blizzard's hearthstone, more epic pay2win failure

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ashenor

Golden Member
May 9, 2012
Greetings from PAX demoed hearthstone for a half hour. Hugely underwhelmed with the announcement. the game too. Contained reminders and pointers even in the demo to use battle.net fundings to buy cards by showing what is for purchase. Outright mindless and boring. so looking forward to Blizzard booth here and get this pointless app. Off to try some of the great demos that are here fortunately.

Thanks for the feedback, hit up the Solforge booth while you are there.

Is the blizzard one Lane Based like the new Order and Chaos Duels and Solforge or more like a Magic style?

tHa ShIzNiT

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2000
I am interested in this game, reserving judgement til I know more. And now, I am interested in solforge as well. I've been looking for some good online card games. The last one I played was warstorm on facebook and it was pretty basic but I quite enjoyed it, until they pulled the plug. Ah well, that allowed me to delete my worthless facebook account at least (although, you cant ever really erase it).

Anyways, I would prefer to not spend any money on my card games but if its compelling enough I may.

tHa ShIzNiT

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2000
OK i'm looking at sol forge and without digging really deep...how do I play it? Is it ipad only right now? I thought it was a browser game at first but now I dunno.

Ashenor

Golden Member
May 9, 2012
OK i'm looking at sol forge and without digging really deep...how do I play it? Is it ipad only right now? I thought it was a browser game at first but now I dunno.

It's in "beta" right now, only on iPad, will be a PC client soon. There are 4 factions right now, its going to have tournaments and draft still play ala Magic.

It's made by the founder of Magic and the creators of Ascension. There will be more news this weekend they are unvieling more at Pax this weekend.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
For me, part of the fun of a TCG is physically having/looking at the cards. I couldn't see myself blowing that much money on digital pictures.

That used to be me. I cane back to MTG briefly a few years ago after having not played since I was in school 15 years ago. At first I was all about collecting physical cards- I bought booster boxes, openned, sorted, sleeved cards, etc. Bough some singles on ebay. It was fun.

Then I decided to try MTGO, because I like playing draft but local stores only run drafts once a week. Didn't notice a huge difference drafting, felt like much the same game, similar costs, etc.

After being back into the Magic scene for a few months, I had enough drafted cards that I was interested in building constructed decks on MTGO, I realized just how convenient digital cards are. Using the same cards in multiple decks, no added expense of card protector sleeves, no worry of cards losing value due to wear & tear over time. Vastly superior trading marketplace. It was better in almost every way.

Admittedly, I still like the feel of shuffling real cards, and it's more fun to play in person. So I decided on a compromise. I'd primarily play and collect online, and if I ever developed a highly successful deck I'd simply purchase the physical cards to recreate that deck for physical card games. Since then I came to my senses and realized playing Magic at all was a huge extra expense I really didn't need to deal with, so I haven't played the game in the last year, but if I did come into a situation where I had an extra $300+ to blow on a hobby like that I'd be playing online.

Oh, and re: Hearthstone, why no Android version? I'm starting to wonder if Blizzard has a lot of Apple fans in charge of making those sorts of decisions.

tHa ShIzNiT

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2000
It's in "beta" right now, only on iPad, will be a PC client soon. There are 4 factions right now, its going to have tournaments and draft still play ala Magic.

It's made by the founder of Magic and the creators of Ascension. There will be more news this weekend they are unvieling more at Pax this weekend.

ah dang. so you have an ipad then, obviously. that makes me want one. =). Did you invest the $150 as a kickstarter? Game looks promising. Its actually looking a lot like warstorm, where you have multiple "lanes" to play your creatures, and they are all battling it out.

tHa ShIzNiT

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2000
Admittedly, I still like the feel of shuffling real cards, and it's more fun to play in person. So I decided on a compromise. I'd primarily play and collect online, and if I ever developed a highly successful deck I'd simply purchase the physical cards to recreate that deck for physical card games. Since then I came to my senses and realized playing Magic at all was a huge extra expense I really didn't need to deal with, so I haven't played the game in the last year, but if I did come into a situation where I had an extra $300+ to blow on a hobby like that I'd be playing online.

Agreed on the extra expense aspect, but what you're buying at least has a value. Allowing you to "cash out" at any time. Theoretically.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Agreed on the extra expense aspect, but what you're buying at least has a value. Allowing you to "cash out" at any time. Theoretically.

That was the good thing about mtgo.

Not to mention you generally could trade with people at card shop, both players and the owners, as most had accounts later on for real cards and such.

Ashenor

Golden Member
May 9, 2012
ah dang. so you have an ipad then, obviously. that makes me want one. =). Did you invest the $150 as a kickstarter? Game looks promising. Its actually looking a lot like warstorm, where you have multiple "lanes" to play your creatures, and they are all battling it out.

Ya I did a 125 kickstarter for it and a 25 addon to my ascension online kickstarter. I like how the cards level up as you play them.

As far as hearthstone I wonder how long till its out.

Ashenor

Golden Member
May 9, 2012
This isn't project titan right?

I can't imgaine that it is. I am sure it's something they seen that turns a good profit for the good modeled ones, they have a franchise with a huge player base so hoping in the online tcg market.

Ashenor

Golden Member
May 9, 2012
Aren't all TCGs/CCGs Pay to Win?

No, it's not Titan.

I would call it pay to be competive, like Magic phsyical deck, not many people are going to take a intro deck and compete well with it. It gets you into it and if you want to move on your buy cards/boosters, i have no issues with the model when you can sell your cards or trade them.

ZaneNBK

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2000
Aren't all TCGs/CCGs Pay to Win?

Pretty much, that's why I stopped playing them.

I was telling a co-worker about Net Runner, a Cyber Punk TCG, and he bet me a dinner he could beat me without having played at that point. Like a sucker I accepted. The rich bastard went online and bought all the cards to build the last tournament winning deck and kicked my ass royally. I had just the base set with a few extra card packs. He also neglected to mention he was a long time MTG player and had a closet literally half full of MTG cards.

That cost me a $200 dinner at a steak house back when I was living paycheck to paycheck.

Ashenor

Golden Member
May 9, 2012
Pretty much, that's why I stopped playing them.

I was telling a co-worker about Net Runner, a Cyber Punk TCG, and he bet me a dinner he could beat me without having played at that point. Like a sucker I accepted. The rich bastard went online and bought all the cards to build the last tournament winning deck and kicked my ass royally. I had just the base set with a few extra card packs. He also neglected to mention he was a long time MTG player and had a closet literally half full of MTG cards.

That cost me a $200 dinner at a steak house back when I was living paycheck to paycheck.

Ya he suckered you.

There is a big difference between the players just looking to play a true free 2 play game, and more TCG vets that happily buy 2 booster boxes plus of a new magic release or simular each time its released. When it comes down to it, it is a expensive hobby, but you can also make money buying and selling cards.

I have tried quite a few times to get into Shadow Era, just never can get into the discard for resoruce mechanism of the game.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011

I'm glad they didn't have online MTG back when it became really popular. I got in shortly after the third set, and probably spent a good $3,000 on boxes of MTG cards.

Good news is, that I have dozens of mint dual lands, which are going for around $50-$60 each on Ebay, and I've already sold a Time Vault and some Alpha cards for an obscene amount of money, and plan to auction off the other thousand or so 'good cards' I have. I'm guessing I'll get at least $15k out of them all.

I'm just wondering when is the right time to sell; selling those duals @ $50, if they might be worth $200 a piece someday. They have gone up from around $25 several years ago.

Ashenor

Golden Member
May 9, 2012
I'm glad they didn't have online MTG back when it became really popular. I got in shortly after the third set, and probably spent a good $3,000 on boxes of MTG cards.

Good news is, that I have dozens of mint dual lands, which are going for around $50-$60 each on Ebay, and I've already sold a Time Vault and some Alpha cards for an obscene amount of money, and plan to auction off the other thousand or so 'good cards' I have. I'm guessing I'll get at least $15k out of them all.

I'm just wondering when is the right time to sell; selling those duals @ $50, if they might be worth $200 a piece someday. They have gone up from around $25 several years ago.

Duals are ok to hold on for awhile, if you have fetch lands i would consider selling them, they may start seeing a reprint.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010

Any black lotus's? Wish I still had the ones from when I started lol.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Man if it was a Pokemon TCG I know at least one friend and I would play the crap out of it lol. I actually loved playing the Gameboy version of it way back in middle school.

It'd be nice to have a more 'ubiquitous' (I'm only assuming because it's Blizzard backed that it will probably experience some fair level of success) TCG to play because I could see that as actually being fun to play across multiple platforms.

I can't read the original article from work, is it WoW themed given the name Hearthstone?

Ashenor

Golden Member
May 9, 2012
Ya there is a beta signup also, i can't access the link here at work though, you signup with your battlenet account.

Bryf50

Golden Member
Nov 11, 2006
I'm not sure what all the hate is about. They only said they were working on a small side project. Anything major would be announced at Blizzcon. I think it looks pretty fun. There's even a mode where you and your opponent pick a random deck removing the Pay2win aspect. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF_PdZybRJE&feature=player_embedded#! The effects and production quality already look pretty good.

And no this obviously has nothing to do with titan. We already know that whatever titan ends up being its going to be have a huge budget and massive 100+ man development team.