Blizzard Delays Titan MMO

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Hard to care about something we haven't seen or know much at all about.

As for the whole WoW thing. I played it hardcore in vanilla (like top 1-2 guilds in NA hardcore). Took a break and came back like 4 months before Lich King came out, did all the Burning Crusade stuff, thought it was ok. LK, I liked the areas and setting (I'm a sucker for snow levels) but the design of the game was going downhill. I played it quite a bit pretty hard again, was in a guild that was able to clear Uldarr (sp?) and its hardmode when that was the top dungeon. After that I quit again. Came back with Cat, what a turd, played for like 2 months maybe and havent' looked back.

My buddy who played with me most of the time wanted to check out the new expansion like 4 months ago. I was over his house and he was showing me stuff, ugh. But worse, the server was empty, on a Saturday night, that place was always packed at the AH's and there was maybe 3 people in them at Org and other places, I was blown away that it was that empty and that Org itself was dead.

Anyways, the only thing I want from Blizzard and I'll have to probably wait another 2-3 years for is the Protoss campaign for SC2. They are my fav race and it ticks me off I'm having to wait this damn long.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I don't understand the alleged correlation between "WoW is losing subscribers" and "Titan is being re-done". Unless you really think that moderately waning interest in a nearly decade old game means "MMOs are on their way out" (which is ludicrous), I don't see the relationship here. If anything, a setting sun for WoW would just 'open up' more players for Titan (I don't think most players will pay for more than one sub game at a time).

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Honestly, WoW kept me from spending so much money. When I don't play WoW, I get bored, go out and buy shit just because I can. So, do I be a shut-in that pays $15 a month to play a video game or spend lots more than that by going out often. :|

Have you looked at how many free to play MMOs are on steam?

http://store.steampowered.com/genre/Free to Play/

~ EDIT ~

What I am getting at is WOW has more competition today than ever before.

Last edited:

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
I don't understand the alleged correlation between "WoW is losing subscribers" and "Titan is being re-done". Unless you really think that moderately waning interest in a nearly decade old game means "MMOs are on their way out" (which is ludicrous), I don't see the relationship here. If anything, a setting sun for WoW would just 'open up' more players for Titan (I don't think most players will pay for more than one sub game at a time).

There isn't a connection. Titan was initially announced while WOW was at its zenith with WOTLK and Blizzard was quick to say it would be completely different and it's existance would in no way affect or be affected by WOW. Compared to the average Blizzard development time, it's still a somewhat young project. Blizzard has a track record for resetting or killing projects thats don't live up to their standards so none of this is surprising. If this were another developer I'd probably be suspicious also, but its par for the course for these guys. That said, sometimes bad design still slips through so a complete reset doesn't automatically mean a better quality product in the end.

I think some people have an irrational hatred or disregard for WOW, as if it has a gravitational pull on all other games around it, even those that originate within Blizzard. All I can say is that it's unfortunate that no other developer has yet to be able to create an MMO that could displace WOW, but it's hardly Blizzard's fault.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
It will fail. Blizzard is dead, long live Activision thugs.

WoW was awesome up to WotLK until Activision and dollar signs in the eyes took over and its turned to shit ever since.

I'm glad though... Took Activision to destroy it to cure me, and I've since not been seduced by another MMO because nothing will ever be as good as WoW in its best days .

Last edited:

lilrayray69

Apr 4, 2013
I honestly had no idea Titan was ACTUALLY in development, nor that it was still even being referred to as Titan.

I only heard about it on WoW in trade chat towards the end of WotLK and the beginning of Cata. Rumors were it was set for 2015, which then was 6 years away. As far as I know, more WoW expansions are planned and in development - at least one if not two.

Blizzard is fairly notorious for delaying things. Has any actual information come out regarding Titan? I remember rumors of it being WoW 2.0 and others that it was a completely different world.

Being in development so long I can only think it's bound to already be outdated by the time it comes out. Knowing Blizzard they'll try to keep the monthly subscription fee AND add in real money auction houses.

I just don't see how an MMO can be in development for nearly 10 years. Hardware and software change so quick they'll be racing just to update what they already have.

The Elder Scrolls Online was only announced last year wasn't it, and is set for a late 2013/early 2014 release?

Also, as mentioned above, it was about when Activision took over that I quit as well. Played Cata for a little bit, tried out the Panda expansion, but haven't touched it in at least a year now.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
That is another reason apart from the devolved game play I can't enjoy WoW much any more; terribly out-dated tech. Graphics are not everything and game play is paramount, but graphics add to immersion and engrossment in the game world.

At this point I think you could run the WoW engine on your smart phone. It was dated when it came in 2004 and it's much more so dated today. Nothing can be done about that either. A completely new engine is just not feasible with having to create the engine its self, new assets for everything and the inherent differences you would run into in how the game actually handles for players under a new engine.

It's a shame they couldn't get it together on Titan. I would be up for a new MMO if it was really good like WoW was for a good five years. Even with Diablo 3 being a failure I think Titan could be decent as it's presumably different people involved in making the game. I'd prefer it was subscription based though, as F2P would mean a RMAH and micro-transaction garbage at every turn. Seems doomed from this announcement, how do you restart an entire game and approach it by cutting the development staff for the game to the bare bones ? Seems counter-intuitive and more likely it will just never release at all.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I haven't played WoW since cata, but I don't see how Activision 'ruined WoW', I thought Cata was a decent expansion - even if I wasn't crazy about the lands being changed that much - and the reviews have been very positive for pandas. I played WoW as vanilla.

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
I haven't played WoW since cata, but I don't see how Activision 'ruined WoW', I thought Cata was a decent expansion - even if I wasn't crazy about the lands being changed that much - and the reviews have been very positive for pandas. I played WoW as vanilla.
It's because people seem to have that sentimental connection to "the old days". I couldn't go back to a time pre-dungeon/raid finder, it sucked waiting for an hour to get into a raid. It's still an amazing game and keeps millions of people subscribed year after year, it certainly isn't ruined.

Now there is a ton of MMO's out though, which is probably why they have lost some subscribers. And when the economy sucks like it has for the past few years, people tend to gravitate to F2P or just buy single player games.

I personally cancelled when Diablo3 came out because I knew in my spare time I wouldn't have time to play both. The funny part about it is I got D3 for free because I was a WoW subscriber, and it was the reason I quit WoW (for now anyhow).

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
The funny part about it is I got D3 for free because I was a WoW subscriber, and it was the reason I quit WoW (for now anyhow).

True, but they did get you to commit to WoW for, what was it a year? to get that. I doubt many quit WoW for Diablo 3. I suspect they got a lot more money than it cost them.

It made some sense for early buyers with a value of $60, but less for later buyers when it went on sale for $30. I considered it, but didn't expect to get to Diablo 3 for some time.

And in fact, I've had Starcraft II and Diablo 3 sitting here for quite a while and not installed them yet (part of which is the full 1TB drive filled with games...)