BLM: In light of everything we know today were their issues valid?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I'm asking especially for those people who complained about the concept of Black Lives Matter. Why such a group needs to exist and don't all lives matter?

I'll leave the question high level so other can fill in the blanks.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I'm asking especially for those people who complained about the concept of Black Lives Matter. Why such a group needs to exist and don't all lives matter?

I'll leave the question high level so other can fill in the blanks.
Wow, I had just thought about this with the current situation. When are people going to wake up to the sickness that cannot continue. It's got to be scary to be black. And no one should live in constant fear of the people who are supposed to protect you.

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
Saw a black comedian a couple of years ago (sorry I'm crap with names and I can't remember his) who was in front of a mostly white audience and he described it this way:

"We're not saying that black lives matter more, we're just saying that they matter AS WELL."

Mar 11, 2004
I wonder what the response would be to someone having the blacked out American flag license plate just all blacked out? Or it rainbow'ed out. Bet that'd piss off right wingers.

Makes me cringe how often I see the blue line version. I do like how firefighters, EMS, and others have co-opted it from them as well (although I'm guessing that's an attempt to white wash how "blue lives matter" was created specifically to downplay Black Lives Matter and them protesting police treatment of black people). Honestly I think most people get them just because they think it looks cool. I think its supposed to give some money to some fund, but I wouldn't be surprised if its mostly police groups profiting from it.

Last edited:

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
I talked with a co-worker today who is from the Caribbean. We live and work in a more conservative part of the country.
Since we started working from home, he's been taking his kids jogging in the morning.
That is until his wife told him how she was out jogging and someone tried running her over.

Now he won't take his kids running anymore, and he's not sure how to explain to them that some people don't like them because of the color of their skin. He doesn't want to introduce that concept to them so that they, too, don't fall into the trap of judging people so superficially. He wants his kids to be able to evaluate people on their actions and character.

He also talked about his experience growing up, which would put us in the 80s timeframe. His mother told him to never run from cops - always do what they say, be 1000% polite, never fight back, and don't do anything that could even be perceived in the slightest as escalating the situation.

• Wow
Reactions: Captante

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I talked with a co-worker today who is from the Caribbean. We live and work in a more conservative part of the country.
Since we started working from home, he's been taking his kids jogging in the morning.
That is until his wife told him how she was out jogging and someone tried running her over.

Now he won't take his kids running anymore, and he's not sure how to explain to them that some people don't like them because of the color of their skin. He doesn't want to introduce that concept to them so that they, too, don't fall into the trap of judging people so superficially. He wants his kids to be able to evaluate people on their actions and character.

He also talked about his experience growing up, which would put us in the 80s timeframe. His mother told him to never run from cops - always do what they say, be 1000% polite, never fight back, and don't do anything that could even be perceived in the slightest as escalating the situation.

This gives me a sad.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I never complained about the concept. I initially had an issue with the Michael Brown case kicking it off, because I didn't think the facts on the ground in that particular case supported the BLM narrative. But there's been a lot of cases since. And while I don't evaluate every case the same, I definitely see the pattern in them.

This last case with Floyd and that cop sitting on his neck? Jesus. I can't imagine what it must be like to fear the very people who are supposed to protect us.

FaaR

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2007
Any group that attempts to (and successfully did multiple times) block interstate highway traffic isn't going to get very far with anyone in the sympathy department.
Yeah, Bog forbid you get inconvenienced for a few minutes in your daily routine, instead of, you know, shot to death in the back while fleeing by a cop fearing for their life, shot in the chest for eating ice cream in your own home, strangled for selling loose cigarettes... (I could continue all night.)

I'm thinking you could perhaps do with an empathy booster shot, maybe it's time to contact your Doc and set up an appointment.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
No.
The kind of Americans who think black lives are less valuable have not changed their minds and never will. This includes people in positions of power like cops and politicians and judges.
If you want equal rights you have to really fight for it and get a law passed. Thats how the various causes of the 20th century actually made progress.
So far as I know the BLM movement never had a march on Washington, and the lesser movements in small cities across America (Feguson as an example) never got any real change.

Mar 11, 2004
Yeah, Bog forbid you get inconvenienced for a few minutes in your daily routine, instead of, you know, shot to death in the back while fleeing by a cop fearing for their life, shot in the chest for eating ice cream in your own home, strangled for selling loose cigarettes... (I could continue all night.)

I'm thinking you could perhaps do with an empathy booster shot, maybe it's time to contact your Doc and set up an appointment.

I don't think there's any that would be potent enough.

Not only was Black Lives Matter right, but Republican "All Lives Matter" and "Blue Lies Matter" were a lie exposed by COVID.
View attachment 21754

I just noticed...is that guy wearing a robe with a pot leaf on it?

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I was all for supporting BLM and ending police brutality, but then BLM killed cops in Dallas and a black quarterback disrespected the flag & troops, so I had to hate them and fight what they stood for. Sorry guys.

/s

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
You obviously weren`t meant to participate in this thread........find your rock and crawl back under it, PLEASE!!

well, the question really was meant for him; but as usual, day drinking has failed his cognitive center, much to our bemusement.

• Haha

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I don't think there's any that would be potent enough.

I just noticed...is that guy wearing a robe with a pot leaf on it?
The smoking of cannabis has absolutely no political attachments anymore that I can tell. Can't stand half the long haired dope smoking rednecks that are out there in droves anymore.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Yes. Their issues were just as valid then as they are now, and even before BLM was formed. This is why we were taught about Martin Luther King Jr. back in school, but lots of people have forgotten his lessons.

I feel like more people need to become knowledgeable about black culture (and racism). If it's easier to digest, go listen to some hip-hop like Common, 2-Pac, Gang Starr, or any of the numerous groups that rapped about their struggles, then branch out from there. Go watch Do the Right Thing. Or read some books/articles.

Maybe they will begin to understand "why". Why do blacks feel persecuted? Why do they riot when someone is killed by a cop, and that cop faces no real repercussions?

Why is this allowed to happen, in 2020?

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
What is sad is those fully armed Police feel they are protecting one of their own.......they are all complicit.....

Reactions: DarthKyrie