Black Desert Online

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Two new classes (Blader/Plum) are released today plus a free character slot

tuco404

Jul 10, 2011
Valencia is releasing tomorrow. Anyone still playing BDO?

https://www.blackdesertonline.com/news/view/163

My guild, PRX, is doing well. We were one of four groups to take a region in the first round of sieges and are totally pumped for the Valencia content.

lgSJsAS.jpg

tuco404

Jul 10, 2011
Valencia is releasing tomorrow. Anyone still playing BDO?

My guild, PRX, is doing well. We were one of four groups to take a region in the first round of sieges and are totally pumped for the Valencia content.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
idiot developers...

I can say the last thing people who are doing chargebacks are concerned with is losing there account.

If anything, they have 1 more reason to get money back on the game, as revoking access to a bought game, is not the same as revoking a monthly subscription.

Mandres

Jun 8, 2011
I'm torn on this one. I think it's a terrible move to make cash shop items tradeable and turn it into a p2w mess like they're doing. Archeage courted the same short-sighted, abusive p2w systems and it destroyed an otherwise exquisite game.

On the other hand, I agree with the developers concerning the chargebacks issue. It's an abuse of the consumer protection laws that angry players are encouraging others to file chargebacks and try to recover everything they've spent on the game since it launched. In my opinion that's fraud; and the only reason it works is that it's been more trouble and expense for developers to fight than to just let it go. BDO intends to fight it apparently, and I applaud that. Just because the game you bought and enjoyed is changing in a way you don't like doesn't entitle you to a full refund of the purchase price a year later.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
Yah i don't see anything wrong with what they did with cash shop. The prices are very reasonable, so you are not going to make much money off selling stuff, especially with the limit on items you can sell a week. Its more in line with "i need a little extra cash and don't want this item i bought so going to sell it". I have yet to see people buying stuff just for that purpose on server. Still nothing on cashshop that is a must have to be good in game.

Its not pay to win by any stretch of the imagination. You should only get worried if they start doing extreme stuff like "tokens to get to level 50 to join friends!" or something messed up like that.

I'm still enjoying the game, they have LOTS of content planned, lots of videos on youtube as well for all the new ocean content and ship warfare.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Well its the course of action they went which is probably the headline story.
If someone was to charge back any MMO, its standard policy just to terminate the account.

BnS did it very well, even if your CC was wrongfully charged, and you called the CC company.
WoW also has the same policy, you resolve it with Blizzard before you goto Credit Card Company.

Its standard policy to do that...
However its not standard to send people threat emails saying they will terminate your account unless you reverse transaction.

Well it may be also looked as a PSA, however to some people its more of a threat email, which will only infuriate people more.
And well the game is a paid product.
In some countries, it is ok to refuse subscription to access to server.
However it is illegal to refuse access to the game when you paid for the game.
So ban the account, get a reverse on all transactions that was done to the company including the game.
To some hardcore people, that can be a couple of thousand.

And in 90% of all cases, the CC company always sides with its customer, and not vendor.
So this to me honestly feels like Daum trying to beg the customer to not charge back, because even tho they are in the right, they will still lose, and the amount that is being charged back must be significant to sqew quarterly reports for the stock holders.

My overall view...
This will HURT future korean MMO's from considering a launch in the US.
Because Korean Law vs US Law vs UK Law is so different, that daum is realizing things they can do in Korea, arent the same they can do outside.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
My overall view...
This will HURT future korean MMO's from considering a launch in the US.
Because Korean Law vs US Law vs UK Law is so different, that daum is realizing things they can do in Korea, arent the same they can do outside.

Korean MMO's have always suffered the same fate when coming over here, not many survive long. They just game differently than us is the main reason. My issue is the whole process of what they are doing for money, while i have nothing against a fair market (which i think it still is in BDO), is why don't they simply offer those who want to pay a monthly fee a option to do it?

I see no reason why this game should not convert to a subscription game, everything on forums screams for fairness, that would be fair. They could even do what EvE does and let people buy in game time with silver in game. It is zero effort on the game company part, plus a steady income vs unsure income from cashshop.

The single biggest complaint, concern with this game from a playerbase is every patch about the cash shop items being put it, when it should be about actual content and about the game. Something is wrong when that is happening.

I love the game, i'm still enjoying it, looking forward to massive ocean content...but the cash shop is the only thing that turns lots of players off, even if its a fair cash shop, its still something in back of mind that makes people pause when considering playing the game.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
welp they just shot themselves in the foot majorly.

I heard the game is now full P2W.

I bet now they are going to see even a bigger flood of charge backs.

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
I'm torn about this game. I generally avoid free to play games because they tend to come saddled with secondary methods of earning income for the developers, such as cash shops. Pay-to-win items are often the biggest draw so they offer them, but its a double edged sword (pun?).

The problem I have with Black Desert in particular is that it isn't free to play in the west, it is pay to play. It isn't subscription based, but you still need to buy the game up front similar to Guild Wars. I knew that when I bought the game yet somehow thought they wouldn't bring all the free to play baggage with it. I blame myself because I had all the information I needed to know better ahead of time. The bottom line is that the player base is still being treated like they got something for nothing, and therefore should just shut up and pony up.

I don't mind the cash shop in principal, but the prices need to be reduced to reflect the fact that it is a secondary revenue stream for this game in the US and not the primary one. Also, pay to win items which would be reasonable in a free to play environment only act to insult those of us that paid for the games content ahead of time.