Bioshock=Lame

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: cKGunslinger
Originally posted by: sushicide
The best Bioshock review out there: link

exactly how I feel :D

That may have been the best review of any game, ever. :D

lol, I liked the swift kick in the balls conclusion.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
I hate how people see vehicles as added depth. It's a FPS, not a driving simulator. If I wanted that crap I would just picked up Twisted Metal. They add fun if they do it right but the guns, the killing, the atmosphere and story, and the AI are what make FPS's fun. Not hover craft and one-manned tanks.

I have not played one FPS yet that I thought vehicles were more of a hurdle to get passed just to get back to the fun parts of the game.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Wait.. You put the thief series, tron 2.0 and quake 2 ahead of quake, starsiege tribes, and wolfenstein? BOGGLE
Well we each have our own tastes in gaming enjoyment.

I thought Quake was simply a Sci-Fi skin for Doom, where Quake 2 kind of took the Quake universe to a whole new level.

Starsiege Tribes...never could get into it...the same for Wolfenstein.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Originally posted by: slag
Originally posted by: Starbuck1975
Doom (only because it started it all)
Half Life/Half Life 2
Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series
System Shock 2
Deus Ex
Thief series
BioShock
FarCry
Tron 2.0
Quake 2
Call of Duty
No One Lives Forever
Clive Barker's Undying

Wait.. You put the thief series, tron 2.0 and quake 2 ahead of quake, starsiege tribes, and wolfenstein?

BOGGLE
I loved the Thief series myself (Especially 2 at the time). It was the original FPSneaker.

All you Splinter Cell fans can thank Looking Glass for making this genre.

dwell

pics?
Oct 9, 1999
Bioshock was a great ride, but almost completely forgettable once you get off. Zero replay value, IMO. A must play, but not in my 10 ten ever. Maybe not even top 50.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
That about sums it up for me too. Doubt we'll ever see the likes of a Deus Ex-ish game that was amazing the first time through, and different enough to be enjoyable on subsequent play throughs.

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: slag
Originally posted by: destrekor
Pretty sure you're alone in the world.

I've never heard a single bad opinion of the game. Not sure what you expected going into the game, but it was never meant to be a FarCry or a Half Life 2.
Do you want guns blazing and only guns blazing? The airboat and buggy driving were actually fun moments in Half Life 2, they gave added depth.
And Bioshock is not strictly an FPS, but has strong elements of an adventure title with RPG elements.

He's not alone. I've played nearly all FPS out there, starting with Wolfenstein era and going forward. This game is absolute trash. Horrible control, waay too dark (same with quake4 and doom3), and its just plain ugly and not fun. I want rocket launchers, double barrel shotguns, cool laser pistols, etc. Instead, i get a crappy machine gun, a pistol, and a wrench? WTF.

I played it for an hour and just cant get into it. Waste of money...

Maybe you should stick to Windoom - or better yet, Heretic. Ah, no - no laser guns to be found there either. What ever shall you do :confused: ?

Skacer

Banned
Jun 4, 2007

I thought Quake was simply a Sci-Fi skin for Doom, where Quake 2 kind of took the Quake universe to a whole new level.

That is mind numbingly insulting.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Skacer

I think what he means is that Quake 1 has literally no story whereas Quake 2 has a story.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: ShawnD1
I think what he means is that Quake 1 has literally no story whereas Quake 2 has a story.

Clearly Shub Niggurath > The Strogg.

Quake didn't become good until you got a Monster 3d or, GASP, canopus pure 3d card and could enjoy the game in 3dfx goodness.

With 256 shades of brown, the game just screamed enjoyment.

I'm biased though. Quake was very fun after I bought the monster3d card, but it became uber great after quakeworld was released and TeamFortress. I skipped many days of college to play quake in my dorm room on 33.6 dialup back in the early 90s.

I remember this experience more than any other game I've played and had fun with.. more than world of warcraft, Tribes, anything. Its what defined pc gaming for me, with all the mods, maps, etc that came out after quakeworld.

hooflung

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2004
Originally posted by: ShawnD1

But it implies that Doom isn't Sci-Fi. I mean... iD must have been scared about Doom catching an STD if it needed to double bag with a Sci-Fi condom.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
To each his own.

Well it goes beyond that...think how many FPS games came out of the Quake 2 engine...Quake 2 was essentially the dawn of 3D gaming, and ushured in the video card arms race that continues to this day.

By today's standards, the Quake 2 storyline wasn't exactly Shakespeare, but there was at least some semblance of a plot...not to mention the integration of sound effects and a musical score to heighten the gaming experience.

But it implies that Doom isn't Sci-Fi. I mean... iD must have been scared about Doom catching an STD if it needed to double bag with a Sci-Fi condom.
Well I suppose Doom is Sci-Fi as well...I guess what I meant is that Quake 2 brought in the whole alien thing, and weapons typically associated with Sci-Fi movies...Doom was more horror than Sci-Fi, given the whole demon fighting angle, but even horror falls under Sci-Fi sometimes.

rpanic

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2006
I just finished it and already forgot about it. Definitely not as good as all the hype, ss1 and ss2 were much more innovative when they came out. This game has no replay value at all. I would give it 7 out of 10 because it was pretty and it did have a nice story line. It can be bought in the 30s now might be a good buy when it gets into the 20s if you haven?t bought it yet. The last 3 hours of the game were just to finish it to try to get my moneys worth out, I would not have bothered otherwise.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
i didn't like it

The plot sucked for me ... the Story was pure 1950s "junk sci-fi"; a BAD movie ... and Plot Holes to pilot a Submarine thru that ruined immersion.
--Does anyone *really* think Ryan is dead ?
:roll:
-no way ... he is the genius that uses you to kindly rid his world of Atlas ... --but his resurrection is for the expansion ;)

BioShock will be forever known as BS in my book :p
- i am SO glad i got it on Day1 for [only] $35 ... i played it the first week and uninstalled it ... now i am trying to rid my rig of malware
:thumbsdown:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: apoppin
i didn't like it

The plot sucked for me ... the Story was pure 1950s "junk sci-fi"; a BAD movie ... and Plot Holes to pilot a Submarine thru that ruined immersion.
-no way ... he is the genius that uses you to kindly rid his world of Atlas ... --but his resurrection is for the expansion ;)

- i am SO glad i got it on Day1 for [only] $35 ... i played it the first week and uninstalled it ... now i am trying to rid my rig of malware

Malware from what? Bioshock didn't leave anything behind for me :confused:

microAmp

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: cmdrdredd
i didn't like it

Probably this?

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: microAmp
Originally posted by: cmdrdredd
i didn't like it

Probably this?

This is not a concern to me. If someone wants to protect their product fine. People who worry about this are silly.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I just entered the Fort Frolic portion of the game, and I have to say that BioShock is the first game since System Shock 2 whose atmosphere and environment is the star of the show.

Now that I have enough Eve to ugprade my character, I am having a blast trying different plasmid and weapon combos to take out Splicers...nothing like using a combination of hacked turrets, hacked security cameras, and a befriended Big Daddy to set a trap for numerous Splicer attacks.

The audio journals set a very dark tone for the chain of events leading to Rapture's downfall...now that I have heard all of the audio journals related to the evolution of the Little Sisters, I feel guilty harvesting them...they are just characters on a computer screen, yet the tragic element of the experiments that lead to their mutation is quite sad...and a bit disgusting.

SPOILER ALERT

My favorite parts of the game so far are the twisted Plastic Surgeon in the Medical Pavilion and the Houdini Splicer Cult in Arcadia.

In Arcadia, I stumbled upon a fight between a Big Daddy, Houdini Splicers and normal Splicers...the normal Splicers went after the Houdini Splicers, with the Houdini Splicers vocalizing that this was there territory...one of the Houdini Splicers accidentally hit a Big Daddy, sending it into the fray...I just stood there and watched the chaos unfold, mesmerized that the AI could create such a scene without scripting.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
I'm late to the party, but I have to say that I deliriously enjoyed playing for about 7-8 hours. Unfortunately, I have lost most of my momentum due to the rejuvenation chambers. They work like a permanent god mode. Need cash? Find a Big daddy, attack. He kills you, you rejuvenate, find him again, attack, repeat till he's dead. They really screwed the pooch in my opinion by implementing this method. Still a great game, and you don't have to play it the way I do, but it's hard not to with the BD being all over the place and being uncooperative in dying.

I'll finish it, but I am not enjoying it nearly as much anymore. And now that the Crysis demo is delayed I'll have to find something else to keep me busy.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
I just entered the Fort Frolic portion of the game, and I have to say that BioShock is the first game since System Shock 2 whose atmosphere and environment is the star of the show.

Now that I have enough Eve to ugprade my character, I am having a blast trying different plasmid and weapon combos to take out Splicers...nothing like using a combination of hacked turrets, hacked security cameras, and a befriended Big Daddy to set a trap for numerous Splicer attacks.

The audio journals set a very dark tone for the chain of events leading to Rapture's downfall...now that I have heard all of the audio journals related to the evolution of the Little Sisters, I feel guilty harvesting them...they are just characters on a computer screen, yet the tragic element of the experiments that lead to their mutation is quite sad...and a bit disgusting.

SPOILER ALERT

My favorite parts of the game so far are the twisted Plastic Surgeon in the Medical Pavilion and the Houdini Splicer Cult in Arcadia.

In Arcadia, I stumbled upon a fight between a Big Daddy, Houdini Splicers and normal Splicers...the normal Splicers went after the Houdini Splicers, with the Houdini Splicers vocalizing that this was there territory...one of the Houdini Splicers accidentally hit a Big Daddy, sending it into the fray...I just stood there and watched the chaos unfold, mesmerized that the AI could create such a scene without scripting.

I hypnotized a Big Daddy, and then found another Big Daddy and forced them to battle each other. It was less epic than I imagined :frown:

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: sirjonk
I'm late to the party, but I have to say that I deliriously enjoyed playing for about 7-8 hours. Unfortunately, I have lost most of my momentum due to the rejuvenation chambers. They work like a permanent god mode. Need cash? Find a Big daddy, attack. He kills you, you rejuvenate, find him again, attack, repeat till he's dead. They really screwed the pooch in my opinion by implementing this method. Still a great game, and you don't have to play it the way I do, but it's hard not to with the BD being all over the place and being uncooperative in dying.

I'll finish it, but I am not enjoying it nearly as much anymore. And now that the Crysis demo is delayed I'll have to find something else to keep me busy.

There are points in the game where ammo is so sparse that you would not be able to complete the game if this weren't the case. You would have to restore to an earlier point and would make the game much more frustrating IMHO.

At first I felt the same way but after playing through the game 3 times I can say it would suck with a traditional death penalty.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: ayabe

There are points in the game where ammo is so sparse that you would not be able to complete the game if this weren't the case. You would have to restore to an earlier point and would make the game much more frustrating IMHO.

At first I felt the same way but after playing through the game 3 times I can say it would suck with a traditional death penalty.

2Worlds has the same resurrection 'cheat" .. but at least they have "Hard" where you can turn it off

isn't *anyone* having problems with the BS STORY?
--there are PLOT HOLES big enough to pilot a nuclear sub thru ... it ruined any immersion for me - Crap Sci-fi - like a BAD 1950's sci-fi movie

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: ayabe

2Worlds has the same resurrection 'cheat" .. but at least they have "Hard" where you can turn it off

isn't *anyone* having problems with the BS STORY?
--there are PLOT HOLES big enough to pilot a nuclear sub thru ... it ruined any immersion for me - Crap Sci-fi - like a BAD 1950's sci-fi movie

You're thinking too hard.

It's a game about a mystical, underwater city overthrown by a fake Irishman and people who switch their genes out at vending machines.

:)