Black Ops 2 Thread - 11-13-12

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bman123

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2008
They need to patch the audio in this game, it is so broken and I was afraid it would happen because BO1 was like that also. Hoping that they fix it, as of right now there is no need for awareness or the dead silence perk because the only footsteps you can hear are yours and your team mates.

Oct 20, 2005
On PS3, still getting occasional freezing when loading a map. It'll load all the way, I'll hear people talking, and then silence/frozen.

Also, why does it take so long to get into the main menu? I wish you could skip through all the Activision intro and shit.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
They need to patch the audio in this game, it is so broken and I was afraid it would happen because BO1 was like that also. Hoping that they fix it, as of right now there is no need for awareness or the dead silence perk because the only footsteps you can hear are yours and your team mates.
Agreed. Footsteps REALLY need to be patched. I presume they started small with footsteps since it was such an issue in MW3. I think if Awareness just amplifies enemy footsteps and Dead Silence reduces yours and team mate footsteps, then that is better than Sitrep Pro was in MW3. You have to give up a lot if you want to run around with both and you lose other advantages like Dexterity/Extreme Conditioning (which I use in my rushing class now).

Keep an eye on the Treyarch main Twitter accounts. Per Vonderhaar, they will be looking at stats after a couple weeks and tweaking from there:

https://twitter.com/DavidVonderhaar

The balance conversations are some of my favorite. If anything trends abnormally low or high for SPM and K/D, it will get touched.
The instrumentation we have is the best yet. Don't expect something to get nerfed, or buffed, because of an emotional investment.
It will be at least a week before we do something with the data. Collecting intel for now.
Handguns. Stuns. +More. Very powerful compared to our last game. Will likely stay that way considering they cost 1 of the 10 allocation.
Statistically underused Perks will get buffs. Over-performing Scorestreaks will get nerfed. You name it. It's all on the table.

Last edited:

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
By the way, if you were wondering about the guns:

SMGs: Skorpion Evo or bust. The PDW-57 is a little better at range, less recoil & big mag.

ARs: Type 25 is overall best; FAL has high damage but this game is so fast I don't like the semi-auto; M8A1 is GREAT at range; I used someone else's AN-95 and it seems really strong too. Don't waste your time with the MTAR, M27, or SWAT-556 (3-rd burst).

Weapon chart: http://i.imgur.com/O4nrg.png

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
Does anybody know if there is a place I can view all the medals I've earned? I envisioned something like Halo where I could view how many times I've achieved the triple kill or whatever other medals there are. I can't seem to find them anywhere though. It seems odd they would track those stats for one game, but not for your career.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
Thanks fbrdphreak - saves me a lot of time from having to wade through all the geeky (in a good way) gun analysis.

dougp

Diamond Member
May 3, 2002
By the way, if you were wondering about the guns:

SMGs: Skorpion Evo or bust. The PDW-57 is a little better at range, less recoil & big mag.

ARs: Type 25 is overall best; FAL has high damage but this game is so fast I don't like the semi-auto; M8A1 is GREAT at range; I used someone else's AN-95 and it seems really strong too. Don't waste your time with the MTAR, M27, or SWAT-556 (3-rd burst).

Weapon chart: http://i.imgur.com/O4nrg.png

I'm a huge fan of the Chicom CQB - that thing is ridiculously powerful and I get great range. While numbers are fun, I think it detracts from how a gun just "feels" for some users. The PDW was great as well, and the Evo just felt terrible at range (IMO).

As for the MTAR, I think it's the most popular AR I've seen people use - I'm just using it until I get Prestige 2 on it, then I'll move on. First two weapons I will prestige are the MTAR and Chicom CQB.

As a side note, anyone else have the gold camo for the default rocket launcher? That was fun!

Oct 20, 2005
Does anybody know if there is a place I can view all the medals I've earned? I envisioned something like Halo where I could view how many times I've achieved the triple kill or whatever other medals there are. I can't seem to find them anywhere though. It seems odd they would track those stats for one game, but not for your career.

Cuda, I wondered the same thing and I don't think there is anything in-game for you to see your medals. It doesn't seem like it's the same as what it was in BO1 where it would tally up your medals earned over your career.

I'm not 100% sure, but it seems medals are now just ways of getting bonus xp at the end of a match. Like if you are the victor, you get +250 (or 500 during DXP weekend), or revenge you get +100, etc.

bucwylde23

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2005

I wish they had this too, because in MW3 we would go in and see who had the most medals on the medal leaderboards.

Not a deal breaker but would be nice to have.

I also miss the stats from blops 1 where it showed all your personal bests and you could compare to other friends.

Abe Froman

Golden Member
Dec 14, 2004
We tried playing Hardpoint last night. We have a pretty good clan, ranking in the top 100 clans in nearly every op we participate in, but those Hardpoint guys really have their shit together online. Jump shot, drop shot, quick scope. We've never had our asses handed to us like a few of those clans did last night. I'll be honest, I still don't know how people quick scope with those bolt action sniper rifles.

The nice part is you level up really quick there during Double XP.

Sixguns

Platinum Member
May 22, 2011
I really like the swat556. I tried the FAL but seemed slow moving/aiming. The 3 round burst is great on hardcore. I wouldnt use in on core though, to fast of a game to use it anywhere but hardcore.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
Thanks fbrdphreak - saves me a lot of time from having to wade through all the geeky (in a good way) gun analysis.

Oh great, I go home to play it and turns out the gun fbrdphreak recommends for SMG is the last gun in the list. Go figure. Well for me at Level 24, it's still locked.

dougp

Diamond Member
May 3, 2002
Oh great, I go home to play it and turns out the gun fbrdphreak recommends for SMG is the last gun in the list. Go figure. Well for me at Level 24, it's still locked.

Honestly, just because stats say a gun is better, doesn't mean it will always be so. Find one that you're comfortable with and use that, because judging from the Twitter post above, Treyarch will nerf stuff that is overused to "balance" the game.

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
I wish they had this too, because in MW3 we would go in and see who had the most medals on the medal leaderboards.

Not a deal breaker but would be nice to have.

I also miss the stats from blops 1 where it showed all your personal bests and you could compare to other friends.

Yea, I'm not understanding their decision on this one. With the emphasis being placed on leauge play and long term sustainability, you would think that stat tracking would be one of their primary focuses. I'd love to be able to see how many triple kills I have compared to my friends. Or how often I get X-Ray kills compared to others.

Another thing. Apparently the Nuketown 24/7 playlist is gone. As in, gone gone. I guess its going to be back for special events only. It also seems that Nuketown will not be appearing in the regular lobbies playlists. So basically, for those of us who loved Nuketown, we just lost our favorite map. One that we were told to pre-order so we could get it. Does anyone else think this is BS? I'm not mad or anything, its just a game. But I'm very disappointed.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Yea, I'm not understanding their decision on this one. With the emphasis being placed on leauge play and long term sustainability, you would think that stat tracking would be one of their primary focuses. I'd love to be able to see how many triple kills I have compared to my friends. Or how often I get X-Ray kills compared to others.

Another thing. Apparently the Nuketown 24/7 playlist is gone. As in, gone gone. I guess its going to be back for special events only. It also seems that Nuketown will not be appearing in the regular lobbies playlists. So basically, for those of us who loved Nuketown, we just lost our favorite map. One that we were told to pre-order so we could get it. Does anyone else think this is BS? I'm not mad or anything, its just a game. But I'm very disappointed.

I just installed nuketown last night. My bro has been playing it all the time.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
Can anyone explain to me how clans work? I've never played in one. Other than having a cool [CLANNAME] tag in front of your name, what does it do? Do you always have to play together to affect the clan ranking? What happens if me and bucwylde23 are in a clan but our schedules don't match up. Since he's such a good player, doers that rank up our clan?

bucwylde23

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2005
Can anyone explain to me how clans work? I've never played in one. Other than having a cool [CLANNAME] tag in front of your name, what does it do? Do you always have to play together to affect the clan ranking? What happens if me and bucwylde23 are in a clan but our schedules don't match up. Since he's such a good player, doers that rank up our clan?

In MW3 there were clan ops, basically a certain timeframe that was like 3 hours where you had to do whatever the operation was.

So for example one would be most kills confirmed in that 3 hour span. You don't have to play together, however only the top 6 people that participated had their scores count. Your clan would either win, or get gold, silver, bronze medals and the higher you ranked the more XP your clan would get.

The clan I'm in got up to around level 32 I think, can't remember. But at certain milestones you would unlock clan double XP which is pretty nice.

Not sure how it will work in Blops 2 yet.

Oct 20, 2005

Hmm....that's weird. Why the F would they get rid of nuketown playlist? I agree with you, it's probably not going to show up in the normal playlist either since not everyone will have it.

So they advertise getting nuketown 2025 for free w/ pre-order yet don't let us play it? I'm really hoping this is just a glitch/mess up.

bucwylde23

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2005
Hmm....that's weird. Why the F would they get rid of nuketown playlist? I agree with you, it's probably not going to show up in the normal playlist either since not everyone will have it.

So they advertise getting nuketown 2025 for free w/ pre-order yet don't let us play it? I'm really hoping this is just a glitch/mess up.

It's not a glitch, David Vonderhaar posted on twitter this morning that it was gone and will return on special occasions. Said if people want to play it they can do custom games.

I saw a later response where he said they were talking over putting it into the regular playlists.

They should AT LEAST give us a standard map mosh pit.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
It still doesn't make any sense though. Vonderhaar's message was something like "Well Double XP weekend is over, so now the Nuketown 2025 playlist is gone!"

How are the two even related? That's like me saying "Well Thanksgiving has come and gone, and so have care packages"

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
Man, I just went and played and I really miss Nuketown already. The only thing I can think of is to many people were playing nuketown and/or people were gaining xp to fast. But honestly, who cares if everyone is 10th prestige next week. It doesn't hurt the game any. Why take away one of everyone's, obviously, favorite maps?

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
The Chicom is pretty good too, but IIRC that's the 2nd to last unlock. The Skorpion has the highest fire rate by a huge margin, which means it will generally outclass anything else. Agreed it's not the best at range.

In the end it does come down to your play style and what feels right when you use it.

For my ghost rushing class, I will probably stick to the Skorpion due to the fire rate, since I will be in everyone's face.

I wonder how the PDW would do with rapid fire, fast mags, and silencer. It has a bigger mag than the Skorpion...

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
I'm a huge fan of the Chicom CQB - that thing is ridiculously powerful and I get great range. While numbers are fun, I think it detracts from how a gun just "feels" for some users. The PDW was great as well, and the Evo just felt terrible at range (IMO).

As for the MTAR, I think it's the most popular AR I've seen people use - I'm just using it until I get Prestige 2 on it, then I'll move on. First two weapons I will prestige are the MTAR and Chicom CQB.

As a side note, anyone else have the gold camo for the default rocket launcher? That was fun!
I agree the MTAR is good, esp for the first unlocked AR. Just that the Type 25 is better.

I don't have Gold on the regular launcher yet, but I will I'm sure.

dougp

Diamond Member
May 3, 2002
Lag was getting better until tonight, now it's just terrible. And yes, I have it set to look for best quality match.

Fuckin ridiculous. How long has this engine been around? How many iterations of this fucking game do we need to go through before they fix this shit.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Lag was getting better until tonight, now it's just terrible. And yes, I have it set to look for best quality match.

Fuckin ridiculous. How long has this engine been around? How many iterations of this fucking game do we need to go through before they fix this shit.
Just keep in mind there are always problems in the beginning.