Bioware announces new Star Wars: Old Republic game

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: nanobreath
Bioware didn't actually develop kotor2 if I'm remembering correctly. Of course I've slept (several times) since then, so I could be remembering wrong.

Obsidian Entertainment made KotOR2, it was butchered when Lucas Arts forced them to ship it long before it was ready. Lucas Arts therefore forced them to cut an entire chapter from the game in order to make the deadline and they had no time to polish it.

Some people are working to restore the content (IE finish the last chapter that was cut, Obsidian was nice enough to include what they had on the CDs even though it was not implemented) with the KotOR Restoration Project, I thought it was vapor ware until someone leaked beta 7 (I did not download it, hell, I have never even played kotOR2, was going to acquire it once the restoration project was finished so I could play it in a more finished form).

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
Originally posted by: Bateluer
Because they are owned by EA now. Because the EA greed will affect them. Because their last few games were among the shortest games out there.

I wonder how many activations will get with SWTOR?

I agree with this partially. I'm waiting to see how EA fucks this up. Kind of like how they forced Warhammer out the door with a shit load of cut content just so they could get a head start on the WoW expansion.

Also, I hope it was sarcasm, but MMO's are traditionally linked to a single account and won't work offline, so there's no need for activations :p

Om51

Dec 30, 2004
KOTOR was great but Mass effect is better , KOTOR 2 is one of the worst games I ever played .

I'm waiting for Mass effect II

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Originally posted by: Om51
KOTOR was great but Mass effect is better , KOTOR 2 is one of the worst games I ever played .

Really? Other than the ending, KoTOR 2 was IMO better that 1. I loved the ability to customize your weapons/armor really expensively, and the new feats/powers were a lot of fun. I liked how the conversations with party members were a lot more in-depth than KOTOR 1 as well - the influence system was really cool. And you could become a lot more powerful in KOTOR 2 than 1. By the end of the game at the Academy I wasn't even fighting with my lightsaber. As enemies ran at me I just hit them with Insanity/Wave/Crush (and I was a guardian-marauder).

Mass Effect does kick ass, though. I'm playing it right now and it's just so awesome. I like how you have quite a bit more freedom than in KOTOR. And there's just something awesome about being a marine with force powers. Can you imagine that in real life?

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Originally posted by: ConstipatedVigilante

Really? Other than the ending, KoTOR 2 was IMO better that 1. I loved the ability to customize your weapons/armor really expensively, and the new feats/powers were a lot of fun. I liked how the conversations with party members were a lot more in-depth than KOTOR 1 as well - the influence system was really cool. And you could become a lot more powerful in KOTOR 2 than 1. By the end of the game at the Academy I wasn't even fighting with my lightsaber. As enemies ran at me I just hit them with Insanity/Wave/Crush (and I was a guardian-marauder).

Mass Effect does kick ass, though. I'm playing it right now and it's just so awesome. I like how you have quite a bit more freedom than in KOTOR.

Yeah I don't understand why Kotor 2 gets hammered so much. It was really a great game. Unfortunately it followed a greater game and expectations were set that much higher.

Anyway, I'm really not interested in the MMO version of this world. I would much rather have many more single player titles in the same vein as KOTOR 1&2. Perhaps they could do episodic content like Half Life and monetize it that way. Sure it's no WoW but I doubt anyone but Blizzard will be able to dent that game.

natebigdawg

Jul 21, 2008
I have only played MMO's begining earlier this year with LOTRO and have loved it since. Having two lifetime subscriptions with my wife also playing by my side has been a blast.

When it comes to my favirote RPG thus far, Baludr's Gate and KOTRO I are definately the best. Knights has definately had the best story of all time. I have Mass Effect which is also a good game but i have yet to finish it after not touching it for about 6 months.

I really think that if this MMO can pull off the concept of actually making decisions in the game as a critical part of the experience, they will have a very unique game which might not nessecarily overtake MMO's like WoW but draw a new audience of MMO players who love engaging storylines. That is one thing that an MMO can offer over it's single player counterpart is an even more massive scale which helps add to a more realistic feel. Oblivon did a good job with this but it really felt like wandering around a national park and it being too non-linear for my tastes.(Too easily distracted)

LOTRO caught me in its hooks because of a lifetime subscription which made more sense economically rather than an ongoing rental of a game. I feel like I truly own the game now and am guarenteed replayabilty for years to come. I would have loved to have been able to play through KOTRO I in multiplayer similiar to BG II but this will definately be a game to look into

Lumathix

Golden Member
Mar 16, 2004
Originally posted by: JohnAn2112
Please be better than SWG! :)

Pre-CU was a very deep, engrossing game.
Post-CU was a bunch of crap.

If this game will turn out like Pre-CU SWG, it would be cool, but I seriously doubt it will, considering all MMO's since then have been very very dumbed down to appeal to a wider ranger of....ahem....gamers.

Om51

Dec 30, 2004
Originally posted by: ConstipatedVigilante

Mass Effect does kick ass, though. I'm playing it right now and it's just so awesome. I like how you have quite a bit more freedom than in KOTOR. And there's just something awesome about being a marine with force powers. Can you imagine that in real life?

I thought the story was .......... in kotor2 , though I liked some missions and I agree with what did you say about the new things in kotor2 .

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Beev
Because they are owned by EA now. Because the EA greed will affect them. Because their last few games were among the shortest games out there.

Also, I hope it was sarcasm, but MMO's are traditionally linked to a single account and won't work offline, so there's no need for activations :p

Bioshock was broken in a week or two all others afterwards in a few hours what "need" are activations fulfilling? I can see a slim chance of them using them. Want to play the character you put 100 days played into? Well, you reached your install limit you'll have to buy a fresh "license" to have it up and running on your computer again.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
I have no interest in MMOs, at all. Yet if there was one that could get me to even investigate the genre, this'd be it. Good luck to them, I'll wait and see.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
If they design this MMO to play just like KOTOR, except it's an MMO I don't' see how it could be successful.

Kromis

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2006
Originally posted by: lupi
If they design this MMO to play just like KOTOR, except it's an MMO I don't' see how it could be successful.

I just don't wanna pay to play :(

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
Are you guys shitting me? this is the biggest announcement since they Announced Ultima Online in 1995..
this is going to be the one and only game that has a shot at some of WoWs audience.

Bioware is an amazing company.. and having known several of them playing in other MMOs they know what works and what doesn't.

this could be huge.. and putting it in this time frame means there were a ton of Jedi in the world still so that opens up alot of fun things in the story line with Jedis.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
As much as I'm actually looking forward to this game, it isn't going to touch WoW. The only people who know about Biowares awesomeness are us real gamers. The game doesn't have a chance against WoW, but I bet it does pretty well and steals what few people are still playing SWG.

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Beev
As much as I'm actually looking forward to this game, it isn't going to touch WoW. The only people who know about Biowares awesomeness are us real gamers. The game doesn't have a chance against WoW, but I bet it does pretty well and steals what few people are still playing SWG.

All 63 of them

:laugh:

zerodeefex

Jan 31, 2004
Originally posted by: Zeppelin2282
Whats with all the crying? FUCKING BIOWARE IS MAKING THIS GAME!!!

I would be hesitant if any other company were making this as an MMO, but Bioware has proved themselves time and time again. This MMO is going to be awesome.

They've said there will be more story content than EVERY game they've put out so far COMBINED: BG1, 2 expansions, NWN 1,2 expansions, KOTOR1, 2, jade empire, mass effect and possibly a couple others like sonic dark brotherhood ;) I doubt the game will be short or lacking in content when they've had 12 writers working for YEARS.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Well that sucks. KOTOR 3 single player would have been a lot better. Have zero interest and will not buy.