Bioshock=Lame

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Frackal
I honestly feel frustrated with the reviewers' extreme gushing about this game. It's weird and nonsensical to me.

I think the gaming press is lazy. They *********NEVER HOLD GAMING COMPANIES TO ACCOUNT FOR SHOWING VASTLY INFLATED FEATURES, FAKED CGI "GAMEPLAY" MOVIES, SCRIPTED AI, ETC ETC AT E3 TYPE EVENTS TO FALSELY HYPE A GAME, AND THEN NONE OF IT IS PRESENT IN THE LIMP, DILAPIDATED RELEASED VERSION********

They are too easily lulled into giving games that are good but really lacking in some areas (HL2's story for example, Doom 3's story, Oblivion's story) superstar ratings.

I hope it's not because of ad money, because I do see ads all over a lot of these review sites. Perhaps it is more profitable to give a good review to a big-deal game with high advertising dollars. Not saying this is universally true, but I am honestly suspicious about it.

The professional reviews are becoming increasingly worthless these days. Almost all of the major, high profile releases are given very high scores by the review sites. Either the reviewers have very short memories about previous games, or they have console reviewers (who generally have lower standards) play the games on the 360 and then just copy the review for the PC version. Or there may be some shady deals going on behind the scenes, as you say.

I think one of the most extreme examples of this was Splinter Cell: Double Agent, which got high scores across the board even though the game is so buggy that it cannot even be completed without using various workarounds. I have a feeling that the review sites all played one of the console versions and just tacked on the same review with minor adjustments into their PC sections.

Sureshot324

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
Bioshock is all about atmosphere and freaky horror imagery. If that syle of artwork does not appeal you, you won't enjoy the game, regardless of gameplay.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: pontifex
Originally posted by: Zenoth
A modified S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is superior in my opinion (the ABC Mod and the A-Live Mod are both great examples). Although I still like Bioshock. In no way I thought the movement speed was "too fast". The only thing I thought was missing was a stealth element, I just believe that not being able to get any "silence" upgrades or Plasmids or anything like that forces the player into confrontations.

Technically speaking the game was built to be an action game and I am aware of that. As is, it couldn't support stealth properly, it isn't conceived for that. But I thought maybe if they could have worked around that a little more I would have liked it more, because frankly the security cameras are useless, I haven't been caught once because I hear them three rooms away and I know in advance that I got to be careful. If the cameras were silent and if they didn't emit a red light to tell you it's there 5 meters away then it might have been useful.

:confused: there were several stealth/silence plasmids/tonics. nothing that silenced weapons. but it silences your movement and one even made you invisible to enemies when you stoped walking/shooting after a few seconds.

Yes, true, but those weren't having their place in the game, in my opinion. The "camo" Plasmid is only active when standing still, but ironically the game forces you to press a key on your mouse that will "activate" your character because the developers made ammunition scarce and forces you to engage against Big Daddies, along with Splicers in many scripted events in all levels.

It's not like you do have the possibility to actually go across an entire level "unnoticed". In the way the game was made, that would be down right boring. Why stay silent and invisible when you lack ammo and need to kill that next Splicer to possibly loot something valuable/necessary out of it ? Why, when you are forced to confront and move ? Just like the cameras (which I'll repeat something about them here), a useless addition from the developers in terms of game-play, BUT it makes sense in terms of the story-line, because we all know that Andre Ryan (mostly) got his intelligence from the actual security system in Rapture to pursue his goal to be victorious against Fontaine in the "war" of the grand city.

Outside of scripted events I wasn't even caught ONCE, not even once by any of them "random" security cameras in the game simply because the developers did TWO things for me, to HELP me NOT getting caught. First being the actual camera rotating sound, which can be heard from, sometimes, a couple of rooms away, if not at least meters before you can have it on sight. And secondo, it emits a red light to a non-negligible distance, indicating not only of its actual presence but actually WHERE it's looking at. Wise ? No, not in terms of game-play. It might be more "filling" to be so, but it certainly doesn't help increasing the game's difficulty (because quite frankly it's one of the easiest games I've ever played in a decade as far as first-person-shooters go).

Some things in Bioshock were not implemented sufficiently enough for perhaps attain the desired game-play results from the developers and I still believe that "stealth" is one of those things (along with the "security system").

marmasatt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003

These are all opinions here, so nobody's "wrong." Having said that, I think Bioshock is certainly one of the best games I've ever played. If you're into FPS, horror, and RPG, and are a graphics whore, you certainly can't be dissappointed. It's the same story of games being overhyped beyond belief; so bad that it can't possibly hold up to your expectations. I chimed in in the ol' "gaming is boring" thread that games are barely holding my interest anymore. This game is about the best you're gonna get for me personally. If you say you didn't hear too much about this game before hand, nothing personal but you're a bit out of the loop. I've been waiting for this game since rumors of a "spiritual successor" to SS2 (one of the best games I've ever played still) 5 years ago. And then the hype the last year until release - forget about it. I also enjoyed Stalker though.

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Wasn't my kind of game. I can see how people like it, though. Maybe I'm just growing out of the mutant, quake-like FPS genre.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
It seems that a lot of people who like Bioshock are also fans of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Both are great games, yet people still like to tear apart every little flaw and blow everything out of proportion.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Mem
old classics like System Shock 2 were way better

People keep comparing Bioshock to SS2, so I borrowed SS2 from a friend to see how it was. Well for starters, you don't start with a gun, you can't even use a gun unless you're specifically trained for it, anything hackable requires level 4 hacking or higher, which is basically impossible to get, and after about 1 hour of game play I found myself using a wrench against guys with shotguns and monkeys shooting fireballs. Even something like Jedi Academy set to "jedi master" difficulty is significantly easier than the easiest setting in System Shock 2.

These game reviews start to mean very little when Bioshock has a 9.0 on Gamespot, then System Shock 2 has an 8.5
What exactly does that mean? Bioshock is better than the worst game in history? That could mean anything.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: ShawnD1
old classics like System Shock 2 were way better

People keep comparing Bioshock to SS2, so I borrowed SS2 from a friend to see how it was. Well for starters, you don't start with a gun, you can't even use a gun unless you're specifically trained for it, anything hackable requires level 4 hacking or higher, which is basically impossible to get, and after about 1 hour of game play I found myself using a wrench against guys with shotguns and monkeys shooting fireballs. Even something like Jedi Academy set to "jedi master" difficulty is significantly easier than the easiest setting in System Shock 2.

These game reviews start to mean very little when Bioshock has a 9.0 on Gamespot, then System Shock 2 has an 8.5
What exactly does that mean? Bioshock is better than the worst game in history? That could mean anything.

That's my opinion,even games like Undying are way better then Bioshock,fact is Bioshock offers nothing new,console users might think its new but PC wise there are better games with originality and better storyline etc..think I have covered all bases.

The game IS OVERATTED period.

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
I am almost done with the game and I am having a hard time finishing it. I must be losing interest in games because this game definitely is not a 10/10 experience for me, more like 8/10.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Games that lead me on a straight-and-narrow path never hold my attention to the end. I just feel like I'm on the developer's leash. Fallout is one of the few games I've actually bothered to finish, because it didn't force me to stay with the storyline - it gave me the freedom to go off on a tangent, but the story was good enough to keep me interested. Almost the same with Fallout 2 (although I stopped playing at the maze in the Enclave - those parts piss me off).

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
Havok and Unreal engines used in Bioshock give it a 2004 look and feel, so much so it reminded me of the game Painkiller (2004).

Gameplay and storyline are good, AI is excellent. I enjoy startling a splicer walking around pissed off talking to themselves. Watching them dive for water after being set ablaze, that's impressive AI.

Overall, it's worth thirty bucks, but not $49. I hope with Crysis and Alan Wake we see something new. Dated physics/game engines and repetitive play (splicers) detract from an otherwise good storyline. If it weren't for plasmids, I'd be quite tired of killing splicers..

deveraux

Mar 21, 2004
I just finished the game. There are a few things which are a huge credit to the game, such as the AI, the atmosphere and basically, the attention they put to detail in the surroundings. I also thought that they portrayed the little sisters well enough such that I felt quite bad when I wanted to harvest them, but maybe that's just me.

Having said that, I do not find linear games too exciting. I prefer games that let you do whatever you want or, if it has to be linear, at least give you the opportunity to approach the encounter in a way that works for you. This game is not a FPS/RPG hybrid, its a FPS with very little RPG elements, the only ones being choosing which plasmid/tonic you equip and even that is rather cut and dry IMO.

Possible Spoiler:
I also did not like the ending and I've seen many people complain about it too. The build up toward the ending was good and I love all those tapes you find describing the world etc.
End Spoiler

In the end, I agree that its overrated. Few games keep me coming back to play them over and over again. Fallout 2 was one such game. I also rather enjoyed Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines although that may just be a quirk in me but I like that at the beginning at least, I could approach any situation with at least 2 options if not 3.

PC gaming has probably spoiled a lot of us due to the more complex set of gaming variables and choices we have been given. Very few things are original anymore and the only thing remaining, is to somehow merge various elements into a single game and nothing short of that will satisfy us. Whether this will succeed, remains to be seen and it is partially because of this that I'm curious to see how "Spores" will turn out (if it ever gets released).

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
whoa...Gameplay was good.

I liked it more than most. Including HL2 and D3. Killing wasn't annoying and the whole pervessness in the story had me hooked.

The plasmids added a little flavour though I agree with many they started to have less of an effect more into the game.

Dethfrumbelo

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2004
Compared to recent games, Bioshock is a 90%+. Compared to the greatest of all time, an 80%. IMO.

While well-made and technically sound, personally it didn't do much for me in terms of lasting impressions. I've already forgotten about it.

CrystalBay

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2002
I think the sado/perverted theme in the storyline, plus the incredible art, and sound work set this game apart from almost all ever produced...

marmasatt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Originally posted by: CrystalBay
I think the sado/perverted theme in the storyline, plus the incredible art, and sound work set this game apart from almost all ever produced...

I agree. (spoiler ahead?). And the atmosphere keeps you engaged. Walking in Fort Frolic with noises on the ceiling and tiles and rocks falling in front of you to the floor, then behind you, as you look around and up to see where your enemy is. Then you turn around to see a woman walking toward you slowly, then she does some type of non-chalant handspring (a la Bladerunner) is fantastic. Anyone get that Bladerunner feel? The subtleties, while still being original and not being a blatant rip off are what makes the game fresh.

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
Stalker + HL2 + Bioshock = all great games and large, stunning technical achievements.

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
So will you admit the game is not perfect?

Sure, I'll admit that it isn't perfect, but I didn't expect it to be. That doesn't stop me from thoroughly enjoying the game as it exists.

I guess I aimed too high,bugs etc not withstanding there was just not enough for me to play the game for long periods at a time(you know how some games get you hooked and you can't put them down ,well Bioshock is not one of them),I had to play it in short periods at a time,there are a lot better recent games out there and nothing you say will change that.

Geez mem, it's like you're bashing for the sake of a good bash here. It's okay that you don't think much of BioShock, really it is.

I still find it funny how people can rate this game so high :shocked:

I hope I'm not the only person who's said this to you, but, I rate it highly because I LIKE it.

covert24

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2006
i recently installed bioshock and it was pretty cool until it crashed and my game save was deleted. The only thing i didn't like about it was when people jumped out from no where and got right on top of you, meanwhile your vision is blurred from moving around too fast and you cant see anything. So i uninstalled it and went on to go play oblivion. much better game.

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Originally posted by: Starbuck1975
I think the respawning in Bioshock is entirely appropriate...Rapture is supposed to be a living, breathing city...and nothing says video game like clearing an area, and having it remain static and clear forever.

Think about how the military clears a building or a city...if you don't establish security behind you, guess what, the bad guys come back in and take the rooms you previously cleared.

The "citizens" of Rapture most certainly should be able to travel freely across the city just as your character does, and thereby populate rooms and areas already "cleared".

What I think is great about Bioshock is that if you hack all of the turrets and security cameras, you are essentially providing some security in previous areas...so you can just sit back and let Rapture's defenses provide you with more money, supplier and ammo.

Exactly right on all counts. :thumbsup: I like to try something different every now and then, and BioShock delivered.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: HardWarrior
So will you admit the game is not perfect?

Sure, I'll admit that it isn't perfect, but I didn't expect it to be. That doesn't stop me from thoroughly enjoying the game as it exists.

I guess I aimed too high,bugs etc not withstanding there was just not enough for me to play the game for long periods at a time(you know how some games get you hooked and you can't put them down ,well Bioshock is not one of them),I had to play it in short periods at a time,there are a lot better recent games out there and nothing you say will change that.

Geez mem, it's like you're bashing for the sake of a good bash here. It's okay that you don't think much of BioShock, really it is.

I still find it funny how people can rate this game so high :shocked:

I hope I'm not the only person who's said this to you, but, I rate it highly because I LIKE it.

As I said I came away with mixed feelings about the game,I just can't see how they can give this game 10/10 etc..if you like the game a lot that's fine by me(since we all like and expect different things from games etc),however I was trying to figure out how most reviewers can give this game a perfect score.I actually stopped posting in this thread until you meantioned my name ;).
Remember I' not having ago at you guys,we are all just posting our feedback ,comments about the game.
Anyway happy Bioshock gaming,I've moved on now to playing other games ,btw got my pre-order in for Jericho :).