Black Mesa Source Countdown

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
Played for about an hour tonight. Only two words can describe this mod. FARKING AWESOME.

They took a great game (one of my favorites in fact), and made it better. Much better. Kudos to the developers. A grand effort and one hell of a result.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
I only recently reinstalled STEAM after a HD swap. I have no games currently installed via STEAM. Should I have something installed before I try installing BM?

ApexBoost

May 5, 2011
Been playing for a bit, its very well done. I can't believe how much I've forgotten about the game though, which makes it very fun.

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
I keep getting stuck in places, then irritated, then accidentally find my way, repeat.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Where's a map?!?! Where are hints to tell me which way to go!! I'm so lost..... and I love it. :)

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
I quit playing when my flashlight started to crash the game every time I turned it on. Started when I got to the employee lounge/offices.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
As someone born in 1980 I really enjoy seeing all the VHS tapes and CRT monitors and old style keyboards, etc around in the Black Mesa offices.

It helps me pretend I'm back in 1998 again, those were good times. That was a particularly good year.

Games I was playing in 1998:

Half-Life
Unreal
Ultima Online
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

movies I enjoyed around that time:

The Fifth Element
GATTACA

and we didn't know the Star Wars prequels sucked yet.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I only recently reinstalled STEAM after a HD swap. I have no games currently installed via STEAM. Should I have something installed before I try installing BM?

You'll need both Source SDK Base 2006 and 2007 installed. They are free (you don't have to own any other HL game) and are located under the Tools section.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
As someone born in 1980 I really enjoy seeing all the VHS tapes and CRT monitors and old style keyboards, etc around in the Black Mesa offices.

It helps me pretend I'm back in 1998 again, those were good times. That was a particularly good year.

Half-Life
Unreal
Ultima Online

The Fifth Element
GATTACA

Don't be posting that stuff! Makes me feel old. :(

Crow550

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005

Half-Life
Unreal
Ultima Online

The Fifth Element
GATTACA

Ah yeah. :cool:

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
Hey when I installed the Black Mesa I got from that torrent, Steam also started downloading two files. I just checked one of them it's title was SDK but it's Episode 1, I imagine the other is Episode 2.

EDIT: Nah, it just seems to be some video stress test.

Last edited:

Sable

Golden Member
Jan 7, 2006
UK people spot the chuckle brothers mug? ;)

nd6h4p.jpg

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Maybe already covered here, but how do I launch this game? If I install the game and have source 2007 installed, it asks me if I want to launch the game and when I do, it plays fine. If I exit the game, I don't know how to relaunch it. I have restarted steam, restarted my pc, etc, and it doesn't show up in my installed games list or anything. I have no idea how to launch the game....

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
Maybe already covered here, but how do I launch this game? If I install the game and have source 2007 installed, it asks me if I want to launch the game and when I do, it plays fine. If I exit the game, I don't know how to relaunch it. I have restarted steam, restarted my pc, etc, and it doesn't show up in my installed games list or anything. I have no idea how to launch the game....

Not sure why you are having a problem, it shows up in your library just like every other Steam game and you can launch it from there. You do have to restart Steam though.

Amit3945

Jul 29, 2006
noob question.
I have HL2 installed (from DVD) on a desktop which is not connected to the net.
I am asuming that when I installed HL2 the Source SDK 2007 got installed alongside, so all I need to do now is run the Black Mesa setup (from the 3 files that I am dlding) and I am good to go.right?

Oct 25, 2006
Not sure why you are having a problem, it shows up in your library just like every other Steam game and you can launch it from there. You do have to restart Steam though.

Yeah well, I'm having the same problem.

I have SDK 2006/2007 and everything installed. Nothing is showing up anywhere

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
This is after I've played the game for 15 minutes and have exited steam, restarted my computer even, and still, not showing up.

451a0.jpg

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002

This happen to me last night. After you install the game you have to exit steam and relaunch it. Then it will be listed in your games list.

I reinstalled the game before I figured this out.

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
This is after I've played the game for 15 minutes and have exited steam, restarted my computer even, and still, not showing up.

451a0.jpg

Is your first game Blur? Mine shows up as Black Mesa, alphabetically prior to Blur. Probably irrelevant but I posted just in case.

Oct 25, 2006
This happen to me last night. After you install the game you have to exit steam and relaunch it. Then it will be listed in your games list.

I reinstalled the game before I figured this out.

I've restarted Steam and my computer.

Nothing there

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
I downloaded this torrent that was posted a few pages back. I have bittorrent installed.. anyway. Once the download was complete there was a file with winzip folders and a .exe set up app. I just clicked on that, it decompressed all the zipped folders and installed. Took like 20 mins. The I was able to play the game.

I did have hl source already installed on steam, this Mod shows up as Black Mesa in the games view on steam, not Half Like Black mesa, Just black mesa.

https://kat.ph/black-mesa-source-pc-t6658122.html

Last edited: