Bioshock What a game

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: TheVrolok
Originally posted by: Mem
Originally posted by: Inspector Jihad
its a popular game so there are some trendy people who don't like it just for that.

I played it from start to finish,it took me 3 hours to get online activation due to their servers being overloaded,when I buy a retail game I expect to be able to play it straight away,not nextweek or 3 hours later,pirates have an easier time then gamers like myself that always buy games legally.

Gameplay wise there was nothing new ,few mobs here and there also sound was nothing special, nothing great about the exploring part,graphics were ok but nothing that made me go wow!!!...as to story I did not really enjoy it to be honest and game length wise was not that long(good for me you could say).

Yet reviewers and people give it 10/10 lol sorry I got to laugh,yes its my opinion only but at least I played it from start to finish and have played many great games in the pass,end of the day it did not live up to my expectations and some of the others agree with me as well.

Its not in my top 40 list and never will be,you could say one of the most disappointing games I have ever purchased.

What IS in your top 40 tho? Sometimes I prefer games not in many people's top 40.

BG,BG2,Deus Ex,The Witcher,KOTOR ,Undying etc....I think you get the idea.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: apoppin
Well overrated ,I give it 7/10 at most,boring most part of the game ,can't see how anybody can say its awesome,guess they have not played any real games before .
agreed

it is a dumbed-down and very shameless rip-off of SystemShock2 with confused philosophical pretensions
- BS are it's very apt initials

It was very good, and if it weren't dumbed down, it would have been so much better. It gives a nice illusion of freedom, but is pretty linear once you look past the ability to back track. In ripping System Shock 2 off, they left out a lot of the important stuff.

I haven't replayed it once and it's already off my hard drive unfortunately.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
The game clearly (well clear to me) was dumb'ed down to an extreme.Also there was very little in the way of choice or balance - pretty much you all end up the same at the end - hence the gaming mechanics were pretty poor (imho). However, if you viewed it as an interactive story (ridrick would be another example) then I think the production was well done. I did not esp love the story as presented but I recognized the effort and overall attempt. One of the problem with games like these is they have little replay value - might do it a second time but generally speaking the story been told and there is little in teh way of decisions or approach to bring you back more than once of twice. Great for the game company....

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
its a popular game so there are some trendy people who don't like it just for that.

I played it from start to finish,it took me 3 hours to get online activation due to their servers being overloaded,when I buy a retail game I expect to be able to play it straight away,not nextweek or 3 hours later,pirates have an easier time then gamers like myself that always buy games legally.

Gameplay wise there was nothing new ,few mobs here and there also sound was nothing special, nothing great about the exploring part,graphics were ok but nothing that made me go wow!!!...as to story I did not really enjoy it to be honest and game length wise was not that long(good for me you could say).

Yet reviewers and people give it 10/10 lol sorry I got to laugh,yes its my opinion only but at least I played it from start to finish and have played many great games in the pass,end of the day it did not live up to my expectations and some of the others agree with me as well.

Its not in my top 40 list and never will be,you could say one of the most disappointing games I have ever purchased.

What IS in your top 40 tho? Sometimes I prefer games not in many people's top 40.

Pretty good list there, aside from Deus Ex (and that's arguable I suppose) though they're very different games than Bioshock. Who knows though. You've pretty much listed some of my top 20 games as well (minus The Witcher which I haven't had a chance to play yet) so who knows what I'll think of Bioshock. Waiting for my new system around Dec to play The Witcher/Bioshock/Crysis.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

Pretty good list there, aside from Deus Ex (and that's arguable I suppose) though they're very different games than Bioshock. Who knows though. You've pretty much listed some of my top 20 games as well (minus The Witcher which I haven't had a chance to play yet) so who knows what I'll think of Bioshock. Waiting for my new system around Dec to play The Witcher/Bioshock/Crysis.

BioShock does not fit on any list of great games :p

it is a very average shooter with pseudo-philosophical pretensions and a moronic plot that sink it; it is not a bad game by any means but the reviewers who gave it a ten are either stupid or sheepie hype-swallowers themselves
:thumbsdown:

A modern FPS that *destroys* BioShock in every way is Riddick:EfBB ... SystemShock2 is TEN times better and at least you had to make *real choices* not the pseudo-choice crap in BS that leads to the same linear stuck-on-rails ending no matter what way you choose or play. There is also no challenge in this game. Just die and come back without penalty to keep right on fighting now-weakened enemies

Stalker is a Waay better game [despite its faults] and at least IS a true RPG/FPS hybred with choices; DeuSex, VtMB are really what BS *claims* to be.

BioShock is BullShit

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
It gets a 10/10 from me. The game play's ok, but nothing that different from other games. What I like about it is the retro art deco styling. That, and the vintage music make it a must have for me. If it gets remade in any other style than this one, I won't get it, but I'll be pre ordering if it's more of the same. I had some bad problems recently do to the DRM, but the art makes it worth all of the trouble.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: lxskllr
It gets a 10/10 from me. The game play's ok, but nothing that different from other games. What I like about it is the retro art deco styling. That, and the vintage music make it a must have for me. If it gets remade in any other style than this one, I won't get it, but I'll be pre ordering if it's more of the same. I had some bad problems recently do to the DRM, but the art makes it worth all of the trouble.

so a "pretty package" and music makes all the difference for you?

:Q

who is going to remake BS? it is a cheap ripoff remake of SS2
:confused:

- all you can expect is an Expansion with more of the same ... and probably the return of the real Fiend Ryan
- when it is $10 even i will probably pick it up

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004

- all you can expect is an Expansion with more of the same ... and probably the return of the real Fiend Ryan

In this case it does. I couldn't care less about the gameplay with this game. I'd be happy to have a fully restored Rapture to wander through and take screenshots. The desktops I'd have would be worth $30 from that alone. The average gameplay is just icing on the cake. This game is a work of art. Actually playing the game is secondary to enjoying the atmosphere.

idiotekniQues

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2007
the atmosphere of bioshock was just killer. let's face it, most shooters are mostly linear, what separates most shooters these days is just pulling it off well.

bioshock did that for sure. creepy art-deco with a killer soundtrack and jsut a fargin cool wacky story, lil girls suckin shit out of dead bodies with needles, callin these things big daddies, i mean it was just a trip. cool weapons, good fights, the plasmids were a blast teamed with traditional weapons, and some fun battles. in the end, an all around good time.

definitely a must have game.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
It's alright. I get kinda bored fighting the same enemies over and over though (except for the big daddies, of course - killing one of those is a challenge).

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
The enviroment and atmosphere of the game was enthralling. Much better than most of today's first person shooters.

idiotekniQues

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2007
yah most haters seem to just have latched on to system shock two and cant get off from the fact that bioshock is related to it in ways.

i mean hello, the developers called it a 'spiritual successor' to it, and bioshock had developers for SS2 on the team.

let em cry, their own psychological block is causing them to miss out on an immersive experience.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

BioShock does not fit on any list of great games :p

it is a very average shooter with pseudo-philosophical pretensions and a moronic plot that sink it; it is not a bad game by any means but the reviewers who gave it a ten are either stupid or sheepie hype-swallowers themselves

A modern FPS that *destroys* BioShock in every way is Riddick:EfBB ... SystemShock2 is TEN times better and at least you had to make *real choices* not the pseudo-choice crap in BS that leads to the same linear stuck-on-rails ending no matter what way you choose or play. There is also no challenge in this game. Just die and come back without penalty to keep right on fighting now-weakened enemies

Stalker is a Waay better game [despite its faults] and at least IS a true RPG/FPS hybred with choices; DeuSex, VtMB are really what BS *claims* to be.

BioShock is BullShit

I thought the story was great.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Yes the producation value was high but the balance/mechanics were low (read dumb'ed down). Oops already said that. It wasn't a bad game just wasn't the greatest ....

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
It's only standout feature was that it was different, which is not necessarily a quality

Graphics were slightly above average for current games in some areas, below average in other areas

Gameplay wasn't that interesting. The plasmids thing wasn't that exciting. How many games have I played that have modable weapons of some variety? A lot. (Crysis, Oblivion)

Story? Not compelling, fairly low-brow treatment given to Ayn Rand's philosophical ideas (objectivism) Listening to the records was annoying to me also... kind of like the difference between listening to the radio and watching a movie, the movie tends to be more immersive.

What else is there? The big daddy's and little sisters were cool characters, but that's about it.

I was looking forward to Bioshock and Crysis (as well as a few more), I've played both, and Crysis was IMMENSELY superior in every area, and substantially more immersive. Bioshock's story was NOT that much more complex or original at all.

idiotekniQues

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2007
people expect groundbreaking new weapons. i mean wtf do u expect, seriously?

it is a shooter, people are like OMG MUST HAVE CRAZY REVOLUTIONARY WEAPONS. please, present some of those cool weapons. OMG MUST REVOLUTIONIZE FPS.

do new cars revolutionize cars? no, but they do what cars do more refined and better and just good.

crysis so far for me, while wonderful, is not as immersive as bioshock. i played far cry already, crysis is just far cry so far but prettier, and i love it. bioshock is another world however.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

In this case it does. I couldn't care less about the gameplay with this game. I'd be happy to have a fully restored Rapture to wander through and take screenshots. The desktops I'd have would be worth $30 from that alone. The average gameplay is just icing on the cake. This game is a work of art. Actually playing the game is secondary to enjoying the atmosphere.

interesting ... perhaps that is what the reviewers liked ... the game is otherwise very average for a FPS

the atmosphere of bioshock was just killer. let's face it, most shooters are mostly linear, what separates most shooters these days is just pulling it off well.
BS is extremely linear ... try doing something out of order :p
- and they *don't* pull it off well. It is a short easy game with irritating PDA entries [unlike SS2]

What story?

some insane jerk-off builds an impossible city underwater with a lot of unstable residents and doctors from Nazi death camps? How?
The entire world is unaware of it and they have a "magic" substance that only screws up most users

BS is a mess of a story with philosophical "pretensions" that attempt to take on Ann Rynd ... unfortunately the devs probably can't even comprehend her philosophy let alone attack it.

it isn't me that is comparing BS to SS2 ... the Devs are attempting to make that comparison. There is no comparison. SS2 was a classic and a great game in its day. BS is a barely average shooter.

some of you guys are impressed rather easily
rose.gif

:D

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
I think I should give this game a try on the PC, as I rented it on the 360 and found it quite unsatisfying for my PC FPS tastes...

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: potato28
I think I should give this game a try on the PC, as I rented it on the 360 and found it quite unsatisfying for my PC FPS tastes...

what is the difference? afaik, there are only minor difference between the PC and Xbox360 versions.

BS IS a console game :p

http://www.olgn.net/archives/b...nsole-game-of-all-time

2K Games, announced today that BioShock, secured the position of all-time top ranked Xbox 360 game and the year?s highest ranked game across all console platforms on Metacritic.com

idiotekniQues

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2007
Personal attacks violate forum policy
1) No trolling, flaming or personally attacking members. Deftly attacking ideas and backing up arguments with facts is acceptable and encouraged. Attacking other members personally and purposefully causing trouble with no motive other than to upset the crowd is not allowed.

Please be more careful in the future.

-Schadenfroh

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: idiotekniQues

interesting ... perhaps that is what the reviewers liked ... the game is otherwise very average for a FPS

BS is extremely linear ... try doing something out of order :p
- and they *don't* pull it off well. It is a short easy game with irritating PDA entries [unlike SS2]

What story?

some insane jerk-off builds an impossible city underwater with a lot of unstable residents and doctors from Nazi death camps? How?
The entire world is unaware of it and they have a "magic" substance that only screws up most users

BS is a mess of a story with philosophical "pretensions" that attempt to take on Ann Rynd ... unfortunately the devs probably can't even comprehend her philosophy let alone attack it.

it isn't me that is comparing BS to SS2 ... the Devs are attempting to make that comparison. There is no comparison. SS2 was a classic and a great game in its day. BS is a barely average shooter.

some of you guys are impressed rather easily
rose.gif

:D

i think you are a self-impressed pompous ass

you seriously sound like a ridiculous intellectual princess

a personal attack when you run out of things to say or fail to formulate a convincing argument:p

you sound like a little kid

no wonder you like something so shallow

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I don't really play most games for a challenge(that's what online UT2k4 is for ;)). I like them to be more like an interactive movie. As long as the gameplay isn't abysmal, stellar gfx and settings will win me over. Here's some of my favorite games and why I like them.

Doom- a classic, do I really need a reason :p

Wolfenstein series- Wolf3d took quite a bit of imagination, but I was in WWII Europe. The gfx in RTCW brought me even closer, with an extra helping of gloom. One of my all time favorite games.

MOHAA_ Again WWII Europe's a winner for me. It's not realism based, so I can enjoy the scenery without tedium of planning battles.

MAX PAYNE series- really sucked you into the story. I don't generally like 3rd person games, but these were great ones.

Half Life- I played this one after it's hey day, so gfx were sub par when I played it. The gameplay more than made up for the deficiencies in the gfx. This one is a classic, and HL2 didn't really come close to the former. I almost gave up on the HL franchise, but after receiving EP1 free with a gfx card, my interest has been renewed. I'll try EP2 to fully make up my mind.

Riddick RtBB- Great game. I picked this up from BigLots for $6 I think. That was probably the best $6 I've ever spent on computing. I don't know why this didn't get more recognition, but it was very fun.

MOH Airborne Assault- I've only played the demo, but I'll definitely be getting this when the price drops. WWII Europe again (starting to see a trend? ;)), NOW WITH EVEN BETTER GRAPHICS!!! :p

Bioshock- I can't impress upon you enough how much the gfx mean to me in this game. It has everything I like about modern society wrapped up in a single package. The art deco building style is the greatest modern design ever. I'm talking real life here, so it's great fun for me to wander around a game that includes it. Pop culture and advertising from the 50s. I love this stuff. And the music... Hell it's worth it just to hear Bobby Darin sing Beyond The Sea :) They blew some of the styling in the game. They borrowed from the 30s-50s, and you wouldn't have seen it mixed so thoroughly in real life. I'll let that slide though, it was a great era in American history.

In real life I listen to Big Band music, watch silent films, pick up books of old advertising from Barnes and Noble, and pore through them for hours on end. The 20s through the early 50s was the best of what America had to offer. We've been on a downward slope ever since. I like getting lost in the atmosphere of Rapture, because despite the leaking walls and splicers, that's the way I'd like my life to look ;)

BradAtWork

Sep 5, 2005
Originally posted by: BFG10K
I thought the game was great but nowhere near the orgasmic experience many reviewers make it out to be. I'd give it 8.5/10.

Yep.

Zappin a bad guy then hitting em with a wrech gets dull after the 10,000th time.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
I don't really play most games for a challenge(that's what online UT2k4 is for ;)). I like them to be more like an interactive movie. As long as the gameplay isn't abysmal, stellar gfx and settings will win me over. Here's some of my favorite games and why I like them.

Doom- a classic, do I really need a reason :p

Wolfenstein series- Wolf3d took quite a bit of imagination, but I was in WWII Europe. The gfx in RTCW brought me even closer, with an extra helping of gloom. One of my all time favorite games.

MOHAA_ Again WWII Europe's a winner for me. It's not realism based, so I can enjoy the scenery without tedium of planning battles.

MAX PAYNE series- really sucked you into the story. I don't generally like 3rd person games, but these were great ones.

Half Life- I played this one after it's hey day, so gfx were sub par when I played it. The gameplay more than made up for the deficiencies in the gfx. This one is a classic, and HL2 didn't really come close to the former. I almost gave up on the HL franchise, but after receiving EP1 free with a gfx card, my interest has been renewed. I'll try EP2 to fully make up my mind.

Riddick RtBB- Great game. I picked this up from BigLots for $6 I think. That was probably the best $6 I've ever spent on computing. I don't know why this didn't get more recognition, but it was very fun.

MOH Airborne Assault- I've only played the demo, but I'll definitely be getting this when the price drops. WWII Europe again (starting to see a trend? ;)), NOW WITH EVEN BETTER GRAPHICS!!! :p

Bioshock- I can't impress upon you enough how much the gfx mean to me in this game. It has everything I like about modern society wrapped up in a single package. The art deco building style is the greatest modern design ever. I'm talking real life here, so it's great fun for me to wander around a game that includes it. Pop culture and advertising from the 50s. I love this stuff. And the music... Hell it's worth it just to hear Bobby Darin sing Beyond The Sea :) They blew some of the styling in the game. They borrowed from the 30s-50s, and you wouldn't have seen it mixed so thoroughly in real life. I'll let that slide though, it was a great era in American history.

In real life I listen to Big Band music, watch silent films, pick up books of old advertising from Barnes and Noble, and pore through them for hours on end. The 20s through the early 50s was the best of what America had to offer. We've been on a downward slope ever since. I like getting lost in the atmosphere of Rapture, because despite the leaking walls and splicers, that's the way I'd like my life to look ;)

i agree with just about everything you said about your fav games (especially Riddick:EfBB) - except BioShock [and MoHAA which i never played]

i also see where we disagree ... if you actually lived that era it might not have been so appealing to you ;)
-- *the atmosphere*

BS' choked me :p