[Bloomberg] Apple starting process to dump Intel in Macs

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
There is ZERO indication that Apple will move to ARM CPUs for their desktop lineup.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
https://developer.apple.com/macos/whats-new/

Apple is depreciating OpenGL in the next version of macOS, which means the only supported Graphics API will be Metal. I imagine it helps with the ARM transition but it does show how little they care about backwards compatibility.

At least the Molten project exists, so you can run Vulkan code on top of Metal. Still damn annoying that Apple are ditching an industry standard for proprietary BS.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Also Apple confirmed that Mojave is the last version of macOS that will run 32-bit apps.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
At least the Molten project exists, so you can run Vulkan code on top of Metal. Still damn annoying that Apple are ditching an industry standard for proprietary BS.

I would hate to have to keep an ancient machine around to run old software. What happens when that machine inevitably fails?

It's interesting why its much harder to drop legacy compatibility on the PC. The two quotes show the differences in mentality between the two ecosystems.

Apple Macs, have always been a small part of the market, and has done such drastic transitions few times before. That makes it easier to move away. Their products were always aimed at the premium end of the market and in some ways was more about capturing minds. In that light, I think its not surprising when technology advanced enough to put a powerful, multi-functional computing device in a phone form factor Apple succeeded immensely with it. Laptops and Desktops were and never to be their forte.

x86 was not only much bigger, but they gained/kept their marketshare on compatibility with hundreds of millions of applications built over a few decades. PC market has been commoditized over the years and purchases a little more practical and logical. That makes breaking compatibility an even bigger deal.

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
Not quite. Apple is more like forcing everyone to use their proprietary junk. Without alternatives.
Microsoft used OpenGL, until they pushed people to their proprietary junk DirectX. ;-)

OpenGL as a platform has been stagnating for a long time now. sad to see it go, but it has been stuck in the mud for years.

Reactions: Arachnotronic

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
Microsoft used OpenGL, until they pushed people to their proprietary junk DirectX. ;-)

OpenGL as a platform has been stagnating for a long time now. sad to see it go, but it has been stuck in the mud for years.
That is why they moved to Vulkan and ditched Open GL.

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
What can you expect?

A12D -> 8 HP cores, 8 EE cores, No iGPU, 56G-112G Gen-Z 1C(Mobile)-2C(Desktop).
GPU -> Custom versions of 7nm Vega, Big Navi, Little Navi from AMD.

A12D or whatever it will be called will be after A12X, particularly 2H 2019. (In time for the new Mac Pros)

Last edited:

ksec

Mar 5, 2010
What about Metal is junk?

Exactly. On Windows , only the GPU vendors continue to ship with it and Microsoft is perfectly fine with that.

There are lots of deprecated library in macOS that continue to be shipped years after it was announced.

And no, Vulkan is not OpenGL replacement. At least not at its current states.

I would have been pissed if OpenGL was still technically superior, but it is not. And hasn't been so for many many years. The progression of OpenGL and Khronos Group are just a bag of hurt. And in case you think Khronos Group did a good job of Vulkan, nope it was AMD with Mantle.

Reactions: TARS and dark zero

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
What can you expect?

A12D -> 8 HP cores, 8 EE cores, No iGPU, 56G-112G Gen-Z 1C(Mobile)-2C(Desktop).
GPU -> Custom versions of 7nm Vega, Big Navi, Little Navi from AMD.

A12D or whatever it will be called will be after A12X, particularly 2H 2019. (In time for the new Mac Pros)
Woot. That would be a gamebreaker for Intel since ARM would be fully alone in this.

Wondering if Apple will put it on a Phone.

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
Why no macs with 2600 or at least ~2400g?
Apple is going "x86-killer" mode.

Apple A12/A12X -> Standard Vortex core with ARMv8.x-A ISA.
Apple A12D -> Vortex Plus core with pseudo-ARMv9.x-A ISA.

ARMv9.0 kills x86/x86-64 and all planned extensions to x86 after it. There is no reason to go x86 when ARMv9.0 is available. ARMv9.x and ARMv8.x are big.Little at the ISA level anyway, so no incompatibility of using both.

Apple kicks off the end times.

Last edited:

ksec

Mar 5, 2010
Apple has never really shown interest in AMD CPUs. Though I would love to see Raven Ridge in the overdue Mac Mini.

I could never understand why. They get Radeon Graphics which is what they want. And a decent CPU. May be for Zen 2 with 7nm and improved IPC.

Edit: Arh. I forgot the real reason. Thunderbolt. Which should be solved soon as Intel promised to opens it up... and hasn't done so yet.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Edit: Arh. I forgot the real reason. Thunderbolt. Which should be solved soon as Intel promised to opens it up... and hasn't done so yet.
The promise is that they'll make Thunderbolt royalty free this year. Will that mean TB controllers will be available from companies other than Intel though?

ksec

Mar 5, 2010
The promise is that they'll make Thunderbolt royalty free this year. Will that mean TB controllers will be available from companies other than Intel though?

In theory yes. In practice opening up the spec doesn't equal to opening up other things. For they may still charge you for using the Thunderbolt name or something silly like that.

They said they will have more details in 2018, well it is half way 2018 now.....

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Yeah, all I saw so far is "royalty free" which still didn't happen as you said. And all the reports of it I saw were combining it with Intel's announcement, that they would include the controller in the processor in the future, which is like the opposite of what we are waiting for (possibility of AMD and ARM based systems to integrate the tech). Intel likely has more issues now than back when they announced this as well.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
IMHO simply for the mac line sales are too low to justify custom chips unless they greatly reduce the lineup so that 2 chips/socs are enough but that would kill any mac pro type thing. and even then mac sales are tiny compared to iphone but I guess they would save a ton on the software side to make it worth it.

naukkis

Jun 5, 2002
As ARM perf/watt starts to be twice of x86 it's only matter of time when all notebooks has to be ported to ARM or lose on all perf/battery time/size metrics. And as laptops have to be ported desktops will naturally switch too. And thats not only MAC side, Windows-systems needs that transformation also or everybody switch to MAC/arm-based Chromebooks. Dekstops won't survive alone and sure Apple and Microsoft knows that, and pretty sure that Intel has acknowledged that too.