Bioshock PC Review

VIAN

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2003
Bioshock has been sitting in my PC desk drawer since it came out. I've been trying to play it for a long time and finally got some (time) in February.

This is my last PC game review. I'm no longer into computers like I used to be, and I'm not wiling to pay $200+ for a new GPU when I have a perfectly good PS3 to game on. Ironically, the last game I review is also one of the best I've ever played during my time on the PC. So enjoy.

*Take into consideration that I've never played System Shock 2.

Grade: A

Pros
Almost everything. Uniqueness.
Cons
FMVs and the ending could?ve used some work.

Introduction
Many people were avoiding Bioshock for the PC because it is almost as restrictive as Half-life 2 in that they needed to have an internet connection to play. The game is also limited by how many times it can be installed bringing into question the value of the license.

This can make it a little bit of a pain and might make the XBOX 360 version a better buy, also considering how many resources this game uses on the PC. But whatever you do ? play this game.

I?ve played most noteworthy First-Person-Shooters (FPS?s) for the PC. If there is one thing I can tell you it?s that Bioshock is a Masterpiece. It has almost everything anyone could every want in a FPS. I?m even going so far as to nominate this game for a FPS of the decade award, if there was such a thing.

Story
As the only survivor of an airplane crash in the middle of the ocean, you swim to safety onto a peculiar edifice protruding from the water.

Welcome to Rapture. A city built 18 fathoms under the ocean surface sometime in the 40?s. Its creator, Andrew Ryan, built it with his own money in order for Man to free himself of god and government; a city where ?a man is entitled to the sweat of his own brow.? ?But the city has torn itself apart.

I don?t want to get into too much more detail because the story is the driving force of the game and I don?t want to spoil it for you. Even if I did want to spoil it for you ? it is such a killer, complex, political story that I would take up to much real estate on this paper to get it all out. I?m sure I?d have to replay the game as well, just to get a clearer picture.

The story is told via many diverse media: level design, Rapture advertisements, pickets left from political movements, scenarios played out by victims, hearing recorded messages on cassettes, meeting the many interesting characters, and even quotes during the loading screens. I have never seen such attention to detail.

At the end, there are three different endings. But since two are very similar, there are really only two different endings: Good and Evil. It is clear that the ending wasn?t given as much attention as compared to the rest of the game. It seems thrown together and not very emotional.

Gameplay
Bioshock is a benchmark of Horror and Atmosphere. Inside Rapture, you feel isolated right from the start. This feeling is delivered well because you are in a city designed in the 40?s, an alien setting with alien décor, and because you are so deep under water. Looking outside the windows of Ratpure, into the ocean, seeing the fish swim around, also works very well.

The game uses many tactics to scare you, but the most effective tactic is sound. What you hear while playing creates a tension-filled anticipation. The sounds of the environment and the sounds you make by walking or bumping into something you didn?t mean to can make you feel like there is someone behind you. It always feels unsafe. Enemies talk or yell at you, talk to themselves, talk amongst themselves, or scream. And they are always around some corner or behind some object. It makes me explore each area cautiously.

Exploring for items to survive is part of the fun. You explore to find ammo, new weapons, upgrades, etc. On your path, you will find a sometimes overwhelming amount of environmental detail to look at. Many times I would just stop and bask, looking for more clues to the story. You will come across disturbing murders, medical and political practices; each with its own story.

There are a variety of weapons at your disposal, as well as upgrades for them. You can use traditional projectile weapons or use Plasmids. Plasmids are genetic mutations that can create new abilities in your body, such as the ability to create fire, ice, and electricity for use as projectiles.

A big part of the game is customization and how the limitations of it force you to strategically choose the best option. This is why the game boasts, ?No two gamers will play the game the same way.? Along your journey, you will find upgrades for your traditional weapons, upgrades for Plasmids and other genetic mutating Tonics. These tonics give you upgrades to your body and skills, such as better hacking, better defense, better use of a first-aid kit, etc.

If you like to use the same weapon, you can keep on using it most of the time because ammo is plentiful. You can even create ammo and other useful things with pieces that you find on dead enemies or just laying around. Vending machines, which are a big part of the game, also help you stay stocked. Bioshock has currency which you can collect from dead enemies and spend on vending machines for ammo or health. You can even hack the vending machine to get lower prices.

The gameplay never gets old. Just to make sure it doesn?t, the developers throw a refreshing twist on it every once in a while. Enemies also become more difficult and use more challenging weapons as you progress.

There is plenty of in-game help for you. If you forget what things are or how to use them, press ?M? and look it up. There is even a hint button that will give you hints if you are stuck. There is also an arrow that points to the direction of the next objective. But you can forget it is there while playing. With the option to help yourself or not, the game can be as difficult or as easy as you want it to be.

Graphics
Bioshock isn?t big on realistic graphics, but is big on level detail. However, it still requires a good graphics card of at least $200 current market price. My Geforce 7600 GT 256MB can barely cut it, playing the game mostly just above 30 frames-per-second (fps), which is the accepted minimum for enjoyment. There are many times where it plays in the low 20?s, in which I notice the slowdown.

The Vista Performance Rating is a bunch of Bull. It says the game?s ?recommended? rating is 2.0. My system?s is 4.9 and I?m not satisfied with the performance.

There are two graphics options that will destroy your performance: Resolution, which I?m forced to play at 960x600 or lower (ugh), and Shadow Maps, which is off because it kills my fps by more than half. All other settings affect my fps by only 2-4 frames each.

Some of the special effects don?t even look very good. Post-Processing makes everything look less realistic and Distortion isn?t a realistic effect when looking outside a window at the city. Also, the Full-Motion Videos (FMV?s) look very pixilated and don?t live up to the standard of the rest of the game.

Loading screens were great, since there were few of them. I was impressed at the how long I was able to play without loading. But when a loading screen came up, I perceived it as a nice break from the tension.

Conclusion
I don?t think I could?ve asked for a more complete FPS. Bioshock has atmosphere, options, strategy, tension, creativity, etc. Aside from a few minor problems, Bioshock is a must play game. It is a Masterpiece and it has certainly ?raised the bar? in terms of the kind of quality that can be achieved in today?s competitive video game industry.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Conclusion
I don?t think I could?ve asked for a more complete FPS. Bioshock has atmosphere, options, strategy, tension, creativity, etc. Aside from a few minor problems, Bioshock is a must play game. It is a Masterpiece and it has certainly ?raised the bar? in terms of the kind of quality that can be achieved in today?s competitive video game industry.

As most members here know it was probably the biggest disappointment of 2007 for me,game was boring not even scarey(Undying and Stalker were more scarey),story was not engaging for me,game was short too(good thing in a way ).
Overhyped is not the word,I think the reviewers were on a different planet taking drugs when they reviewed this game,anyway each to their own as they say, we all have different opinions.
One game I'm trying to forget,my latest rating I'll give it 6.5/10 and that's me being generous.

I know this is not going to please the Bioshock diehard fans,but I have got to call it as I have played it.

Planescape Torment is the standard ,will we see a game as good as that for gameplay or story?...I hope so one day.

Capitalizt

Banned
Nov 28, 2004
I loved it. As a single player experience, I'd have to give it an A+. I didn't think it was overhyped at all...The environment...the atmosphere...the enemies, and the abilities you gain...all pure awesome.

The default difficulty was too easy though. If you want a good challenge and some real scares, play it on HARD the first time through.

Oh, and a pitch-black playing environment is an absolute must ;)

Piuc2020

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2005
I thought the game was pretty good but I was extremely disappointed by it, it had so much potential yet it was extremely dumbed down for the Xbox360 plus it had a bunch of technical issues and a pretty horrible activation scheme.

I like the game and have already played through it twice but I would give it an 8.5, it's good and fun to play but it just feels like the developers could have done so much more and just didn't because of the Xbox360.

It's also disappointing to see the story is nothing more than SS2's plot ported to a Rapturian setting, it's also sad to see the game DOESN'T live up to the standards set by SS2 in terms of suspense, horror, gameplay, RPG elements and story.

I could keep talking and talking about it but it's not like the game sucks so it's really pointless, the game is worth a purchase, it's just not worthy of the praise critics have gotten it and especially not deserving of the GOTY award many are giving it.

But in terms of overhyped games I don't like I'm, just extremely glad Halo 3 didn't win GOTY in any major publication that I know of, the game is average at best.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Even though he's several months late, I am glad the OP liked it.

I did not, but I'll be damned if I crap on anyone who manages to enjoy a Windows game these days. That seems to get harder every year.

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007
Waita be about 6 months late to the party.

But yes, BioShock is good story-centric shooter. The art style alone is worth playing it for.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I agree that this game was stupidly overhyped by the reviewers, but I still found it very good despite a few glaring flaws. I would give it 8/10. It was System Shock 2's equivalent of DX: Invisible War; dumbed down and incomparable to its predecessor, but still a great game in its own right.

I did not, but I'll be damned if I crap on anyone who manages to enjoy a Windows game these days. That seems to get harder every year.

I don't think you can call this a distinctively PC game. It's quite obviously designed for the consoles first, and PCs second.

GundamSonicZeroX

Platinum Member
Oct 6, 2005
Originally posted by: CP5670

I don't think you can call this a distinctively PC game. It's quite obviously designed for the consoles first, and PCs second.

I think that's his point, many of the PC games coming out now are console ports. (BioShock, UT3, Oblivion, etc.)

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: GundamSonicZeroX

I think that's his point, many of the PC games coming out now are console ports. (BioShock, UT3, Oblivion, etc.)
Exactly.
The OP is enjoying a PC game.
One that was really designed with consoles in mind and I didnt care for myself, but he's enjoying a PC game and I will always support that.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
I agree that this game was stupidly overhyped by the reviewers, but I still found it very good despite a few glaring flaws. I would give it 8/10. It was System Shock 2's equivalent of DX: Invisible War; dumbed down and incomparable to its predecessor, but still a great game in its own right.

i gave it a ~6.8/10 ... and agreeing with Mem ... and everyone *jumped* on me ... but ~7/10 is still good.

it IS a shameless consolized ripoff of SS2

BUT it is still is a 'decent shooter' ... the hype was totally unjustified as the game has some glaring flaws ... and some 'nice touches' ... it reminds me of "FPS by committee" .. 'whoever's' "vision" was terribly diluted.

Personally, i think i would be disappointed with the 2nd coming of Jesus - --the way the fundamentalists hype it. :p
:Q

btw, how come no one has made "Armageddon" yet ? ... it would be a pretty cool game .. RPG ... RTS ... FPS ... ? You could pick your alignment: demons, angels, man .. use nukes and our 'secret weapons' ... and of course, the fate of the universe hanging on the 'chosen one'
rose.gif

or has it been already done before?
:D

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Originally posted by: VIAN

Gameplay

The game uses many tactics to scare you, but the most effective tactic is sound. What you hear while playing creates a tension-filled anticipation. The sounds of the environment and the sounds you make by walking or bumping into something you didn?t mean to can make you feel like there is someone behind you. It always feels unsafe. Enemies talk or yell at you, talk to themselves, talk amongst themselves, or scream. And they are always around some corner or behind some object. It makes me explore each area cautiously.

Exploring for items to survive is part of the fun. You explore to find ammo, new weapons, upgrades, etc. On your path, you will find a sometimes overwhelming amount of environmental detail to look at. Many times I would just stop and bask, looking for more clues to the story. You will come across disturbing murders, medical and political practices; each with its own story.

Graphics
Bioshock isn?t big on realistic graphics, but is big on level detail. However, it still requires a good graphics card of at least $200 current market price. My Geforce 7600 GT 256MB can barely cut it, playing the game mostly just above 30 frames-per-second (fps), which is the accepted minimum for enjoyment. There are many times where it plays in the low 20?s, in which I notice the slowdown.

The Vista Performance Rating is a bunch of Bull. It says the game?s ?recommended? rating is 2.0. My system?s is 4.9 and I?m not satisfied with the performance.

There are two graphics options that will destroy your performance: Resolution, which I?m forced to play at 960x600 or lower (ugh), and Shadow Maps, which is off because it kills my fps by more than half. All other settings affect my fps by only 2-4 frames each.

Some of the special effects don?t even look very good. Post-Processing makes everything look less realistic and Distortion isn?t a realistic effect when looking outside a window at the city. Also, the Full-Motion Videos (FMV?s) look very pixilated and don?t live up to the standard of the rest of the game.

Conclusion

I downloaded Bioshock via Steam around 3 weeks ago and started on Hard. I have only just left the Medical Pavilion.

I am not a big fan of the Horror genre and didnt expect Bioshock when it came and left me feeling rather weirded out. AvP as a Marine is scary because you know what your enemy is, you know you can only see 5 metres in front of your face and your enemy can cover 100 metres in 2.7 seconds. Bioshock is disturbing because its main enemies are rather mentally disturbed and have access to rather lethal weapons. They mutter deranged words and express a rather two sided emotion towards their surroundings. Their first words are usually rather nice followed by something rather violent and involving yourself.

The games signature bad guy (the one on the box) is really rather fun. Interaction with them is rather different and provided me with quite a smile when I began to understand them and the differences between them and the more common foes.

I was lucky enough to play this at a time when I have an 8800GT and a good platform. Graphics options maxxed out at 1280x720 on my TV are really great. Not realistic but very well done in most areas.

I wish there was more RPG to it. Stalker played the FPS and RPG balance quite well, Bioshock as Zero Punctuation stated quite harshly was probably "dumbed down for the console tards". Whereas my opinion of console gamers does not extend to insulting them, I do think that the RPG element was forgone for the consoles and would have been present in a PC only game.

A very enjoyable game with a really creepy atmosphere. I hope to have it completed by this time next year. A very good review VIAN, quite a lot I would agree with in my what you could call limited experience with the game.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Bioshock was a great console game and a tremendous addition for the 360's already robust SHOOTAEN GAMES library. However, I found it to be a lacking PC shooter.

So many parts of Bioshock seems dumbed or toned down. Also, I couldn't help compare the game to the deeper, scarier, and more absorbing System Shock 2. Don't blame me for comparing the games! They have the SAME EXACT plot. How could I help to compare them?

Bioshock did have its good parts. I enjoyed the art, music, and atmosphere (SS2's atmosphere was better, however). Also, the big daddies were fun for a while, but became nothing more than a nuisance halfway through the game.

I would recommend this game to any fool twiddling his thumbs on his 360 controller, but I would have a hard time fully recommending this game to a PC gamer.

Build it Myself

Oct 24, 2007
I installed this, played it for 20minutes, got so bored I turned if off and went back to Crysis...same thing with COD4, why are these games so hyped? COD was sooooo boring and linear...Bioshock looked interesting but I just wasn't feeling it, felt too much like half-life2

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
I loved it, but the ending kinda sucked. The best part about BioShock was the unique atmosphere.

skyofavalon

Jul 11, 2007
Lol,everytime I see people complain about a game being dumbed down because of X-box, I get an Image in my head of Trump gaming on his PC,then a mongaloid banging his 360 controller against his head.

james1701

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2007
I enjoyed it. I played it through about 4 times. I dont think I have ever done that with a game before, althogh it was short, so that made it easy to do. I am not sure how it won game of the year though. There were far too many technical issues. 2K will not even respond in the forums much anymore. I wish they could be like Crytek and give updates every week. I also wish they would release the DRM, and the editor. This game needs mods badly.

AVP

Jan 19, 2005
Fun and cool for a while, but I sill haven't bothered to beat it. Once as the ooh and ahhing at the water wears off, the environment gets stale.

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
I loved BioShock... much better than overrated crap like FEAR that a lot of people around here seem to praise.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
I didnt "love" it... cmon its not half life 2... But it was pretty good, worth my money i think. Definately better than FEAR which was a POS boring game!

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Soviet
I didnt "love" it... cmon its not half life 2... But it was pretty good, worth my money i think. Definately better than FEAR which was a POS boring game!

you're right, it's not HL2. It's 10x better than HL2

kirilus

Feb 7, 2008
I meant "compared to S.T.A.L.K.E.R." Bioshock simply cannot be called 'unique,' 'benchmark of Horror and Atmosphere,' and etc. In fact I do not know any game that is at least on the same level as STALKER. Game developers produced a masterpiece - customizable game engine, unique storyline, amazing graphics (if you have decent hardware), and so on... maybe the radiation helped them ;)