Bioware announces new Star Wars: Old Republic game

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
Originally posted by: zerocool84
Originally posted by: AstroManLuca
I have never played an MMO and I never will. Period. Therefore, I will not be playing this game. And it's too bad, because I really liked KOTOR. But I simply don't find MMOs even slightly fun. I played for about three hours on a friend's WoW account a few years ago and it completely sucked.

I won't play it because it's an MMO but not cus MMO's suck but because they make you have no life.

Pure fallacy. I have a very busy life, yet I still play WoW. I only play about once a week (sometimes not even that), but I have my character up to 64 and I've had fun, for the most part, doing it.

It's not the MMO's fault if you cannot play it without detracting form the other parts of your life, I would say that is more a character flaw than anything else.

KT

And how long does it take someone to get to that 64lvl??? Grinding and grinding for weeks or even months just to get competitive to play with others doesn't interest me. I love RPG's as much as the next guy but if you don't get into a MMO early in the game and keep up with it, you are basically left behind.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Nik
Originally posted by: Dumac
Lucas Arts hasn't made or published a good game in forever...

Also, I don't have high hopes for a KotOR MMO. The MMO gametype requires a removal of everything that made KotOR good.

Like what?

A good storyline, character development, quality party members, a plot that draws the player into the world and centers around them, making them the hero/villain, etc. None of these have been achieved thus far in an MMO, and most of them never will be because of the very nature an MMO.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I have never played an MMO and I never will. Period. Therefore, I will not be playing this game. And it's too bad, because I really liked KOTOR. But I simply don't find MMOs even slightly fun. I played for about three hours on a friend's WoW account a few years ago and it completely sucked.

I won't play it because it's an MMO but not cus MMO's suck but because they make you have no life.

Pure fallacy. I have a very busy life, yet I still play WoW. I only play about once a week (sometimes not even that), but I have my character up to 64 and I've had fun, for the most part, doing it.

It's not the MMO's fault if you cannot play it without detracting form the other parts of your life, I would say that is more a character flaw than anything else.

KT

And how long does it take someone to get to that 64lvl??? Grinding and grinding for weeks or even months just to get competitive to play with others doesn't interest me. I love RPG's as much as the next guy but if you don't get into a MMO early in the game and keep up with it, you are basically left behind.

It took a few months, but that has nothing to do with your first assertion, and I have never felt left behind at all. I could not care less about what other people are doing in the game as long as it doesn't affect me. I just go along, doing my own thing, at my own pace, and have a lot of fun doing so.

If you are talking about PvP, then that is different of course, but for someone like me, it does not matter anyway as I have little interest in PvP.

KT

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Right on.

Here are my problems with MMORPGs:
1. They all involve grinding. If I have to grind for even one minute, F that, I'm not playing. TONS of RPGs allow you to get through the game by just playing, without having to worry about getting enough XP.
. . . .
5. By their very definition, they have to be able to support hundreds of people in the game world. Therefore, the things you do are no longer the extraordinary things you'd expect from a video game character, but rather menial, everyday tasks that everyone is doing. Isn't the point of a video game to sort of escape from the daily grind of being exactly like everyone else? Why would you go home just to control a little virtual avatar of yourself collecting turkey wattles or Gnoll scrotums just like every other worthless loser in the world?

:thumbsup: I've avoided MMOs because of the time sink and needing to game on a schedule for clan/guild activities, but everything I see/read about them tells me that most of the fun is in the group raids and group chatting about raids. The game itself isn't fun, it's the socializing.

In the "real" KOTOR games you're two of the most powerful Jedi in the galaxy. In BG II you're a Child of Bhaal. In Mass Effect you're the first human Spectre. In Vampire: Bloodlines you're deadlier than 99% of the people around you. Even in Oblivion, "it's you, the hero of Kvatch!"

In an MMO you're an herb farmer by day and buffer #3 or tank #2 by night.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
i was kinda excited about a bioware mmo but when i saw the ingame clips, i was pretty disappointed

looks like eq2 with light sabers

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons
Right on.

Here are my problems with MMORPGs:
1. They all involve grinding. If I have to grind for even one minute, F that, I'm not playing. TONS of RPGs allow you to get through the game by just playing, without having to worry about getting enough XP.
. . . .
5. By their very definition, they have to be able to support hundreds of people in the game world. Therefore, the things you do are no longer the extraordinary things you'd expect from a video game character, but rather menial, everyday tasks that everyone is doing. Isn't the point of a video game to sort of escape from the daily grind of being exactly like everyone else? Why would you go home just to control a little virtual avatar of yourself collecting turkey wattles or Gnoll scrotums just like every other worthless loser in the world?

:thumbsup: I've avoided MMOs because of the time sink and needing to game on a schedule for clan/guild activities, but everything I see/read about them tells me that most of the fun is in the group raids and group chatting about raids. The game itself isn't fun, it's the socializing.

In the "real" KOTOR games you're two of the most powerful Jedi in the galaxy. In BG II you're a Child of Bhaal. In Mass Effect you're the first human Spectre. In Vampire: Bloodlines you're deadlier than 99% of the people around you. Even in Oblivion, "it's you, the hero of Kvatch!"

In an MMO you're an herb farmer by day and buffer #3 or tank #2 by night.

Ditto. MMOs just don't have the kind of epic, deep and personally engaging plots and worlds found in single player RPGs. MMOs obviously do have their place, but they cater to different tastes. Turning KOTOR into a MMO is just throwing away everything that made KOTOR so praised, and taking only the name.

After playing Eve online I'm not touching another MMORPG again.

fivetiger

Feb 19, 2007

KT

How do you justify $15 a month if you only play a few hours a week?

That was the problem I had with WoW. I didn't want to play all the time, yet if I didn't, I felt like I was getting ripped off. I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way.

In the end, though, it was the grinding that got me. Even in WoW, there was so much grind that I wasn't feeling enough real progress for my $15. I hear it's a little better/faster now.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I'm also a cheapskate and buy a lot of my games for $20 or less, so $180/year for a single game seems like crazy talk to me.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: fivetiger

KT

That was the problem I had with WoW. I didn't want to play all the time, yet if I didn't, I felt like I was getting ripped off. I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way.

In the end, though, it was the grinding that got me. Even in WoW, there was so much grind that I wasn't feeling enough real progress for my $15. I hear it's a little better/faster now.

Say 4 hours per week minimum, that's around 20 hours per month, which means $0.75 hour. It's $12 for a theatre movie here, about $5 or so to rent one, $2.50-$5 for a cup of coffee, heck even $0.99 for a pizza slice (the crappy stuff), so $0.75/hour to play WoW seems like a steal to me.

KT

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Originally posted by: Bateluer
Originally posted by: Nik
Lucas Arts hasn't made or published a good game in forever...

Also, I don't have high hopes for a KotOR MMO. The MMO gametype requires a removal of everything that made KotOR good.

Like what?

A good storyline, character development, quality party members, a plot that draws the player into the world and centers around them, making them the hero/villain, etc. None of these have been achieved thus far in an MMO, and most of them never will be because of the very nature an MMO.

You must not have played very many MMOs. Most MMOs have a main story arc with several sub-plot arcs that put you, your player, at the center of it and making them the hero. In fact, out of all the MMOs I've played, whether I liked them or not, they all had that.

Though Guild Wars did have a shitty storyline and character development. I really hated that game. Blarg.

The cool thing about an MMO is that you're not locked onto the storyline. Using SWG as an example (because that's what I play at the moment), I can start at level 1 and follow the main story arc up through level 50. Even if you know what you're doing, it takes several days of constant play to finish the Legacy quest chain. From there, you have a very good grip on your class, your play style, great storyline that breaks off in different directions, etc. However, you don't even HAVE to follow that storyline. You can go do whatever you want. If you want to finish Legacy, great. If you want to join a faction and hop into space and do nothing but Jump To Lightspeed and completely ignore the ground aspect of the game, you can. If you want to be a badge whore and go badge hunting until you have all 400 (?) badges, then go for it.

It's about having a choice on what to do in a much larger reality than what you'd get with an offline game.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

The whole thing that made KotOR great was feeling as if you were a great jedi with whom no one could mess with and the world was yours to manipulate. None of this is possible in an MMO.

I see the main reason for why you don't see uber powerful characters in MMO's [or they get nerfed into oblivion like the jedi did in SWG] - there is no "maturity" requirement for this ability in an MMO other than making someone do a gozillion quests. Any nutjob monkey can follow a quest - and I don't think you'd want some nutjob in his underwear running around doing whatever he wants in an MMO [South Park World of Warcraft episode] because 99.9% of the population wouldn't have any fun [the nutjob would just run around killing people].

I think the devs can pull off something interesting considering what Blizzard did in the WOTLK - "phasing" - how the area looks depends upon if or what quest you're currently doing. Imagine taking this a step further and making nearly everything "phased" [to a point] along with some real consequences for your actions [none of the carebear stuff either - we're talking permadeath].

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: fivetiger

KT

Say 4 hours per week minimum, that's around 20 hours per month, which means $0.75 hour. It's $12 for a theatre movie here, about $5 or so to rent one, $2.50-$5 for a cup of coffee, heck even $0.99 for a pizza slice (the crappy stuff), so $0.75/hour to play WoW seems like a steal to me.

It would if you enjoyed it evenly throughout the experience, but diminishing returns sets in like it does with every game (economically speaking, every thing). That $15/mo may be worth it early on, but after 6 months of doing the same crap it starts to wear thin. I played UT2k4 for about a year, which of course has free multiplayer, and the first 6 months were insanely fun, and the latter I started playing a lot less frequently as repetition began to kill it. How people stick with an mmo for years is beyond me. But hey, WOW finances Diablo and Starcraft so more power to ya :)

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: jonks

It would if you enjoyed it evenly throughout the experience, but diminishing returns sets in like it does with every game (economically speaking, every thing). That $15/mo may be worth it early on, but after 6 months of doing the same crap it starts to wear thin. I played UT2k4 for about a year, which of course has free multiplayer, and the first 6 months were insanely fun, and the latter I started playing a lot less frequently as repetition began to kill it. How people stick with an mmo for years is beyond me. But hey, WOW finances Diablo and Starcraft so more power to ya :)

As you said, that happens with anything. I can't imagine I'll be playing this game for years as I very rarely do that with any game, but in the meantime the cost is very minimal for a relatively enjoyable experience.

KT

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: jonks

As you said, that happens with anything. I can't imagine I'll be playing this game for years as I very rarely do that with any game, but in the meantime the cost is very minimal for a relatively enjoyable experience.

KT

It's pretty easy to play an MMO for years, especially as developers keep adding on new content and there is always better equipment and/or spells to get. I played EQ for 5 years before finally getting tired of what it had become.