Blockbuster Game Freedom Pass $14.99. Unlimited Game Rental!

V00DOO

Diamond Member
Dec 2, 2000
I saw a flyer at Blockbuster for Unlimited Game Rental Freedom pass for $14.99 for the first month (regular price $19.99). New game freedom pass customer only. No committment require. You can rent up to 1 game at a time. No limit to how many games you can rent. Offer ends 11/03/03 so hurry.

Since I am an existing Game Freedom member I don't qualify. If you do decide to get the Freedom Pass, remember this notify Blockbuster a day or two in advance before you Freedom Pass expires that you don't wish to continue the game freedom pass or else they will automatic renew your subscription and charge you credit card.

dr150

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2003
This seems like a major problem.

Gamers can keep games in perpetuity until they finish it. It's illogical to assume Blockbuster to stock EVERY popular game to meet all renter demands.

I foresee a major backlog in good titles happening from prolonged rentals.

I wouldn't sign up because of this.

Pudgygiant

May 13, 2003
They get soooo many copies of the big games to rent out. It really isn't a problem unless you live in inner city NY where the population density is very high.

TheMacDadda

Jan 2, 2002
You need a credit card in order to sign up for this, just a FYI for some of the people who planned on using Cash/Debit. It doesn't actually charge the credit card (unless you want them too), they just use it for verification purposes apparently.

Jetblade

Banned
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: TheMacDadda
You need a credit card in order to sign up for this, just a FYI for some of the people who planned on using Cash/Debit. It doesn't actually charge the credit card (unless you want them too), they just use it for verification purposes apparently.

My debit card is a Visa. Think I can still use mine?

BUSTaMOD

Jun 5, 2003
Originally posted by: Jetblade

No has to be a credit card.

RaGe420

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2002
Originally posted by: BUSTaMOD

He can use his debit card since it has a visa symbol on it.

S13SilviaK

Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by: AngryPirate
I prefer Gamefly. It allows you to have two games out at once...crucial in my mind.

Gamefly

Except if you return games too frequently they will cancel your account.

I was returning games every 3-5 days, and they cancelled my account after 2 months.

I use Blockbusters Freedom pass an they have never questioned my usage once, I've even returned a game within a few hours because I realized that I relly didn't like the gameplay after it gave me a wicked headache.

JafCo

Mar 28, 2001
Originally posted by: RaGe420

Actually, the terms and conditions of the Game pass program at Blockbuster explicitly require that you affirm that the card you give them is a CREDIT, not a DEBIT card, precisely because of the monthly renewal.

Hummercash

May 1, 2002
Originally posted by: JafCo
Originally posted by: RaGe420

Actually, the terms and conditions of the Game pass program at Blockbuster explicitly require that you affirm that the card you give them is a CREDIT, not a DEBIT card, precisely because of the monthly renewal.
however, debit cards w/ the visa logo on it can in fact be used for credit purposes... my bank of america checking card had a $5000 credit limit, didn't matter how much money i had in my checking account. my uncle has the one w/ no limit... ::borrows it and buys m3:: ;)

.//chris

BlamoHammer

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: S13SilviaK
I prefer Gamefly. It allows you to have two games out at once...crucial in my mind.

Gamefly

Except if you return games too frequently they will cancel your account.

I was returning games every 3-5 days, and they cancelled my account after 2 months.

I use Blockbusters Freedom pass an they have never questioned my usage once, I've even returned a game within a few hours because I realized that I relly didn't like the gameplay after it gave me a wicked headache.

Wow, will have to wait and see if that happens to me. I would be interested to peruse their terms of service to see if there are any sort of provisions for that.

S13SilviaK

Jan 23, 2002

Wow, will have to wait and see if that happens to me. I would be interested to peruse their terms of service to see if there are any sort of provisions for that.

They have the typical vague "abuse" clause, I explained to them why I returned some games so often, they didn't care.

THRILLHOv

Jan 14, 2003
think they would care if i rented a game, went out to the car.... where i had a PS2 Plugged into an inverter with a mobile monitor, yeah thats it.... and returned it for another in like 20-30 minn? :-D

Marauder-

Platinum Member
Nov 29, 1999
I can attest to the huge backlog of games. I'm currently on it for $15/ first month but it's like they carry one MAYBE two of a good popular title and maybe a dozen of the not so great ones. I'm currently renting Xbox games and their selection is just limited to 3 shelves (not the wall shelves). And not to mention, they have like 10 copies of Vice City and 10 copies of GTA III - probably just a game or two of everything else. Probably around 3X titles to choose from. Pretty disappointing.

Marauder-

Platinum Member
Nov 29, 1999
Originally posted by: THRILLHOv
think they would care if i rented a game, went out to the car.... where i had a PS2 Plugged into an inverter with a mobile monitor, yeah thats it.... and returned it for another in like 20-30 minn? :-D

Probably not if you tell them that you just realized that you didn't want it or something. They probably didn't even think you reached home before making this decision.

But yeah, on their ad, it says, rent 1 game a day, rent 10 times during a day, it doesn't matter.
rolleye.gif

SirPappy

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2002
HOOOOLD UP!! I've been using gamefly for 6 months now, and i always return games the same day i recieve them(for the obviouse reasons ;) ) and I've never been canceled or even anything like that.

im thinking maby you were canceled cause someone wasnt paying there bill ;) lol :D

DOH!!!!

apollo92

Nov 29, 2002
you guys should check out www.triggerfingers.com

been using them for about 2 months so far and love them. Great customer service and their selection is pretty good too.

$15/mo for 2 games, $20/mo for 3 and so on.

I've requested 3 games to be added to their selection since I've been a member and they added all of them within a week. If you sign up i wouldnt mind the referral either :)

The only downside I've experienced with this service is the amount of time it takes to get games since I'm pretty sure they are in Colorado and i'm in Illinois, they take about 4 days on average for mailing. Other than that, no other problems.

username is juan for referrals

KidViciou$

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
i have govojo, but the disc quality of their games are very poor. at least 80% of the games i get are unplayable

Adam8281

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
I've gotta say, the Blockbuster Freedom Pass is one of the greatest deals ever (especially if you have an XBOX with a mod chip :D). And by the way, I used my DEBIT card for verification, because even though it is a debit card, it has the VISA logo, and they can treat it as if it was a credit card. Maybe different places do it differently, but with my Blockbuster it was no problem. I only did the pass for one month, but I think I'll do it again in January when some new games are out, and this time I'm going to do it at a really big Blockbuster so I can get better game selection.

Cleaner

Feb 11, 2002
I live in Columbus, OH, and the two blockbusters around me NEVER have any of the good games in stock. I'm patient and I check several times then I just get fed up with it and go buy it somewhere. I think my experiences are 'typical' for blockbuster game rental availability.