BL2: AMD Card + nvidia for physx

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
How exactly do you do it? I just realized I should test it out being that I can. :D

I've seen a couple tips but I'd just like to ask what exactly did you need to do to get it to work.

I'd like to see how it is relative to NV cards alone/sli.

FalseChristian

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
AMD cards don't support PhysX. If your AMD card is the master than it won't use the nVidia card for PhysX since it doesn't support it.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
You need to update your information FalseChristian there is a mod that allows you to run Physx on a NV card with an AMD card as the main GPU.

i'm searching for the intrustions now as I just picked up a 650SC to use a dedicated Physx Card.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You need to update your information FalseChristian there is a mod that allows you to run Physx on a NV card with an AMD card as the main GPU.

i'm searching for the intrustions now as I just picked up a 650SC to use a dedicated Physx Card.

Eager to hear your results. I've been thinking of getting an ASRock Extreme 11 which would allow me to use my three 7970s and add an nVidia card for PhysX.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
So far adam I just got everything installed and the hybrid patch working and for borderlands it was very easy.

I only did a 10 mins run thru but so far its good. Physx is set to high and the effects look good.

I need to go into a 4 player co-op and see how hard my fps will tank.

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
So far adam I just got everything installed and the hybrid patch working and for borderlands it was very easy.

I only did a 10 mins run thru but so far its good. Physx is set to high and the effects look good.

I need to go into a 4 player co-op and see how hard my fps will tank.

What exactly did you do? Can you link the patch? Is there a way to get it to work without using an unknown .exe from the internet?

I am asking those that have done it so I don't have to mess up my computer and the drivers needlessly, nor waste my time on fruitless quests. That was one looong thread which I'm not going to bother reading. Either someone will post exactly what they did, or I won't bother. I just thought about it being I have the hardware to test it out.

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
I am asking those that have done it so I don't have to mess up my computer and the drivers needlessly, nor waste my time on fruitless quests. That was one looong thread which I'm not going to bother reading. Either someone will post exactly what they did, or I won't bother. I just thought about it being I have the hardware to test it out.

I thought Balla offered some helpful advice by linking you to a thread with users who have had success getting hybrid PhsX to work. Sometimes you have to do a little research to make unusual solutions work.

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
I thought Balla offered some helpful advice by linking you to a thread with users who have had success getting hybrid PhsX to work. Sometimes you have to do a little research to make unusual solutions work.

Yeah I guess so, I read one page and then I saw a link to a page where the guy wanted donations for some .exe. I noticed the thread was like a bazillion pages long too. This information would be helpful in general, but I am looking for someone who has already done the research and is willing to share. I know people have gotten it to work, but I've seen conflicting ways to do it.

I have an Nvidia card in atm and don't feel like messing with the drivers and throwing in the AMD card for nothing.

Let me rephrase the OP.

Has anyone got AMD + NV physx to work, if so can you list the steps you needed to follow?

Last edited:

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
What exactly did you do? Can you link the patch? Is there a way to get it to work without using an unknown .exe from the internet?

I found a few different guides.

http://www.ngohq.com/graphic-cards/...with-latest-physx-and-geforce-285-solved.html

And this.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1307142/borderlands-2-with-hybrid-physx

The exe you are speaking about you need to run it for this to work.

I've scanned it and install it last night so it is safe. Feel free to download it and scan it yourself if your concerned about it.

At first I couldn't get fluidmark running but figured it out last night.

Once you get the patch up and running you have to get use to either rename or deleting the physx.dll files within those apps once that was done I got it working.

I have to do some more testing tonight with different drivers versions and such.

I'm at work so I cannot piece together a nice guide for you but the links have enough information that you should be able to figure it out.

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
I found a few different guides.

http://www.ngohq.com/graphic-cards/...with-latest-physx-and-geforce-285-solved.html

And this.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1307142/borderlands-2-with-hybrid-physx

The exe you are speaking about you need to run it for this to work.

I've scanned it and install it last night so it is safe. Feel free to download it and scan it yourself if your concerned about it.

At first I couldn't get fluidmark running but figured it out last night.

Once you get the patch up and running you have to get use to either rename or deleting the physx.dll files within those apps once that was done I got it working.

I have to do some more testing tonight with different drivers versions and such.

I'm at work so I cannot piece together a nice guide for you but the links have enough information that you should be able to figure it out.

Perfect, thanks for confirming what you have done.

Wond3r3r, Just enable Physx in Borderlands and let the CPU do the work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_VE5yqNbLg

I've tested it on my i7 980 and HD 7950 and it fails miserably when the fighting gets intense. It's fine in wide open areas without much physx.

Anyways, I have a couple high end NV cards, I'd just like to test this out just because I can. Nothing has been fully capable of handling BL2 physx to this point. (gtx 690, 670, CPU)

Granted if you don't get in heavy battles you'll be fine most of the time. I just find it extremely annoying to be running a $1000 card and hit slideshows in heavy battles. Maybe when the next gen's true high end card gets released it'll actually have some power to run physx.

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
hmm Physx high running on a Cpu will run into major fps drops and slow downs.

If he plans on playing co-op online it won't be pretty once things pickup on screen.

So going to disagree with you on this.

Well, I tried it on my Llano with an HD 6850. If you disable AO it actually runs fairly well. I don't have a 7970 to test it on. It doesn't require any money to try, so I don't see a loss in trying?? If you have an i5 or i7 SB or IVB I bet this will work just fine IMO.

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
Well, I tried it on my Llano with an HD 6850. If you disable AO it actually runs fairly well. I don't have a 7970 to test it on. It doesn't require any money to try, so I don't see a loss in trying?? If you have an i5 or i7 SB or IVB I bet this will work just fine IMO.

Not in heavy multiplayer battles.

I actually tried it out and forgot I was running physx on my i7 980 (6 core 4+GHz) for a while and didn't notice until I hit some heavy fights where it just tanked and was literally a slideshow. So it worked fine, I can't remember exactly how long I managed to play but possibly for 15 minutes until the bigger battle. After that severe stuttering I haven't bothered again.

After the BL2 physx patch that is supposedly coming it may be worth trying again, but I don't expect miracles.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002

Try it on your llano setup then go into a 4 player co-op game and report back your findings.

I'm pretty much on the same cpu as OP and on high it tanks fps when alot of action is on screen.

For me it just wasn't playable but that's subjective.

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
Not in heavy multiplayer battles.

I actually tried it out and forgot I was running physx on my i7 980 (6 core 4+GHz) for a while and didn't notice until I hit some heavy fights where it just tanked and was literally a slideshow. So it worked fine, I can't remember exactly how long I managed to play but possibly for 15 minutes until the bigger battle. After that severe stuttering I haven't bothered again.

After the BL2 physx patch that is supposedly coming it may be worth trying again, but I don't expect miracles.

Ahh, I see... in areas such as caustic caverns I bet will notice a dramatic drop in FPS. If you use caustic weapons in battles it will probably drop as well. I never tried that since I play mostly on my GTX 670. You do have a good point. I will still try it out and let you know.

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
Try it on your llano setup then go into a 4 player co-op game and report back your findings.

I'm pretty much on the same cpu as OP and on high it tanks fps when alot of action is on screen.

For me it just wasn't playable but that's subjective.

What I experienced wasn't subjective. ;)
It was pure stuttering slideshow. I may have to go record with fraps. :D
50,40,30,10,0,2,1,0,0,3,... :p

I haven't tried it in singleplayer.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
What I experienced wasn't subjective. ;)
It was pure stuttering slideshow. I may have to go record with fraps. :D
50,40,30,10,0,2,1,0,0,3,... :p

I haven't tried it in singleplayer.

:p I only played single player the first night I bought the game.

Everything else has been multi and even if I start a game by myself I open it up to the public so people can join.

If I wanted to play a game solo it wouldn't be borderlands its best played with teammates and even more so than the first game I found.

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
:p I only played single player the first night I bought the game.

Everything else has been multi and even if I start a game by myself I open it up to the public so people can join.

If I wanted to play a game solo it wouldn't be borderlands its best played with teammates and even more so than the first game I found.

I have noticed the exact same thing. The difficulty is somehow better plus it's a lot more intense in multiplayer.

imported_jasonnovak

Oct 3, 2005
I used 285.x on Windows 7 I believe, had to install physx seperatly. In Windows 8 had to use 306 driver. The 1.05 patch didn't work for me, I used hybridize.exe (right/click, run as administrator), reboot. Took some messing around so I don't recall the exact steps. Then goto:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Borderlands 2\Binaries\Win32

and remove/rename

PhysXCore.dll
PhysXDevice.dll

Just run gpu-z and monitor gpu 2 usage in-game to see if it's working

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
I used 285.x on Windows 7 I believe, had to install physx seperatly. In Windows 8 had to use 306 driver. The 1.05 patch didn't work for me, I used hybridize.exe (right/click, run as administrator), reboot. Took some messing around so I don't recall the exact steps. Then goto:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Borderlands 2\Binaries\Win32

and remove/rename

PhysXCore.dll
PhysXDevice.dll

Just run gpu-z and monitor gpu 2 usage in-game to see if it's working

This should work.

One thing to pay attention to is the drivers and the card you are using.

Can you use the 285 drivers with 6 series Geforce cards?

tonyfreak215

Nov 21, 2008
I did this with my current system. Didn't work quite as well as I was hoping, but I am pretty happy with it.

Specs:
Processor: Q9550@3.6
Mobo: P5Q-E (only supports two cards at 8X)
Primary ATI Card:XFX HD 6970 @900/1400
Physx Card: EVGA GTX260 Core 216
Intel G2 40gig SSD

I get 90+FPS in town, but while fighting the FPS drop to low 40's.
Sometimes I see high 20s in really intense fights. (playing Co-Op with my Brother)

Although the Hybrid Mod 1.05FF didn't work for me. I had to use the Hybridiz mod.

Last edited:

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
I did this with my current system. Didn't work quite as well as I was hoping, but I am pretty happy with it.

Specs:
Processor: Q9550@3.6
Mobo: P5Q-E (only supports two cards at 8X)
Primary ATI Card:XFX HD 6970 @900/1400
Physx Card: EVGA GTX260 Core 216
Intel G2 40gig SSD

I get 90+FPS in town, but while fighting the FPS drop to low 40's.
Sometimes I see high 20s in really intense fights. (playing Co-Op with my Brother)

Although the Hybrid Mod 1.05FF didn't work for me. I had to use the Hybridiz mod.

Which display drivers and physx drivers did you install also was physx set to high or medium?

Bull Dog

Golden Member
Aug 29, 2005
I'm currently running a Radeon 7970 + 1GB GTX 460 in Hybrid Physx mode. While it isn't perfect (I get some odd stuttering in some of the larger maps.), it is still overall much smoother than trying to run Physx Medium on the CPU only.

I tried running Physx on High for a while. While it ran smoothly enough, I found that watching an enemy discharge 3x his volume in corrosive slime was immersion breaking.