Blue ray

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
imaheadcase and themisfit got the gist of it, everyone else has been giving you bad info.
I am willing to brave 64bit playback myself, and it works gloriously (except for the few things in which it doesn't, where I use 32bit)...

Anyways:
1. Blue ray burner? whyfore? as imaheadcase said, they cost 240$ compared to 120$ for a reader and it is not like you are going to BURN your own blu-ray disks as of yet. Get a 750GB drive instead, and a blu ray burner in a year for 50$. (and compatible with future BD writing format).
2. Drive has absolutely nothing to do with your video quality.
3. I see that you originally linked a standalone player, if you are considering a player (one that connects to the TV directly, not a part of a PC), then each player has its own feature capability and display quality. In which case I wouldn't recommend any standalone player other then the PS3. The PS3 is the best blu-ray player on the market, that also happens to play games on occasion.
4. Codec packs are epic fails as themisfit said. FFDShow tryouts is not a codec pack, it is a FFD pack (decoders only). I'll spare you the technical details, but basically get Media Player Classic Home Cinema (the non home cinema version is outdated), and get FFDshow Tryouts (the non tryouts version is outdated).
if you have a 64bit CPU, and a 64bit OS, you can also get a 64bit media player (windows media player 64bit comes with the OS, and Media player classic hone cinema also has a 64bit version), and then use 64bit decoders for it, like FFDshow tryouts.

What doesn't play in 64bit versions of the media players, should play in the 32bit.