Bio Shock or Gears of War

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Bioshock is worth about $15. No replayability, and after you know the "twist" it gets old fast.

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007
Originally posted by: Modeps
Gears of War actually has a lot of replay value...

What?

Gears of War is one of the most linear, low on options games out there. That's not a bad thing - such a tight control over the gamespace and player interaction allows them to be very precise in the kind of experience they deliver to the player - but it sure as hell doesn't involve "replay value".

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
Another vote for Bioshock here.
It has some originality, and I enjoyed the environment and atmosphere.
GoW was OK, but it seemed like the same old thing to me.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Bioshock for sure. It was pretty easy, but a lot of fun. The first Big Daddy fight is a challenge, but later ones are only mediocre. Come on, there are SEVERAL guns that shoot lightning and your fists can shoot bees.

Only get Gears if you have a friend that wants to play it with you. It's a piece of shit by itself.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: s44
Bioshock is worth about $15. No replayability, and after you know the "twist" it gets old fast.

I thought the game was a lot more exciting after the twist. The gameplay got better and better right up until the end, where the last boss was a little easy but a lot of fun to kill.

Storyline gets an A- at the worst

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: TheKub
Bioshock was a great game but I tried playing it a second time and just couldn't do it.

I played GoW straight though 3 times (different difficulties). I see people harping on the story and length of GoW and Im not sure what game they were playing, because I really enjoyed it. I have never played it multiplayer, so I cant comment on it (sick of dumbasses back in the DoD 1.3 era).

I enjoyed Crysis too, but didn't feel like playing it through a 2nd time (yet).

Yeah, seriously, how can you complain about the Gears of War storyline when it clearly doesn't even have one :p

Not that there's anything wrong with that, Doom was awesome after all and its storyline fits in a paragraph.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: ja1484

What?

Gears of War is one of the most linear, low on options games out there. That's not a bad thing - such a tight control over the gamespace and player interaction allows them to be very precise in the kind of experience they deliver to the player - but it sure as hell doesn't involve "replay value".

I played through the Gears campaign 4 times on the 360 and once on the PC. 3 of those times were alone, the other 2 were with a coop partner. Not to mention the multiplayer aspect which is pretty easy to get into and doesn't have a steep learning curve. That is "replay value", and I'm not the only one who feels that way about Gears.

As for the folks who say it doesn't have a storyline, they weren't paying attention. It does... its indeed weak, but its not terrible and for a straight up action game, it could have been a lot worse. Comparing Gears story to Doom's is asinine. Doom really didn't have one in the game other than a piece of text between episodes.

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007
Originally posted by: ja1484

What?

I played through the Gears campaign 4 times on the 360 and once on the PC. 3 of those times were alone, the other 2 were with a coop partner. Not to mention the multiplayer aspect which is pretty easy to get into and doesn't have a steep learning curve. That is "replay value", and I'm not the only one who feels that way about Gears.

As for the folks who say it doesn't have a storyline, they weren't paying attention. It does... its indeed weak, but its not terrible and for a straight up action game, it could have been a lot worse. Comparing Gears story to Doom's is asinine. Doom really didn't have one in the game other than a piece of text between episodes.

Yes, you played through it four times...and it was the same game each time. I can give a little ground on the second playthrough as you can take the other side of the "two choice" paths. That said, just because you yourself enjoy playing it multiple times doesn't mean it has inherent replay value for the community at large, as replay value in common usage equates to new experiences from the same game.

Gears does have a weak story with barely acceptable writing, but who cares. That's not why I'm here, and it's not why I love the game.

Renob

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
Wow lots of good info here, thanks all for your input.

In the end I just ended up getting both games :) oh and CoD4

Dream Operator

Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Renob
Wow lots of good info here, thanks all for your input.

In the end I just ended up getting both games :) oh and CoD4

LOL, 2 pages of discussion and he gets them both!!!

BTW, if your into Half Life 2, check out the Fake Factory mod. It replaces textures, music, sounds and models. As of version 8 the upgrades to the source engine for Ep2 are incorporated into the entire game. Also changes the mood of the game to be a bit darker. You might not want it if you've never played the game because it changes so much, but it's great for a second time through. I'm currently playing it, almost done with the main game. Looks a hell of a lot better to me. They do recommend 4GB of RAM and a 64-bit OS. Hopefully your hot new system is up to it!

Renob

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
They do recommend 4GB of RAM and a 64-bit OS. Hopefully your hot new system is up to it!

Woot just finished HL2 and loved it, I will load up the MOD as far as my new system goes Im running both XP and Vista 64 :) with 4 gigs of mem

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I've just finished Bioshock for the second time and I absolutely loved it. I now think it's the second best game of 2007, behind Stalker.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: KeypoX
bioshock was good, mass effect is pretty sweet too.

I hated Bioshock,worst game of the year award 2007 for me,can't believe I actually purchased that POS (boring, overhyped etc..)as to Mass Effect well thats a whole new ball game,great story and worth buying,it was a little short but not as short as Bioshock.

I would say go Mass Effect (its not on your list but what the heck gives you another choice ;) ).

I've just finished Bioshock for the second time and I absolutely loved it. I now think it's the second best game of 2007, behind Stalker.

Stalker was great,so was The Witcher, that's my top two for 2007 ....Don't get me started again on Biocrap ;).

KeypoX

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Mem
Originally posted by: KeypoX
bioshock was good, mass effect is pretty sweet too.

I hated Bioshock,worst game of the year award 2007 for me,can't believe I actually purchased that POS (boring, overhyped etc..)as to Mass Effect well thats a whole new ball game,great story and worth buying,it was a little short but not as short as Bioshock.

I would say go Mass Effect (its not on your list but what the heck gives you another choice ;) ).

Stalker was great,so was The Witcher, that's my top two for 2007 ....Don't get me started again on Biocrap ;).

stalker was great, heard the witcher was terrible

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007
Originally posted by: cheapherk
I stayed clear from Gears of Wars because of the supposedly bad pc controls.

PC controls for GoW far > console controls.

Seriously, who the hell wants to aim and fire with an analog stick? Anyone? Bueller?

Didn't think so.

TheKub

Golden Member
Oct 2, 2001
As for the folks who say it doesn't have a storyline, they weren't paying attention. It does... its indeed weak, but its not terrible and for a straight up action game, it could have been a lot worse.

The story wasn't very deep, but the mood and environment the game brings to the table adds alot. Predator didn't have much of a story but it still succeeded as a bad ass movie.