Bioshock What a game

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
Originally posted by: idiotekniQues
people expect groundbreaking new weapons. i mean wtf do u expect, seriously?

it is a shooter, people are like OMG MUST HAVE CRAZY REVOLUTIONARY WEAPONS. please, present some of those cool weapons. OMG MUST REVOLUTIONIZE FPS.

do new cars revolutionize cars? no, but they do what cars do more refined and better and just good.

crysis so far for me, while wonderful, is not as immersive as bioshock. i played far cry already, crysis is just far cry so far but prettier, and i love it. bioshock is another world however.

I don't expect new weapons, never said I did. One of Bioshock's selling points was this "plasmid" feature, and I say big deal ... it wasn't that interesting, or original, or fun... slightly altered repackaged spells/modable weapons/whatever ... not bad, but not a selling point either.

If Bioshock's story had been better I think it would have been an awesome game, but I thought the story was uninspired, unengaging crap, presented in a way that was NOT, NOT immersive. Pacing was dull.

Crysis actually, while not even story-centric as its main feature, was a far more thrilling ride.

I never even finished Bioshock and I regret buying it.

idiotekniQues

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2007
Originally posted by: apoppin
Originally posted by: lxskllr
It gets a 10/10 from me. The game play's ok, but nothing that different from other games. What I like about it is the retro art deco styling. That, and the vintage music make it a must have for me. If it gets remade in any other style than this one, I won't get it, but I'll be pre ordering if it's more of the same. I had some bad problems recently do to the DRM, but the art makes it worth all of the trouble.

so a "pretty package" and music makes all the difference for you?

:Q

who is going to remake BS? it is a cheap ripoff remake of SS2
:confused:

- all you can expect is an Expansion with more of the same ... and probably the return of the real Fiend Ryan
- when it is $10 even i will probably pick it up

In this case it does. I couldn't care less about the gameplay with this game. I'd be happy to have a fully restored Rapture to wander through and take screenshots. The desktops I'd have would be worth $30 from that alone. The average gameplay is just icing on the cake. This game is a work of art. Actually playing the game is secondary to enjoying the atmosphere.

interesting ... perhaps that is what the reviewers liked ... the game is otherwise very average for a FPS

the atmosphere of bioshock was just killer. let's face it, most shooters are mostly linear, what separates most shooters these days is just pulling it off well.
BS is extremely linear ... try doing something out of order :p
- and they *don't* pull it off well. It is a short easy game with irritating PDA entries [unlike SS2]

I thought the story was great.

What story?

some insane jerk-off builds an impossible city underwater with a lot of unstable residents and doctors from Nazi death camps? How?
The entire world is unaware of it and they have a "magic" substance that only screws up most users

BS is a mess of a story with philosophical "pretensions" that attempt to take on Ann Rynd ... unfortunately the devs probably can't even comprehend her philosophy let alone attack it.
:thumbsdown:

it isn't me that is comparing BS to SS2 ... the Devs are attempting to make that comparison. There is no comparison. SS2 was a classic and a great game in its day. BS is a barely average shooter.

some of you guys are impressed rather easily
rose.gif

:D

i think you are a self-impressed pompous ass

you seriously sound like a ridiculous intellectual princess

a personal attack when you run out of things to say or fail to formulate a convincing argument:p

you sound like a little kid

no wonder you like something so shallow

yes because saying we all are impressed rather easily is not a thinly-veiled personal attack. i have said much of substance about this game in this thread and proposed questions about the criticisms, but you have yet to respone - so it is about time somebody called your idiocy out.

keep talkin, you reveal your pompousness in spades with each word you type.

'oh noess this has an unrealistic underwater society premise, it is so terrible.'

(hint: guaranteed if this was an ultra-realistic game you would rail against how it has been done before) you are just some self-impressed quasi-intellectual who just wants to bitch abotu anything with some big words you learned in school.

please respond, your ridiculousness is rather evident and the more you type the more we can enjoy your bs and snicker

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
It gets a 10/10 from me. The game play's ok, but nothing that different from other games. What I like about it is the retro art deco styling. That, and the vintage music make it a must have for me. If it gets remade in any other style than this one, I won't get it, but I'll be pre ordering if it's more of the same. I had some bad problems recently do to the DRM, but the art makes it worth all of the trouble.

- all you can expect is an Expansion with more of the same ... and probably the return of the real Fiend Ryan

In this case it does. I couldn't care less about the gameplay with this game. I'd be happy to have a fully restored Rapture to wander through and take screenshots. The desktops I'd have would be worth $30 from that alone. The average gameplay is just icing on the cake. This game is a work of art. Actually playing the game is secondary to enjoying the atmosphere.

interesting ... perhaps that is what the reviewers liked ... the game is otherwise very average for a FPS

the atmosphere of bioshock was just killer. let's face it, most shooters are mostly linear, what separates most shooters these days is just pulling it off well.
- and they *don't* pull it off well. It is a short easy game with irritating PDA entries [unlike SS2]

What story?

some insane jerk-off builds an impossible city underwater with a lot of unstable residents and doctors from Nazi death camps? How?
The entire world is unaware of it and they have a "magic" substance that only screws up most users

BS is a mess of a story with philosophical "pretensions" that attempt to take on Ann Rynd ... unfortunately the devs probably can't even comprehend her philosophy let alone attack it.

it isn't me that is comparing BS to SS2 ... the Devs are attempting to make that comparison. There is no comparison. SS2 was a classic and a great game in its day. BS is a barely average shooter.

rose.gif

a personal attack when you run out of things to say or fail to formulate a convincing argument:p

yes because saying we all are impressed rather easily is not a thinly-veiled personal attack.

please respond, your ridiculousness is rather evident and the more you type the more we can enjoy your bs and snicker
what "we all" and where do i "keep saying" it? :p)

Some of you are impressed rather easily ... so what? ... that is fact
- how you make a personal attack out of it is a testament to your own "ridiculousness"; otoh, you made a personal attack - perhaps a mod can explain the difference to you

Enjoy your BS ... to each his own ... the consolers also evidently loved it ...
:roll:

idiotekniQues

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2007

What story?

rose.gif

yes because saying we all are impressed rather easily is not a thinly-veiled personal attack.

some of you are impressed rather easily ... so what? ... that is fact
- how you make a personal attack out of it is a testament to your own "ridiculousness"

enjoy your BS ... to each his own ... the consolers also evidently loved it ...

that is fact? that is your way of saying 'oh the simpletons'

instead of trying to beat around the bush like you did, i simply exposed your pompous ass for what it is.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

What story?

rose.gif

- how you make a personal attack out of it is a testament to your own "ridiculousness"

instead of trying to beat around the bush like you did, i simply exposed your pompous ass for what it is.

i guess that is your best try ... you are not very good at it

what "we all" and where do i "keep saying" it? )

- how you make a personal attack out of it is a testament to your own "ridiculousness"; otoh, you made a personal attack - perhaps a mod can explain the difference to you

idiotekniQues

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2007

What story?

rose.gif

you have not responded to much of the substance i have posted in this thread, simply because when somebody calls you out for what you say, you would rather skirt around the issue and be a coward and instead cry 'oh noess somebody kinda called me a name on the interwebs, let me cry about it to the mods'

you are what i said you were. and exactly that.

please, let me run to the store to buy you some kleenex to wipe your keyboard with.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

you have not responded to much of the substance i have posted in this thread, simply because when somebody calls you out for what you say, you would rather skirt around the issue and be a coward and instead cry 'oh noess somebody kinda called me a name on the interwebs, let me cry about it to the mods'

you are what i said you were. and exactly that.

please, let me run to the store to buy you some kleenex to wipe your keyboard with.
i couldn't find any substance in your BS' posts to respond to
--please .. remind me what point you were making beside that you didn't like mine

i'd suggest you take your own advice and use Kleenix to wipe something of your own. ;)
--i *never* call the mods for any personal attack made on me

digiram

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2004
I don't care what anybody says. Bioshock is contender for GOTY, and the best single player FPS that I've played since Deus Ex. How's that crap????

idiotekniQues

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2007

perhaps a mod can explain the difference to you

wahhhhhhh! sniffle sniffle!

if you are too lazy or incompetent to respond to what i wrote in the thread, more power to your pompousness. now my posts are bullshit, but oh how you cry about personal attacks.

seriously, you are just a little amusing rhetorical elf with no substance

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

perhaps a mod can explain the difference to you

wahhhhhhh! sniffle sniffle!

if you are too lazy or incompetent to respond to what i wrote in the thread, more power to your pompousness. now my posts are bullshit, but oh how you cry about personal attacks.

seriously, you are just a little amusing rhetorical elf with no substance

i just don't take you seriously since you have no clue understanding my posts at all - IF you even bother to read them except to look for something that offends you
--What have you posted of substance that invites a serious reply? ... all your rather incoherent ramblings say is that you like it and were "immersed" better than with Crysis. You also say you are willing to overlook its [obvious] flaws in your poorly chosen "car analogy" :p

*you* are the one saying your posts are bullshit ... and the only one in this thread who stoops to personal attacks when he has zero to contribute to the thread or his "argument"

EDITED

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Bioshock's only fault is having to be held to the standards of a juggernaut such as SS2.

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004

It should be okay for a person to like a games atmosphere, yes? For me, BioShock's "feel" coupled with the gun-model and plasmids makes the game unique and very playable.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

What story?

rose.gif

i guess i shouldn't worry too much about this, coming from a guy who loves Hellgate: London. :D

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: HardWarrior

It should be okay for a person to like a games atmosphere, yes? For me, BioShock's "feel" coupled with the gun-model and plasmids makes the game unique and very playable.

yes, it IS ok to love a game for atmosphere ... i asked you for clarification and i got it ... i agree with you - there are some games that you just "like"; and yeah, the game is quite "playable" ... i finished it over a long weekend

Originally posted by: pontifex

i guess i shouldn't worry too much about this, coming from a guy who loves Hellgate: London. :D

you should *never* worry about someone's opinion even if it differs from yours ... i gave a few of my reasons why i did not care much for BS - i said it is a "decent shooter" ... but nothing like the hype-machine makes it out to be

*you* also are "famous" here for disliking popular games :p

... as to Hg:L, i do NOT *love* the game ... i liked it initially a lot ... after a careful consideration - after completing it twice - i gave it a very similar score to BS
rose.gif

7/10

--good but flawed ;)
-- and since i never played it's "spiritual predecessor" Diablo2 - except for the demo - i can't compare.

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
One thing to consider when offering an intellectual critique of a game: Depending on how your ?review? is worded, it?s natural for the casual reader to assume that he?s being categorized as mentally deficient if he doesn?t agree with your assessment.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
One thing to consider when offering an intellectual critique of a game: Depending on how your ?review? is worded, it?s natural for the casual reader to assume that he?s being categorized as mentally deficient if he doesn?t agree with your assessment.

i no longer care what posters "read into" my "reviews" :p

it is my opinion of BS and it needs no defense

the casual reader may well remember that a-s-s is the first part in "assuming"

ask for clarification if 'you' [or anyone] feel offended ;)

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004

i no longer care what posters "read into" my "reviews" :p

it is my opinion of BS and it needs no defense

ask for clarification if 'you' [or anyone] feel offended ;)

I'm not quite sure what your intent here is, considering the liberal use of "happy" emotes in your reply. However, you should be aware that my statement wasn't directed at anyone in particular.

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Originally posted by: rodrigu3
all this over a game...

With all due respect, you must be new to posting online if you're surprised. Moreover, lots of people take their gaming very seriously.

T2k

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Mem
Well overrated ,I give it 7/10 at most,boring most part of the game ,can't see how anybody can say its awesome,guess they have not played any real games before .
agreed

it is a dumbed-down and very shameless rip-off of SystemShock2 with confused philosophical pretensions
- BS are it's very apt initials

Uhhh, si tacuisses philosophus mansisses... :roll:

FYI: if I were you I would rather remain silent but at least tone down when it's pretty obvious you have no clue where Bioshock's "pretensions" are coming from...

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: rodrigu3
all this over a game...

With all due respect, you must be new to posting online if you're suprised. Moreover, lots of people take their gaming very seriously.

I dunno these are the same arguments we've had over and over again about this game, mainly from the same people. Some folks just consider it an affront to humanity that many people like this game and feel the need to express it each and every time a thread is created about Bioshock.

Welcome to AT Mr. Rodrigu3.

T2k

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
Originally posted by: TheVrolok
Originally posted by: TheVrolok
Originally posted by: Inspector Jihad
its a popular game so there are some trendy people who don't like it just for that.

I played it from start to finish,it took me 3 hours to get online activation due to their servers being overloaded,when I buy a retail game I expect to be able to play it straight away,not nextweek or 3 hours later,pirates have an easier time then gamers like myself that always buy games legally.

Gameplay wise there was nothing new ,few mobs here and there also sound was nothing special, nothing great about the exploring part,graphics were ok but nothing that made me go wow!!!...as to story I did not really enjoy it to be honest and game length wise was not that long(good for me you could say).

Yet reviewers and people give it 10/10 lol sorry I got to laugh,yes its my opinion only but at least I played it from start to finish and have played many great games in the pass,end of the day it did not live up to my expectations and some of the others agree with me as well.

Its not in my top 40 list and never will be,you could say one of the most disappointing games I have ever purchased.

What IS in your top 40 tho? Sometimes I prefer games not in many people's top 40.

BG,BG2,Deus Ex,The Witcher,KOTOR ,Undying etc....I think you get the idea.

Pretty good list there, aside from Deus Ex (and that's arguable I suppose) though they're very different games than Bioshock. Who knows though. You've pretty much listed some of my top 20 games as well (minus The Witcher which I haven't had a chance to play yet) so who knows what I'll think of Bioshock. Waiting for my new system around Dec to play The Witcher/Bioshock/Crysis.

BioShock does not fit on any list of great games :p

it is a very average shooter with pseudo-philosophical pretensions and a moronic plot that sink it; it is not a bad game by any means but the reviewers who gave it a ten are either stupid or sheepie hype-swallowers themselves

A modern FPS that *destroys* BioShock in every way is Riddick:EfBB ... SystemShock2 is TEN times better and at least you had to make *real choices* not the pseudo-choice crap in BS that leads to the same linear stuck-on-rails ending no matter what way you choose or play. There is also no challenge in this game. Just die and come back without penalty to keep right on fighting now-weakened enemies

Stalker is a Waay better game [despite its faults] and at least IS a true RPG/FPS hybred with choices; DeuSex, VtMB are really what BS *claims* to be.

BioShock is BullShit

It's so clueless - it's PRICELESS! :D

T2k

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004

You mean WRT to assuming anything about you or your reviews...? ;):D

gizbug

Platinum Member
May 14, 2001
They ever going to release the patch for this game? Getting tired of waiting for months upon months.