Blood tests

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Welp, got some results. I didn't fast (ate a midnight dinner of butter and glutinuous rice flour pancakes. Also an egg, and one lean beef patty(grass fed) at dinner, so I have a hunch I spiked my cholesterol(the high HDL seems to suggest that).

1636588257515.png
1636588336661.png
1636588513496.png
A1c came out to 5.3%, which is exactly the same as it was 2.5 years ago and I drank Core Power and other stuff.
BUN is up from two years ago, where it hovered 13-15.

This is not a good indication of faux keto "dental preservation diet" I've trying to subscribe to because I've been eating a pizza(made from store dough) or equivalent starch bomb every day for the past two weeks or so for the sole sake of clearing out the fridge and pantry so my mom doesn't have to(her liver panel actually has concerning numbers). I've also gained a little weight, from 54.1kg to 55.9kg.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Labs look fine, lipids look like a relative fasting sample honestly. You probably don't need to fast for cholesterol levels anyway.

That'll be.. I dunno, a hundred bucks?

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I am on Crestor and now my LDL barely registers. My cholesterol doubled after surgery.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Based on my intake and synthesis of information, I consider cholesterol a valuable nutrient in and of itself, and homeostatically regulated tightly by the body. As far heart attack goes, it's a lesser concern based on my family history. If family history is anything, some sort of cancer or dental issue will end me. Even if I were at risk, I'd focus on not inflaming the blood vessels in the first place with a bare-minimum carb diet, reeling in all the antioxidant micros, and reduce factors that increase oxidative stress in the blood vessels. .

LDL is a lipoprotein that allows cholesterol to be transported through the blood since water and oils don't mix.

I find resources like Dr. Ford Brewer's youtube channel to be useful in understanding with greater detail what goes on in plaque development. The following was a random suggestion via Youtube and the first video I watched.

Thankfully, I have a repulsive reaction to vegetable oils. Hate the smell, hate the taste, leaves behind a headache.

While I do not have to worry about statins, mom's bloodwork came out with high numbers in liver enzymes and the lipid panel, and thus the doc has suggested statins. I have no interest in going down that route since too much is essentially nutrient deprivation.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Went plant based on 1/1/2017 and I'm now 50. I was 49 when I had the last blood test. My blood pressure has also dropped which was good considering my diastolic had been 90 for years. Both of my parents have heart issues and diabetes. I didn't want to go down that road or take any more meds than I do currently so I made a change.

BloodBeforeAfter.jpg

BloodAfter.jpg

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Went plant based on 1/1/2017 and I'm now 50. I was 49 when I had the last blood test. My blood pressure has also dropped which was good considering my diastolic had been 90 for years. Both of my parents have heart issues and diabetes. I didn't want to go down that road or take any more meds than I do currently so I made a change.

View attachment 52800

View attachment 52801
Looks really good for the goals you're aiming for.
Those triglycerides are very low. Do you have the past numbers for that as well?
I've come across content saying that triglyceride/HDL ratio is a stronger predictor of heart attack risk.
Also very interesting is that you have a naturally high amount of HDL.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Here are my latest results from my last physical; been pretty consistent for at least the last few years (36 years old). I cook all meals for myself, and I can't remember the last time I had fast food. Other than that, I limit red meat to two days per week, but I eat whatever I want. :)

1636901083391.png

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Looks really good for the goals you're aiming for.
Those triglycerides are very low. Do you have the past numbers for that as well?
I've come across content saying that triglyceride/HDL ratio is a stronger predictor of heart attack risk.
Also very interesting is that you have a naturally high amount of HDL.
I could only find the one set of complete results. When my doctor went over one of the older results he said I had super woman level good cholesterol. I think that was in 2014 and is part of the reason he tested again in 2015 if I remember correctly.

I see him again in two weeks and I'm sure he'll want to do blood work. I'm pretty sure the results will be worse since I've gotten in the habit of using a bit of olive oil and I'm fixing an iced coffee every night.

mike8675309

Jul 17, 2013
Welp, got some results. I didn't fast (ate a midnight dinner of butter and glutinuous rice flour pancakes. Also an egg, and one lean beef patty(grass fed) at dinner, so I have a hunch I spiked my cholesterol(the high HDL seems to suggest that).

Your numbers in general are good. Your LDL and cholesterol numbers are not ideal, and you could work on getting them down to reduce your risk of heart disease (people with your numbers die of heart disease every day) but you are in the area of lower risk (assuming your genetics don't put you at higher risk).

I had been eating primarily fruit and vegetables for 4 months prior to this test in 2015 and 47 yrs old
Cholesterol 168 mg/dL
Triglycerides 128mg/dL
HDL 41mg/dL
LDL (calculated) 101 mg/dL

2019 at 51 yrs old
Cholesterol 157 mg/dL
Trigglcerides 72 mg/dL
HDL 49 mg/dL
LDL (calculated) 94 mg/dL

My goal is LDL around 70mg/dL but I haven't really been working hard at it.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Somewhere on your test does it indicate Blood Type??
They usually don't include it in routine lab work. You have to ask for them to specifically test it.

One way to get it with no cost (besides transportation) is to donate blood, but you still have to ask the blood bank for the info.

Reactions: IGBT

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
They usually don't include it in routine lab work. You have to ask for them to specifically test it.

One way to get it with no cost (besides transportation) is to donate blood, but you still have to ask the blood bank for the info.
Quest told me the same thing...something so fundamental as blood type but not included in the standard blood test result..

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Quest told me the same thing...something so fundamental as blood type but not included in the standard blood test result..
It's not as though it changes, so it makes sense that they wouldn't include it in every result.

Reactions: IGBT
Jul 27, 2020

View attachment 52713
View attachment 52714
View attachment 52715
A1c came out to 5.3%, which is exactly the same as it was 2.5 years ago and I drank Core Power and other stuff.
BUN is up from two years ago, where it hovered 13-15.

This is not a good indication of faux keto "dental preservation diet" I've trying to subscribe to because I've been eating a pizza(made from store dough) or equivalent starch bomb every day for the past two weeks or so for the sole sake of clearing out the fridge and pantry so my mom doesn't have to(her liver panel actually has concerning numbers). I've also gained a little weight, from 54.1kg to 55.9kg.
Man, you seriously need to cut back on the protein. Your body has no need for more than 50g protein per day unless you are body building. Animal protein is the worst because it is harder on the kidneys due to more urea. If your target is to lower cholesterol and remove plaque from your arteries, go on a 15 day white rice diet, a pinch of salt per day and fresh fruits/veggies. No meat, no dairy. No upper limit on calories per day. Eat as much as you want to avoid being hungry. You can have a 20g scoop of plant based protein powder every other day to keep your muscle mass intact. You will notice that there is hardly any fat in this diet. The lack of dietary fat will force your body to seek out all stored fat, especially visceral fat (the worst kind) and that will help to rejuvenate your liver. After 15 days, you can return to whatever diet you prefer.

Word of warning: it's HARD. Be mentally prepared to deal with cravings and strengthen your will to stay on track and disciplined the entire 15 days. Good luck!

Reactions: mike8675309

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Man, you seriously need to cut back on the protein. Your body has no need for more than 50g protein per day unless you are body building. Animal protein is the worst because it is harder on the kidneys due to more urea. If your target is to lower cholesterol and remove plaque from your arteries, go on a 15 day white rice diet, a pinch of salt per day and fresh fruits/veggies. No meat, no dairy. No upper limit on calories per day. Eat as much as you want to avoid being hungry. You can have a 20g scoop of plant based protein powder every other day to keep your muscle mass intact. You will notice that there is hardly any fat in this diet. The lack of dietary fat will force your body to seek out all stored fat, especially visceral fat (the worst kind) and that will help to rejuvenate your liver. After 15 days, you can return to whatever diet you prefer.

Word of warning: it's HARD. Be mentally prepared to deal with cravings and strengthen your will to stay on track and disciplined the entire 15 days. Good luck!
I’ve come to have a very stable and consistent intake ovo- and pesce-based foods. I hate regular eggs but have an affinity for pasture raised ones.

I eat primarily for teeth health and less obvious risk factors. Teeth being bone, means I’m also addressing bone health. Thus, the days often starts with fat soluble vitamin foods. A can of sardines in EVOO or smoked herring(D3, omegas-3s). Then depending on appetite, one or two pasture raised eggs(K2 and a wide host of vitamins). I recently wanted to gain fat for cold insulation(from 118 to 126 from mid Oct to just this Thursday ), so I’ve eaten a starchy pancake or glutinous rice pancake cooked in grass fed butter after the fish and eggs. The pancake is cut into small swallowable pieces with a knife and fork.

I’ve also consumed peanuts or peanut butter as a vitamin E source.

I’ve eaten blackberries quite often.

The rest of what I eat is a generally variable revolving door of low sugar foods. Sometimes I’ll eat beans. Other times cheese, fatty red meat, cruciferous vegetables, onions, dark chocolate or sugar alcohol chocolate, cheese, etc.

I believe the body compensates when the protein intake is higher. I certainly poop with less frequency.

I’ll eat tofu before any powder. Combined with salted/fermented Chinese radish, such a meal can be actually satisfying to kill desire for meat for a day. My protein shake/powder chugging days are long gone.

Lol, white rice?
I’m Chinese. I’ve eaten a lot of white rice in my life The starches in white rice get cleaved by enzymes in the mouth and small intestine into glucose very efficiently. The difference between white rice and a glucose tablet, candy, white bread, is not great. The release of insulin is going to come along with white rice and certain sweeter fruits.

In order to metabolize fat, insulin alone needs to be kept out of the way because insulin signals cells to take in fats and glucose while also preventing the fat from being metabolized. The prevention of fat metabolism by insulin is caused by insulin inhibiting lipase.
The reason your method has cravings is precisely from the white rice triggering a hormonal response most conducive to snacking and repeat eating.

I will also point out even Nathan Pritikin gave a limited green light to eating fatty fish, although only a serving a day. I notmally can’t eat more than a can if it comes in EVOO anyway.

Jul 27, 2020
Check out OraMD for teeth health. For bone health, grapefruit and prunes help a lot, as they increase bone density. Another excellent way to increase bone density is onion shake (cut fresh onion into pieces, mix in water, blend, close your eyes and gulp it down as quickly as possible! Don't leave in the fridge. Onion needs to be consumed ASAP because the nutrients in it lose their effectiveness the more they are exposed to oxygen).

Please note that my suggestions are tried and true since I went through a lot of health crises. My height actually decreased 2 inches because my spine got bent due to weak bones (God saved me, through onion shakes). About 3 months later, my height was back to normal.

Regarding protein, your tests indicate some warning signs, especially Albumin and BUN. Your kidneys are getting stressed. Also, add some gum arabic powder to your shakes. They promote healthy bacteria that reduce uremic toxins in the intestine. This is of utmost importance, because the damn bad bacteria in the intestine "sense" whenever your kidneys are getting stressed so they start producing more uremic toxins in an attempt to get the kidneys to fail quicker so they can cross the intestinal barrier and decompose your body after you die from kidney failure.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I wouldn't be surprised if the fruits did help; there is some research indicating potential bone health boosting abilities for grapefruit and prunes. However, you might have been deficient in the vitamins like A, C, K2, or D to begin with, and some K1 can be converted to K2. I might add some intermittently, when berries are not on sale(berries are mighty expensive and I'm looking into planting my own). I would eat these fruits without an acid moderator afterwards though, like cheddar cheese.

As far as onions go, they would be going down the chute with the fattiest ground beef (27% fat) and sometimes pasta sauce.

As far as degree of effect though, I still think D3 and K2 play the more substantial role. K2 is an enzyme cofactor the directs bone to the proper locations like bone and stimulates osteoblasts.

The method Weston Price employed to improve teeth health was to mix cod liver oil with vitamins A and D with high quality butter. K2 was the "Activator X" he could not identify back then.

Jul 27, 2020
Onions inhibit the action of osteoclasts, thereby allowing the osteoblasts to do more building without the osteoclasts ruining their hard work. By the way, calcium is just one mineral making up the bone matrix. Boron, manganese etc. you need to get from veggies or bone broth. Plus, magnesium. Calcium wouldn't even be absorbed in the intestines without Mg. There was one study that indicated jumping from height of 4 feet also stimulates bone building.

Fun fact: female hormones work so that women build more bone being sedentary. Could be evolutionary since women stayed behind while the men were more active hunting for food.

Last edited:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Onions inhibit the action of osteoclasts, thereby allowing the osteoblasts to do more building without the osteoclasts ruining their hard work. By the way, calcium is just one mineral making up the bone matrix. Boron, manganese etc. you need to get from veggies or bone broth. Plus, magnesium. Calcium wouldn't even be absorbed in the intestines without Mg. There was one study that indicated jumping from height of 4 feet also stimulates bone building.

Fun fact: female hormones work so that women build more bone being sedentary. Could be evolutionary since women stayed behind while the men were more active hunting for food.
I do not see the point of making a shake out of onions when I can eat it in solid form with other foods.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
My vitamin D test came back with only 27ng/mL. This despite eating a 3.5 oz fish can and two eggs everyday for the most part, and some extra dairy on the side.

Lord knows what it was back when I got COVID. That was when I really didn't care about food and never had eaten fish or eggs for years, nor did I consistently drink milk or orange juice.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
A ton of people are Vitamin D deficient. Especially during the winter when they can't get sun or those who live in northern climates. I just take a 50mcg / 2000iu pill with breakfast daily. Not a big deal. Doctor suggested half the dose but this was on sale. I don't get sun and don't eat much if anything with Vitamin D although I just checked and it is in the plant based milk I drink.

FWIW I was taking a One a Day Men's multi-vitamin and it was not enough to get my D levels up to snuff.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I have plenty of room to eat more(some would say I am underweight), so I'll just start eating some densely nutritious wild caught salmon in a can to my routine foods. I don't really love salmon though, which was part of the reason I wound up trying sardines.

The reason I kept eating sardines was results, as the remnant brain fog from long COVID lifted from me the day after, so something in the fish food complex did something, although I don't think it was the vitamin D as I was drinking milk fairly often prior.

Rubenstein's red salmon has 29mcg per serving and I ate three whole can, so I got about 6000 IUs/145mcg into my belly.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Vitamin D in milk isn't naturally occurring in any meaningful amount. Milk is fortified with vitamin D so you may as well grab an inexpensive vitamin D pill to boost your D levels. There is no shame in taking a supplement of vitamin D especially since we all need the immune boost during covid and cold and flu season.

Eating fish might boost your levels but how much mercury is accumulating in your body?

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I blew some cash on some "advanced" tests. Results pending one some, got some back today.
It came with a lipid panel, which came back today. Apolipoprotein A1+B, Fractionation of cholesterol, oxLDL, Omega-3s and Omega-6 ratios are pending.

My triglycerides are 60. HDL down to 54.

HS CRP(C-reactive protein) less than 0.3; they say a good number is 1.0mg/dL or less is good, so I'm way in the clear in terms of general inflammation and I didn't get sick recently.

oxLDL cost $98 at ultalabtests. Brutal price, but the other places charge even more.

Allow me to make a shrine to dark chocolate, peanut butter, fatty fish. :p
I did eat plenty of fruits like oranges for a while. Didn't eat eggs.

In separate draw in a separate place, for free, my a1C results show a rise to 5.5%.