxfhbdxfbpq3.jpg
NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!

DO NOT USE CODEC PACKS! EVER!

I really cannot emphasize this enough.

ALL you need to play media is this:

Media Player Classic HC (the media player)
Haali Media Splitter (a splitter for MKV and TS files)
ffdshow-tryouts (the universal video decoder and post-processor)
CoreAVC (if you want to decode HD resolution / high bitrate H.264 on a slower processor)

Do not get the 64 bit versions! There is no speed advantage, and the 64 bit versions are not feature complete OR stable yet.

Codec packs are fail. They frequently cause problems. Stick to the basics.

I don't know if Windows Media Player will actually play BluRay discs. If so, it surely uses the Cyberlink codecs (assuming you have PowerDVD installed).

I also agree with skipping BluRay burning. It's definitely in its infancy, the discs are hideously expensive, and it's very slow. Get more hard drives to backup your BluRay discs. It's much cheaper in the long run.

Hell, build a cheap little NAS and throw it in the closet. 4TB is stupid cheap :) A lightweight linux distribution designed for NAS with ZFS gives you bulletproof storage.

~MiSfit

Aberforth

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2006
I've been using native 64bit plugins since Jan 2007 and anyone who says 64bit has no advantage is obviously unaware of it's advantages. Other than focus group members everyone else here is always coming forward to make economical suggestions to others having bought a dozen expensive goodies themselves.

It's like Live, learn and pass it on....

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
If you have a HTPC...

Get a Blu-ray reader for ~$150 and PowerDVD Ultra version 8 for $100.

If you don't....

Get a 40GB PS3 and the Bluetooth remote accessory. Grab Metal Gear Solid 4 while you're at it if you like tactical espionage thrillers :).

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
i dont care about money what is right way to do it

Sound would be a bigger concern imo as a standalone player may offer better options than current video/sound cards can on the PC like HD bitstream or 8ch LPCM over HDMI. If you have an HDMI receiver and HDTV a standalone player may provide a more streamlined and complete solution right now. ATI's 4-series does offer 8ch LPCM but right now video/sound cards are still pretty weak in terms of HDMI support.

themisfit610

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2006
Originally posted by: Aberforth
I've been using native 64bit plugins since Jan 2007 and anyone who says 64bit has no advantage is obviously unaware of it's advantages. Other than focus group members everyone else here is always coming forward to make economical suggestions to others having bought a dozen expensive goodies themselves.

It's like Live, learn and pass it on....

You aren't listening :)

64 bit video decoding is not mature. It works - sure - but it's not feature complete when compared with 32 bit. What happens if I want to run AviSynth scripts in real-time? AviSynth 64 bit doesn't work terribly well at all.

~MiSfit