Bioshock PC Review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: VIAN
This is my last PC game review. I'm no longer into computers like I used to be, and I'm not wiling to pay $200+ for a new GPU when I have a perfectly good PS3 to game on. Ironically, the last game I review is also one of the best I've ever played during my time on the PC. So enjoy.

You'll be back VIAN. When your PS3 has worn down and the console no longer looks as shiny as it does right now. You'll be back.

I'd give Bioshock a 9/10. Mem, I'd try not to compare an FPS like Bioshock with PS:T. Not only is it poor form to compare an FPS with an RPG. But the RPG genre is basically primed and built around story telling. It would be nearly impossible to tell a story like that in an FPS. I also realize a lot of people like to compare Bioshock negatively w/ regards to SS2. To which I would say, huh? Is it really bad that the makers of SS2 have another game similar to it? I think it's great that I can suggest SS2 to someone and then Bioshock, or possibly visa versa.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I really liked BioShock, but after finishing it two times I eventually simply gave it to a friend. I just found no more interest playing it, it did not offer enough randomization to justify a third, fourth or any extra number of play through again and again. It was indeed a masterpiece while it lasted, but its scripted nature (albeit a little less than others such as Half-Life 2, for example) made the game uninteresting over time. I was about to compare it to a book, but I still read good books for my own tastes years after I first read them, so it wouldn't have been a good comparison, but the point is that the game's addictive factor just died out on me the second time I finished it.

And... can anyone else here agree with me that the final boss battle was anti-climatically boring and easy? I just thought "wow... ok where's the final boss? oh dammit, the end already?! man...". I thought it was just... well I'll say it, it was lame.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: skace
This is my last PC game review. I'm no longer into computers like I used to be, and I'm not wiling to pay $200+ for a new GPU when I have a perfectly good PS3 to game on. Ironically, the last game I review is also one of the best I've ever played during my time on the PC. So enjoy.

You'll be back VIAN. When your PS3 has worn down and the console no longer looks as shiny as it does right now. You'll be back.

I'd give Bioshock a 9/10. Mem, I'd try not to compare an FPS like Bioshock with PS:T. Not only is it poor form to compare an FPS with an RPG. But the RPG genre is basically primed and built around story telling. It would be nearly impossible to tell a story like that in an FPS. I also realize a lot of people like to compare Bioshock negatively w/ regards to SS2. To which I would say, huh? Is it really bad that the makers of SS2 have another game similar to it? I think it's great that I can suggest SS2 to someone and then Bioshock, or possibly visa versa.

Actually I was not comparing it to Planescape,just pointing out there are a lot of games with better stories etc...come to think of it there are a lot of games that are better then Bioshock period!!!!!!..FPS wise hmm lets see Stalker,Quake 4,FEAR,Undying,Farcry,Deus Ex etc... were all more enjoyable then Bioshock in my case..I stand by my verdict Bioshock is overhyped and a boring disappointing game.

As to SS2 I did enjoy that a lot.....as to the makers,how many have left since SS2 and how many new developers have been hired.. so it does not mean a lot when you consider the time gap between the two,one thing I'll say they don't make games like they use too,quality and new ideas in those days,can't say that about many games nowadays.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Zenoth
I really liked BioShock, but after finishing it two times I eventually simply gave it to a friend. I just found no more interest playing it, it did not offer enough randomization to justify a third, fourth or any extra number of play through again and again. It was indeed a masterpiece while it lasted, but its scripted nature (albeit a little less than others such as Half-Life 2, for example) made the game uninteresting over time. I was about to compare it to a book, but I still read good books for my own tastes years after I first read them, so it wouldn't have been a good comparison, but the point is that the game's addictive factor just died out on me the second time I finished it.

And... can anyone else here agree with me that the final boss battle was anti-climatically boring and easy? I just thought "wow... ok where's the final boss? oh dammit, the end already?! man...". I thought it was just... well I'll say it, it was lame.

i might not have liked it very much ... but i am hoping the inevitable expansion pack will address its flaws :p
--and i am not buying BS all over again ...

The final battle was SO easy, i just unleashed plasmids i never tried before on it ... toast in less than 2 minutes ... very disappointing

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Mem
Actually I was not comparing it to Planescape,just pointing out there are a lot of games with better stories etc...come to think of it there are a lot of games that are better then Bioshock period!!!!!!..FPS wise hmm lets see Stalker,Quake 4,FEAR,Undying,Farcry,Deus Ex etc... were all more enjoyable then Bioshock in my case..I stand by my verdict Bioshock is overhyped and a boring disappointing game.

As to SS2 I did enjoy that a lot.....as to the makers,how many have left since SS2 and how many new developers have been hired.. so it does not mean a lot when you consider the time gap between the two,one thing I'll say they don't make games like they use too,quality and new ideas in those days,can't say that about many games nowadays.

I'd just like to note that you listed 6 FPS games over the course of 1999 - 2007. That's less than 1 FPS a year. So I don't think that knocks Bioshock very far down the list. I'd also agree with you on Undying, Deus Ex. I'd put STALKER slightly behind Bioshock. I'd put Quake1 ahead, Quake4 behind, FEAR way behind, Farcry behind but Crysis ahead.

I think there is enough room for 1 good FPS a year at the bare minimum.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000

I'd just like to note that you listed 6 FPS games over the course of 1999 - 2007. That's less than 1 FPS a year. So I don't think that knocks Bioshock very far down the list. I'd also agree with you on Undying, Deus Ex. I'd put STALKER slightly behind Bioshock. I'd put Quake1 ahead, Quake4 behind, FEAR way behind, Farcry behind but Crysis ahead.

I think there is enough room for 1 good FPS a year at the bare minimum.

I could list more FPS games but what's the point?......it won't change my view or verdict on Bioshock....I enjoyed Stalker a lot more then Bioshock it was more of an original game(I liked the RPG elements).

miniMUNCH

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
*Take into consideration that I've never played System Shock 2.

Yes you have... bioshock *IS* system shock 2... just with a lot of plastic surgery.

:D

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
I've had the game for about 3 months and haven't played it for more than about two hours. It's an ok game, I just couldn't get into it really. I've tried to force myself into playing it more so I can justify buying it, but I just can't.

SSH2 was a much more engaging game IMO.

fallenangel99

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2001
I still havent my Bioshock game from the black friday sale ($25 @ BB). I'm waiting to set up my Logitech from z-5500s (that i purchased 2 years ago!) since I heard the sound in this game is amazing.. i know, i'm very slow haha

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Conclusion
I don?t think I could?ve asked for a more complete FPS. Bioshock has atmosphere, options, strategy, tension, creativity, etc. Aside from a few minor problems, Bioshock is a must play game. It is a Masterpiece and it has certainly ?raised the bar? in terms of the kind of quality that can be achieved in today?s competitive video game industry.

As most members here know it was probably the biggest disappointment of 2007 for me,game was boring not even scarey(Undying and Stalker were more scarey),story was not engaging for me,game was short too(good thing in a way ).
Overhyped is not the word,I think the reviewers were on a different planet taking drugs when they reviewed this game,anyway each to their own as they say, we all have different opinions.
One game I'm trying to forget,my latest rating I'll give it 6.5/10 and that's me being generous.

I know this is not going to please the Bioshock diehard fans,but I have got to call it as I have played it.

Planescape Torment is the standard ,will we see a game as good as that for gameplay or story?...I hope so one day.

Most people with your opinion have only played the demo. Be honest did you really play the whole game? Maybe the FPS aspects weren't "outstanding" but the storyline certainly was!

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Thraxen
I loved BioShock... much better than overrated crap like FEAR that a lot of people around here seem to praise.

Agreed, likewise with STALKER. FEAR and STALKER are just trendy for people to like so they can bash the games that are actually better (HL2, Bioshock)

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Eeezee
Conclusion
I don?t think I could?ve asked for a more complete FPS. Bioshock has atmosphere, options, strategy, tension, creativity, etc. Aside from a few minor problems, Bioshock is a must play game. It is a Masterpiece and it has certainly ?raised the bar? in terms of the kind of quality that can be achieved in today?s competitive video game industry.

As most members here know it was probably the biggest disappointment of 2007 for me,game was boring not even scarey(Undying and Stalker were more scarey),story was not engaging for me,game was short too(good thing in a way ).
Overhyped is not the word,I think the reviewers were on a different planet taking drugs when they reviewed this game,anyway each to their own as they say, we all have different opinions.
One game I'm trying to forget,my latest rating I'll give it 6.5/10 and that's me being generous.

I know this is not going to please the Bioshock diehard fans,but I have got to call it as I have played it.

Planescape Torment is the standard ,will we see a game as good as that for gameplay or story?...I hope so one day.

Most people with your opinion have only played the demo. Be honest did you really play the whole game? Maybe the FPS aspects weren't "outstanding" but the storyline certainly was!

Yes as most members here know I only play retail games,I won't give my opinion on any game unless I played it from start to end...story was boring end of story(no pun intended),anyway glad you enjoyed the game, for me it was far from a great game ,oh and the 3 hours plus to register the game online was fun even before you could play the game.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Eeezee
Conclusion

i played thru the *entire* game in a weekend
... the story was Crap ... INconsistent and pretty full of itself, philosophically speaking

Grade B-

Lord Banshee

Golden Member
Sep 8, 2004
The game was great in my eyes, story was amazing if you captured and listen to all the recording and actual not rushed the game. The ending sucked.

here is list of recent(sort-of) FPS i've played and my scores
Bioshock A-
HL2 B+
HL2 e1 B+
HL2 e2 A
Doom3 C

So the only FPS game I've completely played though that received anything better was HL2 e2, but then again i have no played COD4 or Stalker so yeah and i would not call portal a fps either. But I agree with OP, it is one of the best PC games I've ever played. The atmosphere and the recordings all add to the story which was just pretty damn cool.

Piuc2020

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2005

The thing is, if you suggest someone to play SS2 first and then Bioshock, they are going to be extremely dissapointed.

It's like Blizzard created Diablo 3 and suddenly everyone realized Diablo II actually PLAYS better than D3. That is why Bioshock was kind of a dissapointment.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Piuc2020
The thing is, if you suggest someone to play SS2 first and then Bioshock, they are going to be extremely dissapointed.

It's like Blizzard created Diablo 3 and suddenly everyone realized Diablo II actually PLAYS better than D3. That is why Bioshock was kind of a dissapointment.

I would tell people to play Bioshock and, if they enjoy it, go get System Shock 2. Trying to get people to play SS2 is an act of god because of how dated the graphics look.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I finished this game the other day and I completely agree with the OP in pretty much every respect. The main thing I would have asked for was a more satisfying ending, but at least I really enjoyed the journey.

This is the most fun I've had, and the most immersed I have felt, with a single-player game since, well Portal, but before that it was Half-Life 2 and before that probably Deus-ex.

I also had zero technical problems with the game; I was up and running in 10 minutes and it never crashed for me once.

Overall I would say this is now my #3 game of 2007 behind Portal and TF2.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

KT

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
I got Bioshock recently from another member here and installed it, but it's buggy. Even with the most recent update, it only outputs 5.1 surround sound, so I get no audio at all on my 2.1 set when the source is directly in front of me or behind me (since the sound is going to the nonexistent center or rear channels). It doesn't matter what I set it to, the bug remains. Also, the mouse is extremely shaky and it actually makes my arm tense up really quickly since I'm trying to compensate for it. So I haven't gotten that far and I'm not sure if I'm going to keep playing it or sell it. I do like it so far, the gameplay at least, but those other issues have gotten in my way and I don't want to play a crippled game.

As for STALKER, I also don't know what people are going on about with that. I regret buying the Steam version because I can't resell it. The graphics are terrible?I know they have the potential to be good, but I have to turn off dynamic lighting otherwise my Radeon HD3850 will stutter every few seconds. Without dynamic lights, it's pretty muddy and visually unimpressive. And the character models and textures are truly awful. They remind me of the original Call of Duty.

Graphics don't make or break a game, but the gameplay on STALKER is frustrating too. Maybe it's because I lost all my progress when it crashed on me for no reason. I had just started so it wasn't a big deal, but of course now I'm saving constantly to avoid that. I don't know, though, the gameplay itself is just boring. It feels like a chore to me. Definitely not very much fun.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: pontifex
Originally posted by: Soviet
I didnt "love" it... cmon its not half life 2... But it was pretty good, worth my money i think. Definately better than FEAR which was a POS boring game!

you're right, it's not HL2. It's 10x better than HL2

lol, you're my new friend.

Cabages

Platinum Member
Jan 1, 2006
I recently got around to playing it also. It actually over exceeded my expectations. Very good game, one of the best ive played. I will agree its better than HL2, though comparing it to FEAR is insult.

Still havent completed it. Im taking my time, exploring everything.

AntiFreze

Golden Member
Oct 23, 2007
I didn't read much, had a quick question. I have the camera and I'm in the really really green part now. how far % wise am I done?

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: AntiFreze
I didn't read much, had a quick question. I have the camera and I'm in the really really green part now. how far % wise am I done?

About half-way. Some fun times ahead!

KT

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Originally posted by: MmmSkyscraper
Overhyped is not the word,I think the reviewers were on a different planet taking drugs when they reviewed this game...

:thumbsup:

Pretty much. IMO It's ok, a bit too console-ish. As a primarily FPS player, Bioshock annoyed me a bit in that it had me shooting into dark corners so often. I just hate shooting at stuff I can't see. Otherwise it is interesting.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Sometimes, when I'm walking around my house, in the dark, late at night, I think I hear a pained, creepy voice in the darkest corner singing:

:music: Jesus loves me this I know, for the Bible tells me so :music:

**shudder**

KT