Black Desert Online

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Cappuccino

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2013
A quick googles shows this game is f2p everywhere except it looks like for the na/eu servers and if anything has taught people about f2p games they keep running by having a cash shop so I am sure the cash shop will also be on for those servers.

So a game mainly about pvp by the sound of it and with a cash shop will end badly especially as it's a korean game and those are horrible with such shops.
every p2w game will end badly regardless hence why BD will die, not inc other aspect.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
BDO == Korean Guild Wars 2, basically.

Also, the NA version is significantly different from the KR/RU version.

Lastly, everything looks so very plastic in the game.

:(.

As I read the thread up to this point I experienced a flicker of hope that this might be akin to Dark Age of Camelot. I don't really play MMOs anymore because I cannot schedule time. I end up playing them as single player games just so I am not encumbered by other players when my real life intrudes. But if some could recreate a large part of what DAoC was and fix some of the issues I'd play it.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
:(.

As I read the thread up to this point I experienced a flicker of hope that this might be akin to Dark Age of Camelot. I don't really play MMOs anymore because I cannot schedule time. I end up playing them as single player games just so I am not encumbered by other players when my real life intrudes. But if some could recreate a large part of what DAoC was and fix some of the issues I'd play it.
You do know there is a new dark age of camelot game being worked on, right?

asteldian

Nov 25, 2013
Sorry to get off topic, but i'm getting sick of this as well in MMO's, does anyone know of any upcoming games that are reverting back to the 'trinity' system?

Two off the top of my head:
1) Saga of Lucimia
www.sagaoflucimia.com

2) Pantheon
www.pantheonmmo.com

Whether they ever see the light of day, or whether they will be any good if they do, only time will tell. But they both follow the trinity and both are based on the more old school style of MMOs. So, they will be niche as people nowadays consider such things as 'antiquated' but for those who enjoyed older style MMOs, then they are probably the most likely candidates to watch - they are also PvE focused games.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
!!! Rabid Fanboy Alert !!!

You even used the template!

Code:
This game will die just like [I]<insert competing game here>[/I].  
[I]<Insert non-factual guarantee here>[/I].  
[I]<Insert hype-related statement here>[/I].  
[I]<Reiterate oracle-like death statement here>[/I].  
[I]<Pitch and push favored game of choice here>[/I].  
[I]<Puff ego here>[/I].

how about this game will die because PVP centered MMORPG's all have failed. Or have i missed that successful one?

you can use a template on why it will succeed too as all "NEW" MMORPGS all do. Wouldn't a fanboy want it to succeed?

Code:
This game will be bigger then wow just like [I]<nothing to insert, everybody compares to WOW>[/I].  
[I]<Insert non-factual guarantee here>[/I].  
[I]<Insert hype-related statement here>[/I].  
[I]<Reiterate oracle-like death statement here>[/I].  
[I]<Pitch and push favored game of choice here>[/I].  
[I]<Puff ego here>[/I].

Last edited:

Eric1987

Mar 22, 2012
Loving it so far! Got to lvl 20 before maintenance. I should have a friend pass once I get them today for you.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
Would it be possible to grab 2 friend passes? A buddy and I want to try it out before we put any money into it.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Two off the top of my head:
1) Saga of Lucimia
www.sagaoflucimia.com

2) Pantheon
www.pantheonmmo.com

Whether they ever see the light of day, or whether they will be any good if they do, only time will tell. But they both follow the trinity and both are based on the more old school style of MMOs. So, they will be niche as people nowadays consider such things as 'antiquated' but for those who enjoyed older style MMOs, then they are probably the most likely candidates to watch - they are also PvE focused games.

I might try Saga of Lucimia but i'll stay clear of anything associated with Brad Mcquaid

Last edited:

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
the graphics are very pretty and it runs nice with everything turned up so far, i like the auto pathing running

Last edited:

nisryus

Sep 11, 2007
Sounds interesting. I am playing Archeage for awhile (before it was Lineage/Lineage 2) and would like to compare the two games. Some on Archeage forum said it is the AA killer.

If anyone has a guest pass, please spare me one please! Thank you!!

Eric1987

Mar 22, 2012
Sounds interesting. I am playing Archeage for awhile (before it was Lineage/Lineage 2) and would like to compare the two games. Some on Archeage forum said it is the AA killer.

Its much better than archeage. PM me.

asteldian

Nov 25, 2013
I might try Saga of Lucimia but i'll stay clear of anything associated with Brad Mcquaid

Understandable. The man probably has the strongest split of fanboys and haters around.

At this point I don't care who is involved, I just want a decent old school MMO. For all his failings, I cannot deny that the games he has been involved in have been by far the best MMO experiences I have had, even the 'flop' that was Vanguard was one of the most enjoyable pieces of gameplay in any MMO. So I will certainly give him the benefit of the doubt in this. Course, I am also not blindly jumping on the bandwagon of belief that it ill be the best thing ever.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com

Archeage is doing a great job killing itself. You'd plainly see this is you've been playing it for any length of time. I regretfully would ask for the last year and a half of my gaming life back if it weren't for the friends I made in the game.

That said, as I mentioned before, BDO is akin to Archeage as Guild Wars 2 is to World of Warcraft. Two completely different games in terms of play style and mechanics. Archeage's demise has nothing to do with BDO other than "eh, something else has come along to check out" syndrome - ie: people are waiting for any reason to leave. That said, BDO definitely isn't a bad game. But if you want it to "kill" a game pick the right genre-specific game, like Tera or something.

Last edited:

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
I've got a guest pass if someone would like. Please post in the thread if and PM. I may take a while to get to it being on the road for work, but that won't stop me from AFK fishing and farming in BDO :D

Last edited: