Blackscreen before bios problem after new SSD installed

Fr_edrik

Feb 15, 2018
Hey hardware masters,

i have one really interesting issue which cant beat on my own.

We upgraded computer with the new samsung SSD. We did full and clean install of Windows 10. The old HDD is now only as secondary for data storage. It was completely cleaned and formatted.
With the new SSD we SOMETIME (in 70% cases) cant boot. It stuck before bios loading on black screen. When we turn off (with hard button style) and turn on the computer again it ALWAYS boot normally. Like nothing has just happened. everything is ok.
Additional, it sometimes freeze computerw hile we working/playing on it standardly. And it needed to be restarted.

We tried many advices we found on the internet. Nothing help.
Tried to:
- plug off the old HDD - nothing
- plug of the SSD - worked everytime but the error message show there is no bootable device - it s just a proof, the ssd is the bad guy
- plug off monitors
- changed SATA cabels and slots on MB
- IDE-AHCI changing in bios
- let windows toupgrade drivers in safe mmode
- .. and maybe some other tricks which i cant remmember right now

Do you have any extra advices? Have found the same problems on forums - people who cant boot and have blackscreen before bios cant do it everytime. Our computer always works after restart when it stack on blackscreen. And ofc the freezes while working on it are bad and it has to have connection between those problems..

Thank you for any answer.

SPEC:
Samsung SSD 850 EVO - 500GB
HDD Seagate Barracuda 7200.14, 3,5" SATA III - 1TB
CPU AMD FX-8300 (3.3Ghz, s. AM3+, 95W) BOX
MB MSI 970A-G43 - s.AM3+, DDR3, ATX
VGA nV MSI GTX 960 GAMING 2G, 2GB, DDR5, PCI-e
RAM CRUCIAL 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9, Ballistix Sport
Zdroj SEASONIC SS-500ET, T3, (Energy Knight), BRONZE, 500W (OEM)

It run Windows 10 on the old HDD without problem.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
So let me get this straight, sometimes, you turn the PC on, and you get... only a black screen? Does it display the BIOS logo, or POST info, or ANYTHING?

But if you plug in an older HDD, it's fine?

Sounds like either your new SSD is faulty, to the point of actually shorting something out, or your PSU is defective or has a flaky connector, or something else is shorting out in the system, or the mobo is failing.

Fr_edrik

Feb 15, 2018
Yup, only the black screen with no logo, no bios, just nothing.

If the old HDD is pluged in and the SSD is pluged off, it is fine.
Tried to do some software tests of the SSD and it looked good. I ll try to change PSU and SSD in different MOBO

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I wonder if the partitions are in the right place. Many times, when 2 drives are present, Windows will put the boot partition on the OTHER drive. Since the OTHER drive is a spinner, and has spin-up time (especially if it's an older drive), that could be the source of your problem.

If this is the case, the solution would be to re-install Windows with only the SSD connected.

xgsound

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2002
If you have a fast boot option disable it.
If not look in the bios for a way to slow the bios load such as display bios logo.

xgsound

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2002
IF you switch off power to the computer (?power strip), turn the power on for 10/ 20 seconds before powering on the actual computer.
I have a samsung SSD also and a power strip. If I turn both on at the same time, I get a no image error from the bios. If I either wait a few seconds to hit enter or wait a few seconds between powering up power strip and the the computer, all is normal.