Black Mesa Source Countdown

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
It looks like the 2006 is required as well. Got the 2007 installed. Not sure how to launch this mod yet. Maybe it appears on the game list once everything is downloaded. Or is an option in-game? I don't ever play mods. lol.

You're downloading the torrent? I just ran the setup, then restarted Steam and it was in my library.

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
You're downloading the torrent? I just ran the setup, then restarted Steam and it was in my library.

I downloaded the torrent, then ran the setup file in the torrent. Then steam downloaded 2007 sdk and paused the 2006 sdk download. I resumed the 2006 download.

Once this is done, people are saying that "Black Mesa" should show up on your Steam games list after a restart. I haven't gotten that far yet though.

EDIT: Yep, it shows up as "Black Mesa" in the games list once the 2006 and 2007 sdks are downloaded.

rgallant

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2007
It looks like the 2006 is required as well. Got the 2007 installed. Not sure how to launch this mod yet. Maybe it appears on the game list once everything is downloaded. Or is an option in-game? I don't ever play mods. lol.
what I did
had source sdk 2007 down loaded from steam ,it put a icon on the desktop
-moved BM download from my dl drive to a new desktop folder to extract
-dropped sdk icon in the folder to keep them together
-hit the installer
-it ran
-steam opened up after the install and BM was in my library
-made desktop icon
-started game

-only thing in the video options is you have to set ratio first to see your res. options eg. 16:9 to see 2560x1440 for mine
-hope that helps.

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
I'm not exactly sure how trackers work, but I assumed any on reddit would have a ridiculous number of leechers. I just used the kickasstorrents link and the torrent downloaded at my max speed, done in an hour.

Same one as the one reddit linked. I just said reddit because reference to kat.ph could probably be looked at as "piracy" or some such nonsense

BTW, 26,684 seeds and 35,492 peers

Last edited:

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
Only one of the trackers from the reddit/kat.ph link is active for me. Dunno why.

157TR.jpg

Feb 6, 2007
Does anyone know why I get 138 fps here:
http://i.imgur.com/vMOKb.jpg

But only 36 fps here:
http://i.imgur.com/ppImz.jpg

I get that there is more on the screen, but can it really make that much of a difference?
It sounds like an optimization issue. The graphics card is being told to render something which doesn't actually appear on screen. The source engine has had issues with r_speed optimizations since it was released, so that would be my guess. Does it happen anywhere else or just right there?

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
I'm having all kinds of performance issues as well. I did forget to close utorrent before playing though so that might have something to do with it.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
Lighting? HDR or bloom or something?

Can't wait to download this when I get home.

KT

Ya I disabled HDR and it seems to have made a difference. My fps still drops, but not as noticeably.

The screenshots I took are a little misleading because there is a flickering light, and it was only on in one.

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
I haven't' got a gun yet, just the crow bar but it feels about the same as when I played source. Maybe it looks better but I'm so used to high end graphics now that I'm not impressed.

I wish they had a button like the re-skinned Halo, where when you press it, it shows how it looked originally. I still want to see what the military looks and sounds like... anyone having trouble with the crouch jump thing?

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
I haven't' got a gun yet, just the crow bar but it feels about the same as when I played source. Maybe it looks better but I'm so used to high end graphics now that I'm not impressed.

I wish they had a button like the re-skinned Halo, where when you press it, it shows how it looked originally. I still want to see what the military looks and sounds like... anyone having trouble with the crouch jump thing?

Couldn't you just take a screen shot and load up HL Source to compare?

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
Couldn't you just take a screen shot and load up HL Source to compare?

Didn't it install over the source? It's a mod afterall. But halo was quite interesting. If I remember right, you hit the button and it reverts back to original graphics and you can continue to play like that for nostalgia. Switch back and forth as many times as you like.

Crow550

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
This is awesome. You can see why it took so long. The level of detail added is amazing. Heck I think it looks better than HL2?

I would expect a patch to come soon. I hope the option to use the original music is also added.

Got to the part where the houndeye appears.

Now that all the work at creating Black Mesa is done I think the other Source ports of:
Why assume the Black Mesa Source team would be doing it?

Browsing ModDB.com:

Operation Black Mesa (Opposing Force): http://www.moddb.com/mods/operation-black-mesa

Guard Duty (Blue-Shift): http://www.moddb.com/mods/guardduty

Hazard Team (Decay): http://www.moddb.com/mods/hazard-team1

When these mods come out in another story. :p

Will hopefully take less time to finish. ;)

Blitzvogel

Platinum Member
Oct 17, 2010
Opposing Force would be so sweet. I was blown away by the reverse kickback of the M249 when I first played it back in 2005!

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
This is my first play thru, at the time HL came out I didn't really have a good pc and was very young.

I just got a hand gun saved and decide to take a break so far its runs great. The only think I notice is the loading and audio has some glitches from time to time.

playing at 1920x1200 4xAA 16xAni everything maxed and its smooth, should be considering the age of the source engine.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
I really hate the water levels in this game. Like, really really hate them. I hate anything to do with water in video games, but this game is the worst (and probably the game that started it all)

Crow550

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
You know Black Mesa Source isn't the whole game, right? The Xen levels are still not done or included with today's release.

I know that but if the other mod creators of the other mods get permission to use what the Black Mesa team created it will help them with there mods. Like when Gearbox made Opposing Force, Blue-Shift and Decay for Half-Life originally. Was my point.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
I'm playing it now, not too far into it but past the big initial event.

I am really digging it. They did a fantastic job. I'm usually somewhat leery of fan-made content, but this shit is good.

I'm surprised by how many of the rooms and corridors I'm remembering from when I played it in 1998 by seeing them now.

Always did have a good memory for game maps, I can still recall most layouts of Doom 2 maps.

I guess I also did play it a second time more recently than 1998, not sure when, probably near the time HL2 came out.