Bioshock What a game

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: pontifex
Originally posted by: apoppin

specifically:

Originally posted by: HardWarrior
One thing to consider when offering an intellectual critique of a game: Depending on how your ?review? is worded, it?s natural for the casual reader to assume that he?s being categorized as mentally deficient if he doesn?t agree with your assessment.

Y0U are the one who like BS for the "art" and music" and are willing to overlook *everything else* for your silly fixation on your era of artsy superficiality
- i gave my reasons why it is a 7/10 instead of a 10/10 and all you can do is attempt to ridicule :p
:roll:

not to keep this argument going because its beyond retarded at this point, but you were the one that said "some of you are easily impressed" meaning we're dumb for liking the game. i'm not sure there's any other way to take this.

yes, i DID say "some of you are easily impressed"

it's true ... let me give a FEW examples

Bioshock- I can't impress upon you enough how much the gfx mean to me in this game.

And the music... Hell it's worth it just to hear Bobby Darin sing Beyond The Sea

It is such a beautiful game, the graphics are stunning.

easily impressed imo, yes ... ... but it does NOT mean that 'easily impressed' = 'stupid'

if that's *all* - a single statement and opinion from me - you guys are picking on - you nitpickers need to get a real life:p

:D
--now pick on that statement :roll:

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Originally posted by: Regs
Some one here also likes STALKER more than Bioshock but I won't name him.

As a game I thought stalker was a better concept than Bioshock. My two biggest complaint with bioshock are the way it handles death and the lack of consequence when choices are made (since in the end you end up with all abilities anyways). Both of these are 'dumb down' mechanics which have become more common (esp as console game sage have gone up).

The actual production and implementation were better in Bioshock but these are mechanical aspects of the game. As to the story - well stalker lost a bit in the translation so I'm not sure if the comparison would be fair. The presentation was much better in bioshock. Just a pitty they had to dumb the game down to such an extreme.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Originally posted by: exdeath
Back to the open ended vs. linear perspective.

Example of the correlation between linearity and the games ability to hook a player:

I got hooked on Final Fantasy II (IVj) the first time I played it in the first 5-10 mins and couldn't put the controller down until it was over.

Oblivion had me bored before the intro level was finish and I really didn't feel like playing anymore by the time I got outside for the first time.

Comments?

Oblivion was also a dumb down game (also I never liked morrowind/oblivion character development because (like bioshock) after you play a while every character is identical - but oblivion organization/presentation was (imho) some what poor. Yes it had pretty graphics and you had a large number of 'quests' you could complete but the story aspect was (almost) totally void and/or horribly dilluted.

I.e, I found oblivion pretty but boring.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: you2

As a game I thought stalker was a better concept than Bioshock. My two biggest complaint with bioshock are the way it handles death and the lack of consequence when choices are made (since in the end you end up with all abilities anyways). Both of these are 'dumb down' mechanics which have become more common (esp as console game sage have gone up).

The actual production and implementation were better in Bioshock but these are mechanical aspects of the game. As to the story - well stalker lost a bit in the translation so I'm not sure if the comparison would be fair. The presentation was much better in bioshock. Just a pitty they had to dumb the game down to such an extreme.

can you explain this lack of consequence? i keep seeing people talk about this in various games. what exactly do you want to happen? do you want it to force you to start the game over from the beginning, as the exact same person you were before? maybe just the level?

it's a game. if you want consequences, play real life.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005

can you explain this lack of consequence? i keep seeing people talk about this in various games. what exactly do you want to happen? do you want it to force you to start the game over from the beginning, as the exact same person you were before? maybe just the level?

I think he means that the consequences of either saving or killing the LS's should be more clearly defined. Basically, there is no penalty or advantage for choosing either as you will eventually end up with the same powers.

This is one criticism I would agree with, I would have liked to see a different end game depending on your choice. For instance, the LS's still help you even if you've been killing them the entire time. Sure they are afraid of you once you reach Tenenbaum's little sanctum but that's it, everything plays out exactly the same.

That being said, the "bad" ending is good and the "good" ending is absolutely terrible.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

when you "die" there should be *some penalty* ... not as a means to simply continue the battle; when you are resurrected it is with full strength and your enemy NPCs are weakened by your previous battle
--dying thus becomes part of the strategy ... weaken the Boss with a frontal attack, die, resurrect and continue ... definitely a dumbed-down "feature" of many console games now. :p

the ending - although poorly done [imo] - probably was intentional as it fits in well with your lack of even illusion of choice philosophy

i am glad to see other gamers here are recognizing that BS is flawed and certainly not a 10/10

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

when you "die" there should be *some penalty* ... not as a means to simply continue the battle; when you are resurrected it is with full strength and your enemy NPCs are weakened by your previous battle
--dying thus becomes part of the strategy ... weaken the Boss with a frontal attack, die, resurrect and continue ... definitely a dumbed-down "feature" of many console games now. :p

the ending - although poorly done [imo] - probably was intentional as it fits in well with your lack of even illusion of choice philosophy

i am glad to see other gamers here are recognizing that BS is flawed and certainly not a 10/10

but what do you guys want as a penalty?

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
Waiting for either a Playstation 3 version or for them to purge Sony's SecuROM pseudorootkit from the PC version myself before picking it up, whichever occurs first and I look forward to playing it!

Steam?

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: homercles337
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
Waiting for either a Playstation 3 version or for them to purge Sony's SecuROM pseudorootkit from the PC version myself before picking it up, whichever occurs first and I look forward to playing it!

Steam?

The steam version is protected (infected) with Sony's SecuROM (and the software activation) as well:)

Apparently the publishers of Bioshock do not think steam is enough.

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Originally posted by: apoppini wasn't sure what your intent was either as you posted right after i did... However, you should also be aware that my statements aren't directed at anyone in particular.

Please don't try to bullsh1t me, apoppin.

then don't try it first on me :p

... and i feel so "exposed" for not loving BS like some of you guys apparently do.

For a person who?s burdened with all human knowledge, and doesn?t care what anyone thinks of him, you sure are sensitive. You said yourself that you aren?t the only poster in this thread who?s inflicted with ?I?m the God of games!? syndrome. If I wanted to address you directly I would have, and it?s just that simple.

Show me where I even came close to saying that I give a damn whether or not you like BioShock, OR tried to bullsh1t you. If this isn't possible, and it isn't, perhaps a bit of introspection is in order.
You are addressing me directly and have been for a large part of this thread

perhaps a more than a 'bit' of introspection is in order for you

specifically:

One thing to consider when offering an intellectual critique of a game: Depending on how your ?review? is worded, it?s natural for the casual reader to assume that he?s being categorized as mentally deficient if he doesn?t agree with your assessment.

Y0U are the one who like BS for the "art" and music" and are willing to overlook *everything else* for your silly fixation on your era of artsy superficiality
- i gave my reasons why it is a 7/10 instead of a 10/10 and all you can do is attempt to ridicule :p

There's something seriously wrong with you, dude. You're seeing offense where none was offered, and arguing with statements I never made. IMO, you need a big, fat dose of mod love.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: apoppini wasn't sure what your intent was either as you posted right after i did... However, you should also be aware that my statements aren't directed at anyone in particular.

Please don't try to bullsh1t me, apoppin.

then don't try it first on me :p

... and i feel so "exposed" for not loving BS like some of you guys apparently do.

For a person who?s burdened with all human knowledge, and doesn?t care what anyone thinks of him, you sure are sensitive. You said yourself that you aren?t the only poster in this thread who?s inflicted with ?I?m the God of games!? syndrome. If I wanted to address you directly I would have, and it?s just that simple.

Show me where I even came close to saying that I give a damn whether or not you like BioShock, OR tried to bullsh1t you. If this isn't possible, and it isn't, perhaps a bit of introspection is in order.
You are addressing me directly and have been for a large part of this thread

perhaps a more than a 'bit' of introspection is in order for you

specifically:

There's something seriously wrong with you, dude. You're seeing offense where none was offered, and arguing with statements I never made. IMO, you need a big, fat dose of mod love.

Not so strangely, that is *exactly* how i feel about your posts in this thread :p

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
That?s because you aren?t just irretrievably ignorant, but you lack any sign of real creativity, you pompous jackass.